Gratuitous Space Battles: The Order

By Jim Rossignol on March 1st, 2010 at 11:59 am.

…which sounds like an account of what happens when you buy the game, but is actually a new race that Cliffski has added in over the weekend. I’m downloading it to take a proper look, but in the meantime you can cast a theological eye over the details and then watch the trailer below.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. piphil says:

Is this still download only?

(I will qualify this by saying it was the last time I looked…)

I would love to get GSB, but my 3G internet connection is too flaky and bandwidth-limited to manage it… :-(

• Arathain says:

@ piphil: It’s not a very big game. The download for the installer is under 60MB. You don’t need an online connection to play. The multiplayer component involves downloading the fleets of others, which are tiny in size, and can be played offline- no constant connection required. Don’t let those limitations put you off- in your case it’s the perfect game for you because of those limitations.

• piphil says:

I may well give it a go then, although I’ve struggled at times with files much larger than 10 MB…

• HYPERPOWERi says:

@piphil: If 60mb is too much for you connection to swallow in one go, try using something like BitComet – it lets you resume direct downloads.

2. HYPERPOWERi says:

Absolute adore GSB. Own the original and both the expansions. One of the rare few games my sense of buyer’s remorse has been quiet about. The game shines online. Beating other players’ challenges and seeing their feeble attempts at beating your own is fantastic.

3. zzzzzzz says:

Never played online…but my question is…with the new races…are there gameplay improvements?

Or does the Singleplayer still get so mindnumbingly boring after an hour?

• HYPERPOWERi says:

You shouldn’t playing single player after an hour. Online challenges are downloaded to your HD and can be played at leisure – not unlike the single player missions, but obviously designed by other players and more often than not require a fair bit of thinking and/or trial and error to overcome.

4. Shadowmancer says:

Is this on steam or Impulse yet, if not I probably won’t buy.

5. Sagan says:

OK I’m looking for advice:

I ruined the game for myself by playing through the entire game using the tutorial fleet. I was just testing how far I could go, and then it turned out that I could finish the entire game on all difficulties with just the tutorial ships.

So now I have finished the game, but I have learned absolutely nothing, and I don’t feel motivated to play the maps again with my own ships. Can anyone recommend some good donwloadable scenarios or something where I have to build a custom fleet and could maybe finally learn the game? They shouldn’t be too difficult, but they shouldn’t be solvable on the first try. Thanks.

• HYPERPOWERi says:

Have a look at the V and A columns in the list of challenges. (V)ictory shows the number of times the challenge has been beaten by other players, (A)ttempts shows the number of times people phailed at it. The yellow stars are votey difficulty, the red stars are votey enjoyment.

You want some challenges that have the higher # of attempts. Try mine! I’m HYPERPOWER! Challenge posted on 02/25/10.

• Arathain says:

Building fleets is the core of the game, and plenty of experimenting is in order. Try looking into building specialised ships that perform specific roles for your fleet- here’s a few suggestions.

Fast cruisers with short range shield penetrating weapons, designed to rush inside the enemy’s minimum range and tear up their shields.

Frigates loaded with missiles, set to stay at range and pelt ships from afar.

A tank cruiser, loaded with armour and repair units, set to take the damage for your flimsier ships.

Support frigates, with light or no offensive weapons, but with point defense, shield disruptors and ECM.

The fastest dogfighty interceptor you can build. Multi-purpose gunship-style fighters.

Design, experiment, tweak. Can you make a fleet using only one ship type that still wins fights? Can you make a balanced fleet capable of handling multiple challenges? Can you make a challenge that gets the highest difficulty rating?

6. westyfield says:

The best part is that the announcement email has the subject line “Religious Aliens want to destroy you with nuclear missiles”.

7. MarkSide says:

How did you know I have a theological eye? This website freaks me out sometimes.

8. steve says:

BY seeing the site http://www.weightlossguide.com which contains the valuable information on this medicine is pretty good to take decision.

9. Vinraith says:

GSB was a fun little toy but I think it would take new modes or gameplay elements to bring me back.