IGF Watch: More Closure

By Kieron Gillen on January 25th, 2010 at 10:03 am.

Let’s start the week with a little pre-release Indie-hype. You may remember Closure from us posting about it exactly a year ago (minus one day). You can still go and play the flashgame now. However, Messrs Glail and Schubbe are working on a full commercial downloadable version (The scale of difference being, to steal their metaphor, the difference between the first Mario Bros Arcade game and Super Mario World for the SNES). It’s already picked up an Indiecade innovation award, and has been shortlisted for 3 IGFs – in Technical Innovation, Sound and the Nuovo Innovation Award. More on their site and the first trailer below…

Except it won’t be out until 2011. Man!

Still – I’m reminded I should go and judge as many finalists as I can, as I haven’t started that. Perhaps some kind of round-up feature interviewing them all? It may be worth a shot, I figure.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Richard Clayton says:

I played this when you first blogged about it and liked this a lot.

Would be a really interesting 3d (first-person) project too. Particularly if the puzzles could be solved using light and physics combined.

Thanks for reposting – I’ll take another look.

2. MadMatty says:

Yo Kieron:

• Kieron Gillen says:

MadMatty: Yeah, I covered Indie games before. The Consolevania guys did a documentary about it.

KG

• MadMatty says:

Aww that was beeeeuttiiiful K.

Also, the guys at Mega64 play both sides of the fence, so heres the pro-indie one:

• MadMatty says:

“Watch Indie movies” LOL

• Kieron Gillen says:

MadMatty: I’d seen that one before, and it’s still funny.

I was also pleased to discover the Indie-movies gag still got a laugh from me.

(Also: “Forgive them lord – for they know not how to review”)

KG

• AndrewC says:

If you’re not Indie, F**K YOU!

Made Possible by Microsoft & Sony

I mean, That’s not a ‘Gotcha! U R Hippkrites!’ thing, but more a good glimpse into the actual world of Indie (which I’m guessing is pretty co-dependent?).

• MadMatty says:

checked out Consolevania, and it was super-sweet- how could i miss it? and now its gone!
      good things can be said of advertisement- twas nice to see Cliffski and some others doing the rounds for their games.
      Good thing i hooked up with RPS, coz i was starting to get the big-brother creeps from IGN etc.

Mega64 hypocritical? no such insinuation meant.
      As long as theyre good at taking the piss, i hardly care what the subject might be.

Artists-Fans are a typical co-dependancy- how could it b otherwise?
      You find somewhere / something that has the stuff youre looking for, and if they keep delivering it, you keep coming back.

3. Scott says:

WHY IS THERE NO EDIT BUTTON D:

4. CMaster says:

It really was a very clever game, the flash part of closure.
    Here’s hoping that in a full version they make the controls a little better (jumping was a real chore) and capitalize on that creepy atmosphere a bit more.

5. terry says:

You’re intending to play and cover all of them? Or a modest selection?

If the former I applaud your lunacy, there’s hundreds.

• Kieron Gillen says:

Terry: 3 of us are abstractly judges, so we played a bunch for selection. We should play the shortlist if we’re judging them too.

I’m thinking just hitting everyone who’s been shortlisted up for a brief, standard interiew. An Indie game a day, etc.

KG

• Richard Clayton says:

An Indie Game Interview-a-day sounds excellent. I think that the Indies are by far the most interesting sector of game development at the moment.

• CMaster says:

@KG I think this has taught us that when you say “abstractly” it doesn’t mean a good thing.

• Rosti says:

Re: “Abstractly” – Sure, it might not be precisely a good thing but hilarity will ensue. And that’s why I’m here, certainly.

6. Saul says:

Due 2011?? The world might have ended by then.

Looks really interesting, though. I got a Dark Castle vibe, if I may venture outside the rubber room of the PC for a moment.

7. Mistabashi says:

Now you mention it it does look rather Dark-Castle-ish doesn’t it? I’m not just talking about the obvious black & white angle, but the character animations and shading style are quite similar in places.

Anyways, this looks good, I enjoyed the flash version for a while but sadly puzzle-platformers just can’t hold my interest for long anymore. I picked-up Braid in the steam sale for about a quid fifty and have still barely touched it. I still very much appreciate it when new and interesting ones come along though, although I’m not certain why…