Hot Wheels: German Truck Simulator Demo

By Jim Rossignol on January 18th, 2010 at 1:28 pm.

Hot hot! That’s right, SCS Software are back once again with their latest commercial vehicle simulator. This time it’s German Truck Simulator, which contains trucks apparently “inspired by real designs from seven major European truck manufacturers, including official license from MAN.” Once again you’ll be driving round a miniaturized version of the country in question, in order to “deliver cargo between 18 major German cities connected by major highways. Pick from over 60 different loads.” Yea, that’s the stuff. Get the demo here.

, .

1. Ab says:

God help me, I like driving, and I like Germany. I’m downloading this.

2. Ian says:

Truck yeah!

3. Mistabashi says:

This reminds me of the legendary desert bus game…

4. Javier-de-Ass says:

this thing is a lot better than euro truck simulator

5. Imperialles says:

“60 different loads”–why? Is there some physics magic involved, or are the developers merely trying to appease the many different transported goods roleplaying fandoms?

6. Monchberter says:

I like trucking and I like to truck.

• Monchberter says:

here, for you oldsters

• Web Cole says:

Was just about to link to that :D

• Richard Clayton says:

Monchberter: Thanks for putting a smile on an “oldsters” face. Maybe the UK version should be named “I like Trucking”, feature hedgehog powerups and hitch-hikers…

7. Toine says:

My name is buck, and I like to truck.

8. Tyrmot says:

Ha, beat me to the punch on that one. Glad it’s not just me!

9. ulix says:

I have to say the graphics look extremely good for a game like this. Should I download… hmmm… not sure, although what I find most disturbing with all these sims is how awful the graphics are most of the time. So I probably should download…

10. copirate says:

does it have the pee in a bottle and throw it on the side of the road simulation?

11. Robomutt says:

Downloading now gods help me. Ooh it’s JUST finished. C’mon Dortmund GET.

12. Glove says:

I was just about to say something snarky and belligerent about how brain-rottingly dull this looks, but then I started to download the demo. I have no idea why, and this does not scare me. I feel like a better person!

13. XM says:

UK version is out next month: http://www.uktrucksimulator.com/

• Scuzzeh says:

It even has the Forth bridges in it, meaning it presumably has the M90 meaning I can relive my boring almost weekly drive up to Dundee except in a truck!

14. Diogo Ribeiro says:

It’s not good unless it’s made by MAN.

15. Richard Clayton says:

Having driven trucks for a living for a short while (albeit not the articulated variety) it does look fairly authentic: the cab bobs at low speed and the height and space in the cab all look pretty realistic.

However it is not the most interesting job in the world and I guess that is going to be the key: can they actually make a game out of this and can they make it fun.

The only major challenge is maneovering them in yards (particularly busy ones). That and finding ways to keep yourself focused and awake.

I’m interested enough to download the demo, anyway.

16. Bhazor says:

Well I’d say it’s easier to get a few flying lessons (~£150 from Boots for 2 lessons) than it is to drive a big old truck like this down a motorway. So I can imagine a market for this even if it doesn’t personally appeal to me.

17. Matt Casey says:

I just dropped off a load of cheese at Nurnberg… Missed the bloody turn off from the 45 to the 5… Arse. Blew the deal… Oh and ran into the back of a couple of Golfs or something…

What they need is a multiplayer version of this so I can get on the CB an warn other drivers to keep clear of the carnage I left behind me.

That ‘s half an hour of my life….!

18. Oak says:

After they charmed me with Bus Driver, I suppose I owe it to SCS to haul a few loads of cheap furniture to Stuttgart.

• Richard Clayton says:

Is this the reality of digital distribution? Is this how Steam delivers copies of Halflife 2 around the planet. If it isn’t, it should be!

19. protobob says:

I like steering with the mouse. I like the fact that I can use left-alt to turn my head (just like in Arma 2), but I don’t like the fact that the base mouse sensitivity in the game is so low, and turning my head to look at side mirrors takes too much mouse movement. The game lets you tweak driving sensitivity, but not mouse sensitivity for other things and this is really annoying.

20. Irish Al says:

I bought Euro Truck Simulator. There, I’ve said it, I feel better.

21. Petethegoat says:

Part of me really wants to purchase this.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH MEEEEEE

22. Pew says:

I’ll wait for the Jeremy Clarkson DLC where I can do the prostitute slaying bonus missions.

23. MinisterofDOOM says:

This is actually pretty fun. Definitely needs analog inputs, especially for steering. Vehicle models are good. The actual driving behavior of the trucks is pretty good and there’s good player feedback. The lack of damage modeling or collisions that consist of more than simply coming to a stop extremely rapidly is disappointing, though.

If there’s an ideal country to set a driving sim in, it’s Germany.

It’s a pretty well put-together game. I love driving and I love big trucks. I may just have to buy the full version of this.

24. Legionary says:

I played the demo. After about five minutes I tried to enter the autobahn the wrong way and beached my trailer on a hill, leaving me blocking both lanes.

Incidentally, I am excited to see Saxton Hales’ MANN Co officially licence a game.

25. terry says:

I would try the demo of this, but I actually bought Trainz the other day from a bargain bin for frankly baffling reasons, so I’ve had my fill of transporting goods pointlessly from one location to another, although I’m a little dismayed that I’ve only been doing it in a straight line, so truly European 5-a-side Truck Simulator offers an exciting new dimension in this genre. Probably.

26. James Martin says:

Thanks for the effort you took to expand upon this topic so thoroughly.
    Tires are among the most important components of your car. They are the only components of your car to make contact with the surface of the road, so they alone transmit the energy produced by your car’s engine to the ground. They determine in large part the overall handling and performance of any motor vehicle. For all of these reasons, it is important that you are careful when shopping for a new set of tires. There are many tire options covering wide ranges of price, performance, and appearance.