Random Duke Nukem Footage

By Jim Rossignol on February 2nd, 2010 at 4:11 pm.

Some Duke Nukem Forever footage has surfaced (and been posted below), via the all-seeing eye of the Big K. It’s got a fairly random soundtrack, although not entirely inappropriate, given the subject matter. There’s also some tumbleweed, which seems some somehow symbolic. It’s not clear what stage of development this was from, but I think we can assume it wasn’t the most recent build.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Ian says:

If the eventual game would have had that music all the way through then I think we’ve missed something special.

2. terry says:

That looked pretty underwhelming compared to the footage from that E3. Assuming this was the latest engine they were using, bleh.

3. LionsPhil says:

Ah, so that was going to be the plot—sinister aliens flooding the world with cheesy music, and it’s up to Duke to fight his way up to their mothership and destroy the Atmospheric Polka Resonator. Much better than all that crap in the leaked documents about lapdances and sewer sequences.

I knew you couldn’t really be that clueless, 3DR.

4. ddthesm says:

Gah! I don’t care, just release whatever they have! It’s over so just bleed the leftovers from any version of the game to death, release extra textures as DLC, just something!

I need….nay the world needs Duke Nukem!!!!!

….ok….I’m done.

5. indirectX says:

What a pile of turd.

6. oldFox says:

A la rueda rueda, de pan y canela, dame un besito y vete a la escuela! Si no quieres ir, acu├ęstate a dormir!
    ^___^

7. coupsan says:

lol that music

8. The Sombrero Kid says:

this is the quake 3 based tech, i remember seeing stills of the setting at the time.

9. Real Horrorshow says:

Looks like shit.

10. GriddleOctopus says:

Is that ring a ring o roses in spanish?

11. Collic says:

“Shake it, baby” *spacebar* “Shake it, baby” *spacebar* “Shake it, baby” *spacebar* “Shake it, baby” *spacebar*

Ahh the memories. I’ll never forget you, Duke.

12. manveruppd says:

@ LionsPhil:That 1998 trailer looks absolutely AMAZING for its time! Didn’t even know you could DO destructible scenery in the Quake engine!

@everyone saying this is crap: It’s just raw gameplay footage of someone playing on a very dark monitor. Obviously not a polished trailer with lots of boss fights and set pieces. And I’m sure all the cool set pieces from the previous versions will have made it into this one as well, but you can’t make a whole game out of set-pieces (otherwise what you get is Dragon’s Lair). You need a few bits of good ol’ fashioned corridor shootin’ too!

• Tei says:

manveruppd:

func_wall and such are really easy to make on the Quake1 engine. You just replace the bmodel by crap wen his heal turn 0. Much like the explobox on E1M1, but with crap all around flyiing. You can also animate such model, sinking, rotating, whatever… like in the youtube video.

• LionsPhil says:

I daresay the problem with the set pieces we’ve seen from U3-generation DNF leaks were very Dragon’s Lair. In particular, one with what looks like a relative of the football-pitch final boss from DN3D, which came down to: “Shoot at the boss a bit so that he opens up a vulnerable spot, then go and press ‘use’ at him to pull out a head-tendril, at which point you’re scripted to fall off. Repeat until bored or he runs out of tendrils.”

This is the peril of making games more “cinematic”: the design exercise seems to have gone from the Deus Ex-ian delights of “set up an objective, and a set of tools and obstructions to completing it” to “ok, so I’ve imagined how this awesome battle plays out, how can we make the player jump through all the right hoops in order to realise my vision?”. It’s like being a laboratory monkey punching the right button when it lights up to get a peanut. Woo. (Ok, so the peanuts are little animation sequences, and the buttons are sometimes a case of “click on these enemies…WITH BULLETS” if you’re lucky, but any sort of reasoning beyond doing exactly what you’re funneled into/directly told is dead in such games.)

tl;dr stop overscripting everything you bloody totalitarian developers

• Kakksakkamaddafakka says:

I’m sure the Q1 and Q2 engines were similar in that respect, but yeah, they didn’t use the Q1 engine for anything other than the very first mockups in PCG. The rest from then on was Q2 (until they changed to Unreal Tech).

• Bhazor says:

Reply to LionsPhil

The storyboard of the game, if genuine, shows they were going with the Dragon’s Lair approach to cinematic games. Alot of scenes seemed devoid of actual game, like a prolonged chat show sequence or about 5 seperate lap dances mentioned. Honestly, the whole thing just sounded like he was thinking about it purely as a film.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/46948/Duke-Nukem-Forever-28-Hi-Res-Screenshots-Entire-Plot-Leaked (Storyboard and some screenshots I haven’t seen before)

• manveruppd says:

@ Tei: That’s interesting, really didn’t know that. Why can’t I think of any Q1-powered games that used that sort of thing?

