Things Of Tomorrow

By Alec Meer on February 4th, 2010 at 2:16 am.

Upon emerging blinking into the, er, darkness after a binge-play to completion of Bioshock 2 (thoughts on which will appear here in a few days), I realise a) I still have to post something on RPS even though it’s gone 2am and b) I have no idea what’s next on my plate o’fun now that I’m all done with that and Mass Effect 2. So, in the spirit of doing mean things to two birds at once, here’s a few things happening in the near future (starting tomorrow, in fact. Well, today now) that should reignite my excitometer.

Firstly, tomorrow we’re due a demo of the Aliens versus Predator remake/sequel/no-easy-term-for it. It’s a multiplayer only demo, comprising the deathmatch map Refinery, but containing all three species – the Alien, the Predator, and the controversial last-minute change from Human Marine to Elderly Golden Retriever. Can it hold an ichor-coated candle to the original PC AvP? We’ll find out in mere hours. The full game launches on the 16th, and if all goes to plan I’ll be Wot I Thinking all over its face just before then. Update: it’s available right now.

Secondly, on the 15th of this month we’re due to find out what Gas-Powered Games’ next project (i.e. whatever comes after Supreme Commander 2 arrives on March 5th) is. I’m extremely curious about this one. Lately, I’ve been torn between worry and hope for this one-time giant of PC gaming. Space Siege was low-rent and embarrassing to such an extent that I suspect there’s still an exceedingly interesting business story to be told about what happened there, while Demigod suffered the twin indignities of hype-destroying networking problems and GPG handing all discussion about it over to the publisher. So: are these signs of a developer past their prime and phoning it in, or will they be mad-keen to prove themselves after such mishaps? And is this a brand new project, or is it Dungeon Siege 3? Or is Demigod 2: This Time With Working Netcode?

Then there’s Crysis 2, decent details of which have been splattered onto the internet via German mag PCGames. If you don’t have access to that mag, some of the key details are summarised here. And now I shall summarise that summary. s we already knew, it’s set in New York – but three years on from the last game, and with the city in something of a state. And it’s not the only place those bleeding aliens have made a mess of – it’s all gone a bit Half-Life 2, by the sounds of it.

The Nanosuit’s redesigned, retaining four modes but combining Strength and Speed into Power – the fourth slot sounds as though it’ll be something to do with scanning the environment for information. Meanwhile, stealth is a passive mode, only sapping your battery when you turn on optional full-invisibility, which should make it a whole lot more fun than the ‘you can’t see me oh now you can’ invisibility of the first game. There’s also talk of vertical design – which hopefully will be more Mirror’s Edge than Dark Void.

There are the inevitable promises that the storytelling’s been tightened up, but a) I’ll believe that when I see it and b) I almost don’t care; it’s the idea of Crytek turning their tech might towards a city rather than vegetation for a change that’s exciting, not what happens to Prophet and chums next. Big, varied, non-linear urban superheroics in a beautiful engine? If they can make that city feel as real as they’ve managed to make islands feel, this could be the high-tech, high-budget Stalker-like loads of us have been crying out for. Crysis didn’t do all that much for me, so I wasn’t paying much attention to sequel news, but something about it’s starting to sound just right…

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Wulf says:

So… “combining the strength and strength”? You really are tired, Alec.

Go to bed!

2. Stromko says:

I’m in the same state after finishing a binge session comprising Mass Effect + Mass Effect 2 playthrough. A week and 60 game-play hours later, I’ve just been flailing around not knowing what to play next. Rubble Trouble was a good refresher though, considering booting up Red Faction Guerilla (bought on a ludicrous sale) and seeing if there’s fun to be had in the PC version.

Found out that Face of Mankind is back up. Sandbox FPS occasional-gankfest with player-controlled and constantly shifting political backdrop that drives most of the action. It’s gone free-to-play with a premium option, and I’m surprised by a lack of cussing children spoiling the fun.

I might care about Crysis 2 if the protagonist doesn’t feel so surprisingly weak, fragile, yet utterly blank and unsympathetic this time.

I don’t know what they can do really to make the AVP reboot better than the originals and worth revisiting.

• phuzz says:

I have to say, Red Faction Guerilla is enormous fun, it’s almost GTA in Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace, but with added sledgehammer bashing. I almost wish I’d bought this for full price, and for $5 it was a steal.
      BASH!

