Incredibly Strong Legs: Just Cause 2 Trailers

By John Walker on March 1st, 2010 at 2:37 pm.

This is how I get to work every day. (No it's not. I work in my own house. I'm just a liar.)

I know I should probably resist, but I can’t help myself. I have to keep passing on these Just Cause 2 videos. They’ve been amazing in their campaign, and they’ve hit a real high with the Anatomy Of A Stunt series. So below is the latest, and one from last week that I had resisted posting since the previous lot had gone up the day before. The latest isn’t so great, but for the final caption punchline. The other is one hell of a tease. The game’s out later this month, and I know I’m chasing my own tail in anticipation. As I say every time: so long as the game doesn’t get in the way of the fun these trailers have shown, it’s going to be a playground of madness. So long as the game doesn’t get in the way. Because I love you I’ve included GameTrailers’ interview about this very subject as well. Which is well worth watching.

Latest:

Tease:

Interview:

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Spod says:

Gah, I really hope this is a good port.

2. Ian says:

HARD SURFACE.

3. GriddleOctopus says:

Looks ‘meh’. Passable trailers but not good enough to justify the repeated posting. Like the first one, we’ll get bored after 2 days.

• Jesse says:

I would respond to this, but what is one to say to a person whose heart has grown cold? Away, hungry ghost! Turn your dread attentions to a subject less joyful, to a place more suitable to your grim ashy temperament. Return to the dark road you have chosen, and trouble our hot, lusty hearts no more!

• lhzr says:

@octopus: you must’ve meant 2 hours, surely. can’t see how anyone could stand playing the first one for two days. except perhaps if said someone was something like a well trained factory worker, which is to say extremely resistant to repetitive tasks and overwhelming boredom.

• GriddleOctopus says:

@jessie Hrm, ad hominem? Kids shoulda stuck to the logic beats, skipped the keats. These movies are formulaic, uninspired things to make apes beat their chests – but then, I come here for the words.

@Izhr I concede, it was a shoddy, irritating game saved only by a grapnel and large playing area. Two hours was probably my limit too.

• Jesse says:

I’m sorry, I don’t understand any of those words.

• Jesse says:

Not to pursue an internet argument, but it’s not as if your original comment was full of thoughtful content. You didn’t like the first one. Interesting! Against your opinion I match this observation: perhaps others have noticed a trend lately, of great sequels to mediocre games? It’s not impossible that the sequel to Just Cause, which seems to have a bit of a cult following, could actually improve on the original.

You go on to liken people who enjoy these trailers to apes. Well excuse me for interrupting your Socratic dialogue, sir! Next time I’ll try to remember to save my ad hominems and dedicate myself wholly to the ad simiadae, to follow your estimable example.

• Shalrath says:

I wasn’t aware Ayn Rand had a game out, tell us of it after you are completed that grand odyssey, ‘GriddleOctopus.’

• KillahMate says:

Well, technically, BioShock 2 did come out recently…

• GriddleOctopus says:

@jess Sorry, let’s take the heat out of this – shouldn’t have responded rudely to your rudeness. I didn’t like the first one, yes, but that wasn’t that was I saying (badly). (IMHO, the plot was awful, combat mechanic was shonky, everywhere looked the same and had the same tiny number of activities, guns were boring, characters were uninteresting. Only things any good were the grapnel and vehicles. Give me Crackdown or Saint’s Row anyday.)

But my point was that these trailers don’t make it look like the game has changed substantially – just that they’ve hired a good video editor. I fully expect that I’m wrong, that it is a good game and that they’ve done with this one what they didn’t get a chance to do with the first one – just that I don’t get it from these trailers. I’d much rather read an interesting article about how great grapnels are, or the variety of protagonist haircuts, or gloryholes in FPSes, or something from the communications experts at RPS about why JC2’s great, than have to look at another one of these trailers.

4. Rich says:

Looking forward to this.

Looking forward around 2 years ’till I have Win7 and a machine that’ll run it well enough though.

5. Chocolate Elephant says:

I think we should remember that trailer quality =/= game quality. Bioware were the most recent to show us that (in the right way, thankfully).

These guys are trying way too hard.

• Jesse says:

One difference: Bioware was showing *cut scenes* to music that didn’t exist in the game. These trailers are in-game footage.

Yes, I wouldn’t preorder anything based on trailers alone, but the demo comes out on Thursday. Apparently it contains 35 square kilometers of terrain and features multiple vehicles, including planes… So look for your substance there. Based on the trailers, I expect good things from the demo.

• Shalrath says:

To be fair it was _EA_ showing the cutscenes, not Bioware.

• Jesse says:

Oh, that’s good. I like Bioware.

6. Garg says:

Hugely dissappointed that the passenger plane didn’t spontaneously kersplode behind him.

7. Gabanski83 says:

No XP support = no purchase for me. They just HARD SURFACED my wallet, sadly.

Looks amazing though, really want it…

8. Srekel says:

Dudes. You know the demo is due to be out on Thursday, right? On all platforms.

