Fable III To Reach PC?

By John Walker on March 12th, 2010 at 9:49 am.

Heading our way?

Rumours are afoot that Fable III may be making its way to the PC. During Lionhead head Peter Molyneux’s GDC chat with Gamespot yesterday, he referred to “platforms” for the new game in the plural, and that doesn’t really leave a lot of options. The Microsoft-owned developer is not particularly likely to aid their competition with a PS3 or Wii version (although you’d have to think a Wii port of the Fable series would be a 400ft golden egg-laying goose made of diamonds), which leaves the PC as the only viable Microsoft-supported place for the game to be. The original Fable made it to the PC after a lengthy delay, although Fable II stayed exclusively on the wheezing white crate. You can see him drop the hint on the video we’ve tucked in below. And even more clues too.

The relevant moment starts after the fourth minute, for those wanting to skip ahead.

VG247 points out another clue. According to Blues News yesterday, a job posting appeared for the Fable developers that was then quickly edited. It originally read that the job:

“involves converting and maintaining the network code of the Xbox 360 version of this game to the PC, and enabling the Xbox 360 version and the PC version to play together.”

Will Natal be involved? What sort of integration between games are they intending to create? Eh? Of course, this is Peter Molyneux, so this information could more appropriately be interpreted to mean that the game is going to be a Sega Megadrive exclusive, where you play as a beam of light trapped in a pillow. In Cantonese.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. James G says:

That looks just like my character from Dragon Age. If Jora’s been taking a role in another game while waiting for awakenings I’m not going to be happy with him.

2. Heliocentric says:

Wh- can we have fable 2 then?

I bet the other platform is zune.

• Vague-rant says:

Yeh, I’m still pretty peeved over not getting to play Fable 2 (I’m just a poor pc gamer sadly). Then hearing lots of positive reviews just twisted the knife.

It would seem weird though, being able to play Fable 1 and 3 but Fable 2 remaining on the 360. (I get they’re not linked via a narrative but the series would feel incomplete)

• jackflash says:

You didn’t miss out on anything. Fable 2 is one of the shittiest games I have ever played. I ebayed it in disgust the day I wasted my time to actually finish it. The original Fable is one of my favorites of all time, though.

• jsutcliffe says:

Fable 2 is not shit, it’s just RPG lite and the story’s a little weak. Its world is pretty enchanting though, and I enjoyed it enough to sink about sixty hours into it over the course of two playthroughs.

I love aesthetic character customization (“playing with dollies” as my wife puts it), and the clothing options you have in Fable 2 are extremely generous.

• DrGonzo says:

I didn’t think it was shit either. Just a bit wobbly. Felt like they were experimenting a lot with it and it didn’t really work. Now Fable 3 seems to be coming out very soon after, almost like this will be the finished product.

• Spacewalk says:

Nah, Fable 2 wasn’t shit, it just wasn’t a PC game.

3. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

The best thing in that video: “The longer you hold down that button, the more it builds up” “So if you want a thermo nucleair explosion, hold that button down for half an hour”

• westyfield says:

“God knows what will happen!”

But Peter… you ARE god!
      /sarcasm

4. Heliosicle says:

Something about his enthusiasm annoys me, maybe its the fact that everything he’s ever done has sounded WAY cooler than it has been….

• Nick says:

Only since Black & White, before that it was gold.

Mostly.

• jsutcliffe says:

@Nick

Indeed — I would love him (or someone) to remake Powermonger, or do a good Populous successor.

• Jeremy says:

Black and White was one of the bigger disappointments in my experience… except for the time my creature pooped on a boulder sending it crashing through my village. I couldn’t even discipline him, it was just way too hilarious.

• Wulf says:

Actually, I don’t recall him being that bad with the first Black & White, either. It was certainly building, sure, and one could easily tell that he was looking over a slippery precipice rather than a slope, but many of the things they talked about for the original Black & White they actually got in there.

It was around the era of the first Fable and Black & White 2 that things got out of hand, when Peter started his massively enthusiastic “OMG!” rants. I remember him enthusing over how one would be able to live a complete life in Fable, or how there would be realistic troop tactics in Black & White 2. He was never that bad around the era of Black & White 1, or before. I admit, he always considered his projects his children, he always had that about him, even in the Bullfrog days, but at some poitn post Black & White, his ego exploded and grew to about a billion times its original size.

Shame, really.

lhzr says:

i don’t quite understand something. why would pc gamers be interested in button mashing corridor rpgs, when pretty much EVERY rpg that comes out for the pc is better than this ?

fable 1 was one of the worst rpgs i’ve ever played. it was so bad that instead of fable 1/2/etc i’d rather play venetica (which i haven’t touched since it’s from deck13, the makers of some of the most uninspired adventures ever).

