Mod News: Sourcey

By Lewis Denby on March 9th, 2010 at 2:54 pm.

Honestly, people: there is more than one game to make mods for. You wouldn’t know it from this week’s bunch, though. I’ve trawled the internet far and wide, and the vast majority of mod news from the past seven days has gravitated conspicuously towards a single title. Never mind, though, as some of it looks rather good. Onwards!

– This looks splendid. A Half-Life 2 mod, The Nightmare Chronicles actually seems like something produced via Psychonauts-meets-Tim Burton imagery. This mod has been going for a while, but I only just noticed via this week’s news update.

- Crazy HL2 mod GraviNULL, which released an alpha build last week, is preparing a beta with new game types and the like.

- The Dear Esther remake is half finished! And still looks absolutely, ludicrously gorgeous. I am convinced that, in a few months time, Robert Briscoe will laugh in all our faces and say, “What, you actually believed those were /screenshots/?” For example, Half-Life 2 mods don’t look like this.

- HL2 mod Kontroll releases a new vi… hang on! These are all HL2 mods! Again! Is no one making anything other than HL2 mods these days? Anyway, there’s a new in-game video here, over which people are arguing about the usefulness of text hints. I quite like them.

- Okay. Battlefield 2142 mod Revenge of the Fallen has released a new video. The team is also looking for new recruits, and is angry with the amount of people telling them off for using Battlefield 2 content in a 2142 mod, even though they have permission from EA and DICE.

- So, we did Desura at length the other day, but also of note is its position in the finals of the We Got Game competition at this week’s Game Developers Conference. In fact, the judging will probably be going on around about now. I, er, can’t actually find for the life of me what the prize is. But presumably something good.

- While we’re on Desura, here are some tasty quotes from Scott Reismanis that didn’t make the RPS interview.

- There’s quite a bit more, but it’s all HL2 related still, so I’ll try to condense. Zeitgeist updates with new screenshots. Overgrown: The Unknown announces its existence. Visage reminds everyone how pretty it’s looking. And…

- …Actually, this might be worth a bullet point of its own. Half-Life 2: Episode Two Enhansed (sic) (ugh, I know) adds a load of new particle effects and other such gumph into the Ep2 engine. It actually looks rather nice.

More, as always, on UserCreated.

« »

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Luomu says:

It’s actually “Enhased”.

Okami says:

What a lot of people don’t know is, that the word “enhased”, like many words in the english language, actually has german roots. “Hase” is the german word for “Rabbit”, so “enhased” literally means “with added rabbits”. Since everything that has rabbits in it is automatically better than the same thing without rabbits, the word has become a synonyme for “better”.

• Pace says:

Wait, is that just a joke? Enhased is a word in the English language?

Stense says:

That is true. Watership down was rubbish until it had the rabbits added.

• Matzerath says:

The Internet, condensed into three comments.

• Pace says:

I worry about what segment that makes me.

• A-Scale says:

The stupid one, Pace.

• Pace says:

I get it was a joke, I’ve just never heard enhased before nor do I understand the connotation. (it is the name of the mod.) Sheesh.

2. DJ Phantoon says:

No I think it’s Enhamsed.

AndrewC says:

Also, it’s ‘gumf’. Google ‘gumph’, young man, and then buck up your ideas!

Tsk!

4. Leelad says:

*ponders the words…Black and Mesa*

Will that thing ever see the light of day? The trailer they released was stunning I don’t see why we can’t at least see a beta build. most of it HAS to be done now :(

• Truther says:

Black Mesas release will conincide with the release of Episode 3, so do not expect to see it for a long time.

Also, while I found Dear Boring, to be boring I can not deny that the remake looks stunning. I did not think the Source engine was capable of such things.

5. DuckSauce says:

I might be moving GraviNULL to UDK, then there’s just one less HL2 mod! Does that please you? :P

6. Rohit says:

I didn’t care much for Dear Esther, but I definitely want to try out the remake.

7. DJ Phantoon says:

What is this sourcery?

Down Rodeo says:

@DJ Phantoon: I come here with the express point of making this pun but the Rock, Paper Readership has already made it. Aw.

