At What Coste? New Splinter Cell Trailer

By John Walker on January 22nd, 2010 at 6:06 pm.

Aw, a nice cuddle.

As Splinter Cell Conviction nears, the potential-0-meter is pretty high. Many years of development, a lot of time dedicated to getting it right, it could be the new peak for Mr Fisher and his convoluted life. You can see a ton of footage here, should you wish. And below is a new trailer, introducing Victor Coste, who explains a bit about the fall of Sam Fisher, and his current state.

It’s a pretty decent trailer, it seems to show a degree of maturity in the approach this time. Not a great deal of the game itself. But some background.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Lobotomist says:

Is it only me. Or did the animation (especially in game sequences) look really stiff ? Like its 2-3 years old game ?

2. Psychopomp says:

The lip syncing looks *really* off

3. The Hammer says:

Mmm, in terms of scene-setting, that was nice.

The little bits of gameplay looked quite fluid, too.

@Lobo: Bad video compression, maybe?

4. Zyrxil says:

On one hand, this is the actual game that should’ve resulted from the Daughter Death plot of SC: Double Agent. Hell, they had the Beware Sam Fisher website that seemed to show he went rogue, but somehow, he just goes undercover as some ex arms dealer.

On the other hand, deciding to reinvent an existing character as cold and gritty with nothing to lose is just bad cliched writing. Splinter Cell 3 truly had great banter and believable arguments between Sam and the support team even in the middle of what could be bloodbaths. Way better than everything in SC1 & SC2, too. They finally got SC perfect with Chaos Theory then fuck it up with Double Agent, sigh.

• mcnostril says:

Having bought Double Agent during the Steam sale, I couldn’t agree more.

Double Agent is an enormous step back from both a gameplay and story perspective. Were it just one or the other, I’d feel compelled to trudge through the game anyway. but as it is I have no desire to continue the game (add to that the incredible amount of bugs and glitches on the pc port – a splinter cell where the lighting only works after some arcane .ini tweaking? weeeeee).

I’m a huge splinter cell fan; when that first title came out, I was awed by the fancy lighting and the gadgets (nightvision thermal goggles that go pweeeeee? sign me up!). It was practically the only reason I bought an Xbox. Screw metal gear with its convoluted story and improbably cool characters, this was some slightly believable Tom Clancy plot with a good-natured government killer and the fanciest light based sneaking since Thief. Pandora Tomorrow just built on the foundations: even though I wasn’t really all that interested in the story anymore, the interactions between Sam Fisher and his team were great, the gameplay held up, and the mulitplayer was bloody brilliant. Finally came Chaos Theory, where everything was just spot on. I’ve played through every game in the series several times, including DLC, god knows how many hours of multiplayer and the online co-op and despite some frustrating gameplay here and there, it was always quite enjoyable.

Then we get Double Agent. When I’d heard they killed Sam’s daughter, I was actually angry. Here’s a character that we get to know for three games, who is quite likeable despite being a trained assassin, and now they’re applying the old “I rage with generic angst” treatment that worked oh-so-well for Prince of Persia.
      It made me wonder, where do you go after you kill the main character’s kid? It’s one thing when you start with some angry character that’s lost someone and then work from there, but to take an already established protagonist and completely demolish him like that feels rather unfair to both the character and the player. Where *do* you go after that? There’s no way you can go back to the good ol’ Sam Fisher. A great story might be able to salvage the mess or play into what it’s like to have a broken protagonist, but Double Agent did none of that. It’s quite possibly the most important event in the character’s life as we know it, and it gets a short, crappy cutscene and a couple of mentions here and there, before we’re thrust into generic terrorism plot #38. I mean, the previous plots were also somewhat generic Tom Clancy fare (does that count? can you get generic brand names?), but we had a likeable protagonist to follow along with us. Now we have a mildly angry (too angry to be likeable, not angry enough to be compelling) hero, a bland supporting cast and reduced interactions between them due to the angst and undercover gimmick (I made it halfway through the game before I stopped and it was little more than an excuse to make the gameplay more frustrating).
      There’s also a bit that bugged me, which was the actual death. A drunk driver? That’s just depressing. It’s not dramatic, it doesn’t have some grand meaning, it doesn’t set itself up for some crazy revenge plot. It’s just a tad too real, a senseless death that happens for no good reason at all other than “c’est la vie.” In a game about spies and shady government operations, this is too normal, especially as a major plot device. It’s interesting to see Conviction going for the murder plot, because it’s as though they’ve realized that if you’re going to do something that drastic to a character, then it better amount to something.

