Fragging With Dinosaurs: Primal Carnage

By John Walker on February 5th, 2010 at 5:23 pm.

That doesn't quite seem big enough.

Man versus dinosaur. We all know the days are coming. In preparation for the ultimate war, there’s Primal Carnage. It’s to be a team-based FPS multiplayer, in which one side plays as the humans, the other the giant stompy reptiles. It’s from indie team Lukewarm Media, previously noticed for their unreleased mod/full game, Light Spire. But we’re focusing on dinosaurs just now, and Primal Carnage has just opened itself a website, announced a deal with Ungine, and offers a few tech videos to look at.

So far they’ve announced one of the five classes for each side, the humans’ Scientist and the dinosaurs’ T-rex. There’s also two announced game modes, Power Grid, a base-capturing 10v10 match, and Survival, a five-player human game in which the small team defends a moving base from AI dino attacks.

Apparently human play will be first-person, while dinosaurs controlled from the third. And the dinosaurs look splendid. For instance, here’s a t-rex stomping on a young lady:

And here’s a raptor causing a spot of trouble.

Hi!

There’s talk of a beta in the near future. And hopefully we’ll get to see some proper in-game footage.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Tei says:

My loyalty is with the dinosaurs, obvious winners of the war. I for one, wellcome our future draconian overlords.

2. Flint says:

I’m not into competetive FPS games but holy hell here’s a great idea.

3. Gap Gen says:

The first video clearly needs to be dubbed with the dinosaur discussing philosophy with a utahraptor.

4. clive dunn says:

I’m opening a book on this. I’ll give you even odds that it’s genius, 4-1 that its ‘meh’, and 20-1 on it being shite.

As with all brilliant ideas, you have to ask yourself why oh why hasn’t this been done before.

(I wanna be a mellow leaf eating dinosaur that stays out of trouble but if hassled just plops an enormo-foot on whoever dared to rile me.)

• D says:

6-1 that its brilliant, even that its ‘meh’ and 4-1 that its crap. Be realistic now, a good idea does not program a good game.

5. Psychopomp says:

HOW DO I GIVE THEM ALL OF MY MONEY?

6. terry says:

Boycotting this until it has dedicated severings.

7. jsutcliffe says:

Lukewarm Media!?

What the hell did they reject before settling on that name? So-So Games? Sort Of Okay Entertainment?

8. Mark O'Brien says:

Looks very cool in predefined animations.

I wonder however if the dinosaurs will be able to move so smoothly when they’re actually being controlled by players (or an AI for that matter).

I mean, that T-Rex’s headswipe looked very cool, but it’s hard to imagine how you would let a player control something like that with a mouse and keyboard.

Maybe we found our killer app for that webcam Natal-wannabe thing!

PS. It would have been interesting to see what it would have looked like if they had decided to give the raptors feathers/plumage as they almost certainly had in real life. They had a great chance to do some original design here (colour/shape of feathers), but they chose to basically copy Jurassic Park instead. Not that I’m complaining really.

• MrMud says:

Agreed, why is it that no one other than people actually interested in science seems to have caught on that raptors were feathered?

• Tei says:

On the other part, modeling, animating and rendering feathered dinosaurs is just too hard now. Maybe worth for hollywood movies that just have to render 4 seconds and not in real-time, but on render farms.

• LionsPhil says:

Tei, what are you on about this time? If all else fails, paint feathers on as a flat texture. But, you know, I’m pretty sure we’ve all seen real-time 3D rendering of birds before. Human hair is arguably harder (not least as we tend to expect physics from it ever since the original Tomb Raider).

• Radicand says:

Also, in real life a velociraptor would have come up to about your waist. I guess they made them bigger in Jurassic Park to make them more intimidating but personally I’d find a set of befanged jaws coming at you at gonad-height infinitely more terrifying.

• rargphlam says:

Well, they do say it’s just a raptor, so it being a utahraptor is more likely.

I think the general perception is that ‘scales’ is more scary than feathers (although I’ve never been more terrified than by Bulgakov’s monstrous ostriches in the Fatal Eggs). General perception might also gawk at the the large bird lizard than the ‘coloquial’ depiction of raptors.

• el Chi says:

Utahraptor was larger than a human. No, what you have there sir is a Deinonychus, although that should be feathered too. So should Utahraptor as well, though.
      When it comes to game design Jurassic Park > fact.
      Palaeontology geek-out ends.

