Deus Ex 3: Only Human?

By Alec Meer on February 9th, 2010 at 11:22 pm.

Thanks to a strange person who loves to go through patent filings, the world now knows that Square-Enix (newish overlords of what once was Eidos) have very recently trademarked a new Deus Ex title. You’ll find it beneath the cut… Oh, I’m not that cruel. It’s Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

LIKE EVOLUTION BUT WITH AN R IN FRONT SO IT’S ANOTHER WORD HAHA. God, did they get Kieron to come up with that one? It’s Not, notably, Deus Ex 3: Human Revolution, but most folk are presuming it will indeed be the full title of the game hitherto assumed to be called DX3. Given it’s a prequel/relaunch, it makes a certain amount of sense to ditch the numbers. How are we about that pun, though? I’m disappointed they didn’t go for Deus Ex: Survival Of The Funkiest instead. Or, could this be a separate game – perhaps a console-specific title so we faithful might be blessed with a true-blooded PC Deus Ex party? Wishful thinking, no doubt – but it’s good to hear even the faintest murmur from this long silent behemoth-in-waiting.

“Human Revolution.” Hum. It’s both growing on me and becoming even more awkward every time I say it.

, .

1. Jason Moyer says:

Sounds like the title of a Pet Shop Boys album.

2. linfosoma says:

Seriously, if this is a rebbot why not just call it Deus Ex?
    Ubisoft did that with the Prince of Persia and many others did the same.

If they release a trailer and it says something in the lines of “The rEvolution begins in (insert date)” Im nit buying this game.

• Mil says:

Minus the weird capitalisation, there must be better than 50% chances that some terminally uninspired marketroid will come up with that exact sentence at some point.

• Oak says:

Seriously, if this is a rebbot why not just call it Deus Ex?
      Ubisoft did that with the Prince of Persia and many others did the same.

Quiet! You might be giving them ideas.

• hoff says:

Brought to you by the guys who came up with “Thi4f”.

• Carra says:

Of course. We should call this one Deus Ex. And the original one Deus Ex classic 2000.

3. Midnight says:

If they must have a sub-title, why not ‘Deus Ex: Redux’. Coz it has an x in it :-p

4. Acosta says:

I’m all for Deus Ex: Classic Exhumation.

5. Ian says:

Not “D3us 3x: T3h Pr3qu3l”?

Disappointed.

6. Ricc says:

Deer Sex. Free! Human Revulsion.

Err… Yeah, it doesn’t ring well at all.

7. Half says:

Nothing good will come of this, only tears.

8. LewieP says:

I did think it unlikely that it could have a 3 in the title.

More like Human Resources though.

9. Flameberge says:

Hmmm. This is still approximately 1342% better than “Thi4f”. When I first read that, everything went black and I woke up beneath a dank underpass wearing nothing but a toga and covered in blood. I think it might have made me angry.

10. Quinnbeast says:

Human Revolution announced. Man rolls down hill.

11. MacBeth says:

Human R3volution shurely…

• JB says:

Oh Mac, you’ve done it now. Marketing are going to love that, the gits. And we’ve only got you to blame…

12. Noc says:

Maybe that’s not the title at all, and they’re just . . . taking us for a spin.

(I’ll get my coat.)

13. Quinnbeast says:

What goes around comes around.

Taxi.

14. Krondonian says:

Revolution, with the ‘E’ as a Sigma.

*Nods knowingly*.

15. Collic says:

I’m not waiting for Deus Ex 3 with any kind of eagerness, simply because after invisible war I’m expecting it to be absolutely terrible. Theres something oddly comforting about that.

16. Helm says:

That title is making me dizzy.

17. Gabe McGrath says:

Dear PC game makers,

(a) PC titles DO NOT NEED a name longer than 3 words
    and
    (b) Sequels DO NOT REQUIRE names in the format of “ORIGINAL NAME (colon) WANKY PHRASE

That is all.

18. Shalrath says:

Invisible War was at least passable, and by the same team.

This is going to be fail of hilarious proportions. I can’t wait for things like “We removed weapon augmentation because it was boring,” and “No-one wants to just read text off random computer screens they find.”

• hoff says:

Uhm, that’s pretty much the status quo.

You should listen to their reasoning for adding regenerating health and adding 3rd person cover systems. It’s because “players don’t like to search for medkits, they want to get right into the action” and “3rd person sequences allow the player to see the new augmentations on the character’s body”. And I wish I was just sarcastically joking… that’s their actual reasoning.

• BAReFOOt says:

What I don’t get is: Riddick had both 1st person and 3rd person views, depending on the situation. And it did fit beautifully, because it had the best of both. Why not just implement that?
      Like a short 3rd person view when getting a new upgrade. And a new thingie in the HUD.
      Also climbing ladders or hanging on pipes/wires etc, and 3rd person, naturally fits.

