Daddy Issues: BioShock 2 Launch Trailer

By John Walker on February 3rd, 2010 at 3:19 pm.

That's a dangerous high five.

They sneak up on you, they really do. It’s already time for the BioShock 2 launch trailer. In fact, Mr Alec Meer is playing it as I type. It’s just around the corner, after seeming like perpetually a year away for about fifty-five years. So you should probably watch the very pretty pictures.

For all my griping about the combat in yesterday’s podcast, it does look really rather incredible. Although I fear it won’t let you feel as powerful as that trailer implies. Who knows. But gosh, look at that water.

I’ve a feeling big surprises await. The obsessive inclusion of the Big Sister in all the trailers suggests they’re only showing us a glimpse of what’s inside. Although this is my guess – I’ve not spoken to Alec yet, and he’d probably be shot by a 2K sniper if he tried to tell me. Anyhow, here’s the trailer. Please to enjoy.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. CaLe says:

I’d like to see some in-game CG cut-scenes like this. The Mass Effect 2 trailers had some very cool CG but none in the actual game, which was a shame I thought.

2. Lord Bigglesworth says:

Instead of (Big)Daddy issues I have some big sister issues ;____;

3. Samuel Bigos says:

Rated M for mature!

Really spoils the trailer.

4. TheBlackBandit says:

I’m all for this. I loved the first, and have no doubt that even if the second doesn’t quite live up to the first, it’ll be incredible.

5. Jeremy says:

I think that conceptually, I prefer the idea of being the Big Daddy. It can set up some real motivation to protect the girls or girl, I don’t remember if its just one or more along the lines of the first game. At any rate, I’ll give this a play through as long as I’m done with Mass Effect 2!

6. SirKicksalot says:

So how long until games look like this? 5 years?

• Bhazor says:

Around the time developers stop letting you actually play what they make and instead make animated films.
      So about 8 months the way things are going.

7. The Sombrero Kid says:

i’d've bought this if it wasn’t for the install limits, shame, i was looking forward to it.

• yns88 says:

@The Sombrero Kid:

Just out of curiosity, how many people have been unable to play Bioshock 1 due to its install limit? Games have been doing this for a while now, but the only negative reaction that you ever see to it is at the release date.

The only negative consequence of limited installs is a longevity issue, but often the case is that the install limit is only enforced for a (relatively) short period of time. Bioshock 1′s install limit was removed ~8 months after its release.

• Collic says:

The install limits for Bioshock were removed some time ago, as was promised.

I won’t buy the sequel because of GFWL, but they were true to their word on that for the first.

• suibhne says:

Uh, yns88, the install limit was *removed* on Bioshock in the game’s first year, after being significantly softened on several occasions after launch. That’s much of the reason why people were so frustrated with Bioshock 2′s “one step forward, two steps back” approach.

• Collic says:

@ yns88

Oops, didn’t read your reply properly there, it seems. I doubt it stung many people bar the initial steam install mishaps some had. I call storm in a tea cup. You’d think they would have learned by now though..

• The Sombrero Kid says:

i wasn’t stung by bioshock but i was stung by mass effect and vowed never to buy a game with install limits again, which i wont.

8. Shadrach says:

So Coach is a splicer and lives in Rapture now?
    Joking aside, I like how there is a splicer that can challenge the Big Daddy in brute force as well.

9. Mistabashi says:

Even without the crazy DRM & bundled bloatware (/malware), I still have no interest at all in this game. And that’s not because I didn’t enjoy the first game (I didn’t think it was the second-coming either mind you), it’s just that the trailers and blurb have shown a complete lack of the atmosphere that made the original so enjoyable.

• Wulf says:

I actually felt the same way. From the earliest shots of this I got the feeling that it had lost “the look”. This was confirmed for me when I saw the Big Daddies, and the one in the shot that accompanies this article is a fine example. The problem with it is is that it doesn’t look like some dark, nightmarish diving-suit-come-life-support-system, which is what the originals look like, instead it looks sort of like a steampunk robot.

I can only conclude that the artistic team working on this one doesn’t really understand what made the first one work, aesthetically. And if they can’t get the look of the Big Daddies right, who’s to say that they’ll get anything right? I’m sure it’ll get high scores, as all AAA titles unfortunately do, but whether it’ll be BioShock is another matter entirely, and that’s a shame.

Moreover, it lacks so much potential. The thing is, a sequel should be a natural progression of the original storyline, something that’ll take the game in new and interesting directions whilst still being true to what it actually is. Sort of like Lechuck’s Revenge to Secret of, or Half-Life 2 to Half-Life. But this seems like a poor excuse to go back to Rapture. Why go back to Rapture? After the ending of the first game, there are so many other interesting directions they could’ve taken it in.

