It’s Great When You’re Tate: Game Play

By Kieron Gillen on March 2nd, 2010 at 10:39 am.

Doing anything on Friday? As in, this Friday. Friday 5th. Yes, I think you are. At least if you live in London, anyway. There’s a series of game-related events in London at the Tate Britain in the “Late at the Tate Britain: Game Play” event, which is a mix of social games (ala Werewolf), music, actual videogames and talks. The full program is below, but I’ll selfishly highlight the panel I’m on – “Video Games: design, narrative, gameplay”, where I’ll be sitting alongside Charles Cecil (Broken Sword), Dave Gibbons (Watchmen) and chair Ste Curran (General Trolling of all reality, Creative Director of Zoe Mode, etc). The whole thing kicks off at 6:30, and is totally free, though you’ll need to pick up tickets on a first-come-first-served basis for the talks from 6. Come!

Games confirmed as art as Tate Britain hosts gaming event

Friday, 5th March 2010 event to showcase the finer side of gaming with Late at Tate Britain: Game Play

Tuesday March 2nd 2010: Gaming culture takes over Tate Britain on March 5th 2010. From low-tech parlour games Charades and Werewolf, to performance and interactive media art with Blast Theory’s Can You See Me Now? Plus talks from presenters of Resonance FM’s One Life Left Ste Curran and Simon Byron, and experimental music from David Toop and Unknown Devices: Laptop Orchestra – it’s all to play for.

Entry is free, and the full programme is as follows:

Games
    Video Games

North and South Duveens

18.30 -21.30

Play a selection of video games chosen by presenters of Resonance FM’s One Life Left, Ste Curran and Simon Byron, projected in the Duveen Galleries.

South Duveens terminal:

* Chime
* Rez HD
* Samurai Shodown Sen

North Duveens terminal:

* Flower
* Heavy Rain
* DJ Hero

Can You See Me Now?

Manton Foyer and around the Gallery

18.30 – 21.30

Artists’ company Blast Theory has created a game happening simultaneously online and in the streets surrounding Tate Britain and Chelsea College of Art & Design. Players online and on the Manton Foyer computer terminals are chased by the Blast Theory runners, tracked by satellites on a virtual map.

Parlour Games

Collection galleries

18.30 -21.30

Test your acting, drawing and detective skills, and get involved in some good old-fashioned parlour games in the Collection galleries.

* Room 3 – Speed Charades with Lady Evelyn Ware and Baron Lachimo Lavine
* Room 4 – Win Lose or Draw with Stephanie Jory
* Room 5 – Werewolf with Robin Clyfan

Section of the Collection

Collection galleries

19.00 -21.30

Play a card game with fellow Late at Tate visitors: match your Section of the Collection with other players, take your completed artwork to the bar, and say the title to win a prize! Sections handed out 19.00 – 19.30.

Music

David Toop and Unknown Devices: The Laptop Orchestra

Room 9

19.30 – 20.00 & 20.45 – 21.15

David Toop and Unknown Devices: The Laptop Orchestra explore the dynamics, technical and interpersonal demands of group collaborations, to create an improvisation using an unusual variety of instruments, noisemakers and gaming equipment.

18.30 – 19.30 & 20.00 – 20.45

Dominic Murcott composes for acoustic ensembles and electronics and is Head of Composition at Trinity College of Music. Tonight’s DJ set picks crunchy gems and warped melodies from some unexpected corners of more than four decades of electronica.

Talks

Children’s Games and Songs

Manton Studio

19.00 – 19.30

Andrew Burn talks about his research into Children’s playground games and songs past and present, using the Opie Sound Archive Collection at the British Library, and how project partners the Institute of Education and Nintendo are revisiting the playground to develop a new game for Nintendo Wii.

Video Games: design, narrative, gameplay

Auditorium

19.30 – 20.30

How do game design, narrative and gameplay interact to make a successful video game? Ste Curran, game designer and Creative Director at Zoe Mode chairs a panel including, creator, writer and artist Charles Cecil, game critic Kieron Gillen and co-creator of Watchmen, Dave Gibbons.

Tickets for both talks available from the Clore Information desk at 18.00 on a first come, first served basis

Talkaoke

Room 28

18.30-21.30

Talkaoke is the human sized talk show that you take charge of, a round table and built in broadcast system. The host in the in the middle passes the mic to whoever chooses to sit down. Tonight we discover what people think about British art and The Great British Art Debate:

* Is the idea of British art a British fantasy?
* Should art be good for you?
* Does the art of the past say anything about the world of today?
* Should the public have a say in what goes into museums?
* Is art too popular?