• Chris R says:

Red Faction is AMAZING fun. I LOVE taking out all the EDF properties to weaken them, it is such a blast (see what I did there?). And after I liberate a sector, I like to go back and level the remaining buildings in their old bases, haha. It’s a grand old time. I paid $15 for it, and feel like I should have paid $50 for it, just to support the devs… :( They made an great game and should be supported for that great effort, ya know?

I can’t wait until 5 years from now when the physics in games is even more realistic and we have more realistic material modeling and destruction (concrete, steel, wood, plasterboard, etc). Fully destructible environments kinda like Bad Company 2, but in a single player game… Oh man!

3. Sweedums says:

tried the AvP demo just now, but it couldnt find any games to join, that may be because A) their silly matchmaking system is turd, or B) there is nobody on… it is 2:39am afterall, but i guess some yanks should be on with the different time zones…

i guess i’ll try it again tomorrow and see if it works any better….

• armlesscorps says:

It takes a very long time to find a match, way past the point where you start thinking its broke and isn’t going to find one.

• Chris R says:

Ahhh, I ran into the same issue. I thought it was because I hadn’t formed a group or something… good to know that I’ll just have to wait longer.

4. unangbangkay says:

Oh, finally, properly useful stealth mode. Let’s just hope that they suddenly don’t get super-vision when they jump into a turret.

• Taillefer says:

But stealth was already the most useful, even overpowered, mode.

5. BeamSplashX says:

Crysis 2 being really good? I’d never have guessed (outside of the graphics, maybe). Though I suppose getting the tech right in one game and improving the design later isn’t too uncommon.

P.S. Does anyone forget that GPG made Space Siege? It just seems too bland to have come from them; I thought Dungeon Siege was pushing the shallowness envelope far enough.

6. mejobloggs says:

Dungeon Siege 1 = Awesome
    Dungeon Siege 2 = Meh
    Space Seige = Looked so bad I didn’t even bother playing it

7. Samuel Bigos says:

AvP demo is pretty awful, no dedicated servers, one button instant kills, bad controls as alien, no iron sights or crouch, sprint is defaulted to Q (can change that though), takes 10 minutes to find a game, microphones are set to transmit and theres no way to mute.

On the upside it looks quite good (as a marine anyway) and runs well.

I’ve canceled my pre-order, I don’t see how a developer who releases a demo like this can have much faith in the actual game.

• Shalrath says:

No crouch? Hahahahahahaha, what the fuck did they DO to it?

• Isometric says:

oh dear that doesn’t sound very good at all :\

• Cynic says:

Wow, those are some nice oversights. No crouch, really?

• D says:

I don’t think crouch is mandatory. I think they should make the decision that results in a better game. Missing crouch does not automatically mean they’ve made a bad game.

• D says:

Hm wat? What i meant to say was ITS NOT BALANCED FOR CROUCH!!

• Psychopomp says:

I would like to comment on gameplay, but EVERY SINGLE MOTHER FUCKING GAME I JOIN, I spawn off the map and die, nonstop.
      Confidence completely fucking shattered.

• Bhazor says:

What the heck’s happened to Rebellion?

• Patrick says:

I assumed that they re-release AvP1 for almost nothing so that they could have people remember the Rebellion that was, and not what it is now. Oh yeah, AvP3 is a crap console port. Yippee.

• JonFitt says:

I’ve DL’d it for Xbox but haven’t tried it yet. My guess is it’ll play better there.

• Psychopomp says:

Got it to work, and Jesus Christ marine is awesome. Ask anyone who was in chat with me, I was fucking whimpering and screaming like a girl the entire time.

8. kedaha says:

I’m more excited about Far Cry 3 than Crysis 2.

Pity they cant combine and make Far Crysis 2.5, combined the open world and dynamics of Far Cry 2, with Crysis weapon feel/tech engine/structured design

9. Ken says:

why all the Crysis hating? I can honestly say its one of the best fps games I’ve played lately. I’ve never played a shooter that allows for as much creativity and open-endedness as Crysis does. True, the story and characters were not as strong, but the gameplay was incredible. The graphics weren’t too shabby either ;-)

• merc says:

Agreed. Crysis has excellent gameplay, the flexibility and versitility of the suit and open environments is a ton of fun. I suspect many people barely used the suit powers and played it as a bog standard FPS, rather than playing around with constantly switching suit powers to get the best out of combat, which is where the real fun was.

