A Smashing Time: Rubble Trouble

By John Walker on February 3rd, 2010 at 2:51 pm.

That's an impressive marrow.

Do you like smashing stuff? I do. Glasses, plates, Fabergé eggs, jars containing the souls of lost children. So games about smashing stuff make me very happy. Red Faction: Guerilla being the most recent highlight. And now thanks to the kindly stranger (I’ve forgotten who it was, sorry) who tipped me off to Rubble Trouble, I’m having a gleeful smashing afternoon.

Your task is to destroy buildings, blowing them to bits. But rather than a simple game where you place charges in increasingly complex buildings, perhaps with a limited number of charges, it instead constantly adds new ideas. So explosive charges one level, then guided rockets another. Perhaps a bomb-dropping chopper or missile launcher. Then you must perhaps help a man down from a roof, or protect nearby greenhouses.

The only weakness I found was the demolition ball from the helicopter, which is pretty awful to control. But otherwise this is a lovely little browser Flash game. And about smashing stuff! SMASH!

, , , , .

1. Lord Bigglesworth says:

I’d smash that! ;D

A cute game by the way. I enjoyed it.

2. Babs says:

‘Super Marrow Land’

Nice. Having some wierd Flash incompatibilty here that means I cna’t play though. Might have to do some work instead!

3. LionsPhil says:

Man, that level with the cannonballs and the central column of explosives in a a funnel, flanked by valuable buildings, is frustration incarnate.

Especially as the damn thing can hit the core then bounce about, finally coming to land on…one of the non-demolish buildings. Level failed, tab gets closed.

• Cynic says:

I have the same reason for leaving it, nice cute game but that’s just not fun.

• Wilson says:

@LionsPhil – Yeah, I almost gave up there too. Later gave up on another level involving a cannon, dynamite, and a valuable building.

Quite a nice little game, but strangely irritating for some reason. I was on the verge of giving up most of the way through, which is odd. There is obviously something compelling about it, but I rarely felt really satisfied when I completed a level. It always kinda felt like luck that the guys weren’t killed/valuable buildings weren’t destroyed.

• JohnG says:

There’s a worse one later.

That’s the thing with Nitrome games, every single one has a fatal flaw somewhere within it that turns it from fun into utter frustration and I just give up…

Be it a game mechanic that just dpesn’t work quite right, or a level where you have to do steps X Y and then Z at exactly the right time with almost pixel perfect accuracy in order to replicate the way the level designer did it, otherwise it just won’t work, because it’s a physics-based game and even a slight change makes it just not work.

They’re always such good looking games, that have a good idea (usually) but just one feature that absolutely ruins it for me. In this one, the cannon levels, since there’s no aim guide and the power bar fills too quick and there’s no “previous shot was X degrees YY% power” indicator, it just makes it an exercise in banging your head against the screen.

4. Cooper says:

Nitrome have always been my go to bunch for quickie flash games. Always have some of the highest levels of polish out there, and oh-so-pretty pixel art. Also, the games are quite good.

5. Ian says:

Lovely little thing but I didn’t bother finishing it.

6. Skusey says:

Got stuck on Job 14 and now feel angry. Why are all the fun things hard?

7. radomaj says:

Yay! I’m a kindly stranger from Twitter!

8. El Stevo says:

I’m stuck on level 2.

;_;

9. El Stevo says:

Oh, I can drill downwards.

• PleasingFungus says:

Heh, yeah, had the same problem.

Got a bit into it (A MISSILE LAUNCHER!), but then accidentally clicked slightly too far to the left while demolishing a building with nitro and clicked on an ad (?), losing my progress on the level. Ehh. Fun for a bit.

10. Calabi says:

Got to level thirteen that was fun. We need more games where you smash stuff up.

11. Snuffy (the Evil) says:

You seem to be the kind of guy who would like Detonate.

12. Schrodinger's Lolcat says:

How the heck do you beat the rocket ship next to the fireworks factory! GAAAAAAAAAA

• D says:

Same! GRRR! I’ve been trying to get it to tip over to the left, by doing the drill with some timing so it amplifies the rocking, but GRRR!

13. Drumman1000 says:

Has RPS seen the World of Goo Flash knock off?

• radomaj says:

‘Chuje’ (c is silent, it is read just like ‘huje’) is Polish for ‘dicks’. This amuses me greatly.

14. Freakoftheuniverse says:

Drill out the supports, hope the thing falls over to the left, and then BOMB THAT THING INTO THE GROUND.

15. Railick says:

This is the level that got me as well. It wouldn’t have been so bad but my cannon balls started to randomly disappear in mid air before they even hit the ground once so I rage quit.

16. Zerotime says:

Level 16 can go have its car crushed by a wayward cannonball.

17. willow says:

I manages to get it to tip to the left by using Nitrome at the bottom starting at the metal end and goin along the bottom. dont go too far up though as u will blow the yellow bombs. U then use the grabber and pull it to the left.
    havent manged to get passed that though. it is soo frustrating