Avarice Age: Greed Corp

By Kieron Gillen on February 24th, 2010 at 4:09 pm.

One of RPS’ most common mailbox motifs are PSN/XBox Arcade developers mailing us asking for coverage. As it was today, when W!Games noted that it comes out today on the Microsoft Console Toy and tomorrow on the Sony Console Toy. And we politely say WE ARE A PC GAMING SITE!!!!! and stomp our feet and cry, before noting that they should hit us up when it hits the PC. Except W!Games’ Greed Corp is currently being brought across, and should be out in April. And, watching videos, I quite like its turn-based hex-destroying cute-strategy game jib. So I’m going to post the video. As a preview. Yes, as a preview.

This is a preview.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. LionsPhil says:

Rock Paper Shotgun has officially now jumped the shark.

*runs like buggery*

• Alex says:

I love you wacky funny talkers. Don’t you ever quit. This game looks great.

2. Lemon scented apocalypse says:

*sullen silence*

3. Heliocentric says:

Its no worse than an edge preview. Its actually better, you didn’t once say “great potential”.

4. DMJ says:

Hexes? Turn-based? Cute robots? Me likey.

5. James G says:

I recognise a disturbing number of those sound effects. Then again, I suppose there are only so many ways a cash register can sound, so possibly it isn’t the same, so much as just similar.

• Wulf says:

I actually would be inclined to believe it is the same, you should trust your ears. The reason I say this is because there are ‘sound effect discs’ out there, sold by audio content creation companies, these are bought up and used in various games. The very distinct sounds become very memorable over time.

The best example of this was the creaking wooden door opening in Daggerfall, that was off such a disc, and that sound popped up in Daikatana, and loads of other games since. Every single time I hear it it throws me for a loop, because I get Daggerfall flashbacks. And many times, in regards to many games in the past I’ve seen people say that hey, such and such a sound was ripped off from some game or other. Though that’s unlikely, the most likely truth is just that they use the same sound effects discs because they didn’t have enough money to put together their own sound effects studio, so they buy these discs to have sounds to put into their games.

And with games for the mainstream consoles, there are huge expectations of professionalism. And what does “professionalism” mean? It must look and/or sound like quality things they’ve encountered in the past, which is probably why there’s so little innovation in the mainstream, but I digress. The console audience wouldn’t have been happy with some really clever uses of Sfxr, like I would, and very likely you would, so they buy these discs.

So if you ever hear a sound effect in a big name game in the future, and think that you might have heard it before… well, there’s every chance you actually did!

• Sucram says:

In some guy’s house the KA-CHING sound can be heard every time somebody licences one of his sound effects.

• Echo says:

I swear I’ve heard the door-opening sound from the first X-Com game in radio commercials. Ditto with door sounds from Doom that I’ve heard all over the place.

• Rane2k says:

Yeah, the DooM door sounds are everywhere. :-)

It´s also sometimes very strange when you notice these sounds in a movie/series for the first time. Recently I watched Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and in once scene Sarah was cleaning/preparing a gun, and when she put it back together they added a sound I recognized from Quake 2 (the weapon pickup sound, some kind of “chack-chack”), which they obviously added after filming the scene, probably because the live sound didn´t sound real enough. ;-)

Also, the Greed Corp. video looked interesting, too bad I read about it not being on PC after watching it.

6. PixelCody says:

This has been on Tom Chick’s radar over at the Three Moves Ahead podcast/Fidget for a while so hopefully there’ll be some worthwhile discussion on the game in the near future. Glad it’s coming out for the PC as the idea of resource/map control/destruction sounds pretty cool.

7. Flimgoblin says:

looks quite nice, like how mining = destroying your own holdings…

8. Jahkaivah says:

You guys actually get console devlopers asking for coverage? The nerve of them!

9. Ginger Yellow says:

It’s out on XBLA today. Has anyone played it yet? I haven’t been able to find any reviews (XBLA reviews always seem to take a week or more to appear).

10. jackflash says:

Looks like fun, actually.

11. rocketman71 says:

Reminds me of the travesty that Catan wasn’t ported to PC from XBLA.

Or Bomberman Live, for that matter. Aren’t games made with XNA easy to port?. Damned Microsoft.

• cheeba says:

@rocketman: another two are the new card-based Panzer General and the excellent mini-magic Duels of the Planeswalkers, both of which would fit very nicely on PC. I know there’s magic online, but that’s a whole different level of wallet-rapage.

This looks potentially ace, I’ll have to go grab the trial tonight.

• Warth0g says:

crikey I actually badly want all four of those games. Might have to by an Xbox then, which is the point I guess…

• Wulf says:

I think it’s a shame that they don’t port to the PC, too. There’s a lot to gain from having an indie game on a Pc, such as word of mouth and community. The PC is all about community, after all, and there are a lot of people out there who will speak highly of an indie dev who’ll give them a good game at a respectable price.

This kind of thing doesn’t happen on the XBOX though, and I speak from experience, and the same is true with PSN, really. There’s just not as much appreciation because to to the average console user, another game is just another game, it doesn’t matter who made it or why. Such questions rarely seem to come to the mind of the average console spods that I’ve encountered.

So yes, with a PC version there’d be a lot more talking about it, and talking is the best form of marketing there is, especially for an indie dev that can’t afford a multi-million advertising campaign. That’s why I find it baffling I suppose that some of these games remain on the XBOX, given the ease of porting from XNA.

They could become a valued indie name, here. Oh well, c’est la vie, I try to avoid the consoles as much as possible, they’re just not my thing. But at least one developer (this one!) has seen sense.

12. Namos says:

Settlers of Bang-Bang.

What about a tabletop port?

13. Ginger Yellow says:

There are dozens of PC versions of Catan (legit and not) available. The Panzer General game (not to be confused with the actual bored game), however is XBLA exclusive and extremely fun.

14. SpinalJack says:

Looks like my kind of game

15. Half says:

This is like gunbound meets heroes of might and magic

HOLY SHIT YUS

jesus is that you?

16. Crush says:

Interesting, reminds me of Megalomania for those that can recall the old Amiga strategy game.

17. MadTinkerer says:

“So I’m going to post the video. As a preview. Yes, as a preview.”

Nothing wrong with this. Braid was released on the XBox 360 and then it only took seven billion years before it was finally released on Steam about a year later.

Since these folks are going to be releasing their game on the PC in only a couple months, I say go ahead and cover them.