The RPS Bargain Bucket: Dragon Sheep

By Lewie Procter on March 6th, 2010 at 12:08 pm.

Happy weekend everyone! What are you doing today? Why don’t you invest in some cut-price digital entertainment courtesy of The Bargain Bucket. This week we’ve got something for everyone. Games where you can shoot people, games where you can do things to sheep and games where you have to do a bit of thinking. If you want more savings, get yourself over to SavyGamer.co.uk. For now, onto the bargains…

Global Agenda – £23.99/€31.99/$39.99
That’s an OK discount, but if you pair up with someone else you can save a bit more (£20.99/€27.99/$34.99 each) and if you buddy up as a group of four you can save even more (£17.99/€23.99/$29.99 each). You get a code which you then enter into Steam. This is a game which I have not played, I don’t really like the MMOs. Still, you can play with Rock Paper People here. RPS coverage here.

Flock! – £2.61/€2.90/$3.95
This game won a BAFTA, so it is at least as good as Harry Hill’s TV Burp, The Hurt Locker and ITV’s coverage of the 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix. It features “over 50 pastoral puzzles”, so if you were ready to say “I am not paying more than £0.06 per puzzle”, then you have no need to worry. You are a space ship (I think) and you have to collect sheep (I think), and it has online coop and a level editor (I know!). Seems worth a pop at that price. RPS coverage here, demo here.

THE INDIE GAMES STRATEGY BUNDLE CAPS LOCK ENGAGED – £35.87/€39.75/$49.99
Contains:
Gratuitous Space Battles + The Tribe
Solium Infernum
AI War + The Zenith Remnant
This bundle represents a saving of roughly 43.7127% from what they would cost bought separately. UK folk can sneakily avoid paying VAT by simply lying about what country you are in, which is probably good practice for your skill of deception, which you’ll be needing for Solium Infernum. Each game has a demo available here.

Toki Tori – £1.62/€2.23/$2.45
If you thought Flock’s “over 50″ levels for £2.61 was mega-value, then you’ll be amazed at Toki Tori’s “Over 80 levels” for only £1.62. Just shy of £0.02 per level! This is a puzzle platformer that started off on the Game Boy Colo(u)r, then found it’s way onto the wagglebox via Wiiware and got all touchy feely with an iPhone version before making its way to the PC. They have just recently added a rewind feature, for when you make platforming mistakes: “This feature really fastens up the gameplay of Toki Tori because you don’t have to restart the level when you make a mistake” says Collin van Ginkel, the Creative Director at Two Tribes, presumably having just played Sands of time and liking the mechanic there. I can’t seem to find a demo.

Deal of the week
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising – £5.49/€6.99/$7.49
Jim said these words and more over here.
“I realised early on that the “Operation Flashpoint” part of Dragon Rising really isn’t anything more than a convenient handle that Codemasters happened to have around. This is a game that is, spiritually and genetically, far more a successor to the Delta Force games than it is to the original Operation Flashpoint. I was having flashbacks to Delta Force 2 during my time with Dragon Rising, and remembered just how much I enjoyed that ancient manshoot at the time. These days, however, it seems barren. The actual Delta Force games have long ago wandered off into the no-man’s land of awfulness, and Dragon Rising seems like a good approximation of where they might have been if they had remained a contender.” RPS coverage here and demo here.

Also of note:
3 for £18 from Zavvi for games on shiny plastic discs. Includes the likes of Burnout Paradise, Mass Effect & Crysis Warhead.
Mac games sale as D2D try to steal some of Valve’s thunder. Be sure to check the UK, EU and USA store for the best prices.
Real Myst + Uru – 25% off
Hearts of Iron 3 – Discounts on the game and all the DLC.
Street Fight 4: Soon to be made obsolete edition is 50% off on GFWL

To continue keeping your wallet full of money and your hard drive full of games, head to SavyGamer.co.uk

1. Premium User Badge James G says:

Atari have 50% off (almost) everything from their own store:

Use the code atari50 at the checkout. Unfortunately the E-mail didn’t say when the offer expired. I received it late yesterday, so I’m assuming that it is valid for at least the weekend.

Excludes: Preorders, Start Trek Online, Puzzler World, Flashback 2 + Sacred 2, Fallen Angel, EVE Online, Sam & Max 2 and Project Runway.