Will they ever learn to.… learn? ;)

• Masked Dave says:

@Hoff

That’s great reasoning! I *like* to see what I’m doing to my character’s body and med kits are fucking awful design.

• Taillefer says:

Do they really have a third-person cover system?
      What always confuses me about that is third person eliminates the disadvantage of taking cover but keeps all the advantages. You shouldn’t be able to see over and around obstacles, observing all the enemy’s movement whilst being invulnerable to fire. It always seems to turn combat into a shooting gallery.

Taking cover naturally has it’s advantages and disadvantages, which would be a great thing to have. The price of not taking damage is to have less information of the enemy positions; they could move around and surprise you, that would be much more intense. But they keep messing it up and I never understand why. Unless they got it right this time, obviously.

• skyturnedred says:

What baffles me, is that I’ve played FPS games since Wolfenstein, and I’ve always known how to take cover without pressing a button to do it. And it did not require third person view.

19. Kevbo says:

I’m scared for this game….
    well I guess there’s nothing to be scared of but lets just say my expectations/hopes are as low as they get.

20. Navagon says:

This game’s going to suck anyway. So they can call it what they like.

21. Larington says:

The sense of despair & frustration here is so thick (in density, not intelligence) that you could cut it with a knife. Is this what it has come to? (Don’t answer that)

• Spacewalk says:

Didn’t you hear, we aren’t allowed to like games anymore.

• destroy.all.monsters says:

What else did you expect? A company that can’t even treat their own franchises with respect (Front Mission for example) is in charge of a sequel to a gaming classic. Without Warren or any of the other team from the original this can only be a travesty.

Think DX 3 as Kane and Lynch (on the pc) and I think that’s about what we can expect. Then add some ridiculous drm scheme to be be the bread in a particularly odorous shit sandwich.

22. Vincent Avatar says:

Deus Ex: Only Revolutions.

That… that would actually be freakin’ sweet.

23. disperse says:

Does everybody know something about this game that I don’t? They could call it “Deus Ex: Goat Sex” for all I care as long as it is good and Deus Ex-like… actually, that title has a nice ring to it.

24. Dean says:

Could it not just like, be about a revolution? Of humans against synthetics or what not?

I don’t get why it has to be a pun…

• CalmHorizons says:

That reason for the subtitle would probably require that they ruin the canon though, as DX3 is a prequel.

25. AVarotsis says:

Well, this is going to be shit.

26. Bowersocks says:

Invisible War was a great name for an okay game.. which without any doubt means DE3 is gonna be amazing because the title is a witless pun.

IN THE YEAR 2010/11, HUMANS ARE REVOLVING!

*You spin me right round baby, right round like a record baby right round, right round!* (the new one)

We see shots of health regenerating, characters hiding behind cover and some moments in third person!

DEUS EX 3: HUMAN IN THE TITLE!

From the people who said what made the source material good was too slow and boring.

27. reginald says:

I don’t see the problem. it just reminds me of the Industrial Revolution, only with human beings. Its not a pun unless your really want it to be.

28. Gary W says:

Excellent news. As we speak, an aspiring Dan Brown is putting the finishing touches on the ‘sinister’ plot involving Leonardo Da Vinci, nanobots and the golden ratio. All that’s needed is some wallclimbing and a cover system and we’ve got a surefire GOTY.

DLC: “Showdown at the Rucky Mon3y”. £20.

29. Swiftasaurus says:

Wait, Square-Enix are doing Deus Ex 3? Or if not, something Deus Ex related? I am weeping blood. I have never seen a game from that company that I liked. (By the way, I love Squaresoft). My anticipation has just crashed.

• hoff says:

It’s not even that easy (but might as well be that bad, indicators suggest a “Halo Ex 3: Gears of Modern Warfare”).

Square-Enix bought Eidos when DX3 was already in development. DX3 is in development at Eidos Montreal an entirely inexperienced (but not the ballsy kind of experimental inexperience, the boring, no-risk, market-aware kind of experienced) studio who has so far released the following games: http://www.eidosmontreal.com/en/games.html … err… none. They are however working on the official sequels to TWO of the most iconic gaming franchises of the golden generation. And their General Manager likes to give interviews in which he bashes Deus Ex for being “kinda slow” and how he wants to make the game “more accessible”. Apparently, the awfully accessible and commercial flop of DX:IW never happened.

Sigh. A Deus Ex sequel in which Warren Spector has no say (while he is working on a FRICKIN MICKEY MOUSE GAME!) just makes a PC gamer cynical…

30. Pluvinage says:

The title makes sense if we think about their plot.
    It´s going to be a game about the start of human augmentations.
    That means that we don´t need to wait for evolution to become more powerful, smart, adaptable.
    We have become more powerful tahn evolution itself, it´s now human revolution, where we decide how we are going to evolve.

