Absolute Power Corrupts?

By Jim Rossignol on March 2nd, 2010 at 2:20 pm.

Hopefully just your moral character, and not your hard-disk, as Absolute Power is the expansion for Tropico 3. Interesting one this, because I hadn’t heard much of the game after release so I had to wonder how well it had done for sales. Turns out it did this many: enough for an immediate expansion pack. How many is that? I just don’t know. Anyway, Absolute Power includes a “new campaign featuring 10 missions on a separate map with 10 islands which are also available in sandbox mode”, and an archipelago of additional buildings, roads, and other island-forming stuff. There are also new factions, and other bits to spice up the political side of things. No sign of an official web page for this yet, but the release date is approximately “summer”.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Serenegoose says:

Hmmm, if they sell this bundled with Tropico 3 (which is likely) then I might have to buckle and pick it up. I enjoyed the demo, but I’ve never really been one for sandboxy city-builders. More content = more temptation.

• HexagonalBolts says:

I wouldn’t get too excited about more content, although the game is solid and enjoyable the existing content is painfully repetitive, with every island playing in a very similar way – hopefully this will add something fresh.

• RedFred says:

Unfortunately I have to agree. I love the theme and the graphics were great but there was nothing really holding my attention after my first game.

It also seemed very easy.

2. Lord Acton says:

Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

• mujadaddy says:

“Absolute Power Corrups?”

I’m sorry, do you REALLY think that’s up to RPS standard? Ten demerits, Jimbo.

• blah says:

“Power attracts the corruptible. Suspect all who seek it.” – Frank Herbert

3. BooleanBob says:

This alone makes Tropico 3 an Artifact of Culture (for serious, you guys).

All things considered, it’s fortunate they also provide a pretty good game to keep your hands busy while listening to the soundtrack (your legs will already be busy dancing). And now there will be more of it!

4. Burningpet says:

It took the vanilla version exactly 2 games before it got extremely boring.

5. Cooper says:

My interest in Tropico 3 has waned somewhat. I’m in the middle of one of the last 3 campaign missions, and haven’t fired it up for a few weeks.

It is a good game, and looks very pretty, but (and I’m probably not playing it right) there’s a lot of ‘down time’ as you’re simply trying to make up enough cash to expand.

I also have an unmodded, clean install of SimCity 4 – just waiting, waiting for me to spend a long Sunday afternoon trawling Simtropolis for buildings (and their dependencies, which is what takes the time…) and then firing it up.

This expansion pack for the sake of a few quid will save me that afternoon and provide me with all my urban design gaming needs. yay!

6. Frosty840 says:

This surprises me.

Games like SimCity4 and Civ4 are released with something obviously missing, guaranteed sales, and an inevitable expansion pack to fill the gaps.

Tropico 3 doesn’t actually strike me as having had anything missing from it.
    It’ll be the first time in a while that I’ve actually been in anticipation of an expansion pack, just to see what it might contain…

• Oak says:

Funny, I’d mark down Civ 4 as a game that decidedly did not need an expansion.

• Stromko says:

I’d have to agree with Frosty, I can’t think of what Tropico 3 was missing and am looking forward to this. Maybe it’s just the way I approached it, but it didn’t even seem that repetitive over multiple playthroughs.

7. Vinraith says:

Now this is surprising good news. I do hope it adds back a few more missing structures from the original game (not that I’m trashing Trop 3, for everything it loses from the original it picks up something new and interesting).

8. Fumarole says:

More Tropico is a Good Thing.

9. negativedge says:

expansion packs are definitely not a sign that something sold well. they’re a sign that cheap content makes more money than expensive content, as expansion packs are inherently cheap to produce. you’ve already got the engine and most of the assets.

10. nomzz333 says:

You maybe surprise to know that I didn’t know about it before…