• Premium User Badge James G says:

In response to trouble from LewieP trying to get this code to work I’ve tried myself as well and have had no success. Either it expired quickly, or Atari don’t bother to check customers regions before mailing out sale E-mails.

• Christian says:

Hmm..haven’t tried buying anything, but when I connect via a VPN with US-IP-address, it at least shows me on their homepage that there’s a promo going on (and the promo-code). So it seems it’s one of those region-locked things again?

Just tried adding something to the shopping-cart and applying the code, it did nothing to the price. Strange indeed..

• Premium User Badge James G says:

Looked around a few sites and found other people mentioning it, but only here of Savy Gamer where anyone is mentioning it not working. (Although granted I couldn’t find anyone saying they had actually used it either.)

I dropped a message to support, pointing out that the code didn’t work. I don’t honestly expect them to do anything, and I’m not entirely sure I’d use it anyway (Tempted by Mysteries of Westgate for £5 though) but I’m a bit annoyed that they are happy to spam all their customers with adverts that don’t even apply to them. (Not to mention not giving the terms and conditions, I mean no expiry date is a bit screwy.)

Should probably check my profile details and make sure they haven’t somehow flagged me up as an American.

2. jon_hill987 says:

I can’t recommend Toki Tori enough, I bought it on release (with the early bird discount) and after playing a few levels gifted a copy to my parents (who I thought would appreciate the cute puzzle game) Even at its regular price of £3.49 I think it is good value at this price it is worth a put if you don’t like puzzles or cute things (if you hate both you probably won’t enjoy it).

• hydra9 says:

I also bought Toki Tori on release. Still playing – still really enjoying it. I’ve got over 20 hours clocked so far, and some way to go. It was insanely cheap before and now even more so. Great post-release support from the developers too, with extra levels and that rewind feature. I think it’s one of the best puzzle games I’ve played.

• Alegis says:

Another recommendation here for Toki Tori.

With rewind added it’s time for me to give some more bonus levels a go

• Premium User Badge Lambchops says:

I’ll take those reccommendations – I don’t need much incentive to buy cute puzzle games.

3. Bruce Rambo says:

Why oh why is Dragon Rising deal of the week? It’s like you actually want people to play it :(

I haven’t played a buggier game since lords of the realm 3 where armies simply ran through your castle walls. I never managed to get out of the first mission despite giving it a full five hours of attention, and most of my time was spent battling with incredibly poor interface.

Honestly, I want my 17.99 back!

• Fumarole says:

Interesting, I’ve played through the first mission many times with no noticeable bugs, both singleplayer and multiplayer. What were you experiencing?

• Shalrath says:

Jesus, really? I beat the entire game in 5 hours. It wasn’t exactly bug free, but my god was it boring. I remember thinking what an epic battle it would be between Arma2 and codemasters game, but they aren’t even comparable. Every problem Arma2 has is simply worse in ‘OFP’ because there’s nothing but a theoretically slick interface.

I did get some bugs though – your AI hates following you anywhere. I did a good 80% of the game without them near me at all.

• Bruce Rambo says:

Things start off OKish, if clunky, but by the end of the session I was :
      * unable to scroll the map
      * unable to change weapons
      * unable to interact with bodies/vehicles
      * unable to order squad mates to heal me (as a side effect of No. 2)

And of course, the biggest non-bug that irked me – you can’t look around whilst driving! A fixed camera! There’s also the 64 ai entity limit (so big mission simply can’t happen), the hideous ai and the giant bloodclouds bigger than your target which arise when you actually manage to hit something through all the shaders.

The only high point was that the islands looked nicer than the ARMA2 ones. ARMA2 lacks rivers :(

And if this is FADE I want to know why it hit me when the physical copy and amazon receipt are on my shelf… and yes, my machine surpasses all the recommended requirements quite admirably.

4. TG says:

Not in the UK apparently… :(

5. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

And here comes my “No Love” comment again:
    NO LOVE FOR CONDEMNED: CRIMINAL ORIGINS for less than 3 EURO’s over at Gamersgate?

Not from me either, thou…I got newly released XIII instead :D

• LewieP says:

I would have included that had I noticed it.