• Jockie says:

I have happy memories of killing soldiers by throwing plantpots in their faces. Maybe everyones memory is just tarnished by the poorness of the later stages of the game

• Monchberter says:

Totally agree. Crysis and Warhead were only limited by the sometimes cheating AI and your own imagination. Replaying Crysis again now and forcing a different play style on myself and it’s as hugely entertaining as my first play through.

I agree with Mr Meer however that the setting has taken the Half-Life 2 turn, but then where could they go with it? Plus this is the first game Crytek are releasing on consoles and I am sure that they want to make sure they can elbow forcefully (with MAXIMUM STRENGTH no less) into Halo and Modern Warfare 2′s market (the Crysis multiplayer was consistently underrated) with an urban setting.

There’s also rumours that all buildings will be fully explorable and destructible (a’la Red Steel) and the ability to ‘tag’ places or things as noted in the summary seems to lend credence to this as it’d be more than difficult to locate things when you’re in the middle of a skyscraper.

See here for more ruminating

The hint at ‘vertical gameplay’ and the combination of strength and speed tells me that Crytek have played Mirror’s Edge and they are going to try and perfect it. I’m very much looking forward to this game.

• Stromko says:

I’m always left wondering if everyone else got a different version of Crysis where, to put it bluntly, everything it tried to do didn’t fail utterly. Of course, to be reasonable, I know it’s just that a lot of design decisions they made really pissed me off. I actually heard it touted as some kind of ‘superhero origin story’, when it’s really more a parody of overpriced military boondoggles (like super suits) that sound cool but are actually quite useless. The protagonist from Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth was more empowered than the poor gimp in that suit.

One thing it did get right, they did support mods. I feel that Far Cry 2 was better out of the box in every way, but by blocking mod support they killed any long-term value. A few rounds playing Mech Warrior Living Legends and I didn’t feel ashamed to own Crysis.

• Bhazor says:

Wow you’ve really got to explain a huge statement along the lines that a game was entirely broken. Seriously, if thats what you played then we definitely had different versions.

• Chris R says:

Crysis was my favorite game back when it first came out, and I spent well over 200 hours faffing about in each of the first handfull of maps (before the game became more linear towards the end)…

I also replayed more of the game with a game trainer that allowed me to tweak the heck out of my suit powers, so I could do crazy stuff.

This article by Tom Francis describes how I played Crysis, after I used a trainer to enhance the suits abilities: http://www.pentadact.com/index.php/2008-05-27-crysis-suit-modes-revisited

I still revisit Crysis and Warhead on occasion to keel more North Koreans.

10. sigma83 says:

Crysis felt like a ‘big boy’s club.’ You must have This Much RAM to ride. That’s probably why it engendered so much animosity, a game that purposely attempted to exclude people in pursuit of something which hasn’t been a primary focus since the consoles started to become a viable gaming platform, i.e. graphics.

• KillahMate says:

But that’s childish. That’s hating the game for trying to stand out (graphically). Why the hell shouldn’t they make the game as hardware-intensive and photorealistic as they wish? Did MS and Sony pass a law stating “since our consoles can’t crunch that many polygons, you’re not allowed to use them”?

I’m not big on photoreal gaming, and my system couldn’t run Crysis at all for the longest time, but I could still appreciate what they were trying to do. Everyone agrees that photorealism shouldn’t be the focus, but you need to have one company pushing the envelope, not being restricted by half a decade old pieces of console hardware. Someone has to colonize the frontier, so that everyone can later benefit from the expanded palette of graphical styles.

• Monchberter says:

From a bit of a trawl regarding the Crysis 2 article, I think ALL screenshots are from the Xbox360 version.

Now what does that tell you about how well it’ll run on PC’s?

11. ulix says:

AvP Demo availlable now?

“This item is currently unavailable in your region.”

Do they mean Europe or do they mean Germany?

12. ulix says:

Also:
    “the fourth slot sounds as though it’ll be something to do with scanning the environment for information.”

Always glad to have some Metroid Prime in any game.

