Star Wars Galaxies Free For Lapsers

By Jim Rossignol on January 28th, 2010 at 9:28 am.

Anyone who previously subbed to Star Wars Galaxies will be able to play for free between February 1st and March 1st. This coincides with “Forces Under Siege“, which is a hugely territory conflict add-on, which will allow players to contest for control of major cities. A captured city will confer benefits, such as quests and useful NPCs, to the controlling power. The Imperial types get to drive AT-ATs, so presumably they’ll win hands down. Could this be the last hurrah for Galaxies with The Old Republic on the horizon?

Dave Tosser says: God, I’m so lonely. Years ago I was in a relationship with a wookiee called AarrraaooOOOaaaarr. She knew how to treat a man. These days though there’s no one. I guess AarrraaooOOOaaaarr is playing World Of Warcraft like everyone else. I’d never be able to find her. Perhaps I should go shopping. Helping out capitalism is always an experience of deep poignancy for me. And that gin doesn’t buy itself!

, , , .

1. Sarlix says:

Ah they should of made it free for everyone, weather you had subbed or not. I mean it’s only for a month after all. I would have tried it if they had.

I used to have an AT-AT when I was a kid. Damn thing never worked though, it used to take two D cell batteries (the big ones) but it never did anything! what did it do?! it’s been a mystery my whole life!

• Maxheadroom says:

Galaxies is still running?? cor I thought they canned that ages ago after the various revamps pushed away what few subscribers they had

ChainsawHands says:

You could reach your hand inside the body of the AT-AT and there was a handle that let you move the head about. The batteries let you press a button which lit up the chin-mounted guns, which made a shooty noise and I think also moved back and forward (one gun going forward while the other went back).

Like this – about 3:30 in.

• Sarlix says:

Thank you sir, you’ve solved a life long mystery!

2. crumbsucker says:

Are we allowed to insult Mr. Tosser?

• Sarlix says:

The fact he looks less attractive than my own armpit after 20 games of table tennis suggests that’s insult enough!

3. Magnus says:

I realise this is the incorrect place to post this, but I don’t have a forum account.

Are you guys looking at the Good Old Games countdown?

There’s a very big announcement at 11am today, which has already been leaked over at cnet and a few polish websites.

Delete this message if I’ve overstepped my bounds here.

mechtroid says:

I’ve got it. Dave Tosser is THE MONSTER THAT ATE KIERON.

Chaz says:

I have a copy of SWG: The Complete Adventures still wrapped in its cellophane sat on my shelf. I tried it in beta and thought it was aweful and then tried it a little while after the NGE and quite liked it.

Although I can totally understand how the implimentation of the NGE would have really pissed a whole load of people off. In my brief trail I thought it was actually pretty good as far as MMO’s go. I mean you got the whole ground MMO thing including crafting and player built buildings, all sorts of vehicles and mounts, and then there was the whole space shooty shooty thing too which was actually quite good. Compared to a lot of the shallow MMO’s that come out today it’s still pretty damn feature rich really, even after the NGE.

Chaz says:

Oh yeah, just a shame I’ve never had the time to put in to start playing it properly. Ah well.

6. Shadowcat says:

GOG.com announces that classic Activision goodness is on the way!!

7. Bobsy says:

I love AT-ATs. They’re such a shit design for war machines. If you made one in real life it’d fall over in a stiff breeze.

• Sarlix says:

Yeah and you would need half the imperial fleet to pick it back up again!

• Subject 706 says:

Not to mention the beautiful target its not-so-low-profile would make it to any kind of AT weapon.

• Catastrophe says:

Yeah, I always thought they were huge, but for no real reason… the weapons were in the head… they could of literally just been the head with wheels, maybe as a turret and what do you have?!

A standard battle tank.

• mrmud says:

The proposterousness is what makes it cool. Just like a battletech mech.
      You know it is stupid as hell but it works anyway.

• Tei says:

Re: Imperial Terror Strategy

You don’t need a space shuttle to put people on space (the russians did with just rockets). But It helps shows your power, for not reason other than induce terror on your enemies.

• Demon Beaver says:

“All the Emperors droids, and all the Emperors men, could not put the AT-AT on his legs again.”