You’d think with an offer that good, GamersGate would want everyone to know about it, but if you go to their homepage, I can’t see any mention of it.

I can see them trying to sell me a PDF guide for Oblivion, special offer at only £11.22…

Condemned is really great too.

• suibhne says:

I’ve wanted to play that game for, like, ever. I even considered a used copy on a console *shudder*. Thanks for posting it!

@Lewie: GamersGate is a mess to navigate – their site is about as unfriendly as could be. Even better, it’s more unfriendly than it *appears* to be. The sales are pretty consistently listed on this page, tho: http://www.gamersgate.com/offers

• invisiblejesus says:

They’ve also got the lowest price around for the Battlefield: Bad Company 2 limited edition, at least for NA customers ($41 and change), but they don’t seem to want anyone to find out. It’s funny, Gamersgate is arguably the best of the digital retailers in terms of the actual service they provide, but their awful web site and stupid PDF guides seem almost designed to draw the customer’s attention away from that. And really, do you know anyone who’d feel comfortable buying from a digital retailer who would actually pay for a game guide?

• MWoody says:

It’s like Gamersgate wants to keep their sales a secret. And this is AFTER a fairly recent site design, too.

• Premium User Badge Carra says:

@Lewie. I’ve also wondered about that. If steam or gog.com have a deal I’ll know by just looking at their front page. Gamersgate or Direct2drive? I really don’t want to browse your entire site to find a good deal.

• Vinraith says:

@Everyone

Gamersgate has an “offers” button in their top bar that shows you everything that’s on discount. D2D has a sales page as well. They’re not hidden.

It’s also worth noting that Gamersgate gives you 5% of the value of your purchase in store credit every time you buy something from them through their “blue coins” program. I’ve no idea why they don’t advertise that.

• invisiblejesus says:

The “offers” button is tiny, stuck up in the upper left hand corner of the page, and there’s nothing to draw attention to it. It’s there, sure, I don’t think anyone is saying that they literally hide their sales. They do a damn poor job of pointing them out, though, compared to the Steam or Impulse sites. When I go to the Steam site, there’s a list of recent news items that include weekend deals, midweek madness sales, and other bargains. On Impulse, there’s a big old window in the middle of the site clearly marked “On Sale”. Gamersgate would do well to emulate one or both of those sites. While they’re at it, they could stop flashing annoying ads for their stupid guides at me; I’m assuming they at least break even on them, so it probably wouldn’t be wise to stop selling them, but it’s foolish to waste space on the front page with ads for them when they could be using that space to call attention to actual games.

• Vinraith says:

@invisiblejesus

I’m not saying it shouldn’t be much better highlighted (I confess I find GG’s lack of business acumen somewhat charming but it’s not doing them any favors in sales). Lots of things about GG are great, and really need to be more clear to potential customers.

• Thermal Ions says:

I had a laugh and just shook my head when earlier this week I visited their contact page. They’ve gone and listed their contact email in the format “support [at] gamersgate.com” presumably in a pointless attempt to avoid email address harvesting – especially when the whole thing is a working mailto: link. That’s just one example to combine with their lack of a proper (or even half proper) forum, no obvious support ticket system, and distinctly vague help documents about how they operate their download/drm system that _for me_ leaves me lacking confidence and the willingness to deal with them.

I guess it’s good to have them around as competition for other digital distribution providers though.

6. meeper says:

Why did I not anticipate Hearts of Iron III being available so cheaply a mere six months after release? Sigh.

7. Doggy says:

Why just buy Flashpoint Dragon for £6 when for £25 you can get the “Philips AMBX Advanced Interactive Gaming Lighting System” from ebuyer which currently Includes Operation Flashpoint and TOCA Race Driver 3 for free…
    Linky here ebuyer. The silly lights are great. :)

8. Jon says:

CAPS LOCK IS INDEED ENGAGED, so um, which country can I live in to avoid VAT? Wouldn’t I need a full address for that place?

9. Premium User Badge Rinox says:

Football Manager 2010 is still 50% off on steam, might be worth putting in the list!

10. Radiant says:

Dear Internet
    Where is the cheapest place to buy battlefield bad company 2?

Love Radiant

I don’t mind either PC or 360 version.
    I’m a bit of a whore like that.

