Shank Deffo On PC, Picked Up By EA Partners

By John Walker on March 5th, 2010 at 4:06 pm.

Maiming at dusk - always lovely.

Speedypost: Shank, the really very splendid-looking 2D action platformer that’s currently in the running for the Visual Art Excellence award at the IGF, has been confirmed as coming out on PC as well as PSN and XBLA. There’d been doubts before, so hip hip hooray – all three, with EA Partners doing the publishing. Which is rather splendid news. I know this because IndieGames tells me so. You can read Kieron’s interview with Klei, the makers of Shank, by clicking here, which is a thing you should do.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Radiant says:

Conversely I don’t think Deathspank [also on EA partners] is getting a pc release.

2. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Meh want! Nao!
    I haven’t been to 4chan’s /b/ for ages, really…Trust me!

3. Joflar says:

OK, this isn’t exactly confirmation but on the Hothead forums someone asked what Deathspank system requirements would be, and another poster guessed that they would be similar to Penny Arcade adventures. Then one of the site admins said “tenochtitlan’s assessment is correct in terms of our philosophy. The exact specs haven’t been finalized yet though.” If I had to guess, they’re going to put it on Greenhouse and make it download only since their EA partners thing doesn’t extend to the PC.

• Joflar says:

ah should have been @Radiant’s post

• Gremmi says:

“If I had to guess, they’re going to put it on Greenhouse”

God, I hope not. Greenhouse has been virtually dead for about a year. They’re still listing Multiwinia as a new game.

• Joflar says:

Or another online distribution service…

• Wulf says:

Greenhouse could’ve been something interesting, but the Penny Arcade guys are really too wishy-washy with it — and their attitude toward PC gaming — for it to really reach its potential.

I’m just glad that Steam exists so that The Maw and And Yet it Moves had a place to go, as both are absolutely brilliant games that deserve better than wallowing in the remains of a dead site.

So, I too hope that they’ll consider more than just Greenhouse for Deathspank.

4. Miker says:

B-b-but how can that be? Surely the designer of Monkey Island wouldn’t shun the PC, would he? WOULD HE?

*sobs*

• Wulf says:

I very, very much doubt it. Deathspank will end up on the PC, one way or another.

5. faelnor says:

I really dislike the way this game looks. Ugh :U

• Wulf says:

I dig it, it reminds me of modern Western animation styles, and providing that the animation is as quality as those examples then I’ll be happy with it. Looks pretty good from the screenshots/vids.

6. Rick says:

Given that one of the other two Monkey Island designers already has, I wouldn’t put it past this one.

• Wulf says:

I’m going to get lambasted for this one, but Gilbert and Schafer aren’t cut from the same cloth, Gilbert was always more the PC guy, and that even comes across in his blog. Schafer? Nnnnotsomuch.

7. Zyrxil says:

Good news I guess? I just can’t seem to care though. The artwork deserves that award in Visual Excellence (Visual Innovation?) it got, but the gameplay looks worn and tired. I would rather play Streets of Rage 3.

• Wulf says:

Or Cadillacs & Dinosaurs!

Gods, I loved that arcade.

I’m willing to give this a fair shake, though, as I likes my scrolly beat-em-ups.

• Nick says:

But Streets of Rage 3 was crap. 2 was much better.

• Wulf says:

3 lets me play as a boxing Kangaroo, 3 wins for me!

8. Shalrath says:

EA partners is fantastic – and oddly good to work for. I’d rate them above most publishers, in fact, in terms of creative flexibility. The worst of those is activision, followed by ‘old’ EA.

9. Wulf says:

I’m glad to hear that this has found its way to the PC, as almost every time that an ancient genre is revisited by an indie developer, there’s new life breathed into it by some innovative addition or other. I loved my scrolly beat-em-ups back in the day, but the games don’t stand up to my nostalgic memories. Perhaps this will!

10. Alexander Norris says:

Huzzah!

I was just the other day lamenting the absence of pretty indie XBLA/PSN titles like Castle Crashers and Shank on PC. Glad to hear that’s being remedied on at least one count.

11. PHeMoX says:

Fck yeah! Awesome game, great that it’s going to be released on PC as well.

12. Freudian Trip says:

Has their been a release of some sort of this at any point? I’m sure I’ve played it and not enjoyed it already. Was their a similar art style game done in flash recently?

13. yarbo says:

This game is a day one purchase on Steam for me! (providing it comes out on steam, which I assume it will).

PLEASE DO NOT PIRATE THIS GAME. WE NEED TO KEEP THE INDIE DEVS MAKING GAMES FOR PC AND NOT DOING CONSOLE EXCLUSIVES LIKE THAT AWESOME LOOKING MOTORBIKE TRICK GAME SHOWN ON HERE RECENTLY THAT IS NOW A PSN EXCLUSIVE!!

• Wulf says:

I’ll never understand indies going console exclusive, as stuff seems to sell better on the PC due to word of mouth and community. I already know a bunch of people that have Clover now, thanks to me, and I know I’m not the only one who’s got a group of indie-loving friends.

They’re just missing out on a good amount of sales, likely more than the money they were paid to be exclusive. It’s very silly, but their choice. Were it out for the PC, I’d buy it. I won’t begrudge them their choice to be exclusive, but I can’t say it’s the best choice.

— Updated after chasing this up. —

It seems like it’s not exclusive, simply that they’re concentrating on the PS3 first, and then working on PC and 360 releases after. They just want the PS3 version out the door first, there’s no exclusivity deal there, just hyperbole by PS3 fanboy-type journalists.

Thank goodness for that! Joe Danger is still on my to-buy list, then!

14. Oak says:

Shank Deffo, Private Eye.

15. Shadrach says:

YAY I’m so looking forward to this.

16. KillahMate says:

Damn, EA keeps looking better and better even as ActiBlizzard flushes its credibility down the drain. Go figure.

17. Delsie Ganaway says:

Wonderful guide, well crafted I have to admit.