• Billy Bob says:

Fable was one of the best RPGs I’ve ever played, right alongside KotOR. And no invisible dice rolls, thank God!

• Wulf says:

Actually, Fable II was a pretty pleasing — if stunningly average and linear — RPG. I remember having a number of happy moments with it, and relatively enjoying it right up until just before the end.

There were really only two gripes I had with it:

1. The co-op was shit. Really shit. Really, really shit. Shame.
      2. The ending was horrible.

In regards to the ending I mean the ludicrous reactions to one of the choices taken. [Spoilers follow.] The character’s dog is killed, basically, a dog that had been instrumental to his heroic acts, saving the realm, and whatnot. And there are three choices at the end:

1. Do good things for your greedy, avarice-ridden friends.
      2. Do good things for your greedy, avarice-ridden self (money).
      3. Reward the dog with life anew for his efforts.

I opted for 3, it seemed the obvious choice.

Except then everyone starts going on about what a selfish bugger I am for doing that, and I’m just a bit dumbfounded by how blind and greedy all the characters were. It just left me feeling like I was the only good guy in that world, and the other so-called heroes really weren’t all that good at all. It wasn’t a high-note to the end of the game, for me, and it left me feeling pretty sour toward it.

• jsutcliffe says:

@Wulf

Don’t forget the awful “undo” button of the resurrection shrine on knothole island, for people who let their dog die but weren’t ready to accept the consequences. That was a pretty cowardly design decision.

6. DJ Phantoon says:

Luckily, no one will be disappointed this time, because no one is dumb enough to believe his ridiculous promises.

7. WTF says:

Fair enough…but would anyone care?

Fable was a pretty dire game and Fable 2 looked equally as over-hyped and under-developed.

Molyneux lost the plot years ago and I kinda wish people would stop stroking his e-peen by reporting on all the crap he talks as well as the crap he peddles.

• Heliocentric says:

I enjoyed fable, i wish you had more impact on the world though. From what i heard thats the main thing the improved for fable 3.

8. Cinnamon says:

My guess is that he is thinking about the 360 and 360 + Natal as separate platforms as I have heard that Microsoft are almost handling like a new platform launch. PC isn’t a platform for games, you silly bears, the chairs are not anywhere near as comfortable as sofas so who would want to play games on a PC.

• Jad says:

I think you have a very good point here. There have been a number of times where Microsoft people off-handedly said “the next Xbox platform” and journalists went into a “Xbox 720 announced!” frenzy only for it to turn out to be Natal.

However, this might be Microsoft breaking their “No More PC Games” rule to try to get us to buy a Natal for our PCs — it could even be Natal-only for the PC.

9. Gnarl says:

That would be nice if true. The first game was a tad dull, but the second looked significantly more fun. I was always a bit disappointed it never appeared on PC, though there were similar rumors that it would.

10. sigma83 says:

Can we please continue to call it the wheezing white crate?

In fact, can every mention on the site be retroactively changed to wheezing white crate?

• SuperNashwan says:

I don’t think I’m going to be able to think of it as anything other than the Wheezing White Crate from now on.

11. Kerome says:

Oh cmon, whatever you may think of Molyneux, Fable 2 was a very decent game and actually a surprisingly hardcore numbers-based RPG under the hood, though it was a bit “loose” in places.

Chances are fable 3 will be a very decent game, if they don’t get too carried away pursueing emotional aspects in gameplay.

• wazups2x says:

Fable 2 wasn’t hardcore at all, it was super casual game. It was the easiest game I have ever played in my life. I didn’t die once or even get close to dying. It’s basically the complete opposite of Dragon Age: Origins.

• Rich says:

I don’t think you can die. You didn’t in Fable, you just got incapacitated for a second or so.

As for Fable 3, it’s already been confirmed as having no health bars at all, and you definitely can’t die.

• bowl of snakes says:

you get permanent scars when you get knocked out, now thats pretty hardcore!

• McCool says:

“Casual”, “Hardcore” …really now? Do these terms really mean anything outside of a frothing-bile-at-the-mouth 4chan toy-throwing match? Or a marketing department’s powerpoint presentation?

IE, do they mean anythin in the real world? Of course they don’t.

Games is games, yo.

12. Ravenger says:

Wouldn’t surprise me if Fable III was digital download only for the PC to push the GFWL games on demand service. I can’t see any other reason Microsoft would suddenly decide to release first party games on the PC given that they got out of PC game development and publishing to concentrate on the 360.

13. wazups2x says:

I’d be very surprised if this made it to the PC since Microsoft has something against PC gaming.

14. merc says:

One of the most shallow, bland, poorly written, easy and dull RPG franchises ever created.

