The Consumer Friendly Ghost: Caster Ep 2

By Kieron Gillen on March 9th, 2010 at 9:18 am.

This is almost certainly a screenshot from episode 1. I'm terrible, me.

Caster, the game which Jim went all out on the hyperbole and claimed the jumping was quite good, has returned with a new episode. Which is splendid news for previous fans of jumping and/or spellcasting – I too am a fan of Caster’s devotion to the jump – mainly because if you bought the last episode, this episode (and all further ones) will be free. Crikey. So if you throw down your $5 now, you get two games instead of one. Certainly motivation to try the first game’s demo. Footage follows…

, , , , .

1. Jim Rossignol says:

It’s probably worth pointing out that the jumping is quite good. Other stuff, less so.

• Bhazor says:

But just how good is the jumping?

• Clovis says:

My much younger brother (14) is a gamer in the sense that he plays XBox 360 all day. However, that’s mostly MW2. So, when I tried to show him how the jumping in New Super Mario Bros was “quite good” it didn’t go over very well. I somehow thought that platforming was something that people just naturally understood.

I believe his final opinion of Mario, and platformers generally, was that they are “gay”.

• SquareWheel says:

@Clovis: Your brother’s gay.

• Okami says:

@Clovis: Have you tried beating him with a strap? I’ve hear that helps..

• Clovis says:

Ah, come one, give him a break. He plays MW2 on XBox Live all day, what do you expect? I’m just glad he doesn’t constantly t-bag the cat.

• Okami says:

As is the cat, I’d guess…

• Bhazor says:

UR brother is MR GAY.

2. Vague-rant says:

I remember playing the demo ages ago and it was awesome arcadey fun. I didn’t buy it though for some reason or another but now that episode 2 has been released I think I will (although I’ll wait for the eidos week to run its course before committing)…

1 thing though, I seem to recall being able to level your abilities fairly quickly in the demo (presumably the whole episode saw you max out everything fully); so does this just add levels, or more abilities too?

• ZamFear says:

@Vague-rant
      Just more levels, but the maxed-out abilities were taken into account when designing them, so there’s still some challenge.

• Vague-rant says:

Thanks, its good to know.

To all the people who said it’s boring, try the demo out. It might change your mind once you get access to the various weapons.

3. Plagiarism says:

I also enjoyed the demo, the jumping and the ability to sprint up vertical surfaces.

I remember that you could raise/lower the lanscape with some weapons could drop the trundling woodlice-things into the lava by shooting at the ground and then standing on the other side of the resulting hole. They were very single-minded.

4. Bonedwarf says:

God that looks boring.

5. Dan says:

Yeah, it looks a bit dull. I’m enjoying the early-PS2-quality graphics though, in a nostalgic way.

6. Clovis says:

This reminds me of Minecraft’s Beta offer. You get to play the game as it develops through beta, get the full version, and get all future expansions to it.

7. RogB says:

looks more fun speeded up (0:46 onwards)

8. hydra9 says:

Bonedwarf and Dan: You could always check out the demo. In my opinion, Caster is a hell of a lot of fun to play, and well worth the $5.

9. Tei says:

The demo has some Magic Carpet air to it…

10. Blather Blob says:

Yay! I’m being lazy and waiting for Steam to start offering the update, but I understand that those less patient can just download the update from the site and install it over top of Steam copies.

The thing I like most about the promises of Caster’s Episode 2 is that it adds support for mods. There have been a surprising number of new levels and even new enemies/characters released for Caster, but they were a bit of a pain to use (you had to replace the original data files). So hopefully this will lead to even more mods and levels, and make them more easily installed.

11. l1ddl3monkey says:

The jumping in this is nowhere near as good as the jumping in Lugaru. That had jumping like I’ve never seen before or since.

12. MadTinkerer says:

You want to try being a programmer and a 3D artist? THIS IS AN INDIE GAME

13. MadTinkerer says:

Anyway, as someone who beta tested the update, I can say that the update is pretty good. Now I’m just waiting for Steam to update so I can play the final-tweaked version.

The new levels include a bunch of tougher creatures (which shouldn’t be too much trouble if you put enough points into your favorite attack powers) and a few new mechanics, such as a very interesting take on the standard escort mission and nega-orbs which mess with your powers.

And once again, it’s $5 or FREE if you already bought it.

14. Bhazor says:

I have to say that it is a pretty fun arcade game, well worth the £3.52ish they’re asking.

15. Zeus says:

Another day, another indie game you guys have convinced me to buy.

16. PaulMorel says:

Any word on whether or not this will work for STEAM purchasers?

I like this game a lot. Thank god you can mute the soundtrack.

• Blather Blob says:

@PaulMorel: The update isn’t live on steam yet, but it will be. In the meantime you can download the update patch and stick it over a steam copy manually. The author very much supports the Steam version, though — he’s switched to using the Steam Forums as his game’s official forums, and said again yesterday that the steam update is coming. He also says he’s looking forward to trying to get the mac version into the new Mac Steam.

17. Krikey! says:

I actually quite liked the game up until the point when terraforming was introduced. I just didn’t like the way terrain raised and lowered – It was too cumbersome. Granted, blowing huge gaping holes in the ground never gets old, but raising terrain is another story altogether.

However, the game is only $5, so if you can overlook that, I highly recommend this. It’s really just old school platforming fun.