IGF Student Showcase Winners Announced

By John Walker on January 19th, 2010 at 1:10 pm.

Always reminds me of a young Chris Morris.

The 190 student entries to the IGF awards have been whittled down to the finalists. Or the “winners” as the IGF rather sweetly calls them, before later telling all but one of them that in fact they weren’t quite as winnery as the one that gets the IGF Student Showcase Award. The list and links are below. Congrats to all.

Boryokudan Rue (UCLA)
Website here.

Continuity (Chalmers University of Technology / University of Gothenburg)
Playable here.

Devil’s Tuning Fork (DePaul University)
Download from here.

Dreamside Maroon (DigiPen Institute Of Technology)
Download from here.

Igneous (DigiPen Institute Of Technology)
Download from here.

Paper Cakes (Utrecht School of the Arts & USC)
Trailer here.

Puddle (ENJMIN, France)
Download from here.

Puzzle Bloom (DADIU, Denmark)
Play here.

Spectre (USC Interactive Media)
Download from here.

Ulitsa Dimitrova (Kunsthochschule Kassel, Germany)
Download from here.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Cooper says:

Woo.

Some of my favourites mini games have come from these student showcases. Sure, they’re often far too short, but they have the odd moment of brilliance.

“Tag: The power of paint” was my favourite from last year, also Crayon Physics and City rain came out of these showcases.

2. SAeN says:

Igneous provided 20 minutes of pure enjoyment for me this year, And I still go back to it if im waiting for my beans to cook.

3. HidesHisEyes says:

Any particular recommendations that aren’t puzzle games?

4. Okami says:

This one sounds awesome: http://www.igf.com/php-bin/entry2010.php?id=444

This game is about the seven year old Pjotre, a homeless child in St. Petersburg. Pjotr is chainsmoker and has to get cigarettes all the time.
    He spends his time with robbing, begging, visiting his mom, the prostitute and one time he even falls in love with a girl.
    His life will never change. And once the player gets bored and stops playing, Pjotr will lay down an freeze to death in the Russian winter.

5. toeofdoom says:

Strange, I played The Devil’s Tuning Fork recently, but while I found it intriguing I didn’t really like it as it didn’t seem to live up to the idea. “Echolocation” essentially meant having to click whenever you wanted to see and that’s about it, the rest being a standard issue platforming game. I’m guessing the gameplay wasn’t a great contributor to their success (although I can see how everything else could hold them up).

As for the rest, I guess I’ll have to check some out.

6. RagingLion says:

Already played and enjoyed some of Devil’s Tuning Fork and Puzzle Bloom after they were linked to previously by RPS.

Paper cakes looks really interesting and as if it’s got a great deal of charm and style. I think I’ll give Spectre a play since it seems to be tackling themes that I’ve recently been thinking could be interestingly explored in a game – I want to see how it goes about it. Otherwise many seem to have great potential but I’m not going to go out of my way to explore them unless RPS comments more on them in the future.

7. nabeel says:

I’m disappointed that Ratloop Asia’s Rocketbirds: Revolution! didn’t make it. I do like some of those finalists, though.

• Lambchops says:

@ Nabeel

Rocketbirds is up for the Grand Prize, Excellence in Visual Art and Excellence in Audio in the main competition – so is presumably exempt from the student showcase.

Of the titles there I’ve only played Continuity, Igneous and Puzzle Bloom over the course of the year. All were good; continuity was probably the best executed but the other too have much more potential to be expanded into very good games. Puzzle Bloom was rather lovely if I recall correctly.

• nabeel says:

Shows what I know! Thanks for the tip.

8. Babs says:

I though Continuity remarkably uninteresting actually. I got bored after 5 levels, the idea just doesn’t have the legs IMO. I guess it may or may not get interesting later on but really, if you create a flash game that doesn’t grab people in the first 10 minutes you’ve pretty much failed. No matter how clever your idea.

Looking forward to trying the others when I get off my netbook though, some of them look awesome.

9. Sagan says:

Haven’t played everything yet, but Igneous really impressed me. They have so much stuff going on on screen, that I wonder what kind of hardware that requires. Can new computers barely manage that, or could all games theoretically be so overwhelming?

10. Igor Hardy says:

AGS took both the top and the bottom!

11. datoo says:

I wonder if the developers of “Spectre” are familiar with the classic mac game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectre_%28video_game%29