• Lars Westergren says:

@merc

Agreed – and yet they have explained at conferences that Fable 2 was too “hardcore” since investigations have shown that 60% of the (presumably drooling idiot) players who played it didn’t understand the super-complex RPG mechanics. So they have announced that Fable 3 will distance itself from the RPG label and be further simplified and “streamlined” FOR MAXIMUM PROFIT!

• Subject 706 says:

@Lars Westergren

What you said. Why Molyneaux is still hailed as some sort of creative genius is beyond me. Hey! Making a franchise easier and shallower with each iteration is nothing of the sort.

Molyneaux lost his creative genius a loooong time ago.

• Sonic Goo says:

@Subject 706

Because he’s the only one who can spell his name correctly. :P

15. Vadermath says:

Bah, I don’t give a rat’s arse, honestly. Dear ol’ Pete has been making promises quite in accordance with his God complex for a while now, and has never failed to fail to deliver. Whilst the console kiddies wait for this, I’ll be busy scanning the horizon for Fallout: New Vegas, TES V, Jagged Alliance 3, Mass Effect 3, and just about every other kind of game that might actually be entertaining.

• Subject 706 says:

Mmmmm, Jagged Alliance 3. With the IP recently obtained by a german company, that has stated that it will be turn-based and stick close to the formula of the older games, we might actually NOT get a ‘streamlined’ monstrosity of a sequel.

Here’s to hoping.

• Nick says:

Oh, thanks for putting that on my radar. Damnit, 2011 =(

16. Grunt says:

Sigh. I remember the days when Molyneaux used to be known for GOOD games. Since Black & White he’s been progressively revolutionising mediocrity.

I have exactly and precisely zero interest in Fable 3.

• rocketman71 says:

Totally this (sorry jsutcliffe).

My only curiosity is.. Will trees grow this time?

17. lhzr says:

so we’ve established that fable is mostly bad.

what to make of this, then? http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r_fable_x

18. Alphabet says:

Fable I was fun, I thought. But Fable II was the worst game I have ever bought. Worse than Valhalla on the Spectrum. Fable II’s blend of twee, renaissance-faire Britishness and endless button-mashing mini-games, its tiny play-zones, its on-tracks gameplay (even if you turned off the robot-pathlights), the sort of voice acting you’d expect from new busboys at Rick Stein’s, and its agonisingly obvious plot* contributed to my giving away my 360. It’s that bad.

*maybe the plot improved after a few hours, but nah, probably not. I’ll never know.

19. Michael says:

I’d have to disagree with you there. He hasn’t made anything with excellent gameplay since Dungeon Keeper 2. Black and White was the start of his whole binge with “emotional” gameplay with those giant pets. In terms of plot, Molyneaux has never made a particularly good game which is amazing considering how long he’s been in the business.

• Foamer says:

He wasn’t involved with DK2, just the original. So it’s even worse…

• Bremze says:

I have to disagree, Black and White was a brilliant although flawed game that I’d love to see remade removing a little bit of the tedious micromanagement.

Fable was fun for a hack and slash. Exploration and solving puzzles was rewarding even though the game was quite easy. Now Black and White 2 was a horrible game removing almost everything that made the original great and I haven’t played Fable 2.

• Michael says:

@Bremze Well, you’re entitled to your opinion. If you really liked Black and White, I would recommend you try out Populous. Personally, it was too repetitive for me since all I had to do was fireball the enemy towns one by one.

Concerning Fable, I don’t know why Molyneux, a man known for creating games with unique gameplay, suddenly decided he wanted to make an RPG. It’s a bit insulting. The least he could have done was hire a competent writer. Every time he harps on about making the player feel emotionally involved, I wonder how he can miss something so obvious. You can’t grow emotionally attached to a world filled with faceless morons. A world which merely shrugs when you massacre an entire village and simply spawns more villagers. Still, I haven’t played the second one, so I can’t comment on that one.

20. mrmud says:

I like fable 2.
    Sure there are plenty of stupid things in it such as the emote system and all that marriage stuff (it had no emotional weight because you couldnt really have a relationship to speak of with anyone of the npcs that you met). But there were enough good things in it to make it very enjoyable none the less.

lhzr says:

emote system? is that how they called the ability to wave at people and fart?

• Michael says:

Honestly, I always wondered why the Fable games made you mute, but Molyneux and co. never bothered to explain why. It always felt like a missed story opportunity. Why not have the trauma of your parents murder render you mute? For Fable 2, why not have the Big Bad slit your throat before tossing you out the tower window? It certainly adds another layer to your large oafish avatar acting like a prat and provides a constant reminder of the injustice done to you.

