Wheelie Obvious Headline: Joe Danger Trailer

By John Walker on February 26th, 2010 at 10:08 am.

Well yes.

Kieron already thought of describing Joe Danger as Trials 2 meets Trackmania, and therefore I must be more original. It’s a cross between Bergman’s Nattvardsgästerna and a puma. Too original. It’s a cartoony platform bike riding bounce fest that looks awesome fun. It’s in this year’s IGF running for the grand prize, and we should have an interview with creators Hello Games just as soon as they hurry up and reply. Meanwhile, there’s a new trailer that shows off why this is bulging with potential, as well as doing that clever thing with the quotes in the background that I always like.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. LewieP says:

• LionsPhil says:

“It’s a really good sign when a trailer for a game is just a bunch of footage of it being played, and it still looks great.”

+5, This

2. Okami says:

I think it looks like Excite Bike meets Little Big Planet!

Do I get to be a games journalist now?

3. Ian says:

I didn’t want this.

Now I do.

The power of the trailer compels me.

4. Warth0g says:

Oooh I like to look of that.. always room in my heart for cartoony pick up and play silliness. Just hope it’s priced right..

5. HermitUK says:

Had a go on this back at Eurogamer last year. It was both awesome, and tough as nails when the devs went; “Right, hard mode time!”

6. AndrewC says:

Is retro funk cheese music on sort-of comedy themed games as big a cliche as metal in action games? I mean, it’s friendly and nice, which is always a plus, but give me something different PR type people! Why are we always placed in the kids section of a 60′s Vegas hotel?

How about early 70′s soft rock full of awesome slow hand guitar solos and men with high pitched voices for that true Evel Keneivel feel?

Or Mexican trad band dance music, for that hot-desert, southern states feel? Double the speed to make it extra awesome!

Music! Important! Nerd rage!

Anyways, I like this, I like the slickness of it and I really like how you can click a million cars into existence without any lag – that looks very satisfying.

Also can Joe be a lady with long blonde hair? Ta!

• KillahMate says:

Actually I for one quite like the soundtrack. It’s not quite the same as all the other ones.

• Stu says:

See, I thought it was going to be generic cheese funk as well, right up until the Alan Hawkshaw-esque Hammond solo came crashing in about halfway through. More of that would be a Good Thing in my book.

7. Brumisator says:

Joe Danger, (not affiliated with Rick Dangerous).

Looks like what exitebike revival should have been.

8. kwyjibo says:

Is this even coming to PC?

• LewieP says:

The only platform details we currently have is that all of the buttons are playstation buttons.

• Kieron Gillen says:

kwyjibo: They’re playing it close to their chests. They appear to have it running on all formats. I’ve played it on the PC. I suspect it’ll come to the PC eventually, even if it debuts on the consoles first.

KG

• alseT says:

If they delay the PC release the way Jonathan Blow did, they lose a sale from me.

• Heliocentric says:

Eh… Braid had something exciting, this doesn’t to me. It will likely come out at a stupid high price point and I’ll buy it on sale 2 years from now for pennies.

I’ll admit, it being delayed to kiss up with consoles just means a smaller slice of a small pie for them. I can see why they sold out though.

• AndrewC says:

I absolutely do not get the idea of how selling on console first is ‘selling out’, unless one has the assumption that the consoles are, by definition ‘bad’. Which is silly.

But I sympathise with the price point. If it was released at steam-sale price right away i get the feeling the impulse buys will be huge. But I wouldn’t buy it for £15.

God, what must it be like to sell things, and have to embrace the irrational decision making of consumers?

• Wulf says:

I don’t mind things having their initial début on a console, not at all, but I do hope they bring it out for the PC. I’m not a huge fan of consoles, this I will admit, I do like certain console entries, like PAIN, LittleBigPlanet, and Flower for the PS3 (I loved all of those, equally), and Ace Attorney Investigations on the DS, but in the case of the not handheld consoles, I don’t quite enjoy it so much.

I’m thinking that this might be due to my sight disability though, and the massive televisions involved, I should really look into hooking my consoles up to my laptop. I suspect I’d have much more fun with them then. I had more fun with the PC version of Burnout Paradise and a pad in front of my laptop than I did with it on the PS3, but I digress.

