DICE: Not A Bad Company

By John Walker on February 25th, 2010 at 8:44 am.

This looks just like the entrance to Lulworth Cove. Except with soldiers.

I think it might be a sign of the utter beating the PC gamer has been taking over the last couple of years what a relief the Battlefield Bad Company 2 PC trailer proves to be. I want to hug DICE’s leg and never let it go. The PC version of the game (and let’s remember, a sequel to a game that never even had a PC version) appears to have been optimised for us in a thousand ways. From the obvious (and yet so rare) reworking of the UI to properly support the mouse, to the significant superiority of the graphics, the PC version is looking like the definitive port. There’s multiple monitor support, retuned weapons to support twitch combat, DX11 support with remarkable lighting and shadows, and perhaps most of all, 32 player battles over the Xbox’s 24. On the dedicated servers. Accessed via the PC-specific server browsers.

You can read lots more about the game in Phil’s very positive impressions of the beta. The full game is only a few days away, released in the US on the 2nd and the UK on the 4th March. And as a quick note to everyone else in the universe: this is how you port to PC.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Anon says:

It would be nice if they would allow unofficial dedicated servers though.

2. Inanimotioon says:

i love this game!
    the open beta is one map and limited weapons and i’ve probably clocked 40 hours on it. It’s everything I loved about BF2, plus destructible terrain (which makes everything better).

• Sweedums says:

yeh ill second that, iv played way more of the beta than i imagined i would, i just find it a damn good laugh… it might finally be the battlefield game to take me away from BF2 (not project reality though!… oh man, if the PR team made a PR mod for bad company 2… i think i would DIE)

my one worry about the game is that the multiplayer maps look a little small, and while i understand why (they were made for 24 players on consoles)… i just hope that eventually, they perhaps release some dlc with new maps that are larger for the PC version.. but hey, everything else seems top notch so far!

3. MultiVaC says:

At first I thought “Wow, DICE is awesome!” and was happy about this video, but then I realized what a sorry state things are in when a GUI designed for mouse use is a selling point for a PC game. It feels like reading an ad for a car that triumphantly says “Includes Steering Wheel!”. It’s still a good job by DICE though, the game looks great.

• Kadayi says:

I think you missed the bit about 32 player support Vs 24 for consoles.

Also given the bad history console ports have, the developers taking the time to explain how they’ve taken something that was designed for a controller and redesigned it for M&K is no bad thing.

• datoo says:

I really don’t care about the 32 player thing. I love PC gaming but I actually prefer smaller game sizes. It’s more intimate that way.

4. Flaringo says:

it’s pretty bad when things like this is considered a luxury…

• tapanister says:

Yes, why? Did you actually doubt that things were going from shit to zombie diarhea for us over the past few years?

5. sigma83 says:

I remember commenting on the Mass Effect PC port back in, what, 2008? 2007? and saying the exact same thing Multivac is saying. What a sorry sad state of saffairs we’re in if stuff like this is considered ‘exceptional’ rather than ‘baseline standard.’

6. destx says:

Shit, I hadn’t really planned to play this, but I might just have to buy it since they’ve actually put some effort into the PC port.

7. Brumisator says:

This is strange considering the Beta feels like a console game through and through, with broken mouse acceleration, limited FOV, stuff like that.

Lookin’ good!

8. megaman says:

Every time there’s news about BC2 I get tempted again. But I already have so many games to play! And still, my BF2 scars itch real bad …

9. Morte says:

I for one am very happy ‘sorry state of affairs’ or not. I don’t care. I’m in a minority of one in this household when it comes to PC gaming; consoles is where it’s at for my tribe, and the market is reflecting that. So I’m grateful for anything.

So anyway

*quietly drops the supcom2 pre-order and replaces with Bad Company 2*

10. Skurmedel says:

I’m on the beta and while I’m mostly enthusiastic about it there are some things that I would like fixed. First, you can’t see your latency or FPS anywhere which is a rather obvious oversight. Another strange thing is that DICEs horribly crap server browser stuff is back from the dead (Battlefield 2) or something. And I think it’s running a bit worse than it should on my computer, but SupCom did in the beta as well and it got much better on release.

