Beta Blockers: Atmosphir

By Jim Rossignol on March 8th, 2010 at 4:41 pm.

Build-your-own platformer Atmosphir, which has been developed by Minor Studios for the past couple of years, has now reached a beta stage, and you can sign up over at the main site. The co-op and competitive multiplayer platforming looks pretty cute, but it’s the capacity to easily generate and then share your own levels that looks like the big idea. Of course we’ve seen this particular idea before on other platforms, but it’s good to see a fresh take the same kind of principles for the PC. Illustrative video below.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. phlebas says:

On the one hand it looks pretty ace. On the other hand the front page describes it as an adventure game. Grr.

2. Rob says:

Looks Awesome. Art style reminds me of Minecraft.

3. Jon says:

2 minutes of waffling on about movement and view controls, and explaining how to use a user interface like every user interface you’ve ever seen.

This might be the coolest thing ever, but the commentator has sent me to sleep.

4. yhancik says:

And I can’t help thinking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRc0zF-jGGQ :p

5. PixelCody says:

Looks very user friendly!

Not exactly on topic but this reminds me of the game creation tool that came out on Xbox-Live Arcade, Kodu. It was simple enough for kids to use but put a relatively powerful “programming” language in people’s hands to control interactions.

It even got a release on PC, Voila!

6. Mistabashi says:

Simple level editors are always fun, I just don’t see the actual gameplay of this being very interesting – it would be nice if they made it more ‘puzzle’ oriented, something like Lode Runner meets Time Fcuk in 3D would be awesome.

7. chaws says:

I’m hoping to use something like this for a public library ‘game creation’ event. If you’ve got any suggestions for similar software or existing games (low-violence, ideally) with intuitive level editors, I’m all ears. Thanks much!

8. Matt says:

I fiddled with this back when it was still in early beta (beta 1, I think), and even then it proved very easy to tinker with and create some pretty entertaining levels. It’s certainly one of the more intuitive editors I’ve ever used, so consider me sad that my original beta key no longer works. :(

The social networking and level depository they built around the software was pretty impressive, as I recall. The editor’s capabilities have expanded muchly in the last year or so, too. Hey, Minor Studios! Let me back in!

9. AtkinsSJ says:

Reminds me a lot of Costume Party, but CP is 2D and not as customisable. It’s free to play a lot of the levels though.

10. Wulf says:

I-I’m completely in love with the concept of this. It’s like LittleBigPlanet meets Minecraft meets Roguelike, it’s nuts! I really must play this, I need to, I have to know whether the game holds up to the stunning concept, because if it does… a game like this and a non-human avatar could probably keep me happy for many months. And I do love making things.

MUST. HAVE. BETA. NOW! (And that’s enough talking like Blunt for me.)

Good grief though, with this and stuff like Joe Danger, Shank, and Monaco on the horizon, I’m going to have more quality, creative, off the wall indies than I know what to do with!

I approve!

*scrambles off to the site.*

• Wulf says:

Annnnd the video on their front page displays a Tiger costume.

THEY’RE TAUNTING ME! D:

(Yes, you can bet I’m all signed up for this. This could very well be one of those games designed for someone with my exact mindset. Even watching videos of this makes me all kinds of happy.)

11. gribbit says:

Are levels modifiable at all during play? That is the entirety of Minecraft’s attraction for me — the ability to fiddle around with the world I’m running around in. This game is prettier, and it’s a lot closer to offering a decent platforming experience than is Minecraft, but it seems like a massive oversight to not to have an option (preferably with a few sub-options) for allowing players to change the world during play. If “it’s already in there,” then I’m sold, where’s my beta key?

• Wulf says:

That’s an interesting question. We saw that he could call up the level editor whilst playing, but does the level editor have to reset the level when playing?

I agree though, that’s part of the charm of Minecraft, and Minecraft is a beautiful thing for it.

I can add one thing, here, though and that’s that Atmosphir is free, as far as I know, so even when the beta’s over it should continue to be that way. There’s an item shop, there, though.

12. ninjadingo21 says:

I have it and love it :3

13. Ariel Rebel says:

It’s a great game! can’t wait til its open beta.