9. LintMan says:

So long as the game doesn’t get in the way.>/i>

Amen, brother.

10. Heliosicle says:

The demo is gonna have a load of stuff in it apparently, which is a good way to do demos, make me play it so much I dont even think about not buying it.

11. Meat Circus says:

JET LOSES!

No, wait, I’d call that a no-score draw.

12. Ffitz says:

XP = no DX10-powered shiny HARD SURFACES = you lose.

Win7 = shiny HARD SURFACES = I win.

13. yeahda says:

What you should resist is making these stupid and lame titles to your posts all the time.

14. yeahda says:

This website would be a lot better if the writers made the writing about the games, and not about themselves. I don’t need you trying to make up lame titles, and I don’t need to hear about you. That your cat jumps on your table while you’re playing Stalker I don’t give a fuck about.

You write much better on Eurogamer, probably because you’re not allowed to write so much bullshit over there?

• Colthor says:

@Yeahda:
      But you can read things written like Eurogamer on Eurogamer. I quite like reading things written like RPS on RPS.

• Meat Circus says:

This is Xerxes. Security, dispatch the deathbots. Humourless wazzock infestation in the lower decks. Extreme force is both desirable and quite funny.

• Ian says:

yeahda: Perhaps you should give a fuck about the fact that this is their blog and can write what they want, how they want?

And you could, you know, sod off and visit sites you DO like?

• Jacques says:

@Meat Circus
      You’re obsessed. What next, SHODAN bed sheets?

• jarvoll says:

You write “obsessed” as though it were a bad thing. They don’t come much better than SS2 – obsession is totally justified. I’d be worried about someone who was obsessed over Halo 2 for PC, though.

• Jesse says:

Dual wielding, punks! In my right hand I’ve got a needler, and in the other hand…another needler! Booyah!

• Jacques says:

But, but, but. He called me an insect on twitter :(

• nutterguy says:

@Idiot “That your cat jumps on your table while you’re playing Stalker I don’t give a fuck about.”

Well I fucking do! That had me in fits.
      Poor little Dexter…

15. jti says:

The friendly more personal and less serious touch is why I come here, and of course because it’s PC all the way. If you don’t like it, go somewhere else. There are about zillion people out there who like RPS just for the reasons you are criticizing it.

Come on, if you have a bad day don’t come here to vent yourself.

16. westyfield says:

“Pre-order now to recieve-”

OH GO AWAY WON’T YOU?

• LewieP says:

Ubisoft are making one of the multiplayer modes exclusive to preorders from a specific retailer for the new Splinter Cell.

• jon_hill987 says:

Yeah, that and DLC that splits the playerbase of multiplayer games are really getting on my tits.

• JohnArr says:

@LewieP New low, or have they hired The Onion to do PR?

17. Roberto says:

I’ve watched a bit of these promos and i played some of the last game on 360 and wasn’t super impressed. These videos have won me over though, gotta say I’m looking forward to it now.

18. Bonedwarf says:

That Fire Truck vs Plane vid is lame. Nowhere near as good as the others.

This game cannot POSSIBLY be as good as it looks. Can’t wait for the demo. Hoping it gives some indication as to WTF is going on with pre-orders on this side of the pond as nowhere I’ve found in Canada has ANYTHING going on with them that I can find.

19. ginzoo says:

The demo will be out on March the 4th! WOHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

35 square miles of demo desert!!!!!!!!!!!

cant wait!

G

20. Shalrath says:

I want to know what the, err, gameplay is like. If this is like Red Faction: Guerilla and I suddenly have to drive a truck that can only do 90 degree turns I’m going to kill someone.

21. Soobe says:

In the PC versions of the GTA games their is always a file called handling.dat which allows you to tweak vehicles settings such as top speed and weight. I’ll play through the games without touching this file, then when done, crack it open and make a few vehicles insanely fast and heavy.

Of course the game was never meant to have such fast and heavy vehicles, and so my tweaks make me a god, but only so when in a vehicle. This dichotomy of insanely fast stunt vehicle but still vulnerable player would give me at least 60 hours more game time.

The reason why is even though the game was effectively ‘broken’ with such blatant cheats, it was actually more fun than the “official game” part because:

a. the process of making the cheat and tweaking settings was half the fun
    b. The game world was still huge and great, only now I’m an unstoppable Transformer like god.
    c. If I blew up a car, I was back to being completely vulnerable until I found a new one.

It’s that last point that has me a tad worried about Just Cause. See, you can’t have it all–You still need to be venerable at some point, and the fact that your parachute is ‘always on’ leads me to think that the combat may be pretty unfocused and loose. I fear that at no point will you need to rely on planing ahead or ingenuity, you can just ‘chute your way out of any situation.

Bottom line is you need rules, because breaking them is where the fun happens.

22. Don says:

Enough of the trailers already, I’m sold. I’ll buy the game or not when the most important question in PC gaming has been answered: How much does the DRM suck?