11. Magic H8 Ball says:

Anonymous Coward said:

This.
    Though I fail to see why they made a Battlefield with no Titan mode. Going backwards, I say. Backwards.

Any word on a demo?

• Flameberge says:

@ Magic H8 Ball
      Yep. The demo’s already out. It’s called the “Battlefield Bad Company 2 Multiplayer beta”. Which is not a beta at all. Anyone who played it with more and one and a half braincells to rub together is well aware that it is a demo. Especially when viewed in light that on xbox live marketplace, the “Battlefield Bad Company 2 Multiplayer Demo” has the exact same content as our so-called “beta”.

• Heliosicle says:

actually, the demo on consoles only allows you to unlock 1 thing per class, and you can only go up to level 2.

• DMJ says:

I want Titan too. I don’t care that Titan mode wouldn’t fit in with the time period. If they can’t have flying Fotresses of Doom can’t they have aircraft carriers pootling around an island or something? Or maybe static bases which need to be assaulted. But the lack of Titan mode hurts, even if it isn’t a dealbreaker.

12. Lobotomist says:

Judging from my time in closed beta BFBC2 will be a new cornerstone in FPS gaming.

Its without doubt best BF game (and that is saying much) and it simply blows out the water anything else including MW2/MW1 , even CSS.

Its the new PC classic emerging !

13. eot says:

Optimized for PC? How?

Yes, it has a server browser but it is truly horrid and broken in too many ways to list here. The performance in the beta, as of a week or two ago, was really really bad for a lot of people, irrespective of settings. The hit detection is abyssmal! Oftentimes people manage to knife you because the shots don’t register when they’re running up in your face.

14. eot says:

“edit”
    Looking at the video it seems like they’ve at least added sorting and a FoV slider. I know everyone and their mom was bitching about the FoV so it’s nice that they took that to heart.

15. Zealot says:

I hope its also balanced for PC, if you catch my drift

16. Spacegirl says:

I believe the beta is an earlier version of the PC Port, essentially. I remember reading that you WILL be able set your FOV in the retail, for one thing.

I think I’m probably gonna get this game (providing good reviews). I could use a big new awesome PC FPS, basically been stuck on the (Still fun) TF2 since it came out.

17. Nimic says:

I’ll be buying this, then.

I’m not really against pirating a game here and there, but when someone puts an effort into the PC port, I feel they should be rewarded. Yes, this should perhaps be the minimum standard as opposed to a pleasant surprise, but fact is that that’s not how things are right now. So I’ll take what I can get.

18. sigma83 says:

I would blame society at this point, but I will instead blame *spins wheel* large brown dogs.

Fucking dogs.

19. DXN says:

@MultiVaC: Seconded. But hell, I’ll take what I can get these days — and I’ve heard nothing but good things about BC2. Reckon I’ll be buying it!

20. Heliocentric says:

I’m not quite as insistent as with total war games but i love battlefield mod support, any word on that?

• subversus says:

no mod support

HermitUK says:

They’ve basically said it’s highly unlikely – They’re more interested in getting the tools to a usable state in time for BF3’s release, instead of making them compatible with BC2. Which sort of makes sense to me – BF3’s supposed to have been quietly in development for about three years now, so I’m guessing they’ll start the process of revealing and hyping it in the not too distant future.

21. x25killa says:

Dice, I just want to say…. Thank you. Thank you for treating us PC Gamers with dignity and respect. It seems you cared about the PC support instead of making a rubbish and for that, I love you.

22. rocketman71 says:

Still no LAN, and you have to pay to rent dedicated servers, you can’t make your own.

Better than IW’s shitty IWNet?. Yes. Caring for PC gamers?. Not that much.

23. Dominic White says:

More players + more accurate, faster-responding weapons = Meatgrinder headclickfest 3000.

Lovely.

This is why I actually turned to the 360 for Modern Warfare 1’s multiplayer, because on the PC, you die waaaay too quickly. At least on the 360, you sometimes have a chance to return fire.

• Koozer says:

Weapons are less accurate than in Modern Warfare, that is to say you can’t just full auto at someone from 10 metres away and expect to kill them.

• Thants says:

Join a server with a lower max player count. Problem solved.