13. Lanster27 says:

So Crysis 2 is like Crysis + Batman AA ( scanning environment / detective mode) + Prototype (open-ended city).

14. Spacewalk says:

I’m sure that there’s an allegory in there somewhere…

15. jonfitt says:

Damn, this AvP demo is bad. You can spam E for an insta-kill animation at a good distance, and there’s no crouch or apparent reason for the Alien to do any of the alleged “Hiding in the shadows”.

The matchmaking complete with its looong wait times and “Host has left. Game over, man, game over.” is hopefully just a feature of the demo, but the whole experience has left me cold.

If you loved the way knife insta-kills >> bullets in MW2, you’ll love this.

I appreciate the way they’ve tried to make the game feel physical, but it just seems meat headed and sluggish.

16. MadTinkerer says:

“Space Siege was low-rent and embarrassing to such an extent that I suspect there’s still an exceedingly interesting business story to be told about what happened there,”

I have yet to finish Space Siege, but from what I have played so far, I think it’s main problem is that it’s not a FPS.

It’s the perfect setting for a FPS, it uses all the FPS tropes and then some, it adds in a neat skill/upgrade system not unlike Bioshock, and even tries to play the same sort of narrative tricks that normally you’d see in a FPS rather than a top-down action strategy game (like seeing someone pull a G Man disappearing act). And that’s the problem.

It’s a shame, because if they’d just made a game that fit more with the control scheme, or changed it to an FPS and used all the same assets, it would have been a decent FPS. Not a Half Life or System Shock killer, but probably better than, for example, Prey.

• Vinraith says:

Honestly, I don’t entirely understand the amount of hate Space Siege gets. I played it all the way through (got it in one of those $5 sales on GG) and thought it was a decent run-of-the-mill action RPG with a couple of interesting ideas (I actually enjoyed the dodge mechanic that most people complained about). No, it was nothing exceptional, but it also wasn’t a buggy broken mess, didn’t have any serious difficulty balancing problems or other game-breaking problems, and in general just seems too middle-of-the-road to warrant the kind of distaste it seems to engender. Is it just because GPG made it, and other people have higher expectations from them than I do?

• Dave says:

I played Space Siege at a trade show for a few minutes and hated it then.

On the other hand, at the same show I tried Mirror’s Edge and liked it… and bought it and played it about 4 hours before it got too annoying. So maybe if I survived 4 hours of Space Siege, I would get to the good part and suddenly change my mind.

• Vinraith says:

@Dave

I’m sure part of it is a product of expectations. It sounds like you played it at or even before release, I played it after having heard from everyone that it was terrible for 6 months. With expectations as low as mine were, it probably wasn’t too hard for Space Siege to exceed them.

• Dr_Ham says:

It was a fantastically bland game. Grey corridor after grey corridor, little to no variation in enemies, loads of backtracking quests through said corridors. It makes me sleepy just remembering it….

17. mcnostril says:

Whoa the AvP demo is terrible.

I think the game is still promising, but this is a terrible showcase for it.
    Deathmatch on a tiny map without any sort of tutorial is completely moronic.

The insta kills aren’t that bad (well, the range is a bit much). I think the problem is just exacerbated by the fact that it’s deathmatch on a tiny map; you have no idea where people spawn, so half the time they spawn behind you ready for the insta kill, and since everyone is out to kill everyone, it usually turns into a chain of insta kills. Deathmatch went out of style for a reason, and in a game as asymmetrical as this, it’s just bloody stupid. Some of those insta kills are more like just “kills” seeing how long a few of them take (it could be interesting if they could be interrupted by someone else, but I haven’t seen it happen), and as such I think they wouldn’t be quite the problem in other gametypes. I’ve already had a couple of games (I was shocked, the second time it found one in under 5 minutes!) where people were more wary of the instakills and kept spinning around all paranoid. It was actually kinda tough to pull one off on someone that wasn’t fighting everyone else (hence the problem with deathmatch).

Also have to wonder why the marine is so sluggish, and why his knees are incapable of bending. Must be their diet or something.

Although it’s somewhat amusing to play the lone marine in a server full of aliens and predators.

I still hold out hope, but by god did they just shoot themselves in the foot with this one.

