Nine Minutes Of APB

By Jim Rossignol on March 13th, 2010 at 12:23 pm.

Filmed off a screen at GDC, sadly, but it’s accompanied by game director Dave Jones talking through the various features. He talks about the way the two factions have different abilities and aims, the way characters weapons and cars can be upgraded, how players can become “famous” within the game world, and how the ranking and matchmaking work within the game world. All interesting stuff, although it’s tough to gauge if there will be any long-term appeal in all this. Also, whoever is driving the car in this video needs more practice… The video is via GameSpot’s archive of GDC stuff, and Pat gave us the tip off, because he is news.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. NDA Man says:

I haven’t played in my beta slot since November/December (they keep running beta times at times i can’t make, ever since the xmas break).

I hope i get to play again soon (beta on again tonight but i can’t make it) because i’m sure they have changed a LOT since then. They are a very quick bunch when it comes to tweaks and bug fixes.

This game is gonna be great, but as you mentioned, i’ve no idea how the long term potential will go. Hard to tell until the game is released. I would compare it to Bad Company 2 or MW2 though, those kind of FPS games where you play as a team and unlock new weapons and such. It will probably have a similar lastability because at the core of the game it is basically the same idea. Work as a group (or solo if you like), unlock new stuff, etc.

The kind of thing MMOs do to keep people playing, but on a smaller scale.

2. yarp-yarp says:

Is this ever coming out? I applied for the beta months ago, it was supposed to have come out around now they were saying back then. Been waiting for this game for years!

KindredPhantom says:

It will come, just be patient. RealTimeWorlds are doing a good job so far and if their current trend continues the final product will be worth the wait.

3. Helm says:

Gameplay looks very unimpressive but it might be down to the ineptness of the person playing.

4. Sp4rkR4t says:

The driving isn’t the player’s fault, it’s all the down to the games handling.

Twitter Steam Google Profile

5. Uhm says:

Not having any sound doesn’t help. But it did seem surprisingly dull.

6. +--JAK--+ says:

The vehicles look really floaty

7. Finn says:

I’m in the beta, there’s a server stress test tonight, hope it’s decent enough.

8. terry says:

Looks pretty sassy – like SA:MP but more robust. I hope it captures that spirit with the caveat that it doesn’t attract the complete dickends that frequent SA:MP and that its actually feasible to get around on foot without getting repeatedly ganked by suicidal SUVs.

9. Metalfish says:

Wow. That player is completely useless.

• Jayt says:

I know, I can’t get the vid working : /.

• Jason says:

Pretty sure he meant the retard that was driving the blonde girl. :)

• El Stevo says:

@ Metalfish:

If his hands hadn’t come into the shot every now and then I’d have assumed it was the guy talking playing with his back to the screen.

• Jayt says:

After finally getting that shitty player working, I see what he meant

10. Tei says:

I am going to take a screenshot of the game. And run that shot in Photoshop, and apply the filter “Gaussian blur” until is just a big brown blur. And I will take this exact #RGB value for the color of both my skin and my gear. I will be brown. And I will get the best hitscan weapon availble, and the most obnosius noobtube, and mines and remote charges dinamite, and the better sniper rifle, and I will find the hidden tank, and the hidden Apache, and I will detonate the nuclear explosion to trigger a serverside mass killstreak.

This is all.

• invisiblejesus says:

Tei, whatever you’ve been drinking/smoking/shooting up, I must have some. I demand it.

• Alastayr says:

Tei, please, please become a professional games writing person. I need more of your insights, I crave them. You are a god amongst men.

11. Adz says:

Lmao, the driving was terrible, but I couldn’t stop laughing when she got run over. Class!

12. Demon Beaver says:

Does anybody know if this will be a subscription-based game, or just single payment?

• Epsz says:

They said, ver clearly, an imprtant number of times, thet the model will not be subscription based. As far as I know, they didn’t sat what it would be. I’m guessing, pay once for the game, micropayments for extra missions nad stuff, similar to Turbine games’ model.

KindredPhantom says:

I think it would be paid for by using micro-transactions for stuff like in-game items etc. Similar to the Battlefield Heroes model, though i’m not sure if i would be happy if they used such a model.

13. The Diddler says:

Don’t know if want :/

14. crank says:

Beta is not good :(

15. Nakki says:

God I hate having a daily quota in my internet use. Will take until monday before I can try this out.

16. the wiseass says:

Two things:

1. That guy looks like a deer that got caught in a car’s headlights.
    2. The video was kind of unsatisfying. I dunno, I was expecting more from this game :(

17. Stenl says:

I found this game so boring that I don’t even think I am going to reinstall it for the new round of beta testing.

18. Fumarole says:

The concept is great, but the execution in that video looks kinda meh.