HermitUK says:

FoV will now be customisable (within certain limits) now, for instance. And in the new PC features trailer, the Sniper Scopes no longer have the odd purple haze they did in beta. It’s good to see the feedback from the beta has gone into improving the final product. Roll on March

25. Koozer says:

Er, it is a beta. Or least it used to be. It’s had a couple of hefty performance patches since it was released, and they’re considering testing a blanket 25% damage increase on weapons. They’ve also said the beta is an old build, and things like sorting the server list and FoV are all in the full game.

26. Hunam says:

The weapons are all console chunky in both presentation and aim, it looks great, but it feels like a console shooter by design. By that I mean it’s just not precise enough, the weapon spread is massive in that broad strokes style that works on consoles because of the aim assistance and use of stick but when using a mouse just feels trying to make a ship in a bottle with a pair of spoons rather than tweasers.

• Koozer says:

But MW2 has stupidly accurate guns and that WAS designed for consoles. I like the inaccuracy in BC2, I actually need to aim now and not go full auto on everyone.

• Thants says:

He does say in the video that they tweaked the guns so our twitch skills won’t go to waste. I don’t know if that applied to the beta though.

Schaulustiger says:

I thoroughly enjoyed the beta and with every day I’m more looking forward to the release. My experiences so far are absolutely positive: it runs great (at least for me), looks great, has a nice “epic battle” feel to it and provided tons of memorable moments on just this one map.

Most complaints I heard were from people expecting Battlefield 3 (which it is not) or something CS-like (which it is also not). And the last thing I’d say is that it looks and plays like a console shooter. I mean, it is arcade-y but should be one of the better PC ports after they fix some of the beta annoyances. Give me a higher FoV, a better server browser and some minor hitboy detection fixes and I’m happy.

Oh, one thing: it will probably not really be suited for competitive play. I took part in a beta cup with some fellow friends and have to say that at least the Rush mode is a horrible thing to play competitively.

28. SirWhat says:

to those who think that weapons are too inaccurate or too accurate – this game is not about weapons accuracy. if i wanted that i would go play some mw or smth. this game is about neverending action.

bf2 was never about accuracy too. most accurate was g36e and it was never used in clanwars because cws never use unlockable weapons.

29. Dan (WR) says:

I must spend some more time with the Beta. It seemed like fun, but my old man brain struggled with two sides dressed in white running around against a white background. TF2 has spoiled me.

I never played Battlefield 2 but one of the things I remember liking about BF1942 and its open maps was that you could single-handedly make big contributions to your side with a bit of smart play. Based on the Beta, I worry that BFBC2 will have smaller maps that funnel the play.

30. Lars BR says:

How would multi-monitor support work?

31. destroy.all.monsters says:

Given y’alls penchant for inserting music references I’d expected a Paul Rodgers crack.

Game wise I just hope it doesn’t blow.

32. Jayt says:

I feel like an ass, but I’m still not happy with the dedicated server situation. Us PC gamers are a hard bunch to please it seems

• Wulf says:

Mmmh… I don’t think that’s so much true, but more that PC gamers, and computer users in general, are more used to being in control. Open source is just an extension for this, for example. The attitudes differ between computer and console owners due to the environment.

PC owner: I own the product, I can configure the product and make it mine, I should be able to do so.
      Case in point for PC owners: Any OS.
      Console owner: I can’t really change shit without custom firmware and I’m just fine with that, I only play games on that brick anyway, what of it?
      Case in point for console gamers: Any console.

The only console to really change that was the PS3, as the PS3 had Linux support, but there were a few problems, there:

– I couldn’t access the PS3’s hardware through Linux, so it was impossible to even watch HD movies.
      – Almost every damn official firmware patch seemed to break my Linux partition, badly.

So the PS3 made a bit of an effort, but objectively it’s just as restrictive as every other console out there, and as a PC user I find those restrictions somewhat smothering, and this is why I’m not a huge fan of console gaming myself.

The desire for dedicated servers? Quoth my own post: “I own the product, I can configure the product and make it mine, I should be able to do so.” The thing with dedicated servers is that we’re used to that, we’ve bought products in the past, and we’ve been able to set up dedicated servers and make them ours, configuring them how we like, running whatever mods we desire, and knowing that utlimately we are the lord of our own realm, our computer.

