Stalinglad: Theatre of War 2 Kursk 1943 Demo

By Kieron Gillen on February 5th, 2010 at 11:11 am.

Tanky tanky!

There’s two things which RPS love. One: Tanks. Two: Demos. As such, the release of the Theatre of War 2: Kursk 1943 demo is a prompt for celebrations in the RPS shack and/or a post. You can download the whole getting on-for-700Mb demo thing here. Kursk was the largest tank battle of all time – at least, until Jim gets his Elite-with-robots game idea made by someone. Lots more details on its own site, or you can watch a teaser trailer below.

Yeah, Kursk was after Stalinglad. I know. I just needed a pun headline quickly, and a tasteless one about one of the bloodiest battles on the Eastern front was all that came to mind. Man!

, , , .

1. robrob says:

Teaser in the sense that it teases you by containing no useful information whatsoever? Teaser as in going for the handshake then pulling its hand away, planting its thumb on its nose, wiggling its fingers at you, singing “na na na na-na” and then kicking you in the shins and running away? That kind of teaser?

• cliffski says:

Teaser as in a complete waste of everyone’s time sadly. heres hoping the demo is a bit better than the video makes it seem. Tanks FTW.

2. MadMatty says:

yeah that kind of teaser… anyways looks like its gonna be a slug-out between this and Kharkov 1943 for the new 3D Close Combat thinghy… hope it will be interesting, gonna try the demo later. :)

3. BooleanBob says:

“Elite-with-tanks game idea”

My mind just got blown.

4. Drogosh says:

Damn. And I thought the link to the website was for the Elite-with-tanks idea instead of yet another WW2 game

5. Lord Bigglesworth says:

What kind of trailer is this?! There are no in-game scenes in it, how am I supposed to know how that game looks?

6. Flaringo says:

FUCK YES WORLD WAR TWO AND TANKS!

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

How mind-blowingly original, I’ve never played any such game. This may catch on.

• Lemon scented apocalypse says:

I still cant fathom why people find it neccesary to post these comments. Why is it that you never see a “Not another feckin fantasy game” scrawl. Belive it or not guys & girls: some of us actually enjoy this setting. If its not youre cup of tea go and play something else. Christ knows theres not exactly a shortage of games out there

• Flaringo says:

I hope you weren’t referring to me as well as the other guy. My comment was not meant sarcastically. I fucking love WW2 tank games after playing Men of War.

• poop says:

“Not another feckin fantasy game” scrawl? you obviously havent heard people talk about dragon age

7. tigershuffle says:

Looks interesting……..
    but really I want a nice shiny supported tank sim like what Steel Fury nearly delivered. Multiplayer with a hint of ‘realism’

nothing beats a nice 30ton lumbering piece of steel (okay lots does including logs in yr tracks)

anyhoo WW2 is far betterer than WW1 …….which had the cheek to call itself THE Great War. ;)

8. Count Sessine says:

Kursk is a damn good game, I’m going to buy it. It seems the series have really improved over the years, although the graphics engine is starting to not look so amazing. Still the tanks have a satisfying roar to them :-)

• Wilson says:

@Count Sessine: I assume the main game is better than the tutorial mission then. I was just really put off by the idea of controlling individual soldiers in a more complicated strategy game. It was something I didn’t like too much in Men of War (though that made up for it in other ways). The individual unit AI looked interesting (though I don’t know how it would hold up in a serious battle), but I just didn’t fancy the prospect of playing a proper scenario after doing the tutorial. What’s the big hook of the game meant to be? Why is it different to all the other strategy games out there?

9. WJonathan says:

I can’t wait until August 2009! Great trailer!

10. Raskolnikov says:

Elite-with-robots? Russians stole this idea back in 2004. Google A.I.M.: Artificial Intelligence Machine.

11. Fuu says:

I plan to name my first child Kursk.

12. cliffski says:

tried it, but already uninstalled. The engine looks OLD and runs sloooow. The inetrface is also a bit of a mess. I felt like I was rollerskating whenever I used the mouse.
    This competes against Men Of war and company of heroes?
    Good luck guys…

• Mad Doc MacRae says:

It was a little weird that when I used the “auto detect” for settings it recommended everything maxed (I have a fairly beefy rig) but then it ran awfully.

It also didn’t click for me, either. Oh well.

• Thants says:

I don’t think any auto detect has ever done a good job.

13. Lucas says:

I’d never heard of either of these, but GamersGate.com has A.I.M., A.I.M. 2, A.I.M. Racing, and Parkan 2.

I’m intrigued by the A.I.M. games, does anyone recommend them? It is very hard to find info or gameplay videos because of the names.

The A.I.M. series is developed by SkyRiver Studios. They are also doing a game which is some kind of Star Wars EP1 spoof. This trailer killed me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR-1mhabccc