• D says:

Not to worry! (The executives think) We’ll just slap a sticker on the load screen. “This game is pre-release code and is not representative of the quality of the game.” Yes! Thats a brilliant solution! With this message in place, we can stress test our stuff and not lose any potential customers with our crap product at the same time!

Sorry. Stupid signs and loading screen messages just piss me off. I haven’t even tried to get into a game yet.

18. Miles of the Machination says:

What interests me, from a technological standpoint in Crysis 2 is how they are building stereoscopic 3D technology into the engine, allowing for absurd 3D-ness without the wallet atomiser that is the current nVidia arrangement. However I assume you’re still going to need an autostereoscopic, or 120Htz monitor.

19. The One and Only says:

You forgot Din’s Curse (from the guy who did Depths of Peril and Kivi’s Underworld) which has started preorders (including access to the beta). :P

• Patrick says:

Sweet! It’s not the prettiest thing, but it should have the most “living” gameworld of any diablo-like game to date.

For instance, if you blow off some undead quest, zombies may invade the town and turn everyone (even the shopkeepers) into zombies; escorted people can turn against you; monsters wage wars against each other. Definitely grabbing the preorder/beta it tonight (which I never do).

20. Shadowcat says:

here’s a few things [...] that should reignite my excitometer.

Clearly the Mass Effect and Bioshock sequels were rather depressingly unexciting.

21. Spectre-7 says:

I suppose I’ll offer the lone dissenting opinion… I played a few hours worth of AvP (mostly as a predator) and had a really good time, as did the five or so friends I was playing with. The matchmaking system is garbage, but it’s much more manageable when you have a few friends along with you. That also seemed to speed up the process for one reason or another.

By the third game or so, folks were really shying away from the trophy kills. It takes several seconds to play out, so you usually find yourself the victim of a trophy kill the moment your own has finished. This means that the bulk of the combat are head-to-head melee encounters, and the bloody marines with their machine guns.

The melee almost feels more like a fighting game, what with the blocks, counters and what-not. Their pounce attack also adds another wrinkle, as it stuns the enemy for a moment and gives an a chance to deliver a finishing blow.

The disc and plasma caster are also all sorts of fun.

Can’t comment on the default controls as I changed them before ever entering the game, as I do in pretty much every FPS.

• mcnostril says:

I have to agree, but my point above still stands. It’s bloody stupid in deathmatch. The marines are hosed enough without having to shoot each other. On the other hand, if you can convince the other marine players to team up, it’s good fun.

The one hit kills are somewhat broken at times though; aside from the ridiculous range, there are several occasions where I’ve died/pulled one off on an opponent facing me (as opposed to the tug of war that plays out from the front).

I’m actually enjoying it, despite it being a terrible terrible demo.

Oh yeah, and the flashlight needs to actually brighten up the area. Sheesh, there are times when I can’t actually tell if it’s on or off, so pitiful is the amount of light it gives.

22. bhlaab says:

Crysis was brilliant you turds

• RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

I agree, especially because, although it was meant to look brilliant on new hardware, it was still playable on a pentium 4 computer with just a radeon 9600 card. Ok, the resolution was shit, at 800*600, but it was possible to finish the game. And it was still fun.

Will this sequal be using the building demolition that was demoed in that video from a few weeks back, where random buildings were entered and shot to bits?

23. Heliocentric says:

ME2 and BS2 are still in my future list. But the idea of crysis io a city sounds like a whole world of comprimise. I hope to get my urban first person thrills from subversion.

Hell, all my future games are either backlog or crazy discounts on steam and d2d. How can i pay rrp when things like psychonauts for £1(2?) exist.

24. pignoli says:

Heliocentric said:

Absolutely, 100% this. I’ve almost convinced myself that I’ll buy no new/full price games until I’ve at least cleared 1/2 my backlog – I’m still plodding away at Dragon Age at the moment, which was the last new game I acquired, albeit as an xmas present. I’m beginning to wonder how there is still a market for full priced games, between multiplayer and crazy deals, my gaming time is totally occupied…

25. alseT says:

Crysis was so good that I see it in the holy trinity of modern SP shooters, alongside Half Life 2 and STALKER.

Everything else is just inferior.

And so I’m enormously excited for 2 despite the multi-platform release.