We also like knowing that there are servers out there which are run by people who work from the same ethos, therefore whenever we hop into a dedicated server there’s every chance that we might be in for a particularly interesting game, due to something a bit unexpected, or we could have the option to join official dedicated servers and get the exact game we’re used to.

So ultimately it’s a matter of control and choice, if there are only official servers to choose from and no dedicated servers which the player can run, then the player cannot own and make the server theirs, and the player further knows that there are no dedicated servers out there. So the chance of hopping into a game that’s slightly out of the ordinary and fun is 0%, the only online option is exactly what you’re used to.

This is why Valve are still my heroes of this sort of thing.

Every Valve game:

– Can be modded? Yes.
      – Has really fun mods? Yes.
      – Can be owned and configured to one’s liking? Yes.
      – Has dedicated servers that players can run privately? Yes.
      – Feels like something that we own and can make our own? Yes.

Given console leftovers, what developers are failing to understand is this. If they make all assets of the game modifiable then PC gamers will turn a console port into a PC game in no time, allow for dedicated servers beyond that and everyone’s happy, because it subscribes to the computer ethos.

Console gamers don’t really get much choice, and they’re used to that. PC gamers get all the choice in the world, and being as restricted as console users feels suffocating. I’d say it’s not that we’re difficult to please, but more that the cultures of gaming are different.

To wrap up though, I really hope they do do well with Bad Company, and even I may consider buying this one despite it not being my sort of game. That way, they may make an even stronger effort with the third iteration, because if with that we can have mods and our own dedicated servers, then they’ll have given us everything we’d want to be happy as PC gamers.

Closing thoughts: I wonder how long it’ll be before someone starts up a server emulator project, designed to emulate the servers being sold by DICE? That could provide for the dedicated server aspect, at least. If nothing else, PC gamers can be a resourceful lot.

33. vader says:

Keep in mind that the beta just has one map and one game mode. If my brain functions correctly I seem to remember reading that Conquest mode will be available in the final game. On much larger maps.

• vader says:

…and that was of course meant as a reply to Dan (WR)

• Web Cole says:

Don’t understand all these problems people have with the reply system.

Never happened to me.

KG

34. Magic H8 Ball says:

Kadayi said:
    I think you missed the bit about 32 player support Vs 24 for consoles.

Wait what? 32 players?

So, no Titan mode and half the players.

Backwardsss

• Nick says:

The maps are much smaller and more focused as well, its not really a battlefield game, its a bad company game.. by which I mean its the sequel to a console game not to BF2/2142 et al. It shares enough similarities in gameplay to be (in my opinion) great fun, but it is not quite the same experience as the other games, more like looking at them from a different angle.

Titan mode wasn’t that great anyway, it was just infested with gun spammers till the shields were down, then mine/grenade spammers.

35. wqrjgcv says:

John, it’s sad but I agree with your statement on “the state of the PC” in respect to a PROPER PC port being hailed as a masterpiece! We’re moving to a more consolized game experience, with developers taking a liking to the couch rather than the comfy office chair, as well as to get a better bottom line. Latest victim: Supreme Commander (what an underwhelming demo). Makes me /:

Also, I second the motion to grab DICE’s leg and hug it <3. I think I'd like to send them an appreciation letter for making the games that I regularly enjoy the most (BF2 before BFBC2).
    Completely unrelated is Blizzard getting a letter from me if they don't sell their game for 60 USD, upsetting the PC game standard (there is no damn reason to raise the price when more is sold online than in brick'n'mortar stores). SIGH, with activision's CEO, I don't think they will…

36. clippa says:

The engine is horribly optimised and the controls are very muddy, mouse look is jerky and the game just feels like treacle (and this with a framerate never dropping below 50. I turn that horizon based lighting off as it makes it feel more “laggy”)
    I love the game but it just controls like crap, There will be no toggle for crouch or sprint either and you have to run great distances in this game sometimes. I felt like I had carpal tunnel syndrome after playing for an hour the other night.
    I really want to get this game but my brains just telling me no :(

37. Max says:

As far as I am concerned its perfect except for the lack of “unofficial” dedicated servers.
    However that might not even be that much of a problem, so I’m gonna wait and see.

