Silent Hunter 5′s “Dynamic Campaign”

By Jim Rossignol on January 21st, 2010 at 10:58 am.

Those of you with a modicum of interest in Ubisoft’s latest iteration of the Silent Hunter series will probably interesting in seeing a bit of how the campaign might play out. Clearly this has been edited up with the action bits to be as fancy as possible, and won’t really get the hours of stalking enemies and peering through your periscope, but it does give an idea of the kind of events the game’s dynamic campaign should generated. You know the kind of thing: ships sinking, stuff exploding, allied commanders facepalming.

, , .

1. Andy says:

I have sooo wanted to get into silent hunter and bought the last two hoping beyond hope that ‘perhaps this time I’ll get it’ but no matter how many manuals and tutorials I read I’m still utterly rubbish at these games.
    Very pretty though and the landscape is impressive for a game that spends 90% of its time out to sea.

2. GriddleOctopus says:

Wow – the land, the foam on the waves, and the undersea seaweed are look amazing. One of the most consistently coherent and attractive franchises this, I’m so happy Ubi keep it going year after year.

With those looks, I’d be spending all my time cruising on the surface, if it wouldn’t mean getting pounded by artillery.

3. subedii says:

Get the protractor out, it’s time to calculate some torpedo settings.

Not to scare people away, you can set all those calculations to automatic if you want. In realism mode though, you’re going to be using trigonometry. Incidentally, German U-boats didn’t have the automatic timekeeper / calculator that the allied subs did, so playing SH5 on realism will be a bit more complicated with regards to making torpedo calculations.

I realise I’m horrendously geeky for being interested in this stuff, but it is awesome to stalk your targets, work out your readings and calculations, and wait those excruciating seconds after launch to see whether you were right. It’s genuinely satisfying when you get your calculations right and have your torpedoes slam home, before diving and disappearing into the ocean like a ghost.

• Rinox says:

Yes and then…BOINK

Dud torpedo

/rage

• Frenz0rz says:

Yeah, I swear half of those bloody T2s in SH3 were all duds. Although you’d only find out when they didnt veer wildly off course or even go underneath the damn ship. You were always far better off attacking at night and just using T1s.

4. Jochen Scheisse says:

Too few sub sim games have multi station co-op multiplayer. I fondly remember playing Dangerous Waters on a LAN with friends, having bought a red lightbulb before, controlling the radar and locating the enemies for captain and weapon stations. There should be a lot more of that for sub sims, and for Star Trek games of course.

• moyogo says:

That sounds brilliant, I’ll have to look at that game.

I’m horrible at these games (ships always spot my scope just above the surface from long distance in choppy water and stormy weather) but they’re very fun.

Tunips says:

Does Silent Hunter only play form the sub’s perspective? It’s such a beautiful engine, but my interest has always been in tootling around in surface ships and comparing the size of my turrets…

• Rinox says:

You can also opt for a free camera (costs you realism % though)

6. Jakkar says:

I don’t know whether this would bore me to tears within minutes or completely enthral me. I’m prone to having an imagination at the worst of times, and completely absorbing myself in the mindset of a game character when it provides freedom and a harsh challenge.

Red Faction: Guerilla can eat me for six hours at a time as I sink into the symbolic morale/control system and methodically plan hit and run bombings, car bombings, ambushes and acts of grand vandalism.

Grandalism. Whee.

.. But submarines do make such pretty explosions.

.. I imagine a fictional setting would help – more advanced technology, giant seamonsters as a significant though simple threat adding spice to missions.. Perhaps a sandbox setting, using the submarine as a means to piracy and moving from port to port with stolen loot.

Perhaps the ability to leave the sub and board craft stealthily with a dagger between my teeth.

Oh god. Submarine pirates. Gimme.

*ambles away muttering, with the occasional arr, ping!*

• subedii says:

“Captain, we’re getting pinged by enemy dolphins.”

“Dive angle 30, deploy squid countermeasures”

*Disappears into a cloud of ink*

• Jakkar says:

Yes.. YES!

• Noc says:

I think I smell a mod.

(The best mod.)

7. jackflash says:

SH 3 and 4 are two of my favorite games, and I will definitely pick this up, but the marketing folks are being a little generous to themselves calling this a dynamic campaign. Intelligent scripting, sure, but “dynamic campaign” it ain’t.