19. The Great Wayne says:

Wrong PR move with this one, it’s too badly done to attract positive attention. Dammit, this game looked so great a year ago.

• Richard Clayton says:

@Great Wayne: Agreed: what an awful presentation. The gameplay looks messy and frustrating. I’m much less interested now.

20. Marcin says:

It looks like he had pretty serious problems with floaty car handling and latency both on-foot and in car. At some point he got hit by a car again and … nothing happened.

I hope all it needs is some beefier servers.

Admittedly the person playing was quite uninspiring as well. Just running straight into melee range when you have a weapon and a vehicle is just silly. :)

Still interested, although not as much as I used to be. If only GTA4 multiplayer wasn’t completely empty/populated with aimbots.

21. Radiant says:

As good as the customisation sounds, someone is going to find a way to create giant cocks and spray them everywhere to create a virtual New Cock City.

22. Mort says:

I played in beta for this pre-xmas I think it was. And got an invite for the next phase, which I didnt take up.
    Hands down worst beta I’ve ever played for various reasons. So far it’s very poorly built.

23. MWoody says:

Ugh NO NO NO: “we even have an auction house…”

Why the fuck does every MMO think it needs to have an auction house? I don’t even understand why this game needs an economy, much less the crappy subpar and patently un-fun experience of an auction house.

24. Spoon says:

Wow, the awful player really kills this presentation. It’s hard to tell what is potentially a game issue or if the player just sucks when they are that bad.

25. Langman says:

That’s possibly the most hilarious ‘demonstration’ of a game I’ve ever seen.

What were they thinking?

26. Thatim says:

Wierd.

9/10 people here say this is a bad presentation, and beca because of ituse of the bad presentation the game.

All of those people also say that they lost interest in the game.

Could be me.. But when you know it is mainly a BAD presentation.. and you state that doesn’t mean it is a BAD game (still could be)… Why do you say it is a BAD game.

Anyways.. The game is comming along pretty well. Can’t say much more about it. But it will be alot of fun when it is in the shelves.

27. DrGonzo says:

Didn’t look that awful to me tbh. A bit laggy and yes the player was awful. But I liked seeing her get arrested then rescued by team mates. Bad presentation, I’m still looking forward to this though. Was really disappointed by Bad Company 2, so I need a multiplayer shooter.

28. clive dunn says:

How hard is it to make a decent jump animation? This isn’t a rhetorical question, i want answers. Hoping this game will be great, looks a bit like cherry-GTAIV-lite.

• Devan says:

Since you asked..
      I guess the jump animations are challenging because they usually just make one. There are a lot of different kind of jumps, whether jumping over a fire hydrant, jumping over a fence, jumping off a roof, staying in one place jumping up and down etc. and you know that lots of people are just going to be bunny-hopping all over the place. Then there’s other variables such as the direction, distance and height of the jump.
      In order to have different animations for all the different kinds of jumps, you’d have to not only create them all, but have some complex logic to determine which one to play. That may work fine in a single-player game, but networked over the web there’s so much latency and guesswork involved in player movement that it would be fairly unreliable and probably look as bad as just using a generic jump.
      At least, that’s my best guess.

29. Jakkar says:

The beta test is currently ramping up, accepting new players. Those who’ve applied, keep your hopes up =)

30. clive dunn says:

@Dr Gonzo. Shame you didn’t like BC2, i fell in love with it, really surprised myself. And i loathed MW2. I think sometimes it depends what mood i’m in when i start a game. Started both Bioshocks with a stinking cold and hated them both. It’s like corned beef; most times its god-awful but occasionally it can catch you in that ‘corned beef mood’

• DrGonzo says:

I know I should have loved it. A big battlefield fan, but I just got an overwhelming feeling of ‘meh’. Very well made and all I just think I’m all military shooter’ed out if you get me?

31. Radiant says:

I want this to be good.
    PLEASE BE GOOD.

32. Leelad says:

I have faith in Oomjin.

I miss Oomjin.

33. Easydog says:

Way back in 2008 I had one of the best weeks of gaming in my entire life when my best friend and I got Saints Row 2 and played co-op through the entire game. If APB touches on a tenth of that fun it’ll be well worth it.

It’s the game I’m currently most excited about, although I am worried that it may end up like so many sup-par MMO’s that have had so much potential and then fallen to nothing… ‘Warhammer’ and ‘Champions Online’, I’m looking at you.

• MWoody says:

To this day, nothing has ever topped my favorite gaming moment of all time: playing Saints Row 2 co-op, balancing on the wing of my brother’s helicopter, hopping off onto the cockpit of an attack helicopter trying to kill us, and SUCCESSFULLY HIJACKING and storing in our garage a vehicle that’s supposed to be a prize for beating the game. We cracked up every time we managed to sneak that heli into a mission, as the missile launcher mounted on it could absolutely obliterate anything we encountered. Glorious: emergent gameplay at its console finest.