• Mr.President says:

This is what I’m thinking as well.
      If conflict caused by the appearance of the first “mechs” is going to be a theme, it could be interesting, if writers do their job well.
      I’m not getting my hopes up yet, but I’m glad to hear it’s a prequel. Distant future setting of IW was kinda too “distant” for me, difficult to connect to.

• Masked Dave says:

I’m with you, it makes sense. I didn’t even realise it was supposed to be a pun.

I don’t get want all the knicker twisting is about.

31. dancingcrab says:

I mean, Thief 3 was branded Thief: Deadly Shadows. When resurrecting an older series, I guess chronological demarcation isn’t beneficial from a sales perspective.

32. geldonyetich says:

“There’s something wrong with this J.C. Denton character we bought. Tell you what, from hereon in, we’ll call him Vincent Valentine and work from there.”

33. BeamSplashX says:

Duh-Threeus Threex: Human Ruh-Threevolution

Cubed. In 3D. Based on 3rd Edition D&D ruleset (for the old-school gamers out there).

34. Frank says:

Deadly Shadows was a lame name too

35. Isometric says:

We wanted orange, They’re giving us lemon-lime…

36. bhlaab says:

Deus Ex: The Squeakquel

37. jimmy choo sale says:

Jimmy Choo living up to its name with a brilliant shade of electric blue and a clean, sleek design enhanced by an angular flap. If you enjoy carrying clutches during the day, this makes a sharp alternative to the usual oversized choices, but it’s also ideal for a night out when your outfit demands something a truly bold accessory.

• Glove says:

“clean, sleek design” – dumbed-down for consoles, obv.

• Nick says:

I certainly enjoy carrying clutches, who doesn’t? I mean, why would a bag have a handle anyway.. what possible use would that be?

• terry says:

There’s only one bold accessory around here, chummy.

38. TeeJay says:

Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
    Thou art thyself, though not a Human Revolution.
    What’s Human Revolution? it is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
    What’s in a name? that which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet;
    So JC Denton would, were he not JC Denton call’d,
    Retain that dear perfection which he owes
    Without that title. JC Denton, doff thy name,
    And for that name which is no part of thee
    Take all myself.

39. destroy.all.monsters says:

They spelled Revulsion wrong.

40. Gabbo says:

I think the subtitle is stupid, no doubt, but it won’t ruin the game for me. The game being shit would do that. And it seems (regardless of subtitle) to be heading that way.

41. Petethegoat says:

I love you.

42. Pishtaco says:

“Human Revolution” is a less silly name than “Deus Ex”.

43. The Sombrero Kid says:

name aside, eidos will flog this horse until it’s a skelington and we’ll all hope and then cry and then hope and then cry like sonic, god rest his soul.

44. Plagiarism says:

How about stealing from Ghost in the Shell?

Deus Ex: Man-Machine Interface

To me there were similar themes running through both.

• destroy.all.monsters says:

If Production I.G. were involved in this I think most people would consider looking at this in a favorable light. An in depth game with a solid plot featuring the Major would also do well on the PC imo.

• Dominic White says:

Given that the GITS TV series was basically Neuromancer: The Cop Show, I’d be 110% in favour of a Deus Ex style adaptation of it to videogame format. Sadly, all the attempts so far have been straight shooters, which is completely missing the point.

• Springy says:

“Deus Ex: Man-Machine Interface”

WE ARE DAS ROBOTS

*dance*

45. TheApologist says:

I guess I am no longer ‘people who play games’.

Oh well.

• TheApologist says:

Sorry – that was in reply to Shalrath and hoff above.

46. Masked Dave says:

*ahem*

WAIT AND SEE!

47. Dominic White says:

The amount of Chicken Little paranoia that just a potential title has inspired here is amazing. Don’t get me wrong – I love Deus Ex. I recently reinstalled it to play The Nameless Mod, and I’m digging around the other good fan-made projects now. It really isn’t perfect, the sequel wasn’t the worst thing ever made, and Warren Spector may not actually be a deity.

It’s reality check time.

48. Shadram says:

Day o’ Sex: Human Reproduction

49. golden_worm says:

Deus nExt: Newname Resolution

Deus VEx: Machina Evolva

Deus HEx: Humane Execution

Dexy’s Midnight Runners

There, that’s the next 4 titles sorted. Now please make sure the games live up to the three minutes of thought I put into those titles.

Deus Ex: Would a game by any other name play so sweet?

• destroy.all.monsters says:

If “Come on Eileen” means cyborg bukkake they just might have a hit on their hands.