11. Blackberries says:

Damn, that indie strategy bundle looks tasty, but I already have AI War.. diminishes the value somewhat.

At that price I’m happy to get Toki Tori. Will also consider HoI III.

Cheers Lewie!

• Memphis-Ahn says:

Yeah, I have the same problem. It’s a great bundle, but I already have everything other than Solium Infernum (because, no matter what anyone says, I find it too expensive).
      Really wanted to get it after reading the RPS diaries, and probably would have bought this pack because of it if I hadn’t everything else already.

Ah well.

• Tacroy says:

I’m kind of in the same boat – I’d buy it if it didn’t have AI War and was priced accordingly. The demo just didn’t do it for me, but Solium Infernum and GSB look fun.

12. Po0py says:

Condemned. Gamersgate £2.50

13. piphil says:

Flock! looked interesting (and with a sheep-herding spaceship dubbed the “Mother Flocker” it should have been) but the reviews I read at the time suggest it’s too frustrating and broken an experience to bother with, even at this price.

• Premium User Badge AndrewC says:

It’s in no way broken. it is a solid, pleasant but unremarkable arcade puzzler. Everything about it screams ‘Competent!’ but never ‘inspired!’. It is a light, simple, borderline casual game

The frustration part, as far as I can tell, is that the UFO doesn’t move as fast as people would like. But just slow yourself down by, for example, being horribly hungover, and it provides avery nice untaxing few hours. It certainly got me through some painful Sundays.

Dunno where the broken stuff comes from.

14. ArtyFishal says:

Total Annihilation, and Core Contingencies – $9.99 Impulse

Hi Everyone!

I’ve been a long time reader, but have felt reticent to register or comment before as most of my opinions have usually been expressed by your editors or readers before I get the chance.

However, this is a piece of news I’ve been waiting for you to report on since Thursday, and I felt sure that if it hadn’t come earlier it would come today.

Apparently Impulse has this exclusively, and is maintaining multilayer servers and providing ongoing updates. For anyone who would like to see the genesis of SupCom, or Chris Taylor, or just play one of the best RTSs of all time this is a great buy.

I’m a US resident, and I don’t know if the deal is localized to the US or not. However, even for your US readers, this is news I feel is worth reporting.

Your my favorite games site, and I feel that your existence raises the bar for games journalism. I’m glad I’ve finally taken the plunge and registered.

15. Marty Dodge says:

From what I hear Global Agenda is not an MMO much really. Its an FPS that is continuous.

16. Premium User Badge Lambchops says:

Been playing a bit of Toki Tori. It is indeed rather good. I’m looking forward to getting onto the hard puzzles, the normal ones are satisfying enough and good for learning the mechanics but there hasn’t been too many moments so far where I’ve been left scratching my head for long. Usually it’s a case of “I wonder why they gave me this extra bridge . . . oh that’s why” and then a quick press of the rewind button.

Definitely reccommend this to anyone who likes puzzlers like Professor Fizzwizzle – as that’s the game that this has most brought to mind so far.

17. Ian says:

For those FOOLS among you who didn’t explore the Zavvi offer properly, it’s worth bearing in mind you can use it to get “101 Pony Pets” and two (count ‘em!) Pippa Funnell games.

You’re welcome.

18. MWoody says:

Why the hell won’t Arma 2 go on sale anywhere? I’ve been waiting to pick the game up for months now. It’s been out long enough I won’t pay full price, but there are still people I want to try playing co-op with out there. They’re sure to soon grow tired of it, though, and so will vanish my interest in the title.

Congratulations, guys. Priced yourself out of a sale.

19. GreyLord says:

Well, maybe not too obvious, but they have an “offers” page where they show all the current deals.

You can access it by clicking the second link from the top of the screen in the home page.

Or just go here: http://www.gamersgate.com/offers .

• Shalrath says:

Do they not update that Offers page much? It has a ‘pre-order’ for Dragon Age…

• Vinraith says:

@Shalrath

That’s for DA: Awakenings. They update the offers page daily, as they usually have at least on daily deal going.

• Shalrath says:

Ahh yes, sorry about that, i saw “Dragon Age:…” and skipped the last bit.

20. Donkeyfumbler says:

I think we’re alone now……………………..

