In Blackest Night: Secret Bioshock 2 Nerdery

By Alec Meer on February 24th, 2010 at 10:03 am.

Random morning silliness – the Bioshocks have always been good for easter egg hunting, but this one adds a little LARPING to the ongoing tale of Rapture’s fall. Own the special edition of the game? If so, you may have elected to display the three rather pleasant and tasteful art-deco posters it contains. Woe betide you if anyone ever enters your house with a blacklight…

Turns out the posters are adorned with secret messages which entertainingly undermine the posters’ breezy optimism, as one surprised fan found out. Here’s some video footage:

Photos here, if you like.

Reminds me of Kieron’s and my aborted plan for a Bioshock New Year’s Eve party a few years ago. At midnight, the lights drop, everyone dons splicer masks, a guy in a Big Daddy suit storms in and the period music is replaced by explosion sound effects. These posters and a blacklight would have been the delectably apocalyptic cherry on top.

__________________

« | »

1. Baboonanza says:

It’s nice to see someone putting some thought into the extras for once. Very cool.

2. terry says:

Wasn’t there some trick with the wetting (er) the CE t-shit for a message as well?

• diebroken says:

I also heard that rumor, but it apparently only works if a girl is wearing the T-shirt!

*Bing! * Don’t worry I didn’t take my coat off, and I know where the door is!

3. Kirrus says:

Your video players break my browser :(

Firefox 3.5.8 on Ubuntu (Karmic Koala)

• ascagnel says:

Its the Flash that does it.

I live in the US, and installed Silverlight on my Macbook to watch the Olympics, and I never thought I’d say it, but:

Microsoft makes the superior product.

Win7 is nice, but lags behind OSX and Linux; Office 10 is great, but lacks the collaborative tools and simplicity of Google Docs; the Xbox is meh compared to my PC; the Zune is a distant 2nd to the iPod; the Windows Phone 7 Series isn’t even out yet but is still doomed to fail with a name like that. Yet with all this, Silverlight doesn’t use 150% of my dual-core setup to show a standard-def video.

• Devenger says:

Chrome user here. I conclude that photobucket’s player is just exceedingly poor, since I have no problem with many other players like vimeo and YouTube. No good using other sites than the main ones if they actually aren’t nearly as good…

4. MadTinkerer says:

I have just one question: does anyone know if the Special Edition comes with a code that can be registered on Steam? I’ll definitely be picking it up if it does.

• toni says:

the list you link to is bogus. I could register Machinarium/World of Goo retail keys through steam although they are not on this website. Most of the time it was because they were preorders and when the devs announce they are going to use steam as well they make this possible for those preorders. But yeah, no registering. I would have liked to be able to use it on steam too so I don’t have to hunt for no-cd cracks every time they update this buggy game.

• qrter says:

The list isn’t bogus – the serials of games on that list always can be registered on Steam, the list just doesn’t note special pre-order offers.

5. GT3000 says:

The videos are backwards. Second one is the first in the two and the first shows the second part.

6. Doeke says:

The video players make both firefox and the tab in google chrome crash under ubuntu for me too.

7. Drexer says:

In brightest day
    No evil shall escape my sight
    Let those who worship evil’s might
    Beware my power
    Green Lantern’s Light!

What? Alec started it.

Very nice that small detail on the posters.

Oh, and I would so go to that party.

8. James G says:

This reminds me of my confusion when first playing Sam and Max. I didn’t know what a blacklight was, having previously only known them by the term UV lights. I just assumed it was some surrealist nonsense of a bulb being painted black, thus making it useless.

(On a similar vein, I was confused by the ‘fake barf’ in DOTT. Had never heard the term before.)

• qrter says:

Really? You never heard of “barf” or “barfing” before?

• James G says:

Nope. Heard it plenty since then, but this was almost fifteen years ago (!!Bloody hell!!) and I was 11 at the time. I hadn’t had any access to the internet at that point, and seemingly hadn’t picked up the term through the the US media. I’m not sure if it was in common usage in some bits of the UK then, but it hadn’t found its way to rural Wiltshire. I know a friend who had the same problem at that point.

• diebroken says:

I had a friend who had the same problem with S&M: Hit the Road around the same time ~15 years ago now (wow, getting old), about needing to get the ‘Rasp’… :-|

9. Miles of the Machination says:

That is a marvellous touch to the special edition, I just want to know how the guy worked it out.

10. S.Moss says:

Has any one downloaded the widescreen update. it was ment to be out a couple of days ago. Am I missing something or is it yet to surface.

11. egg says:

This is so cool. And I never cared much about these extra content thingies.

12. Malagate says:

Ohh nice, I love stuff like this! It used to be all the rage back in the days when DRM meant a specific picture on the box art or a boxed map or letter that had a passcode on it. Star Tropics was great for that, what with the box including a letter that had to be submerged in water to get the passcode.

Now I’m tempted to find my UV torch and check everything, especially the Penumbra collectors edition box. Penumbra: Overture has a great bit involving a black light, it’d be neat if they thought about that and the box cover too…

13. Edgar the Peaceful says:

I’m stuck a couple of hours into Bioshock 1. I love its intelligence, its aesthetic, and its ambition to broach philosphical issues and such.

But I bloody hate its combat and getting my arse kicked. I guess I’ve answered my own question but should I look for some kind of God mode to just extract the story juices and leave the ‘game’ behind?

14. oceanclub says:

“But I bloody hate its combat and getting my arse kicked.”
    First time I played Bioshock 1, I found I was getting overwhelmed until I tried being more stealthy rather than ramboing it. And hack as much stuff as possibly – having turrets, flying turrets and cameras on your side helps a lot.
    Oh and research research research.
    P.

• AndrewC says:

And the infino-respawns of the vita chambers is sort of a God mode anyway – you can grind your way through ANY fight. And learn the plasmid/weapon combos (like the very first lightning/wrench one), coz they really, really work. Getting a combo working makes the game fun again. Well, ‘fun’ is relative for a game like this, but ‘not annoying’.

But I can’t imagine grinding through the whole game just to get the story, it sounds like a dedication too far and, anyway – that’s what Wikipedia is for.

15. EvAde says:

The faucet in Maniac Mansion threw me…

• EvAde says:

Hmm guess I can’t reply to a particular comment if I’m not registered? >_>

• EvAde says:

Except that worked… wtf comment system?

Mod guy, feel free to delete these fail comments if you want :)

16. Hybrid says:

Nice, this stuff is always cool.