Laure Prouvost It, heat, hit (2010)

Lightbox

6 minutes on a loop

Lightbox presents It, heat, hit (2010), a new work by Laure Prouvost that constructs and propels an inferred story through a fast-moving sequence of written commentary and visual excerpts of everyday incidents and pictures.

General Information

Main pay bar in Octagon 18.30-21.30

Beer bar in Room 9 18.30-21.30

Refreshments available in the Café on Level 1 18.00-21.30

Restaurant Tasting Menu for 19.30 sitting £60 per head

Main Shop Level 2 open until 21.40

Exhibition Shop open until 21.40

Collection displays open 18.00-21.40

Half price entry to Chris Ofili and Henry Moore

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Ginger Yellow says:

Bit cheeky of Ste to include his own game.

2. AVarotsis says:

woot! I’m so there :)

3. SanguineAngel says:

Hahaha I was just looking for something to do in london on friday evening… perfect. Anyone else wandering along?

AndrewC says:

Free, you say?

5. Michal Gancarski says:

And I do not live in London. Why oh why!

6. Monkeybreadman says:

This or Bad Company 2? Hmmmmm

7. skizelo says:

Much as I love him as a comic artist, what does Gibbons have to do with video games? Beneath a Steel Sky aside.

AndrewC says:

Well, you know, what does Kieron have to do with them? Being a mouthy get with an opinion aside?

• Kieron Gillen says:

When Ste invited me, he was saying the main theme would be narrative lessons between videogames and comics. As in, how they differ, how they’re the same, what they can learn from one another, etc.

So – y’know – I’m a comic writer, a game critic and have just written a narrative-lead game right now for Channel 4.

There’s lots of noise about Gibbons and Cecil working on something else together too. Worth going just to prod them about that.

KG

• BooleanBob says:

That’s quite a juicy drop, KG. Any details on this C4 project anywhere? I do hope it’s going to have lots of FMV-captured bright young wannabe actors chewing the scenery (and each other!) in the cause of some wilfully silly high-concept fun.

• Kieron Gillen says:

Boolean: There’s an RPS thread which is sort of collecting the public information* on it. It’s called The Curfew. and it’s a near-future adventure with a civil liberties theme, built on Littleloud’s previous Bow Street Runner engine.

It’s also filming this week, which is funny.

KG

*Not all of which is totally correct.

• Ginger Yellow says:

Gibbons also worked on Broken Sword. Didn’t One Life Left have an interview with Cecil in which he talked about the new project? I seem to remember them being excited at having an exclusive that wasn’t a piss-take for once.

8. Skurmedel says:

I rather liked Tate my last visit, they have bucketloads of pretentious crap, but that is a must for a museum of modern art. One of the best rooms is the one with the Soviet propaganda posters.

• Kieron Gillen says:

Skurmedel: That’s the Tate Modern, innit? This is Tate Britain. Very different places.

KG

• Skurmedel says:

Oh sorry, :) I thought they had gone all contemporary entertainment all of the sudden.

• Kieron Gillen says:

Skurmedel: Tate modern is more… well, trad would be the way to put it. Frankly, I’m surprised this is not at the Modern.

(Which is one of my favourite places in London. Perhaps unsurprisingly)

KG

• Skurmedel says:

Oh yeah, is Tate Britain the one’s giving out the weird price?

I really like the building Tate Modern resides in… Which is a reason I liked Louisiana in Denmark as well.

9. Piispa says:

How about you just left that stoopid London there and come here instead? I have beer. And ketchup.

10. Lewis says:

Huh. I’ll be in London over the weekend. Can’t really justify going down on the Friday, though. Bugger.

11. Vague-rant says:

Huh. This, or a tutorial… this or a tutorial. Tempting…

If I go does that make me a good or a bad geek?

12. Alex Bakke says:

Damn, I would go, but I am a lowly serf living in Newbury. I doubt I could get a lift into London.

13. BigJonno says:

I knew moving down to London to go to uni would pay off sooner or later! I even have a completely legitimate excuse in the form of being a Game Studies student (also Education Studies, and a student of the mature variety.)

Must try and stalk Kieron

14. Urthman says:

I’m disappointed this post is not about turning your monitor sideways to play a vertical shmup.

15. Hunty says:

I’m travelling away from the smoke this weekend, which is a bit of a blow as this sounds rather good.