• Donkeyfumbler says:

Dammit – someone removed that Tiffany spam – now I just sound like a loon.

21. GreyLord says:

[quote]

Anonymous Coward said:
    Or just go here: http://www.gamersgate.com/offers .

Well, I was talking about Gamersgate, don’t know why the reply got out of place…

22. terry says:

Oh snap, XIII and Condemned purchased before I even knew I wanted them. Was going to watch a film but I’ll watch the downloading bar instead. RPS is killing Hollywood!

• terry says:

And in a further twist of ironic fate, I can’t play XIII because….the DRM is preventing me. I can’t get my activation code from TAGES :-)

*smashes face repeatedly against wall*

• Vinraith says:

@terry

GG support is very good about DRM issues, drop them a line and I’m sure they’ll get you sorted out.

• terry says:

The thing is … I’m pretty sure its TAGES. And I hate speaking to TAGES support, I keep expecting them to kneecap me.

• l1ddl3monkey says:

Ditto: if I try and do it via the server the “remote client has terminated the connection” and if I try to use the HTTP download it just redirects me to a blank page. Sucks.

23. drewski says:

I’m pretty tempted by XIII for five of them there “US dollars” @ Gamers Gate.

24. A-Scale says:

What a rotten game Dragon Rising is. The demo alone was more than enough to turn me off even “finding” a copy of that game.

• kyrieee says:

I won’t buy it then

It’ll just be another one of those games you might as well never have spent money on

• A-Scale says:

I really wanted to enjoy it as a serious sim, but instead it just felt unpolished and crap. Go for ARMA 2. That also feels janky, but in a good way.

25. Mr Lizard says:

Meanwhile in rip-off news, HMV in the Trafford Centre has Tabula Rasa for £29.99.

• Heliocentric says:

Whee. Are you shopping of staff to be there at this ungodly hour?

26. Urthman says:

I’ve played Myst 1, 2, 3, & 4 and was planning to get around to Myst 5 and Uru someday. I’m tempted to grab Uru from GG. Anyone who’s played them think it matters whether I play Myst 5 first or not?

• malkav11 says:

Uru predates Myst V.

• Urthman says:

Oh, wow. Thanks. I guess I assumed that the MMO thing came out after all the other ones. Uru it is, then!

27. Heliocentric says:

Toki tori and flock for me. I’m not even much of a puzzle game fiend but nothing else tickles me. Dragon rising was really exciting to me at first as well, its kind of sad the game is so stifled.

• bookwormat says:

Not buying a game this weekend was not an option?

• Heliocentric says:

Don’t get me wrong, i enjoy puzzle games, but i won’t have squeezed the all fun juice out of these 2 for months because i only tend to play puzzle games in short bursts or the limitations of “right answer seeking” get annoying.

28. postmanX3 says:

Ah, the Indie strategy pack is looking really tempting right now. I’ve been considering buying AI War since forever, and Solium Infernum because of all the RPS coverage. But… I already have Gratuitous Space Battles and The Tribe.

I’d still save ten dollars…

29. Coren says:

After reading a few reviews I had decided to acquire a set of these amBX light thingies, but it turns out this store doesn’t ship outside of the UK. Does anyone know of a store that ships to mainland Europe and has similar prices? I’ve found the set on Amazon.co.uk for £25, but that one doesn’t include the games and shipping costs seem to be rather outrageous…

30. Jon says:

Just bought the indie strategy pack and lied to get round paying the VAT…. Then I got a notification email saysing my payment had not be processed properly and will have to be done by an actual human on Monday :ohnoes: do you think they will spot my deception?

31. Natus says:

I have RealMyst. Does Ryven play like that, or are they slides like the original? How is Uru different from the original Myst?

Thanks!

• Urthman says:

Riven is a slideshow like the original Myst, but with more video clips.

Myst III and IV allow you to look around in a 360 panorama in each spot, but you can only move from one fixed spot to another in discrete chunks like in Myst and Riven. These games use a lot more video clips, for animated scenes and live-acted characters.

Uru and Myst V are like RealMyst, taking place in a 3D environment rendered in real time and allowing free movement like in Quake.

32. Luke says:

I bought Evil Genius this weekend on Steam for £7! Bargain! A massive recomendation to a brilliant strategy game, and very happy to have it on my Steam library :)