21. Persus-9 says:

This makes sense to me if it’s a Natal exclusive. Right now Microsoft need to give developers a reason to develop games for Natal rather than Move. Natal has at least been strongly implied as coming to PC so it seems like if they can get Natal to be adopted as a common input device on PC as well as 360 then that will widen the market for games developed for Natal and that will encourage developers to focus on developing for Natal rather than the competition.

Alternatively if Microsoft can sell the Natal hardware at a profit then there’s money to be made from end users and if they can license the software side necessary to make games communicate with Natal then there’s money to be made from developers and the economic model for a Natal equipped PC starts to look a lot more like that of a console.

22. Diogo Ribeiro says:

Fable 3: Feel the boys.

23. McCool says:

Fable is one of those mysterious games that people seem to get really, really angry about. Why exactly I’ll never know ..is it because its traditionally been an Xbox Exclusive? I guess a lot of people bought into the hype and then were disapointed..but isn’t that our fault for getting hyped up about a media release of any sort?

The scary part is when people get angry at Molyneaux for being enthusiastic about his games. That sort of reaction makes me not want to make games. =/

Personally I thought Fable was poorly executed but Fable II was the most exciting RPG I’d played since Morrowind. Unless you approach it wanting Zelda, in which case its an awful game. But if you wanted Zelda, you’d go and play Zelda …right?

• ecurtz says:

Corruptio optimi pessima
      People hate on Fable so much because Molyneux made some truly groundbreaking and terrifically fun games before he bought into his own hype machine. That decline, which started to show in Black and White, was crystal clear with Fable. He promised, literally, the world and delivered a below average console RPG. The promises were about damaging a tree by the side of the road and returning to the area years later to see the grown tree with a shattered limb. The reality was there were two or three completely binary moral decisions which had nothing to do with your play to that point and changed the pre-scripted endings.

24. jameskond says:

I have loved both Fable and Fable 2. Fable 2 more so then Fable 1, it was less linear and let you buy any building you wanted, that such an awesome concept!
    And They’ll probably port over Fable 2 soon if they’re going to port over Fable 3 ;)

25. Erik says:

It may be possible to embed a very strong DRM system into a Windows box, if the game also requires proprietary hardware to play … particularly if the hardware is designed by the makers of Windows. The hardware could provide part of the decryption.

26. l1ddl3monkey says:

I really enjoyed Fable II on my Hecks Bawks even though the frame rate had an annoying habit of suddenly plummetting to about 6fps and occasionally the sound dropped out of sync. I’d definitely play III on my PC because that cost about 5 times what my eeeeeeks box did and performs accordingly.

27. Peanut says:

I think Peter needs to get the IP for Dungeon Keeper back and actually make a decent game that doesn’t need hype to pull a crowd.

Would be a dream come true to see a Dungeon Keeper 3 that kept true to its roots.

28. neolith says:

I’d rather have a new Powermonger or Dungeon Keeper… :(

29. robrob says:

Do they call you chicken chaser cause you chase chickens?

Sagan says:

Ignore all the haters. This is great news. Thank you Microsoft!

Because when a franchise that received almost universal praise returns to PC, hate is just not appropriate.

31. Finn says:

I’m still pretty pissed that Lionhead (and Microsoft) just basically took a massive dump on PC players and didn’t even bothered to port the game (Fable II) for the PC. They can keep their consoles and Fable III, i’m not buying any more games developed by Lionhead.

@neolith: DK 3 is one of my dream games, up there with 3d support for Dwarf Fortress…

• neolith says:

Yeah, one should think that with all the recent TowerDefense games and software like Evil Genius they should have more than enough references to be able to come up with something fun for a new DK.

32. tmp says:

It’s pretty sad when you hear a renowned game designer say you absolutely need a combat expert guy to come up with this outrageous idea to like, take a look at combat-oriented games to see what the combat in your own game could/should involve.

33. Po0py says:

That OP got me thinking. At a long shot, Microsoft could make Natal compatible with Games For Windows. That would blow the entire waggle party this holiday season apart and give every PC owner in the world a cheap way to play Natal games. Fable 3 would have the Natal integration and the easy Facebook and Twitter integration that was talked about. On PC it seems like a perfect mesh. It also might give people an excuse to actually want to have GFW installed on their system. Might
    But it would be criminal to not give us Fable 2 first.

34. Bhazor says:

Hooray! More games!

35. DrGonzo says:

I’m betting he meant platforms as in, Natal and 360 without Natal.

(Noo damnit that was the right CAPTCHA!!)

36. FRIENDLYUNIT says:

I want to be offended and snub them for not releasing 2 on PC… but I’m still not mad at them for not rushing 1 to an early release and not making it a buggy console port.

Hmm.

37. Bleh says:

I tried to play Fable 2, when I got the Xbox. I was really looking forward to it, but am I the only one who got bugged by the very very poor framerate? It actually really took the enjoyment away from this.