My main concern with this game is that dinosaurs have never really made particularly satisfying foes so whilst it could be crotch-expandingly fun to play as a Fictionoraptor, fighting them mightn’t be as great.

9. the wiseass says:

Holy RIOJASAURUS-ON-A-STICK, this looks like a fabulous idea. I hope this won’t be shit. I want to play me some left 4 raptor.

10. SF Legend says:

Today is a beautiful day to be stomping on things!

11. P7uen says:

Every page of that official website registers at least 8.3 on the Hyperbole Scale. Reads like it was written by Steve Jobs on a sugar rush.

12. TCM says:

GOTY.

I WILL BUY FIVE COPIES.

13. Captain Becardi Jagermister says:

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD WHAT A GREAT IDEA.
    WHAT AN AMAZING AWESOME IDEA. WHY HASN’T THIS BEEN DONE BEFORE?????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    Anyways, caps lock off… Seriously, my natural inclination for a game where you control dinosaurs in third person is “where do I put my money?”. That said, if it is bad (it IS an indie dev team, after all), I won’t purchase.

It’ll take a lot of short comings to make me not want to purchase this game though. WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO CAN’T WAIT!!!!!

14. pierec says:

AWESOME

15. Dworgi says:

I didn’t know how much I wanted this until I saw it.

Just YES.

16. Fenchurch says:

20 Internet points for this comment!

17. Monchberter says:

I blame / thank Left 4 Dead for putting the idea of monstrously powerful things in team based online multiplayers.

All together now

YOU WILL BECOME THE T-REX

:D

18. Monchberter says:

Actually, which company owns the Jurassic Park licence? Whoever it is, I implore you to BUY THIS MOD and lease the Cryengine 3 and make a dinosaur flavoured version of Left 4 Dead!

Failing that; VALVe! Buy this! and make Left 4 Dead vs Dinosaurs!

4 survivors, 4 special infected, 4 dinosaurs!

19. Heliosicle says:

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20090602.gif feels appropriate

looks pretty cool, maybe what I always wanted turok to be, rather than a ridiculous you vs lizard people with lasers game…

• Jesse says:

Turok N64, playing all raptors in Monkey mode…that was good gaming!

‘Monkey mode’ being a version of Juggernaut where instead of a Juggernaut, you have a monkey with low health and no weapons. If you pull the trigger as the monkey, he just goes ‘ook ook!’. He’s a little faster than most of the characters in the game, but raptors are faster. With my friends and I, this led to many situations in which the monkey player cowers behind a pillar while the raptor pack cruises around the level, taking its time, peeking (with real head-swinging animation) behind all the crates and in all the corners. Just like the kitchen scene from Jurassic Park. Developers everywhere, I implore you – listen to your sense of humor and creativity! If you come up with a funny idea at lunch and all your mates laugh about it, maybe it could go into the game. ‘Raptor vs. Monkey’ DLC could improve almost any multiplayer game. Bad Company 2, Halo, Crysis, whatever… It’s a relatively little thing, and it’s undeniably awesome.

This team has a great idea, anyway. We can’t speak for gameplay yet but clearly the animation team is talented.

20. ET says:

I’m not into competitive FPSes, but dammit this looks so much WIN. Although I remain skeptical over how any reasonably realistic person could still survive enough to scream after being chomped upon by a T-Rex.

My sympathies, of course, lie with the dinosaurs.

21. Unaco says:

Sounds like a good idea. But… asymmetric Multi Player games/mods can be kind of hit or miss. I hope this works out well… so much scope for ideas, especially with the dinosaurs. There’s lots of opportunity for a large scope of gameplay… Humans vs. 1 T-Rex, Humans have to play smart, hide, set up ambushes and traps, while T-Rex is hard as nails, fast when he gets up to speed and able to eliminate a single, isolated human (or a close together group) in many varied, bloody, and interesting ways.

Or… as has been said, a sort of L4D(inosaurs)… swarms of AI controlled, weak, small dinos, plus some ‘specials’ vs Humans.

Or… Humans vs Raptors in a Hunter/Hunted dynamic. Squad of each, Humans with high tech gadgetry and weapons, Raptors with their natural abilities… fighting it out in various environs… Jungle/buildings.

Could be a whole load of fun.

22. amishmonster says:

Ooh, some smancy-looking animations, and the gameplay framework sounds pretty promising. Hope this pans out; I’m always looking for dinosaur things.