The point of this ramble is that I don’t begrudge developers anything, but they’d get so much more praise from me for a PC release, I just innately prefer computers as a gaming device, I started off with home computers, I like the keyboard and mouse/trackball/weird-spatial-moving-device-thing/what-have-you, and consoles feel foreign in comparison.

So here’s hoping for a PC release, failing that, a PS3 release. I’m hoping I won’t have to drag my 360 out of mothballs.

9. Tore says:

While I’m utterly impressed with an englishman bothering to write the letter “ä”, I still feel obliged to tell you that his name was Bergman, not Bergmen.

10. Tzarkahn says:

Looks fun.

11. Monchberter says:

This needs a PC release, split screen plus online multiplayer and full Steam integration. It’d be great fun

12. Gareth says:

Love the kinetic type in the trailer. Has a great overall feel to it, a very defined style. Will keep it on my radar for sure now =)

13. Dinger says:

The shark tank was awesome. All they needed was the lion from the Simpsons.

14. Diogo Ribeiro says:

“this is bulging with potential”

Man, that is so gonna be the slogan on my business card.

• Wulf says:

I was always partial to bursting with potential, but bulging is good, too.

15. Gareth says:

Anonymous Coward said:
    The shark tank was awesome. All they needed was the lion from the Simpsons.

And a guest appearance from the one, the only, Captain Lance Murdock Murdock Murdock!

16. Dreamhacker says:

Mmm… Nattvardsgästerna.

17. Lambchops says:

I’ve been looking forward to this one for a while.

It looks like it could be to Trials what Mario Kart is to racing games for me (ie something bright and fun which I’m actually vaguely competent at!).

18. Monchberter says:

Where’s Jimmy Gibbs Jr, or his ‘infected’ self?

/L4D2 fandom

• Monchberter says:

Also, the art style is such that i could see a TF2 Kart Racer in this engine. Or even better, Heavies on trials bikes!

19. Gareth says:

Anonymous Coward said:

I like it =) Got a heavy in my head going “Ratatatatatatata” in time to the strokes of an engine, heh.

• LionsPhil says:

Fortress Kart: Valve’s next stealth-hit project?

Spy needs a moped. A gadget moped.

• LionsPhil says:

Ah, it’s been very much thought of by fanboys on the Internets. Someone has even illustrated this concept.

I am disappointed by the use of generic karts, though. What about the Sniper’s (dinky) campervan? The Engineer’s (dinky) truck?

20. Urthman says:

Totally had me the moment the editor just causally drops 372 cars on the track to jump over. What a fun trailer!

21. westyfield says:

Oh my, that in-game level design feature looks like a lot of fun!

Will be keeping a beady eye on this one, oh yes…

22. Anthony says:

Yeah, same here, it actually looks a lot better than I expected.

23. Wulf says:

Ah, this trailer makes me feel happy just by watching it. It’s sort of like the PAIN trailers for the PS3, it’s just this silly, gleeful little thing that’s going to pass most by, I expect, but I’ll end up loving it, because I’m prone to loving gleeful, absurd little things. It’s just my wont. And speaking of one’s wont, I want this now. …that was terrible, wasn’t it? Sorry. I’m just wheely excited about it. What can I say?

24. Jeeva says:

Goshdarn, annoyed now for missing the talk by some of the guys doing this the other day. =(
    Sounds delightful! (And looks very nice, to boot)

25. MedO says:

This reminds me mostly of Kikstart II. Which is a very good thing :)

• Hodge says:

It too reminded me of Kikstart, as well as BMX Kidz.

I am so very old.

26. mcnubbins says:

THIS IS THE SEXIEST GAME I HAVE EVER SEEN!

27. Smeghammer says:

Yeah, definitely excitebike, definitely trackmania in so much that you can alter the tracks, otherwise, not much similarity..

I’ve been following this one for a while, but still no clues as to a solid release date?

28. jsutcliffe says:

Bumtacularly, it looks like Hello Games are going PS3-exclusive with this. The PS3 is the only gaming device I do not have. I feel like they are targeting me unfairly!