8. MadMatty says:

i was willing to try galaxies but couldnt get the sony online installer working on my computer… anyways i wallowed in star wars in the past, and maybe the whole thing i s getting near an end for me… xcept i will probably see the original trilogy again cosz theyre classic… nuff merchendise

9. malkav11 says:

Pre-NGE Galaxies was rubbish. I know NGE revamped a ton of stuff, but I never had much interest in trying it again (which is why NGE was a stupid move – alienate the people that -do- like your awful game in the hopes of attracting people who’ve already written it off! Brilliant!)

10. Doth Messar says:

Man, SWG rocked back in the day. Why didn’t they have these kinda events when the majority of people had a subscription? If they had, I know I would probably still be playing. This kinda thing is the stuff we as players talked about and asked for, but never recieved. Unfortunately my server has been death starred and I have no character to go back to. SOE flubbed a really awesome and unique game. from Tempest!

• mrmud says:

They kind of did.
      When I was playing (first year of the game) on Eclipse there were some pretty big events that were being organized with the help of GMs. This included spawning AT-ATs.
      The problem was that the servers couldnt handle it and the lag became overwhelming.

I remember trying to take my speederbike the 6-7 km to the events together with my PA members and after 30 minutes we had perhaps made 500m progress due to all the rubberbanding.

11. The Great Wayne says:

Pre-NGE and pre-CU SWG was just brilliant. Not perfect, but brilliant whatsoever. Now it’s mostly a living example to how the producers/financials can screw the work of a dev team in the MMO department.

• mrmud says:

No it really wasnt.
      The game mechanics were broken beyond comprehension.
      Doc buffs boosted the power of a character 20 times or more.
      There was even a piece of armor crafted (before there was swiftly put a 90% cap in place) that had 100% damage resistance and as a result also never deteriorated. I followed the case pretty closely as I played an armorsmith.

Thats not to same the game was all bad. The crafting system and economy was excellent and the player run towns were lots of fun. But it was anything but brilliant

• The Great Wayne says:

As I said, the game wasn’t perfect. But balances issues and bugs such as those you recall are a recurring matter, EvE is a masterpiece and yet we’ve been through a lot, for example.

Therefore, imho balancing doesn’t disqualify SWG first era from being brilliant. What does qualify it however is the gameplay and the underlying systems which, with all the unbalancing in the world that could have plagued the game at one point, remained filled with fantastic concepts and ideas.

If anything, it’s poor management and inability to deal with classic issues that spoiled this mmo. Apart from that, it’d have been a worthy heir to UO and a milestone in the mmorpg genre, especially at the time it came out.

• MrMud says:

I have never seen a game where the balance was so off that it completely broke the game, except for SWG. I mean people were soloing the raidbosses!

12. mujadaddy says:

I am not officially affiliated with SWGEmu.com, but anyone nostalgic should check them out. Good group of OSS C++ devs who are rebuilding their own server software from scratch.

• Bonedwarf says:

I bought SWG. Played my free month, thought “I ain’t paying a subscription for this”.

Be nice if I could get some use out of my old disks.

13. geldonyetich says:

Please pay no attention to that Star license going Online in February.

14. Ayeohx says:

While I have a few fond memories this game was always a bad game.

Remember the good ol’ days of putting up a “hunting lodge” outside an enemy city (an indestructible building that only you and your friends could get into so you could run in and heal while sniping passerbys out front)?
    Or when you maxed out your skills in one field there was little else to do but reset your character (loosing all progress) and start from scratch?
    Or how a two handed melee user could easily close on a rifleman and drop him in one shot (since 2handed weapons hit the mostly ignored Mind health bar and people only became visible at too close ranges)?
    Oh, and hiding in the middle of a enemy player’s spawned objective (no clipping on the buildings so you could hide in the walls themselves) was enjoyable. People never expected PvP combat when trying to knock out a few crappy random missions.

Yeah, good times. And I hear that it only got worse after the NGE.

Still, wiping out a town of stormtroopers with my two handed weapon and my flamethrower carrying commando buddy was fun.

15. custom research paper says:

It sounds realistic. Many thanks.

16. random says:

Regarding the space strategy, fair point but I don’t think Challenger exactly brought the Russians to their knees in terror.

17. Büyü Bozma says: