Regent’s Treat – Majesty 2: Kingmaker

By Alec Meer on January 20th, 2010 at 11:01 pm.

Good news, everyone. Last year’s sequel to the beloved, olden, indirect-control strategy game Majesty is to receive an expansion pack. Well, of course it bloody is. It’s an RTS. An RTS without an expansion pack is unthinkable. Where else would we get our new maps and units from? How else will we find out what ultimately happens to some supporting character we didn’t really care about? What else would we possibly do with that £15-25? RTSes get expansion packs? IT IS WRITTEN. That said, I wasn’t at all sure Majesty 2 would – despite being heir to a landmark game, it was a little underwhelming. A little too similar to its parent, and a whole lot too samey. Question is, does the upcoming Kingmaker fix any of that?

Not a lot’s being let on in the initial announcement, while the ever-crusty website bears no mention of it, but we’ll have an interview with someone on the dev team up soon that should shed more light as to how receptive they’ve been to complaints about M2, and what direction they’re taking with this expansion.

For now, what we know is this: goblins. Lots of goblins. Eight new maps full of the little bleeders, headed up by someone called Lord Blackviper, who’s planning to reintroduce a plague god called Grum-Gog into the semi-satirical fantasy land of Ardania. I always thought it was entirely satirical, but Googling for ‘Grum-Gog’ turned up a frankly frightening amount of Majesty lore. I guess a fantasy game without an extensive and slightly tedious backstory would be like an RTS without an expansion pack. You might not necessarily want it, but by God it’s gonna happen anyway.

In other Majesty 2 news – and possibly more exciting than Kingmaker – there’s a third patch on the way, which adds two things that definitely will shore up some of the game’s holes. First up, a random map generator: a much-adored feature of the first game, and a way of adding big happy dollops of replay value to the game. On a similar note is the second goodie, a map editor.

In other words: there’s a cartload of extra Majesty content en route, for free, so Kingmaker (which is due for download-only release ‘soon’) had better have something pretty significant up its sleeve to seem worth its $20 pricetag in the face of this. No mention of new units yet, but I’m guessing those goblins will eventually be recruitable as well as killable… The screenshots certainly suggest they’re something more organised and base-based than the usual fire’n'forget Majesty 2 creeps.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Vinraith says:

Hell, I’m inclined to buy an expansion for $20 just to thank them for releasing a random map generator and a map editor. Then again, I only paid $15 for Majesty 2 to begin with, so I suppose I can afford to be generous.

2. Bonedwarf says:

More games need random map generators.

• MajorManiac says:

I think all games should have them…Or at least randomly generated instances.

Borderlands would be fantastic if it did this. I know this is very hard to setup. I’ve done it myself on a 2D game, but definately worth while.

3. Flint says:

I really loved Majesty 2 but my progression was cut short by a game-crashing bug that appeared all the time in a certain mission. I wonder if the previous patch has sorted it – can’t really test immediately as I lost all my saves accidentally (and due to my own fault) – but if it’s not, I damn well hope this upcoming one does it.

4. sidereal says:

BUT I’M JUST A GNOOOOME

5. Javier-de-Ass says:

awesome. didn’t know about the random map and editor patch. that is almost a better update than the expansion seems to be. will buy

6. Sagan says:

Map editor and random maps would have been a great selling point for the addon. Releasing that for free might be a stupid move on their part.

But maybe it’s clever marketing, since it will get me to play the game again, and maybe I will want to buy the addon then.

7. JimmyJames says:

I’m so glad to see the random map generator coming – and as a patch rather than part of the expansion! I always thought M2 wasn’t samey enough.

@Flint – I had the same issue, but I uninstalled in frustration. Here’s hoping that bug is fixed as well.

8. Jimbo says:

I rather enjoyed Majesty 2, until I realised all of the missions were essentially identical. It’s a great concept, but it could have been so much more.

9. PeopleLikeFrank says:

So did they patch up the AI at all? That was the dealbreaker for me in M2. Made it about half-way through, but the fact that non of my heroes seemed to have any of the unique behaviours for their hero type, plus their general stupidity killed the fun.

10. Benjamin Finkel says:

Better hope Majesty didn’t choose you with that perk. Better obliterate him in Blood Feud. It’s the only way to be sure.

Ben

11. Pew says:

I’m meltiiiiiiiiiiiiing… at the sound of this news.

12. bill says:

What are these warhammer goblins doing in my soup?

13. Ragabhava says:

ROFL!

The very first asociation I had when reading the headline was a frail old man with a pointy hat eagerly rushing towards giants or dragons at the very first occasion. You provided the soundtrack to these scenes.

14. Ginger Yellow says:

Hmmm. I paid all of £7 for Majesty 2. Enjoyed it at the price, but I’m not sure I’d want to put down twice that for an expansion. Maybe if they make the heroes a bit smarter about their priorities.

15. Heliocentric says:

If they properly add evil beings you command it would be a step to what was promised for dungeon keeper 3. I hope the map editor produces a “cottage modding” industry, might produce better content than the actual game.

16. Chandrose says:

Never played it, but I wanted to want to. Hearing about the gibbled AI was the deal breaker for me. What’s the point of the cool bounty system if the hero doesn’t respond to my offer? Has this been fixed in the patches so far, or are we hoping for this fix in the third patch?

I’ll probably wait for a price drop or Steam sale, then give it a try.

Comment on this story