If Only We Could Talk To The Introversion…

By Kieron Gillen on January 20th, 2010 at 12:05 pm.

Now, that would be something. AND IT WILL BE. While the 360 release of Introversion’s Darwinia+ isn’t RPS’ business, their launch event at BAFTA crosses over into our world for three reasons. Firstly, it’s a developer Q&A whose topics include “Which is better, Xbox or PC?”. Well, PC, obv. Secondly, I’m actually the chair and will be both prying truth from the Introversion boys and selecting raised hands from the audience. Thirdly, you get a free drink if you buy a ticket. Yay drinks! Anyway, it’s on February 19th and tickets are available now for a fiver each. Do come.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. AndrewC says:

DAMMIT! I have an event I am organising on 19th Feb. Could you change the date of your thing?

2. Taillefer says:

“PC, obv. This Q&A is OVER. Now, where’s my drink?”

3. mandrill says:

What is happening with Subversion? What is it? When can we see it? These are the questions I would ask were I able to attend but as I am sadly in Reykjavik I will allow others to ask them on my behalf. I want transcripts though.

• Vitamin Powered says:

I plan on attending, and I’ll probably be one of…. let’s face it, everybody there asking that question, but the chances of Introversion actually answering that are next to nil. Face it, they’re being very secretive about the actual purpose / gameplay behind Subversion, either to enhance publicity or (the likeliest option IMO) because a lot of the game hasn’t yet been nailed down, and they don’t want to raise false expectations (like, for instance, Lionhead).

4. Skeleton Key says:

I loved Darwinia and became completely obsessed by Multiwinia.
    I’m too far away to attend.
    Will there be a video or a transcript?

• Hodge says:

Aye, for those of us who can’t make it, video or audio would be magnificent.

I guess that’s up to the BAFTA folks, though.

5. Pemptus says:

Darwinia Shmarwinia. Give me the sequel of Uplink, the best Introversion game and one of the most captivating games ever.

6. Persus-9 says:

Sweet! Let’s pack the place with PC gamers and show them where their real fans are before they forget all about us like those ungreatful swines at RedLynx (I’m joking, I’m not really a total PC fanboy, honest!). I hope they bring more foam darwinians and I manage to catch one this time. :D

7. Ginger Yellow says:

Yes, please get some dirt on Subversion. I do worry it’s fallen by the wayside as they try to dig themselves out of their Multiwinian hole.

• PHeMoX says:

Yeah, I still think it was a very bad move to go the Multiwinia route of things. Perhaps it’s in hindsight too easy to judge as an outsider though, but did Darwinia really need multiplayer? I don’t think so. I must admit that I wasn’t much of a Darwinia fan though, although I did instantly like the visuals.

I am very VERY much looking forward to Subversion though. That project looks mighty interesting. :)

I’ve also been a die-hard fan of both Uplink and Defcon, so no bad words against introversion from me, but I think they’ve really overestimated their own success with Darwinia and the potential of Multiwinia.

• Kieron Gillen says:

Introversion couldn’t do a 360 version of Darwinia without having a multiplayer component.

KG

• Persus-9 says:

It still seems to me a rather odd requirement from Microsoft that all games must have multiplayer but I guess you can’t argue with their success. Still I think the PC ultimately a far better platform than the 360 will ever be because the PC is the wild frontier where people have the freedom to do crazy things like try and sell single player only games.

• Kieron Gillen says:

Perseus: From what I understand, it’s not that it has to be multiplayer – it needs something to make it different from previously available versions. They couldn’t just do Darwinia. They had to do Darwinia with new stuff.

KG

• Bhazor says:

Actually I think its that every game on the 360 has to make some use of Live and thats why single player games started to give away achievements to make use of the live card.

• Ginger Yellow says:

As far as I know, just incorporating leaderboards is enough to satisfy the “multiplayer” requirement. But maybe MS were offering some kind of support if they included a proper multiplayer component to Darwinia+.

Incidententally, I loved Multiwinia, along with all of Introversion’s other games. It’s just that it’s clearly been a financial disaster for them.

• Dave L. says:

You’ve got it right, Ginger Yellow. All XBLA games are required to support leaderboards in some way. There’s certainly no ‘You need to differentiate an XBLA version from previously available versions’ requirement, unless Introversion’s account manager at MS was lying to them.

I suspect that they thought a multiplayer component would boost their sales, and simultaneously give them more meaningful stats for the leaderboards.

I fear that Darwinia+ will end up being a killing blow to Introversion, though. There doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of excitement for it in the console mainstream..

• CMaster says:

It’s possible that nobody pointed out the cheap get-outs like Leaderboards to Introversion. Remember that they started down this path in 2005 so things weren’t as well established.

There’s also a bit somewhere on the internet about how IV initally began knocking out a really basic, really uniteresting multiplayer mode for Darwinia. Then they stopped and thought “hey, we’re making a shit game just to pay the bills. Isn’t that what we said we hated about the industry?” and went back to design Multiwinia as a good game.

Oh and in reply to other comments – don’t hope for any Subversion news. The line at Eurogamer was “we don’t have any news to give, game is still in protoyping etc phase”. Although when I asked privatley, I got a little more info out of them – nothing news worth though.

8. jsutcliffe says:

If you’re not going to return with Subversion information, you needn’t bother returning. :)

9. Malibu Stacey says:

I, for one, would like more Darwinia tbh. Subversion sounds good but the story of Darwinia was quite short (not criticising the price or anything, bought mine direct from them in pre-release IIRC) I felt & I’d love to see them explore the evolution of the Darwinians from the end of the game to when they become Multiwinians or something along those lines.
    Maybe Darwinia++? I reckon for something with such stylized graphics it’d need to be an expansion or an “expandalone”.

Essentially MORE DARWINIA STORY PLEASE. ME LIKE LITTLE GREEN 2D SPRITE MEN.

10. The_B says:

I feel there may be a slight flaw in this plan. The bar opens a whole 30 minutes before the Q&A session. If a Rock Band set ‘accidentally fell’ into the venue, no one would start alive. And by alive I mean sober. Especially Gillen.

• DJ Phantoon says:

There will be a Youtube recording of Kieron beginning questions with something like, “I GOTS… I GOTS A QUESHTION TO ASK YEW!” right?

11. Harbour Master says:

I’m wondering if the title is a Flight of the Conchords reference. Oh yeah, and I’m checking out my diary on Feb 19th.

• Harbour Master says:

Yay. I am free, even though I have no friends or time. I’ll wash my hands thoroughly so they are good to raise. I’ll be there.

12. Winterborn says:

@Harbour Master

It’s a reference to the Edge ‘if only we could talk to the monsters’ thing I thought? Flight of the Concords is good though, if you’re into it.

13. Rei Onryou says:

Tickets have been ordered. My question will either be “Can I have a high five?” or “Will you sign my Introversion collection (just make it out to eBay)?”

14. Harbour Master says:

Ah, yes. That makes more sense. I had The Humans Are Dead playing in my brain.