• Nick says:

To be fair, in BF2 the vast majority played on ranked servers only – these were rented in the same manner. It is a bit odd, but it won’t have that much of an effect on most people.

38. Tei says:

Buy this comment!.
    – Digitaly Downloaded to your PC
    – In english
    – Include subtitles (in text format)

39. Mike says:

Eh, the previous BF games never did. It was never really an issue.

El_MUERkO says:

Preordered many moons ago.

Also my clan will have a heavily moderated server, search for ‘Halibut Hardcore’ at retail launch.

• Dejoh says:

Did not like jumping through hoops just to play the fricken demo. Had it loaded and ready to go, could not find key to play. (all keys gone) they say. I’ll wait to read the revues of the full game.
      Besides, we have enough run and gun-pray and spray games where player don’t care how many times their killed.

HermitUK says:

Beta. Not a Demo. BETA.

People need to get the distinction into their thick skulls. They may decide to do a PC demo after release, as they have done on the consoles, but the BC2 PC Beta was not a demo.

41. Trousers says:

A thousand WIN to the fine sirs at DICE. This is how an FPS is supposed to feel and look. I can actually watch someone play and be entertained, as opposed to MW2.

• Dejoh says:

Roger- 10-4 . Just was intrested in trying the BETA out for a spin. Beta= smoothing out the bumps
      Demo= buy it or dump it.

42. jackflash says:

I actually paid full price and pre-ordered this guy, something I rarely do for any game any more. While I miss the more full featured communications sytems of BF2, this still brings back the fun of that game, and the graphics and audio are incredible.

43. KDogDaddy says:

Great solid teambased shooter that opens up more tactical gameplay infused with fresh variety and environments.

Let’s face it….for someone with ANY experience with any vehicle based shooters, the gameplay of COD:MWII got old after several weeks.

Granted BFBCII (the beta atm) has it’s list of issues, but from past experience with Dice I would say it’s shaping up to be a great all around title.

44. Blackberries says:

That video may have just about convinced me to buy this game. Which is kind of sad when you think about it.

Props to DICE.

45. Monkeybreadman says:

Love the game. Clearly a warm up for Battlefield 3

46. ChaK_ says:

clocked about 60 hours.

on one map…

I feel insane

47. Walsh says:

I liked that they took a step back from MW2’s crazy pipelined unlocks. If you play a class you like, you eventually unlock everything for it vs you must use this gun all the time to unlock it’s features.

I’ve also clocked like 40 hours in it, so much fun.

• Walsh says:

Also, I was on the prone outrage bandwagon but I’ve found I don’t miss it. There’s enough foilage and stuff that you always feel like you can hide, of course until all the trees covering your position are blasted away.

48. Mad Doc MacRae says:

Ugh, I probably can’t get used to any online game that requires me to set up an email based account that isn’t my already existing Steam account.

49. Jad says:

A good PC port of a console game, you say?

BUT HAVE THEY TAKEN OUT THE COUCH REQUIREMENT?!

50. JDE says:

This is ridiculous, that a game which asks you to pay extra and/or preorder to be able to play it competitively is being hailed with such praise. Did you not read what they are doing? If you buy the game early, every vehicle you get in will have increased armor and firepower as well as a motion tracker so that you can never be snuck up on. On top of all that you get a tracker which sticks to other vehicles so everyone in your squad can hunt them down and obliterate them (because they don’t have increased armor, firepower, and have a motion tracker). Then you get two extra weapons so that no one can even stand a chance when it comes to facing you. Aren’t you sooooo cool for having the money to buy the limited edition game? Not only that, a new player has to play the game for a long time and level up to get a weapon that holds a candle to everyone else who has already done so because they have more free time.

• Kryopsis says:

JDE: “Aren’t you sooooo cool for having the money to buy the limited edition game?”
      Everyone pre-ordering Bad Company 2 gets the limited edition by default. That’s not even counting the fact that you can acquire all these items by playing the game.

• JDE says:

So by playing the game, you can get the increased armor and firepower ect. ect. That is available in the limited edition? It wouldn’t really be a limited edition then. Can you send me a link to where you read this?