Moscow Mule-tilation: Metro 2033

By Jim Rossignol on February 3rd, 2010 at 4:04 pm.

The incidental detail and little flourishes of scripted events are looking like the main thing that Metro 2033 has going for it. We understand that it’s all set to be a fairly traditional monster-shoot, but there’s no denying the loveliness of the ruined-Moscow in which it takes place, as you can see in the trailer I’ve posted below. I believe we’ve got some detail impressions of this in the pipeline, so expect an RPS brain-dump on the excitement-value of this game fairly soon.

, , .

1. Monchberter says:

I like how this looks exactly like a full blown continuation of nineties schlock classic The Relic

2. Veldjes! says:

This one better than what I’ve seen before. Looking forward to grab it eventually in the future which i supposed to fear as the game suggests for some reason. I’m curious does that slogan actually mean – fear the day of release!
    Also, flying demons

• LostSoviet says:

The Russian slogan actually means “fear of the future” – as in the noun “fear” and not the verb “to fear.” This makes the English version sound like it’s telling you to be afraid, which I’m guessing is not a mistranslation but a deliberate marketing ploy to grip potential customers.

3. Lord Bigglesworth says:

Funny, the last time I visited Mos cow it looked exactly like on that picture. Dirty, smelly and the “buildings” look like they are about to collapse at any moment.

4. Veldjes! says:

4A games should cooperate with GSC to produce… S.T.A.L.K.E.R. IN M.E.T.R.O.

5. disperse says:

Was that a full auto burst TO THE NADS?

6. Mistabashi says:

Well, GSC have already ‘contributed’ to this game in a way by losing several team members to 4A games, including the lead artist that worked on Shadow of Chernobyl. It’s no accident these games have such a similar ‘look’ to them.

7. the wiseass says:

If the game is going to be as enthralling and atmospheric as the book it is based upon, then I can’t wait to play this little sucker.

8. Vinraith says:

I’m going to be interested to hear the reviews, word of mouth, and RPS take on this one. I’m not big on linear corridor shooters, but the atmosphere here looks outstanding.

9. Shalrath says:

If this is a corridor-y game similar in look/feel to Stalker, I’m all for it. Can’t really tell from the hilariously-pivoting console controls shown thus far.

• Aftershock says:

Well, this trailer was scary. I’m really bad with scary games, i nearly shat my pants in stalker.

Can’t wait.

10. 1nightstand says:

I wanted this sucker since two years ago- lame first trailer and all, I could see the potential- at one point I was sure it has become a vaporware. Glad it isn’t so.

I wonder, though, if they kept all the things they promised to deliver- the RPG elements, the bullets=money system, and one potentially awesome game-play mechanic: some monsters will freeze if you shine your flashlight directly on them, refraining from attacking you, which they will do as soon as you direct your torch elsewhere or your battery runs off.

• Lemon scented apocalypse says:

For truth? I just dribbled a bit on my keyboard

• 1nightstand says:

That’s what I read back then.
      Whether they stuck to the plan or not, I don’t know.

• Premium User Badge Malcolm says:

They were still talking about the bullets = money mechanic in December’s Edge magazine preview. Can’t recall the other details though – can dig it out and check if you’re really interested!

11. HarbourMaster says:

Saw the previous trailer which didn’t light my fire. This one better, more fire lighty. Looking forward to RPS wordage on this.

12. Ziv says:

damn! I know i’ll be getting this one. w/ all the fuss lately ’bout open world shooter there hasn’t been many good corridor shooters. I think the last one I really liked and could sink hours into was half life 2.

13. Chizu says:

Metro 2033 is up for pre-purchase on steam now, including a free Red Faction Gorilla.

• Jeremy says:

“…including a free Red Faction Gorilla.”

Free with each preorder, a free ape wearing a Che T-shirt!

• Miles of the Machination says:

Throw in a bowler hat and you’ve got yourself a deal

• 1nightstand says:

@ Jeremy

Is RFG that bad?

In any case, I lol’d

• Jeremy says:

Never played RFG, just thought it was a bit punny.

The STALKER-y bits on this one look good, but I’m wondering how the other parts will work. I’ve still got to finish SoC, Clear Sky, Witcher, not to mention all the games from Steam’s winter sale.

14. Miles of the Machination says:

I’ve very tempted to get this, now especially for the post cards with the lovely art work that come in the special edition. But it horrifies me that I probably won’t have time to play much in the coming, year, so Metro’s future on my shelf looks shaky.

15. JB says:

I have to say, it’s looking tempting. Especially as my STALKER won’t work properly now.

The mounted flamethrower vs melee monster action looks like a lot of fun.

16. szlevi says:

I’d be very interested, thanks in advance!
    This game would arrive just in time to ease my need for another apocalyptic journey after I’ve finished Call of Pripyat (just started it hours ago, it’s awesome!)