Roboticism: Supreme Commander 2 Vids

By Jim Rossignol on January 20th, 2010 at 11:30 am.

Robots, tanks, super-weapons, more robots, more tanks. An enormous explosion. You probably know the sort of thing, but it’s still worth having a gander at Gas Powered’s latest, Supreme Commander 2, in action. Can it actually innovate as Mr Taylor intends? Can it still keep our interest with ludicrous sci-fi death machines? Well, probably.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Andy says:

I’m not sure if this is a complaint or not but it looks a hell of a lot like the first one.
    Given that nothing really matched SupCom 1′s scale there’s definitely an itch here that could very well be scratched by it’s sequel.

2. kyrieee says:

Ugh, I bet Chris Taylor thinks that VO is kickass. Puts me off

Also, lag in your gameplay vids, C/D?

3. Metalfish says:

Oh dear.

Terrible sub-GCSE writing with crappy voice acting? (I believe the original plundered the cast of Ghost in the Shell). Massive frame rate drops?

What the hell are they doing?

4. Adrian says:

this seems to completely lack the huge maps of supcom 1! i think the robots look cool but all the fighting seems to take place in narrow corridors with only a few units… i have that in like every other rts game. the big scale was what made supcom 1 so awesome! please please dont make them do a dow2 clone with robots instead of space marines :( PLEASE!

• goodgimp says:

I thought so as well at first. Don’t worry, the big maps are there. The reason for the small, cramped maps you see in videos is because they keep trying to show off the campaign.

Go look at some screenshot galleries and you’ll see some nice, wide-open maps.

5. mandrill says:

hmm looks alot like sup-com 1, but prettier. I’m willing to bet that any changes to the formula will be superficial at best.

6. Kyle says:

The emphasis on more story doesn’t really feel needed, to me. The universe they’ve created isn’t all too vibrant (colors aside) so why should anyone really give two poops about whatever tale they’re attempting to spin?

I feel like — and this very much a knee jerk response — SupCom2 may be focusing on elements that ultimately aren’t going to help the overall game. We’ll see, though; March is still a ways off.

• PHeMoX says:

I agree entirely. This game barely really needs a story. It’s massive scale, it’s epic battles, that’s what it should be all about.

I’m guessing there will be plenty of that though, so who knows, perhaps it’s deeper story will simply be a neat bonus. I just hope they aren’t going to pretend they’re making a C&C game here. :p

That series really lost it’s focus a while back and tends to overemphasize it’s story, when gameplay stays the exact same and doesn’t evolve.

7. Bhazor says:

The crucial question for me is are the ground units still thick as planks?

I was always amazed at how exciting the aerial dog fights were with all their weaving and swooping and midair collisions. In comparrison to the ground units who’d just drive straight at each other or stand there whilst being hit by artillery thats about three meters out of range of their own weapons. If the ground units have a bit more vim, pep and a can do attitude I’ll be very very happy.

• Thants says:

Yes! The whole point of these games is higher-level strategy, you shouldn’t ever have to micromanage your individual units. The most important thing they could add for this sequel is really good unit-level AI. That’s really what would improve the game the most.

But, unit-level AI isn’t much of a flashy selling point, so it looks like we’re getting more story, smaller maps, and simplified gameplay instead. Talk about missing the point.

8. LionsPhil says:

Ye Gods. “Don’t get cocky soldier”? “It’s about time”? I’ve seen B-grade crap on Movies4Men with better writing than this.

I think the Squeenix angle may have just killed this one.

• Dominic White says:

It’s a bit of a stretch to suggest that Square-Enix are the force behind the increased focus on plot. Chris Taylor just seems kinda out of touch with his audience. It’s like he has his information filtered through a legion of yes-men and focus groups before it reaches his ears.

9. Farewell says:

It’s a secret!

They’ll likely ship the game with more open maps for multiplayer/skirmish games, I have no intention of getting this game for the sake of the singleplayer campaign after all…

Also, I hope that’s not the in-game music they’re intending to use.

10. BeardedMonkey says:

Just looks like a really half-arsed pair of video’s. I wonder what they pay PR and advertising for

11. LionsPhil says:

Yeah, I know, how dare they show game content in the trailers. It should have had more “Brand Management Consultant” talking heads telling us how they were really excited and passionate about leveraging the product to provide maximal value to consumers.

12. Carra says:

It has snails vs lobster fights!

I’ll keep an eye on this one.

13. SwiftRanger says:

Gametrailers probably put the “hip” music on those vids, the voices and lines are corny but that’s not my main point of interest in this game. Graphics look neat but you can still see plenty of bugs in those videos. If you know how much SupCom changed in its last few months then it’s not unreasonable to expect those glitches will be sorted out.

It’s gonna ship with at least 20 multiplayer/skirmish maps, only thing that’s a big unknown and which no attentful journalist (*sigh*) asked about is the multiplayer. It’s about time they spill the beans on that, that it runs through Steam doesn’t exactly instill much confidence.

• Noc says:

I think the corniness of the dialog would be less of a “thing” if Chris Taylor hadn’t spent the entirety of the last interview gushing about the importance of real and robust characters, and how the campaign’s going to be awesome.

14. Tei says:

More games sould work like EVE:
    – get around this ship, rotate around it at 500 miles distance.
    and stuff like that.

and harvesting sould be automatic, like in Command Conquer 1. this shit where you have to tag a small grub of black metal for harvesting is the worse type of micromanaging.

I don’t care if maps are made epic by the use of premades huge models, but I don’t think the style of maps of Demigod will work anywhere else than on a dota clone. I think i see bigmaps and maps withouth obvious chockepoints on the second videos, but the first video is full of crappy chockepoints. What is the strategy on a chockepoint? is just about who can build more, faster and push it all forward.

15. The Snee says:

I must admit I’m skeptical.

It’ll probably be enjoyable, but without the incredible Jeremy Soule soundtrack of it’s predecessors, I don’t see it working. Don’t get me wrong, I love techno and whatnot, but that was rubbish, and I find music to be very important.

The chokepoint issue does seem to be a big one. The things that show up red flags for me are:

A) The huge mob of large units swarming through a tight corridor into a base.
    To me, that makes the campaign look like you have to take a similar approach to to Forged Alliance: build a tech 3 superforce before you complete your first objective, otherwise you will be immediately annihilated. It also makes it seem like there is less of an emphasis on experimentals, not more, as they get lost in a sea of units just like them.

B) Gunship clouds.
    Anti-Air in the original was woefully inadequate against a horde of gunships. Even level 3 Sam sites would all focus on the first ship, annihilating it immediately, allowing the rest of them to demolish your base while they reloaded.

16. Rei Onryou says:

I hope that’s not the real music. TA and SupCom had the best soundtracks. Hell, one of TA’s tracks defined what epic scale battles mean to me. Just hearing The March Unto Death is enough to make a shiver run down my spine. It completely encompasses what having hundreds of units and explosions going on meant. The buildup of a massive army marching into battle, reaching a brutal crescendo. Nothing else compares.

What’s up with this techno shite?

17. PixelCody says:

2010, the year of many an RTS.

I was looking forward to it, what with the C&C and SupCom franchises both claiming some innovation this time around. I haven’t been sold on the gameplay by the trailers coming out of either camp though.

Comment on this story