Stargate: Resistance Footage

By Jim Rossignol on February 4th, 2010 at 10:13 am.

So here’s an odd thing. Cheyenne Mountain, the developers of the Stargate Worlds MMO, are about to release a team-based Stargate-themed shooter, Stargate: Resistance, via Firesky studio. Stargate Worlds, you might remember, has had extreme difficulties with funding, development, and all that stuff. Which kind of begs the question as to why resources are being poured into a (frankly not great-looking) shooter instead. Well, it seems that the company want to offer something to fans, and this is a kind of “look we really are doing something with the Stargate license” offering intended to appease the hungry Stargateers (Stargatians? Stargaties? Stargatistas?) Anyway, the game is out February 10th, on digital download, and the trailer is below.

, , .

1. MarkSide says:

Stargatistas. Definitely.

2. Okami says:

Look, it’s 2002 all over again!

3. Lord Bigglesworth says:

Just let it die, for gods sake !!

4. damien says:

just from that clip, it honestly looks like a licensed IP themed version of section 8.

which is not a bad thing in my opinion. its seeming lack of ambition makes me hope that it might deliver a rich experience “for what it is”.

who knows, maybe the servers wont be as dead as section 8′s are?

more interest in this game just based on that clip than i’ve had for star trek online.

5. Rich says:

Pffft. Looks rubbish. Anyone know what engine they’re using?

• Ubiquitous says:

Unreal 3 engine, though for the life of me I’d swear it looks like they hacked a couple of digits off of it.

• neolith says:

You’ve got to be kidding me! That’s the worst use of UT3 tech I’ve seen so far. Even Fury looked better. The screenshots for this are all the way boring, bleached out & lacking contrast. There is no depth, the textures are very plain, I cannot make out advanced shaders and there doesn’t seem to be any kind of post-processing. This is sad… :(

• Wulf says:

Actually, the use of shadows seemed good to me, I could see some subtle bloom there, so there’s definitely post-processing. But kids today… I think they’re not happy unless everything has a nasty, plastic sheen. This actually looks better than most modern games because the concrete walls at least look like concrete, as opposed to a plastic rendition of concrete that one might find in a child’s playset. >.< Call me old fashioned, but I like my concrete looking like concrete.

• Lilliput King says:

It looks like the worst thing I’ve ever seen.

The animation looks like shonky MMO style cardboard men, and despite originating from the (fairly) decent aesthetic of the TV show, there’s no cohesion in the environments.

And then, obviously, there’s the graphics. Might be being a little harsh here, considering the financial difficulties the studio appears to be in, but there’s no point beating around the bush – it still looks like something in the Q3 engine.

6. Flint says:

It kinda looks like it’s being played using those dodgy 3rd person views you can enable in FPS games through the console.

7. Bonedwarf says:

I love sci fi but Stargate just never floated my boat. Always seemed to be people standing around talking. (Did love the time loop episode though. That was great!)

This gave is at LEAST five years too late.

8. ZIGS says:

I was mildly interested in this (I stress the word “mildly”) until I realized it was online. Also, it doesn’t look THAT bad

9. Centy says:

Well that doesnt look great there’s a couple of source mods that look far better but this will atleast have players.

I am a huge stargate fan but I dont like MMO’s so I’ll probably get this anyway well assuming the price is right and it shows up on steam it may prove to be a good distraction.

10. Hippo says:

“Which kind of begs the question as to why resources are being poured into a (frankly not great-looking) shooter instead.”

Fairly obvious, really. They need income, now. Stargate Worlds isn’t going to provide that.

11. Demon Beaver says:

It looks like a standard UT1 mod…

12. CMaster says:

“We didn’t realise that making an MMO requires a lot of pretty in-depth knowledge of and working with massive databases and sophisticated net code. We did however make a bunch of Stargate visual assetts. So we’re launching a reskinned UT3 instead”

Is that what they actually mean?

13. Dain says:

Free mods look better. Hells that cancelled FPS from a few years back looked better I reckon

Actually that looks better than the MMO too. *Sigh*

14. rocketman71 says:

Wow, that looks horrible. Especially the autoaiming laser, which was ridiculous.

Besides, no LAN.

15. mungobungo says:

I believe they like to be known as “stargoats”

16. Bleeters says:

I may have died a little inside at the sight of Jaffa bunny hopping into a stargate. Can people stop causing me to die a little inside? I’m running out of life in there.

17. mandrill says:

looks like they’ve just taken the combat from the MMO and stuck it in its own game.

18. damien says:

i’m mildly disappointed at so many comments focusing only on the visuals of the game.

• Larington says:

Yeah, you aren’t the only one. Sign of the times I guess.

19. Premium User Badge innokenti says:

For 12 quid that’s not dreadful.

Not great… but might be fairly amusing.

20. Gwyd says:

Well I did buy Firewarrior back in the day, hmm…should I…

• Rosti says:

But Firewarrior had some UNHOLY VOCAL TALENT. I doubt this’ll have the likes of Brian Blessed, Tom Baker, Burt Kwouk or Peter Serafinowicz, more’s the pity.