Because of that, it comes across as a beautified expansion pack, and that’s a shame, too.

The thing is, this could’ve been so much more, but instead it looks like a new team ripping off the original BioShock team, with the only change being “Oh look, you can be a Big Daddy!”, which will probably end up being more disappointing than it sounds. I wish they’d been more brave, this could’ve been brilliant, not just a cheep knock-off.

But hey, I could be wrong, I’ll certainly check out a demo, should one come along.

• Manley Pointer says:

I liked the first game a lot, but when I finished it, I certainly was not thinking “can’t wait for the sequel.” It was clearly a one-and-done idea, but I guess everyone is so hungry for IP they’ll turn anything into a franchise.

And is this trailer promising that their whole game will be like that escort mission at the end of Bioshock? Not the most thrilling concept.

To my mind, they’ll only make a good game if they make it substantially different from the original…and it doesn’t look like they have. Then again, I hope they prove me wrong.

• Miles of the Machination says:

@Wulf Although I disagree with your assumptions of what the game will be before anybody has been given a chance to have a good look at it yet (exluding journalists who are locked away in their ivory towers, paved with non-disclosure agreements), I do agree that a fresh look would be great. Ages ago I wrote about the trends in plot and setting progressions in sequels and used Bioshock 2 as an example. At the time the only sparing information was on that Something in the Sea website, and this got me all excited about the potential for a first person adventure game in which a private detective follows the trail of the events mentioned in the news snippets. I never really bothered to develop the plot much further, but something like Bioshock could really benefit from radical plot directions, without feeling as if it is constrained to the events and locations in the first one. Also, I agree with what was said on the podcast, having a lot of the abitrary combat with splicers pruned down would greatly benefit the atmosphere.

10. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

I can’t wait…I preordered it and will receive a Little Sister action figure…with the syringe and stuff

11. Whadahell says:

Are those turbojets on the shotgun? Sold!

12. Vinraith says:

I was looking forward to this one, but with the DRM situation as it is I think I’ll skip it. If xliveless (or something equivalent) comes along to strip out the GfWL awfulness, and if the limited installations are abandoned 6 months after release, I might pick it up in a bargain bin someday.

• suibhne says:

This. I’m a bit irritated with the DRM situation, but the inclusion of GfWL is far worse in my view than any SecuROM presence could ever be. It’s absolutely baffling that developers (and/or publishers) continue to drag down their products with such an objectively crappy basket of consumer-hating code.

13. Tei says:

I really love this video. Its a amazing piece of craft & art. Congrats.

14. IvanHoeHo says:

Call me weird, but my major gripes with the Bioshocks are actually their use of color and the general rounded-ness/shininess of the designs. It just looks like everything’s child-proof, or something.

• Ushao says:

It’s called Art Deco. Rather popular style around the time that Rapture was built.

• Lemon scented apocalypse says:

@IvanHoeHo
      This comment made me sad

• IvanHoeHo says:

Yeah, you know what else was popular around that time? (well, -25 years, but who’s counting?) Nazi-Roman architecture! I might not be a big fan of imperialism, but the shit they build is always awe-inspiring.

There’s this retro diner near my university when I was studying not 2 months ago; the food’s great, but their furnishings literally made me cringe every time I went. I’m not saying I prefer intimidating columns and long, featureless hallways next time I visit, but I guess art deco architecture is just really not for me.

• Miles of the Machination says:

@IvanHoeHo Although I agree that the architecture could have better reflected both the ubiquitous liberal freedom, and the undertones of political menace, this would probably wind up way too contrived a justification. So they found a satisfying medium in creating an art style that was essentially a big, extravagant version of the popular art deco style that was around decades before the game was set, and I think this raises an interesting point in proving just how institutionalised Rapture’s citizens had become when its architecture and culture represented a bygone era.

15. Piotr_Skut says:

Funny that they have “Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition” playing in the background in this trailer when there are no firearms on screen.

16. poop says:

that trailer elevated the game from complete disinterest to $5 steam christmas sale for me :)

17. Johnny Go-Time says:

On topic, I saw this over at Destructoid, and can’t unsee it: http://www.game-rave.com/bomberman.jpg

18. clive dunn says:

@IvanHoeHo

You have the first recorded case of Art-deco-itus.. Congratulations!

You’d absolutly hate the furniture in my house. A small company in Brighton (UK) make exact reproductions of art deco furniture. We got a couple of sofa’s based on ones that were on the Normandie Cruise liner (at the time the largest on the ocean) .
    Anyone with any taste and couple of grand to waste on furniture should check out http://www.artdeco-sofas.com/

Comment on this story