In the end, they’ve pretty much killed Sam Fisher, and unlike Prince of Persia where we sort of got our likeable prince back (sort of) for the third one, there are no time travelling doodads in splinter cell. The character is screwed and we’re not getting him back. Some people might like the new gritty mad at the world Sam Fisher, but I’d be willing to bet it’s not going to be the same people who actually bought all the previous games.
      This trailer pretty much summed it up. Sam Fisher is dead. The problem is, they killed Sam Fisher for no good reason.

At least there’s the hope that Conviction might be the glorious send-off that Double Agent failed so utterly to be.

I could also go on and on about the many horrendous failings of Double Agent’s gameplay, but I’ve already rambled on for too long so I’ll shut up now and go fume in a corner.

By the way, is there any way to play the generation six version of double agent on PC?
      I hear it might be backwards compatible on the 360, but I won’t be getting one for quite some time yet. Apparently the old gen version double agent is vastly superior to the next gen version since it was made by Ubisoft Montreal. I’d really like to get my hands, from the sounds of it’s like Chaos Theory++.

5. Radiant says:

I /really/ want to play this game.
    Please be good!

6. westyfield says:

Is it just me, or does the guy in the banner image look like he’s ready to fire lightning from his hand?

7. Matt says:

“Strangle people with your stumps”

8. Shalrath says:

Does that sentence at the start say ‘potential-[i]zero[/i]-meter’?

I sense hidden worry.

9. radomaj says:

The video shows a second of a clip with this on top of it:” YT>>>>>>>dtr0483″. Naturally, I went to YouTube(YT) and got to the page of user dtr0483 http://www.youtube.com/dtr0483 . Sure enough, the clip in the trailer is part of a video from this account. Watched it, pretty confusing. What will it lead to? Will it be a small ARG?

10. Jeeva says:

On the “is it just me” slant, IIJM, but does Sam look superbly young in that video (in game footage, not the “Back in the war” bit). I swear I recall him being at the very least greying at the temples in the last game, and thought he was looking stressed, grey haired and such in ancient promo shots (admittedly from about 3 years ago, it feels like)…

Am I thinking of Max Payne 3, or did they focus group his appearance and change? Psh, if so.

• Funky Badger says:

There was the whole “Angry Hobo” thing – where he looked a mite more like Ironside, for my money – but that went away. Which is a shame, cause it looked good…

Hope this is good too.

Which SC was it with the last level in the hotel where you had to hide in the lights?

• Psychopomp says:

Pandora Tomorrow, and I’m fairly certain it was the first level.

• Funky Badger says:

Sure this one was the last level, where you end up on the ruuf, killing a dude, and all the guards inside have got night-vision goggles. That was fantastic. More level design like that please.

11. aaron says:

I certainly saw some grey temples in that video. About midway through, a brief clear shot of Sam crouched and shooting up an office.

12. idojfosifjos says:

Is he trying to pull off the guy’s balaclava to unmask him for the Big Reveal to be followed up with “I knew it was you all along…”

• Bret says:

I’m personally hoping for “And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn’t for you meddling kids and that dog.”

13. Max says:

Christ, that’s some of the worst lip syncing I’ve ever seen.

14. SanguineLobster says:

So… what? It’s Rambo? with some Bourne thrown in?

It looks like it’ll be pretty fun times, but the plot….

15. Adventurous Putty says:

Double Agent on the old-gen consoles (a completely different game) wasn’t that bad; it had a more coherent plot than its current-gen counterparts.

16. Zyrxil says:

Double Agent on PC/360/PS3 was so bad, it was missing a scene towards the end which allowed the ending to make sense.

• Funky Badger says:

I quite enjoyed SC:DA on the PS2 – tried playing it on the 360… *shudder*

17. Klaus says:

SAM FISHER IS A LOOSE CANNON WITH NOTHING TO LOSE!

18. Daniel Rivas says:

It was the first level.

• Rinox says:

Splinter Cell series has been in bad console port hell for ages now…I can’t get excited over it anymore, no matter how much I enjoyed 1 and 2.

• Rinox says:

Whoops was meant as a general reply