26. Cynic says:

Oh god, the consolised matchmaking burns. Whoever thinks it’s a good idea to hide basic information, like how many servers are currently running, needs some kind of therapy. It keeps forcing me to make my own ‘group’ instead of letting me join a game in progress.

After eyeing the controls I have to ask, where’s the speargun?

27. skinlo says:

Wasn’t impressed by the demo at all, didn’t get one kill playing the alien, runs a bit laggy, controls aren’t very good, graphics are quite poor and boring. I won’t be buying.

28. SirKicksalot says:

There’s a block combo for instakills in the AvP demo. And the Alien still has pounce. I only played as the Alien, and boy was it awesome…
    Give it some time, once people learn how to play it should be great. AvP was never a game you could pick up and instantly be good.

• Vandelay says:

I really only played as Marines, but I agree that people seem to be overacting a bit to the demo. It seemed like some good old fashioned deathmatch fair to me. Nothing wrong with that. Instant kills were slightly annoying to begin with, but remember that you do have your scanner to pick up on people trying to sneak up on you. Once I got used to listening out for the beeps (which do need to be louder, for atmospheric purposes as well as gameplay,) I had no problems. It also added those nice moments of panic when you glance down and see 3 dots on the scanner. I didn’t notice any blocks for the marines, but I assume you get those for the other classes (and it isn’t really needed with the scanner.)

Outside of the gameplay, things start looking less good. The lobby system is horrific. I managed to get into one game after waiting about 5 minutes (glad this was in steam and I could use the steam overlay to surf the web whilst waiting.) Played without too much difficulty from there, but the host decided to leave in the middle of the second game (after I was just starting to get to grips with Predator,) immediately ending the game for us all. Another 5 minute wait for another lobby and got nothing, eventually having to give up. So, in the end I actually ended up playing for about 10 minutes when I was in the game for about 30. Really not acceptable.

I can understand a lobby system in a game like Left 4 Dead, where teamplay is important and things are much more personal, but in a fairly straightforward deathmatch game, a server browser is really needed. Also, the lack of being able to join a game in progress is awful. The option “quick match” is quite the misnomer.

• SirKicksalot says:

They kinda shot themselves in the foot with this matchmaking stuff. I bet many people aren’t aware the full game will have dedis.
      Finding a game is quite an adventure, but once you start it’s great. Still haven’t tried the other species, I’m loving the Alien way too much. I can *feel* the weight of the creature, it’s not a floating camera anymore…

I’ve read somewhere that the Marine blocks with the melee button.

• mcnostril says:

I can’t confirm the block with melee for the marine, but I’m inclined to believe it. 80% of the time, my melee does nothing, however, everyone once in a while, it staggers the alien/pred. I don’t think it’s random, so it is probably the timing that makes it effective.

Am I the only one having trouble shooting with the pulse rifle because of the incredible muzzle flash? Maybe it’s the graphics settings, but it’s quite hard to track an alien when you screen is flashing white the whole time.

29. Patrick says:

The big Fallout: New Vegas infostorm is coming out TODAY.

30. Will says:

No crouch?

Oh no! Crouching was the perfect defence against that wall-crawling leaps-20-feet-in-a-single-bound-and-has-acid-for-blood xenomorph. Or the stealthy gorilla-like alien hunter, a slight decrease in my height completely foiled their ability to scoop my head from my shoulders.

31. OJ287 says:

Predator: lone super soldier with camouflaging power armour in the jungle.
    Predator 2: lone super soldier with camouflaging power armour in the city…

Is the soldier in Crysis going to turn out to be an alien hunter?

32. Chris R says:

Lol, what the hell?? This is hilarious.

So… What you’re telling me is there is an alternative to Crysis 2?

33. Bhazor says:

You know most spam bots are sexist but this robot is subtle with it.

Hooray for advancing ai.

34. scundoo says:

The Alien is TOO SLOW, and it doesn’t “flow” as gracefully as it should along the corners of the walls
    The marine is wearing boots made of cement (and covered in molasses), while he apparently got his flashlight from the dollar store.

35. Dave Brickley says:

Matchmaking on PC is sorted now, it’s been a pretty ghastly day seeing something manifest that hadn’t shown up in relatively large scale testing, but believe it’s under control now. Honest.

Sorry guys.