23. Fatrat says:

This is obviously going to be compared to L4D, rightly so, aside from the obvious dinos instead of zombies. Such a game would be welcome in my collection.

I always did like old dinosaur games but there was never any really good ones… i remember Carnivores, and some other one that had weird controls for the guns and looked like you were in Jurassic Park in the game, though i dont think it was related. The guns waved around in your view or something too. I forget really.

24. treb says:

looks like a remake of a old game called Trespasser

25. Cpt. Sqweky says:

Seems like an awesome concept, but the raptor animationw as rather lacking. There just didn’t seem to be any actual weight to the fall. But if it’s still in fairly early stages of development, there should be time to fix it.

26. JonFitt says:

Open the door, get on the floor, everybody frag the dinosaur…

27. Jan-Niklas Runge says:

Awesome! I love these things!
    Hail Dinosaurius the Second, King of Eden!

28. Shadow Wulf says:

HAHAA YES! They added the Wilhelm scream! In the game awesome! XD Anyway I am digging these dinosaur kills so far, I really hope the multiplayer in this game will be good.

29. Skusey says:

Without blood I can’t help but think of elderly dinosaurs with no teeth.

30. Hogofwar says:

Hmm, it does kinda look like trespasser… but hey this is a multiplayer game so different

I hope they have a destructible map engine or something like Frostbite for the battlefield games!

That would be awesome, bombing a bridge to stop the dinos…

31. Hmm says:

I wish the team all the best – fantastic looking footage, but since the game’s multiplayer-focused, I can’t force myself to get excited for this…
    Really, can anyone create Trespasser 2 or a similar, single-player oriented survival game already?

32. Generico says:

These dinosaurs need more blaster cannons.

33. Tei says:

Yea. a player can play as a dinosaur. But the ones from the video was women or man player? This is a very important point.

Ooops. wrong thread.

34. Fumarole says:

Game of the Year.

35. Willem says:

Reminds me of Natural Selection, so in theory it could work, I guess.

And if it does, it will be crazy good. Yes.

36. Bonegnawer says:

I hope the tyrannosaurs will be able to fly f-14.

37. Nickosha says:

Best wishes to them. I read an interview of the lead designer/ brains behind the project and he seemed to have a really good idea of what he was doing and how he wanted to make original games such as this. IIRC, he dropped out of High School at 17 and worked for a casual game studio for just a few years before getting to where he is today.

I also think that he explained that the studio is far from tradition in that it isn’t located in one location; the employees live all over the country.

38. Rollermint says:

Looks like a promising game with fabulously fresh idea…

The next natural step is obviously a competitive mutliplayer FPS featuring Dinosaurs vs Zombies.

39. clive dunn says:

playing as the t-rex.
    stomping through the jungle, pick up the scent of the humans
    ha, they havn’t spotted me….
    arrrgghhh wrong weapon selected; i’ve still got it set on puny front arms.
    writhe around while the pesky humans fill me with lead… middle mouse wheel down, thats better, stompy hind legs stomp a few soldiers, middle mouse wheel down, activate big mother fucking tooth filled mouth, arrrgh scrolled too much, back to puny front arms. dead.

40. Moth Bones says:

Who’s going to want to play as a human though?

41. negativedge says:

Dear God,

Please make this game awesome. I will pray to you every night and sacrifice goats or whatever.

42. clive dunn says:

I seem to remember that dinosaurs (or at least their fossils) were put on Earth by god to test our faith.

43. MikeBiggs says:

Hah! I was about to comment on that! I even found a link to the youtube video for those who don’t know about it:

• MikeBiggs says:

Freaking useless reply function, this was in response to Shadow Wulfs comment on the Whilhelm scream in the veliciraptor video.

44. LionsPhil says:

I demand a “Clever Girl” achievement for flanking a hairless ape who is aiming at a fellow raptor.

Also, this needs serious undergrowth. And one of the classes needs to be Denis Nedry.

45. Collic says:

I think I just had a pant explosion. DINOSAURS!!!

46. Fergus says:

How else are we going to get our famous last words in?

47. Adrian says:

awesome idea! I hope they will include some animations for the big dinosaurs when they get shot.
    the game sounds fun playing as a dino but takin down a really big big dino with a rifle will be twice as fun if they have a proper damage model and such

48. Diogo Ribeiro says:

It’s like Geekologie’s wet dream or something.

49. J says:

Left 4 Dinosaur, rock-on. I would buy that in a couple of heartbeats.

50. wererogue says: