Psychonauts For £1! PSYCHONAUTS FOR £1!

By John Walker on January 27th, 2010 at 8:00 am.

BUUYYYYYYY MEEEEEEEEEE

You need no more information than this. Until Thursday Steam has one of the loveliest games ever, Psychonauts, for £1. It’s hilarious, it’s so beautifully written, and it’s bursting with invention and ideas like nothing else. And if you want to complain that the platforming is often a bit dodgy, I reply with: IT’S ONE POUND. A pound.

A pound. (Or two dollars.)

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Igor Hardy says:

Apart from that superb Milkman level craziness I didn’t particularly enjoy this game. It could have been so much more… Maybe if Microsoft left it alone and it wasn’t dumbed down to fit their testers.

2. autogunner says:

after the entire day group effort spent trying to complete the end of meat circus I will never play this game ever again, im still amazed we succeeded.

3. disperse says:

Purchased. I didn’t even have to enter my CC information, Steam remembered it.

4. Shadrach says:

Lovely, anyone who’s not played this should get it. I first got it retail and then got it cheap from GOG to have a digital version.

This also reminded me how sad it is Brütal Legend is not out on PC… boo… hiss…

5. jsutcliffe says:

I have tried a few times to get into Psychonauts (I have it for my Xboxmachine), but just can’t get past the art style. Ugly characters and ugly environments — admittedly I’ve only done the boot camp type section at the start of the game, but I don’t think I could stomach much more.

• SquareWheel says:

The game starts off a little boring, but once you get into it you will not be able to put it down. Some of the best level design I’ve ever seen.

6. EthZee says:

I’d normally be fine with buying something like this. I’ll have to try the demo before because I’m not sure this old laptop will run it.

But…

I don’t know if anyone feels like this, but I’m finding the astronomical levels of praise and hype for this game (a gushing torrent that has been flowing for years) to be slightly offputting. The more praise it gets, the better it’s got to be; otherwise it fails.

Granted, I’ve been proven wrong; I actually hated both Dark Knight and Arkham Asylum with a passion before I experienced them myself. I’ll give it a try. But still! STOP BEING SO ENTHUSIASTIC!

*whacks with sharp stick*

7. Max says:

Alright, I bought it. I played the demo a while ago after Yahtzee waxed poetic about it, and though I was amused, the platforming made me want to strangle someone.

Perhaps I will yet be a convert.

• LintMan says:

I bought the game a while ago and really expected to like it based on all the online love for it. I was charmed by the story (the little I got to see of it), but it’s a hardcore platformer game, and I just don’t like platformers – even charming, intelligent ones just aren’t fun for me.

I really wanted to play it through to see the story and the puzzles, etc, but the platforming just made it terrible, so I had to quit playing.

8. Jocho says:

If I’ve ever heard of an impulse-buy, it was this one. Been intending to buy it a long time, and this is just too good to be missed!

9. Springy says:

PSYCHONAUTS: ONE POUND?

“That’s less than a pint!” – Anonymous Poster
    “That’s two hundred thousand times cheaper than my house.” – Astonished Homeowner
    “If I put a billion pound coins in a pile, buying Psychonauts would hardly make a dent in it!” – Scrooge McDuck

Thank you, ‘pint’ posters, for reassuring us the real-world value of money. We’d completely lost all grip on it recently, so it’s nice to be reminded the trade value of currency.

10. CJohnson03 says:

I might buy this just so I can stomp around like Godzilla in the Lake Monster’s mind-city. That never, ever gets old..

11. deanimate says:

Any opinions on how this compares to Mario Galaxy? I ask because I love Galaxy and they’re both platformers so was thinking a comparison of sorts could be reasonably valid.
    Unless it’s not and I’m wrong.

• MajorManiac says:

I’m the oposite. I’ve played this, but not Mario Galaxy. I’d say if you like platform games this is a good one.

Its greatest strength is in having massively diverse levels, that each require a different set of skills. Plus it has a nice story.