13. Demikaze says:

Yes, yes it is. And perhaps the most interesting thing in the whole video.

14. Lord Bigglesworth says:

Ay yi !! No me gusta !!11

Thanks a lot (Dirty?) Sanchez, you ruined the whole video.

15. Bobsy says:

Man. I used to love Quake. All those Scrags, eh?

I have no idea what I’m looking at here.

16. Bhazor says:

This really looked like a Half Life 2 mod to me the, grenades in particular. The bit with the thing holding a grenade in the old west looked almost like a zombine reskin.

Yet again we fail to see anything a half competent studio couldn’t have made in two years in the Unreal or Sorce engines. I really feel sorry to the poor bastards who worked on it, they now have a 12 year gap on their CV and they’re not even allowed to show what they made in that time.

17. MedO says:

Well, if you think he E3 trailer is so much better do a little experiment.

Download the music from the E3 trailer (Google “duke nukem forever e3 theme”), play this gameplay vid again but mute its sound.

Then watch the E3 trailer on mute and play the cheesy music in the background instead.

Compare, contrast & discuss. IMO Many scenes of the E3 trailer are pretty boring if you look at them soberly.

18. Stense says:

Has Duke gotten cataracts in his old age or something?

19. sana says:

Quick pipebombs? Yummy. What a shame.

20. the wiseass says:

Necro Duke is back, haunting us with yet another video from his prolonged cellar of agony. But yes, it may be shit, but it gets me excited every single time, again and again, even after all those years. I’ve developed such a sick, twisted an masochistic relationship to this franchise I almost feel like a 40 years old Japanese businessman sucking on his thumb while wearing diapers and getting spanked by two smokin’ hot heavy-handed latex nurses.

Shake it baby ’til you drop.
    P.S.: I luv’ the music in that video.

21. SheffieldSteel says:

Not entirely unlike that slightly creepy older guy that won’t stop going to the nightclub, the story of Duke Nukem Forever seems to get slightly more pathetic with each new episode.

22. RogB says:

I wonder why nobody has even attempted a duke multiplayer mod in a modern engine? sod the single player for now, the multiplayer was incredibly original for its time and im struggling to think of anything thats had the same level of gadgetry since!
    pipe bombs, trip bombs, jetpacks, shrink guns, freeze guns, the mighty boot, holograms..

• roryok says:

Hear hear.

Actually there was a project to remake Duke Nukem 3d in the source engine, but it was shut down by 3DR’s legal team. I figured once 3DR were out of the picture someone would start up a similar project, but they are still up and running, and still retain the rights to duke. I’m sure they’d be just as litigious about it these days.

Having said that, I can’t see how they could stop someone writing an MP addon which mimics the features of duke – i.e. the pipe bombs, the laser trip mines, the holoduke etc. Most if not all of these have been recreated in other games, having them all in one place would make for a more dukey experience.

23. A-Scale says:

How in the hell are any of you evaluating the quality of the game when the video is like 150×200 pixels blown up to 600×400? I can barely make out the enemies, much less what the quality of the fucking textures or destruction modeling is!

24. Oak says:

So it was to be a first-person shooter. Interesting.

25. bill says:

If that’s from the older build that it seems to be, if they’d just released it at the time it would have blown everything else away…

26. LionsPhil says:

@Bhazor: Yeah, I saw that at the time. I’m pretty sure they must have hired a thirteen-year-old to write it. Hence my favour for this new Atmospheric Polka Resonator plot instead.

27. Matt says:

I’m always bemused by why everyone was so excited about DNF, but I guess you had to be there. I was about a year too young for Duke Nukem 3D (it was Quake II wot was all the rage when we got a PC) so all I see in that video is a lackluster FPS that hasn’t learned anything since 2000. Obviously, Duke fans will see something completely different.

Now, in ten years when they announce Half-Life 3 I’ll be going “Gordon Freeman is back!” and all the young whippersnappers will be saying “Quh? Dude didn’t even talk, dude.”

• SheffieldSteel says:

I was a Duke fan, and what I see is completely different to Duke Nukem 3D. Which was great.

“I ain’t afraid of no Quake” was both funny and bold at the time. But since he spoke that line, they released four Quake games, and no more Duke Nukem.

28. BeamSplashX says:

I think the 2001 version looked the best, personally. I think that era was a bit of a creative sweet spot for FPS games. Plus the early attempts at cinematics with wooden-looking faces will always be endearing to me.

29. SquareWheel says:

But sadly, Duke is amazing for more than just the gameplay. The very essence of Duke Nukem comes from the character, and that cannot be reproduced.

30. jay says:

@Oak

Goddamnit! Stop jumping to conclusions!

We need far more evidence to be sure. This could merely have been a cunning ruse.

Comment on this story