34. invisiblejesus says:

The player is bad, but the game looks potentially awesome to me. Off to the beta application with me!

DarkNoghri says:

I think I filled out the beta application twice, and got no confirmation at all. :(

36. halfthought says:

“So they haven’t done anything wrong, so the police can’t attack them”

You mean /besides/ driving like a four year old on crack?

And I thought this game was Gangs v Police, not Terrorists V Police :p

37. geldonyetich says:

APB seems a bit too heavily instanced for me to consider it an MMORPG, but I might change my mind if they have enough of an MMORPG-like implementation to it.

38. Zyrusticae says:

ITT: Piss-poor beta “testers” more interested in pre-release demoing than actually testing and giving developers feedback on their obviously unfinished, unpolished game.

Also, people saying the presentation is piss-poor and then extrapolating equally poor game quality from it make me lol.

That is all.

Sagan says:

Amen

• Kadayi says:

Yep. A lot of people don’t quite get that the reason for a beta is because the developers need guinea pigs to test things on for feedback as well carry out stress tests in terms of server capacity. Too many turn up in beta expecting a sneak peek and a free ride.

39. EaterOfCheese says:

Looks promising, but the car physics don’t look fun. It leaves me unimpressed.

I mean, it’s mmogta! The car physics need be to airtight.

40. JimmyJames says:

@EaterOfCheese

Definitely. I quite enjoyed Saints Row 2 but the car physics really bothered me – cars gripped the road too well it seemed. I guess I’ve just been spoiled by GTA, but really for an action game that focuses heavily on vehicles it just has to be done right.

41. DrazharLn says:

The talking head sounds like he’s scared shitless at the start and the player is absolute rubbish. Smooth guys, smooth. Despite that, the game does sound really, really good. Integration of last.fm style technology is a cool idea, I’d be happier if it streamed (from last.fm) as well as simply playing music from your hard drive, though.

42. zomd says:

I worry a bit about the game’s overall structure since it seems to be multiplayer only with no overarching plot or level grind. I wonder how sticky it will be. The history of multiplayer only shooters charging full price isn’t particularly good. They were smart not to charge a subscription fee.

Still, I’m pretty stoked to try it for the customization alone. Hopefully the gameplay holds up. I really wish I was in the beta. Oh well.

Saul says:

Everything we’ve seen of the driving looks horrendous. A shame, because if it was tight, this could be quite a lot of fun.

44. Junior says:

fun game

45. Tei says:

Phisics:

Something I hate from all games, Is wen stuff that look like decoration, like a brush, is actually a solid, one of infinity density that not even a nuclear blast will touch. I am driving like a crazy man, and I crash into this brush, I expect the brush to be destroyed, not my car stopping in 0.0000 seconds.

It was especially irritant in Champions Online, where you are supposed to be a superhero.

46. SirDorius says:

I’ve forgotten what shooters without cover systems looked like, but otherwise it looks like a good game

47. jameskond says:

So, I guess this is an actual beta, were stuff still needs to get, you know, tested and fixed? This ain’t a finished project and Crackdown was an amazing game, so these guys have my back. Also they seem to get the customation thing right and to a whole new level. Animation still needs work though :P

• EaterOfCheese says:

Re: it’s a Beta excuses blah

Sure, but I think the main concern here is a most un-fun seeming car physics, and given that it’s a game about driving cars, stealing cars, shooting cars, driving cars etc etc IT HAS A LOT OF CARS IN IT etc, I’m pretty concerned that if they’re already in beta and the driving still sucks ? Man, that’s not good.

It’s certainly fixable, though. Time will tell – it’s the sort of late change that scares producer-types (wimps).

48. Bowlby says:

I honestly thought the guy voicing over the video did a very good job with very poor footage.

Personally, this game isn’t for me. I don’t really get the social aspect of MMOs, so this all falls flat. I may as well be playing GTA IV.

49. toni says:

i am part of the beta and played 2 sessions, 1 of them on an “action server” and this game feels like pre-alpha to me. I can’t judge the final product but what is there (no matter how impressive the tech is behind it) looks like WOW with cars for me. The whole world feels empty (although there are plenty of braindead NPCs wandering around and getting stuck on the roads or signposts) and the other players behave like you would expect: like morons. there are only a few buttons to interact with the environment, navigation is limited unless you take a car that handles like a truck where the handbrake is stuck. It’s really, really bad from a gameplay/mechanics standpoint.

50. Bowlby says:

Ah, no wonder I haven’t heard of it, then.

• Kadayi says:

Somehow I doubt our friend Toni has had much to do with them though. Otherwise he’d have a far better understanding of what a beta test is ;)