21. Sp4rkR4t says:

If there is a competition out there for how to make unreal 3 tech look bad this would win it hands down, I know the resources are just taken direct from the assets they generated for the MMO but these look bad by MMO standards, using them in an FPS is just wrong. I have no problem with them following the Runic games model of releasing an interim game to fund their big MMO project as they did with Torchlight, but Torchlight worked because it was a simple fun and brilliantly put together game. This isn’t.

22. Premium User Badge KindredPhantom says:

This looks terrible. They should have just let the team behind the source mod Stargate the Last Stand make their game retail by giving them a license, it would probably looks and play a lot better.

The UT3 Stargate mod looks better than this and that is a mod not a full retail game.

I fear for the Stargate MMO, it’s is probably going be laughably bad.

23. kharnevil says:

you reckon they’re testing the water then? (for the MMO, not a vague atlantis reference, or even a silvery puddle reference,… i should stop writing now)

24. DXN says:

If I knew some people with guns were gonna be coming out of a stargate I would set up some rotating saws just outside of it instead of some more people with guns.

25. LionsPhil says:

Wow, a whole thirty seconds of generic team deathmatch gameplay footage! Really shows their confidence, that does. Also, agree that that curving beam thing looks like cheap-kill city.

Also, graphics whiners: STFU. The only thing wrong with them is that they don’t justify to your subconcious the fact that you spent half your year’s income on overclocked SLi rigs by making everything out of pixel-shaded neon glow and bloom. (UT99 mod? Seriously? UT99 may have had nicer lighting, but it sure didn’t have those polycounts.)

@DXN: Hell, close the iris. IIRC, Stargate canon says that if you slam into one of those on your inbound journey, you get turned into an atom-thin meat pancake.

26. bill says:

Why should a terrible sci-fi show like Stargate get a good game, when almost every other decent sci-fi show has been denied one?

27. LionsPhil says:

Uh-oh! Sci-fi fanboy flamebait on the Internet! Someone raise the tachyon deflectors and invert the polarity matrix!

FACT: All television/film “sci-fi” is unworthy of the “science” part of the name anyway.

• Lilliput King says:

How is this even relevant?

Good sci-fi doesn’t need to be based on good science. Fiction, yeah?

However, your flamebait has succeeded in that I feel I must ask – is that really the case? Is anything about Moon particularly fantastical, for example?

28. Deekman says:

I LOVED SG1 then right around Season 7 it started to become terrible.

This game looks terrible and is coming 6 years too late.

It’s great they’ve got the licence but all the characters are unrecognizable and look terrible.

Not to mention the gameplay looks boring. You want a TRUE Stargate experience go to the fans:

Half Life 2 Total Conversion Mod – Team Based FPS with Stargate Everything that actually kicks ass:

29. Javier-de-Ass says:

hehe. wow. there’s a lot of negativity towards this. I don’t have any relationship with stargate at all, but the game looks somewhat interesting. can’t really tell from that video.

30. DMJ says:

I hope there’s more to this than just a third-person deathmatch game with a Stargate skin.

I always thought Stargate would make a rather good objective- and squad-based multiplayer game. Perhaps something like 2142′s Titan mode.

31. Pew says:

For a 13 quid pre-order with bonuses, I might give this a try if I can enough other SG-1 fan friends to do the same. I can’t see myself play this for more than a weekend at the most though :\

That it’s made by remnants of the original JoWood studio that worked/works on the MMO definitely doesn’t help. God I hate JoWood.

• Impossible says:

JoWood has nothing to do with Stargate Resistance or with Stargate Worlds. They were the publisher of the original, canceled FPS, Stargate SG-1: Alliance.

32. bob_d says:

Well, we could criticize it for being (fragments of) an aborted MMO that was hurriedly and inappropriately forced into the role of shooter, but we can only assume that from the trailer and company history…

The company is pretty desperate; they’re hoping that there are enough fans of the I.P. who will overlook the fact that there isn’t much of a game there and buy it anyways to keep the studio afloat for a bit longer. I can’t imagine that it will work.

33. LionsPhil says:

For some reason it has a Wikipedia article. The most hilarious part is the quote from the “creative consultant” at the end, which basically boils down to selling this game based on the limitations of the MMO one. Whoops.

34. Jeremy says:

Like the series, the game is long on potential and short on delivery. They could have done soo much with the Stargate game, the stargate is a perfect device for rapidly getting around so you don’t have to run all over the place. Stargate Command could act as the hub where you pick up missions, go out, meet weird people. Then you could be taken over by one of the tokra aliens and lead an assault on Earth, or deal with a foothold situation, etc.

So much potential in the material, but they do less with it than the show did.

35. Grey_Ghost says:

I don’t remember any Phasers in Stargate…

36. Nezuji says:

I think that it’s supposed to be the “brain fry” ability of the Goa’uld “ribbon device”, just with a WAY longer range than was ever in the show.