• deanimate says:

Well, I bought it so as to get rid of steams limitations but I shall definitely get round to trying it out. So many people keep extolling its virtues there must be something in it.

12. Durns says:

How about a PS3 controller?

13. l1ddl3monkey says:

Any game that features a Godzilla spoof level set inside the mind of a giant mutated lungfish and can get a laugh from the line “Lets make out!” must be played!

14. Thirith says:

I wouldn’t even describe the game as a pure platformer in the Mario vein – it’s more of an action adventure that is heavy on the platforming. I didn’t play it for the gameplay so much as for the wonderful world and characters it evokes, like the very best work of Henry Selick.

15. Spaceman-Spiff says:

Psychonauts has brilliant writing. The dialogs are very funny and entertaining. The gameplay, however, is not as great. In some areas, the game gets very hard.

16. EthZee says:

The demo does not run well on my laptop. Ah well.

17. TooNu says:

Bought 2 copies, 1 for me 1 for the awesome missus.

18. LionsPhil says:

@EthZee: It’s grossly overhyped. It’s a really shitty platformer, and a complete waste of Schafer’s writing. Ignore the raving fanboys, they’re blinding themselves to its chronically broken game part to give the celebrity developer a tongue bath.

Get back to adventure games, Tim.

19. SmallGods says:

People, people, no-ones asked the most important question of all yet!

….can haz Steam achievments now plz?

20. MWoody says:

I wonder if the PC version of this game has some sort of control problem. I played the console version, found it of medium-to-easy difficulty all the way through and absolutely delightful. And yet I hear all the time about the final levels being tough, or the platforming giving people problems – maybe the keyboard just doesn’t work for this sort of thing, I guess.

Still, Christ on a bicycle, $2!?

21. Pemptus says:

I find it bewildering that an alarming number of people seem hate the platforming and controls in this game. I completed it twice, both times getting 100%, and while being frustrated a good couple of times, the platforming seemed fun and well done. I never thought about plugging a gamepad, the keyboard and mouse felt just perfect after some fiddling with the sensitivity.

toastmodernist says:

i’d buy that for a dollar.

23. SpinalJack says:

I have this on xbox and I also played it for free on the PC with game tap. This game keeps popping up all over the place.

24. MacQ says:

I tried the demo when it came out and did it again yesterday to see if I’m ever gonna play this game, since it is not my kind of genre. Well, I agree with the comments that the story, the characters and the humor is great, but I also agree that the platforming is mediocre at best. Therefore I’ll keep 2 €.

If it were a classic adventure I wouldn’t think about it one second and would get it immediately. Oh well…

25. bill says:

Surely you mean “beautiful art style and beautiful character design”? Right?

Cos otherwise I would be confused and think you were playing a different game….

26. Hodge says:

I love Tim Schafer’s graphic adventures of old but I could never get into Psychonauts. I remember playing the demo when it came out and it just felt like a mediocre console platformer. Even the cutscenes left me cold – some beautiful art, but way too saccharine for me (darker undertones notwithstanding).

I seem to be part of the (vocal?) minority, though – if you haven’t played it, you’d be mad not to spend the $2 and decide for yourself.

oceanclub says:

I’m a good way through the game (6 hours, Raz is now rank 30), have a fairly low tolerance for platformers (I’ve never been grabbed by any of the Mario games), yet I’m loving it. Have I just not hit a ramping up of difficulty, or is it just the game is far more playable on a gamepad?

P.

Rinox says:

I can’t say anything on the gamepad, but on the difficulty: there aren’t any real spikes until the final level, which is very hard. Don’t let anyone tell you that’s impossible though, because it’s not. You’ll get it right after a while.

28. The Hammer says:

Made sure I bought this, as I originally had the PS2 port which, to put it bluntly, sucked the big one. But this game is so quote-worthy, so agreeably out-there, and so charismatic that I needed to get my hands on it again.

I wonder who the money goes to?

29. Abercrombie clothing says:

The graphics look amazing. The gameplay sounds a bit dull though. Is there bullet time?