8. Ricc says:

Why Sou-rcerious? Hmm?

Nope… Doesn’t work.

9. DXN says:

Holy shit the DE remake looks amazing. The rest also look interesting, and great! And other adjectives!

10. Wulf says:

…still obsessing over that updated Dear Esther. It looks simply amazing, and the person behind it is a true artiste. Valve, this is a modder you need to pick up, but wait for him to finish this, first! Please!

11. Doug F says:

Wisq –

Wouldn’t that be your dose of pedantry for the day, rather than pedantism?

12. Baltech says:

Is there any word on a new Action Half-Life? I’m itching for the good old times of akimbo colt 1911 diving headshots…

13. Hobbes says:

Dear Esther was interesting enough that I didn’t mind the terrible scenery and slightly broken level design, but Briscoe’s remake just looks fantastic. It’s going to be amazing.

@Truther
    Black Mesa doesn’t have a release date. I don’t know where you get your ‘Episode Three’ date, but it’s not true. The only solid info is from RabidMonkey saying it “will be finished when it’s finished, and it’s pretty close,” and Raminator, saying (somewhere) that they’d release it this year or go mad.

Check out their wiki, it’s full of juicy mediazz.

14. Dominic White says:

“The team is also looking for new recruits, and is angry with the amount of people telling them off for using Battlefield 2 content in a 2142 mod, even though they have permission from EA and DICE.”

The internet, despite being a largely textual medium, seems to breed a lot of illiterate people. Or, at least, people who can write but not read. This plague even befalls RPS from time to time – in the ‘Activision shuts down King’s Quest fan-sequel’ thread, a lot of people completely ignored the repeated fact that Vivendi/Sierra had actually given them a license to create the game, and instead just raged about how much they were ‘stealing’.

15. Cpt. Sqweky says:

I’m curious. Do you use parenthesis instead of brackets for “[sic]” in Britain?

16. l1ddl3monkey says:

Briscoe is a mapping/texturing/polygon thingy making God among men.

Anyone who ever saw the video for the level he did for Nuclear Dawn, or has gotten lost and then shot in the face because in his CS forest map knew this long ago. I’m actually glad he hasn’t made this a mod with combat in it because I’d die a lot for the simple fact that I will be wandering around Dear Esther just goggling at the scenery rather than trying to avoid getting killed.

17. Tim James says:

I’m glad you guys are at least acknowledging that the mod news articles are all Source junk. The last time I checked out the single player scene under Half-Life 2, I was pretty underwhelmed. I hope this next batch is better.

Perhaps we could make a rule that Dear Esther updates are only allowed once in every two Mod News features?

18. Resin says:

I thought this HL2 was quite interesting…also from MODDB:

19. Stupoider says:

Christ on a bike, the DE remake is SEXY!

But I don’t mind the original. :) As long as the main skeleton of the mod, that being the story, dialogue and voice acting, remains, it could be in 8-bit and I’d still play it.

20. Shadrach says:

Nightmare Chronicles looks great, I love everything Burton-esque.

21. daypitoum says:

That Dear Esther update is simply astonishing. One of the most impressive mods i’ve ever played and a mind blowing experience overall… can’t wait for the release.

22. Mark [Desura - ModDb] says:

Hey,

Thanks for the Desura Pimipage. The GameBeat comp is a chance for 5 start ups to pitch their ideas infront of vc’s and angle investors. Desura made the short list (from 33 entry’s) and we get to present today.

If you want to come see it (and have a gdc pass) its in room 305 (Moscone south) at 5.15 today.

23. Urthman says:

Mr. Denby,

If you’re going to make this column a regular thing, it would be cool if you could clearly mark your links as THESE ARE MODS YOU CAN DOWNLOAD AND PLAY RIGHT NOW THEY ARE COOL TRY THEM vs THIS SITE JUST POSTED SOME NEW SCREENSHOTS OF THEIR WEAPON MODELS TAKE A LOOK AT SOMETHING THAT MIGHT BE COOL SOMEDAY.

Cause I’m a whole lot more interested in the first category than the second.