8. Frenz0rz says:

Ohoooh yeah, cant wait for this.

First person to sink the HMS Ark Royal gets a Knights Cross from zee F├╝hrer.

9. jsutcliffe says:

I’m surprised the series is popular enough for Ubisoft to be able to keep it going — Silent Hunter has never seemed to have broad appeal (the only person I know who likes it is my dad). I am quite tempted to give it a try though, because I’m a sucker for pretty graphics.

I’d prefer it if someone resurrected Subwar 2050 though.

• dan :/ says:

Subwar 2050! Man, I used to play that on our CD32. (Yes we were one of the few people that bought a CD32, what can I say, my dad was mental.)

Speaking of which, someone needs to remake Guardian as well.

10. High Memetic 80s Hero says:

I’m crossing my fingers somebody will mod some dynamic Das Boot soundtrack into this like they did for Silent Hunter 3.

Das Boot soundtrack + SH5 + Speakers turned to 11 = Balls and shaft being worked. Hell yes!

11. Anonymous says:

I hope they will not screw up like SH4, where the 3d resolution was locked to 1024×768 and no way to turn on AA.

Oh god the jaggies!

12. jsutcliffe says:

Anonymous Coward said:

Oh god the jaggies!

Hmm, I’d read about that when it was reviewed, and figured it would fixed by a patch or modded in some way. I’m glad I didn’t grab it if that’s still an issue.

• Dozer says:

Well SH3 is definitely possible to adjust the resolution, by means of a mod. Got a difficult-to-remember name like “SH3 High Res Mod” or something like that. I reinstalled SH3 a few months back, with the Grey Wolves supermod and the High Res mod and the SH3Commander better campaign thingie mod. Was brilliant until I remembered I have a horror of being underwater. Would cringe whenever the game camera went underwater.

So I got the TrackIR working again and went back to playing Il-2 Sturmovik :-)

13. Sergio says:

Yea dinamic campain is cool, but what about Wolf Pack?

14. Archonsod says:

Weirdly, it’s one of the few games due at the start of this year I’ve been able to muster up any enthusiasm for.

15. terry says:

I’m quite interested in this, but I’ve only just started playing SH3 after grabbing it over the Steam xmas sale. It seems plenty atmospheric and very nautical and I ge a kick out of jauntily emerging from the water only to dive instantly to the sea bottom to immediately rise again rapidly, presumably annoying my crew immensely. I managed to navigate the channel, draw a mess of “navigation aids” on my naval charts and shoot some boats with my deck gun in a haphazard manner, but I’ve yet to manage, well…anything in the torpedo tutorial. I’ve tried getting in close and firing, I’ve tried from far away and firing, I’ve tried salvos, single shots, firing slightly in front of the boat, firing slightly behind the boat, directly at the boat, over the boat, under the boat, I’ve tried firing flares into the bridges of the boats to blind the navigators, I’ve tried releasing the torpedo at almost point-blank range, I’ve tried subtle hints, gentle coaxing, threats, venomous rage – just cannot get the damn things to hit. I am supposed to sink 5 boats and can half sink one boat before running out of torpedoes and retreating to my lair in the channel to sulk. This is with everything torpedo-related set to “I am a moron” settings.

I’m intrigued by this dynamic campaign jobby though – reminds me of the venerable Novalogic (i think) game Wolfpack with which I had many fun times making tedious missions in the mission editor to annoy friends with.

16. Mark says:

I bought SH5 not bothering to read the info on it as I expected it to be a more polished version of SH4 which I loved. However afer installing it and finding out that it was like a first person shooter for getting around the different stations I shall have to go back to SH4. Unfortunately my eyes being not equal in strength make it impossible for me to play these 3D type games as I feel like throwing up after about 20 minutes.
    For me I wish they would just have increased the beauty of the graphics that SH4 had and left the way you could move, from one location to another instantly, alone. The 20 minutes I have played it so far make me realy wish I had decent eyes as it looks extremely beautiful. Maybe someone can make a mod so you can jump from station to station again like in SH4 that would then enable me to play the game again. Untill then I guess I’m left with the old, not so good graphics, of SH4. :o(
    Lesson learned though, “Read the blurb before you buy a new game” lol