Brink Character Customiser Shows Its Face

By John Walker on January 18th, 2010 at 12:14 pm.

He's totally shifting.

Brink is showing all sorts of potential. Back at E3 I was rather taken aback by the possibilities for blurring the lines of team-based online gaming and offering a linear narrative. And also slightly bemused by it all. There’s a big old preview here. Below is a video showing off the character customisation, but carrying with it a bunch of more useful information. The body type you create, it seems, isn’t just for your aesthetic pleasure, but also defines the role your character will play and the types of equipment he can use.

This is primitive just now – I think it’s little more complicated than two or three bulk settings. But it does suggest where this could go next – more subtle changes in ability based on the physique you choose. Also, the video gives a few more clues about the opposing sides, and the role unlockable extras will play as you level up. Oh, and it demonstrates very clearly why some phrases shouldn’t be Anglicised. “Bad arse” indeed.

Via VG247, as you may have noticed by the giant obscuring box those show-offs put on the video.

, , , .

1. Web Cole says:

Promising indeed.

2. Node#1006 says:

I’ve got a bad arse too, being ill and all that.

Game looks interesting, although APB will garner more interest from me.

3. Adrian says:

this looks rather nice! idk about the armour tho. the armor made from tires looks cool but whats up with the plastic bags lol. i wouldn’t choose these as protection in a gun fight^^

4. duel says:

good to see the physique of your character has an overall in game effect. But what else could effect your playing stats, would the rubber tyres give you more protection, or just get in your way? lol

5. Optimaximal says:

2:16 = Joe Satriani

6. Turin Turambar says:

So choosing torso = choosing class.

• Man Raised By Puffins says:

As I understand it selecting a physique affects mobility, health and ability to carry heavy weapons, but the actual classes are layered on top of that.

7. The Sombrero Kid says:

i’m sure the physique will have an effect on the free running in the game also.

8. Richeh says:

I really like the idea of all the members of a squad trying to achieve different goals, or the same one by different means. But the guy narrating it does sound like a Tory MP talking to high school kids.

9. Calabi says:

Why does everything have to have tattoos? I hate tattoos(except when they work as armour).

• FRIENDLYUNIT says:

Well some people like them. Some people even have them.

Thanks for sharing the hate, BTW. I’m going to go into the bathroom and try and scrub mine off, then perhaps I’ll have a lay down somewhere and cry myself to sleep.

10. Senethro says:

Looks taste mate.

Body size determines health, speed, ability to do SMART moves and class ability recharge. You choose a class after this.

11. Premium User Badge Vandelay says:

I’m wondering how much differentiation there will be between the two sides. Although the armour obviously looked completely different for the two sides, the characters looked identical when they weren’t wearing any armour. That is made even worse when you can pick the colour of the clothing. What if you had two players on opposing teams wearing the same colour? Things could end up getting a bit a confusing, which could be resolved easily with a forced colour for each side. I know that would go against the complete customisation, but I think it would benefit the gameplay.

Besides that, looks quite interesting and I can’t think of many games where the customisation of your character’s appearance actually affects gameplay.

• Shalrath says:

“the characters looked identical when they weren’t wearing any armour.”

Did you expect them to look different or something? A cop in civilian clothes looks like.. a civilian, do they not?

12. fulis says:

zzz
    It looks like a.. character customization system!
    Who really gives a crap what colour your shirt is? People will barely even tell anyway

If you’re going to have character customization in an online FPS I think it should be much more radical, the way custom skins are or the way you could mix heads and bodies in quake 3

13. Mr.Bigglesworth says:

I hope it’s not gonna be a shitty console port like MW2.

And i can’t stand when those damn Xbox buttons pop up while playing on a PC. Dark Void is a good example, Press [X], press [B], that’s annoying as hell, things like that makes want to punch a baby or optionally a puppy

14. blaine says:

So the general idea is that if you customize yourself a black guy – you get a skill for stealing bycicles or something?

15. Moorkh says:

Fa! No girl avatar no buy! Damn sexists – and bodytypists, too, apparently!

16. fishyjoes says:

Why do they look as ugly as Gears of war-ugly? I dont wanna look like that!

17. heartless_ says:

Looking good.

18. Rei Onryou says:

Splash Damage always fills me with nerd joy. I just hope this is successful and brings back the W:ET awesomeness.

19. Zyrxil says:

A video game character walks into a bar. Bartender says “Why the long face?”

20. Shadowcat says:

Not bad, but the interface could use some love. It seemed that you had to blindly cycle through each option in turn, rather than just selecting the one you wanted from a list. Making his shirt orange involved making it about five other arbitrary colours first.