No More Than Words: Fallout Extreme

By Kieron Gillen on January 27th, 2010 at 11:55 am.

It appears the word “EXTREME” is the thread in my linkposts today. ANYWAY! Paweł Dembowski dropped us a line, noting that details on another canceled Fallout game have come to light. If the sources are correct, it was only in development for a few months by 14 Degrees East in 2000, and appears to be a Hidden & Dangerous-inspired tactical shooter. As in, four men, free switching between them and all that. Also, aimed for the original XBox, but since it’s only of historical note worth mentioning on this most PC of blogs. There’s some story details here and some mechanic-based stuff in the sidebar here (UPDATE: And some more here). This sort of stuff happens in developers all the time – a couple of months, then killed. I’d love to see a mass list of The Games That Could Have Been from our favourite developers.

Dave Tosser says: It’s very important for every major brand to increase its equity via such approaches, by leveraging their reputation into new, profitable avenues. We should all accept and applaud their corporate vision.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Andy says:

Well, this was cancelled to make way for Brotherhood of Steel. Thank goodness consoles were around to crush the life out of this most loved franchise. While I did actually enjoy the last fallout game I can’t help but feel it could have been far superior if it had been developed exclusively (or at least first) for PC.
    Having said that, the fallout universe does have the legs to stand up to some experimentation and Fallout3 made megabucks which one would hope will allow such experimentation.
    A squad based game set in our favourite post-apocalypse? I’d play that.

2. Hullo says:

“I’d love to see a mass list of The Games That Could Have Been from our favourite developers.”

No. No, you really wouldn’t.

• Sonicgoo says:

@Hullo

Games are always best before they are actually created/released. All the warm glow of dreams of perfection and none of that cold harsh reality.

3. destroy.all.monsters says:

Suggested topics: the Westwood C&C 3, Babylon 5 – Into the Fire, anything from Bullfrog that was never released.

What I would pay to see any of those made. Or hell – even an expansion of Syndicate without any graphics changes whatsoever.

4. Diogo Ribeiro says:

Oh man that Tosser bit is great. Counter to the Gerald one on Ubi, yes? Awesome :D

• skizelo says:

Given that the Ubisoft article has a near L4D2 number of comments, can anyone fish out what it’s a reference to? I am non-plussed at the moment.
      Also, Tosser should be the new house style: I’d like to see how long you can write in that voice before you break down sobbing.

• Cooper says:

Aping gamespy writers 4tw

• Man Raised By Puffins says:

There’s someting oddly familiar about that Dave Tosser chap, maybe it’s the wisp of sideburn or the tilt of his glasses but I can’t quite put my finger on it…

• destroy.all.monsters says:

All it was missing was the word synergy for true corporate speak.

5. LewieP says:

Mr Tosser clearly needs a bigger beard.

6. AndrewC says:

Poor guy must have had a hellish time at school with that name. I’m glad you’ve given him a chance here to provide a regular counterpoint to your opinions. This was a classy decision, and I applaud you for it.

7. Alex says:

Also, Project V13 here: http://www.rpgwatch.com/#14267

8. Monchberter says:

Expect thread to descend into Fallout 3 hating nerd rage in 3,2,1…

• AndrewC says:

Oh dear no, round these parts we haven’t got past hating Oblivion yet.

9. Man Raised By Puffins says:

Talking of cancelled games, Irrational have released more details about Division 9. The in-game footage is interesting as, if you squint a bit, it could be easily be mistaken for a Left 4 Dead prototype.

• Malibu Stacey says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if there were staff who left Irrational when they were bought by Take-Two who then went on to join Turtle Rock before they were bought up by VALVe. However the timing of the events may just be coincidental but that does look very much like an L4D prototype.

Would very much like a SWAT 5 though. Even if it was just SWAT 4 prettified for the current market in the Unreal 3 engine or whatever they’re using for BioShock with more missions (and L4D style multiplayer i.e co-op, versus, etc)

10. the wiseass says:

Oh man I dunno where that Dave Tosser comes from, but it cracks me up. I guess it’s a hint at the most retarded sell-out comment from that Gerard guy over at gamespy? HILARIOUS I say!

11. Dreamhacker says:

14 Degrees East were also developing a sequel to Fallout Tactics. To be honest, they had a better understanding of the Fallout universe than Bethesda has.

12. Gaytard Fondue says:

And Ausir strikes again

13. LionsPhil says:

@AndrewC: Yeah, it was just Fallout 3 without guns. >xbox-user<Llllllame.>/xbox-user<