At the Mounting Anticipation Of Madness…

By Kieron Gillen on February 23rd, 2010 at 10:36 am.

This would be a bad time to tell you about my hay-fever, yes?

Hurrah! More of the critically acclaimed (by us) Radiator in the near future. Robert Yang sends news of its third part to debut in either March or April. One of the two, unless it doesn’t. What’s it about? Well, it’s called Much Madness and Robert describes it as: “You’re trying to escape a sinking submarine after stabbing your husband in the back repeatedly — to make matters worse, Emily Dickinson’s ghost keeps reciting those blasted poems of hers… Maybe drowning to death isn’t so bad?”. Bloody Emily Dickinson, that’s what I say. The trailer follows, but you can download the previous episodes over at Radiator’s site

We especially like the use of our quotes. Hint-hint, devs.

, , , .

AndrewC says:

‘trascendantly beautiful’ – hardgoredeathfuck.com

2. Captain Bland says:

Hurray! I love Radiator. Also did you guys know that (friends of the Radiator project) Blendo Games have a new game in development? Its called Flotilla and there is a trailer here: http://www.blendogames.com/flotilla/.

• Rich says:

Honestly, coming in here, plying your wares!
      Worse than spam bots you are.

• Captain Bland says:

Oh! Serves me right for not paying the RPS feed the attention it deserves. @ Rich I’m a fanboy, not a representative of either party.

• Kieron Gillen says:

Bland: I think that as a joke aimed at me, btw.

KG

• Rich says:

If I’m honest, it was aimed at Bland.
      I misread Captain Bland as Captain Blend and mentally linked him with Blendo Games.

Time to stop making a tit of myself and go get a cup of tea.

• Heliocentric says:

If anyone from blendo is here i would like to play your game, even in beta. I am willing to pre order to achieve this.

• l1ddl3monkey says:

@Rich: If you make me one too you can have a couple of these biscuits.

3. DMcCool says:

I don’t know why I didn’t pay this attention the first (and second?) time(s?) it was on RPS. Half way through the video I had to pause it and order Steam to start downloading Episode 2 to my laptop. 2 MB a second don’t you know?

Excited.

Sagan says:

It’s a little sad, that the screenshot at the top of this post could never have come out of a commercial game. No fighting, no explosions; nobody would publish that.

That being said, I just saw on his website that he is looking for a job in the games industry starting in May, and I hope somebody like Obsidian hires the guy and then they make something amazing.

5. Casimir's Blake says:

Always worth a Lovecraft reference…

6. Salt says:

When I first saw the screenshot, I thought it was from The Sims 3. So maybe one such game [franchise] would be published without explosions.

7. negativedge says:

Handle With Care is one of the few good “art games” ever made. it doesn’t seem to think that banality and poor design are par for the course, and we all benefit from such a bold idea.

(I’ll add Today I Die, the La La Land games, and Braid, to the extent that it qualifies)

8. Web Cole says:

I’m just a little bit proud to say I got the music well before it came up. And I barely know who the Pixies are. Yay me!

• Kommissar Nicko says:

I get the sense that you’ve seen Fight Club.

• Web Cole says:

Indeed. Why, is that song in it?

I’m not saying it’s an amazing achievement, I just don’t normally do well at recognizing piano instrumental versions of songs.

• Alexander says:

And then its me who couldn’t figure it out until credits rolled but listened the where is my mind cover at the end of Fight Club to death; boohoo clusterfuck.

• l1ddl3monkey says:

Music by Maxence Cyrin. He’s a bit of a one trick pony (in that his whole career is based on doing piano versions of songs that really shouldn’t work on a piano) but personally they really work on those certain sunday afternoons that follow very long saturday nights.

• disperse says:

With my feet in the air and my head on the ground…

9. Kommissar Nicko says:

You know, I’ll have to give this a go. I was reading through my Steam games list, and realized that I’m pretty low on Vitamin Arthouse Pretension. This looks poised to be my Total cereal for pretentiousness.

10. poop says:

for some reason the radiator games are the only art games I can tollerate, maybe its because they have actual gameplay?

11. Bhazor says:

In 95.5% of same sex couples the relationship ends with one being stabbed to death in a submarine.

This is why same sex marriage is wrong. They also disrupt radar.

12. Qjuad says:

@Bhazor

Don’t forget sharks – and generally just mucking about.

Vandelay says:

What a pleasant trailer. Which is something I so rarely get to say about game trailers, as they are usually just NOISE!!! and quick cuts.

Will definitely playing episode 3. The previous ones were always interesting, if not perfect all the time. Hopefully, this one won’t rely so heavily on the fiddly physics engine used by Half Life 2.

14. Hmm-Hmm. says:

The music makes me want to play Silent Conversation. I like that flash game.

15. Mulayim says:

As bland as a below-average indie movie.

16. Thirith says:

I love the self-mockery in this one. More indie arthouse fare could do with a sense of levity, especially with respect to its own importance. Nothing is less deep than that which needs to go around shouting, “Look at me! I’m deep!”

17. PixelCody says:

Before I read the article that picture led me to believe that someone had created a machinima involving Kieron and Alec in a field of yellow flowers.

18. Gabe says:

Beautiful version of Where is my mind? by Pixies.

19. dragon_hunter21 says:

Just curious, but wasn’t this supposed to drop sometime around August?

• Robert Yang says:

… Yeah, and then I re-designed everything. The submarine’s been re-designed at least 4-5 times now.

• dragon_hunter21 says:

Oh, hey, cool, Word of God.

Just curious. Loved the first two episodes, couldn’t wait for the third. *fingers crossed*

20. Alexander Norris says:

That was a very nicely-put-together trailer. I’m still occasionally impressed by how emotive the Source engine character models can look, but then I remember that they usually look like they’re robots made of rubber once you get ingame.

21. Internet guy says:

Radiator 1-2 (Handle With Care) is, quite frankly, shit. I don’t care if it’s an “art game”, it has some of the worst gameplay I’ve ever experienced. Stacking boxes? Seriously?

I get the feeling that everyone gushing over it wouldn’t know a good game if it hit them in the face with a brick.

• MD says:

How many ‘good’ games actually hit the player in the face with a brick? That really doesn’t sound like the mark of a quality title.

22. StarDrowned says:

Is that a Lovecraft-referencing title?

23. salty-horse says:

Emily Dickinson? Is this a spiritual sequel to “The Room”?