“All is Gauntlet, Nothing is Gauntlet…”

By Jim Rossignol on March 15th, 2010 at 3:14 pm.

Bethesda Softworks send word that newly-signed studio, inXile Entertainment (headed up by Brian Fargo, formerly of Interplay), will be making a videogame called Hunted: The Demon’s Forge. It’s a game of the “third-person co-op action” genre. What kind of genre is that? Well, I’m glad I asked myself that, because Bethsoft say this: “Taking control of either E’lara, a ranged weapon expert, or Caddoc, a master swordsman, you must use a variety of weapons, powerful spells, and cover tactics to battle your way through menacing dungeons, overgrown ruins, and downtrodden towns. Discover secrets and complete co-op-based puzzles whilst exploring the sinister world to discover answers to the game’s deep, dark mysteries.”

So it’s basically an Unreal 3-powered hack ‘n’ slash dungeon-crawler with monsters and stuff. Apparently the game allows players to pull off “gruesome co-op kill moves,” which sounds like a thing that would happen in a videogame. More news on this soon, probably! Wow, that was quick, EG have a preview up: here.

__________________

« | »

1. Lobotomist says:

Niceeeeee

2. Jonas says:

Sounds… mildly interesting. Looking forward to hearing more!

I like the idea of a cover system in a fantasy game, assuming that’s even vaguely what they’re talking about. And co-op is always good. So for now: yay!

3. Cinnamon says:

Elf needs clothes badly.

4. Demon Beaver says:

Sounds like a multiplayer version of Trine…

5. Dan says:

I dont know about anyone else but i think this might be very very good.

6. Patrick says:

When I first heard of Aksys’ co-op game “The Crossing”, I thought it was going to be a co-op Dark Messiah-style game with several fantasy classes and maps that required you to work together and use your different skills. It turned out to be something interesting but entirely different. This however looks like a really simple version of that, so I’m intrigued that someone kindof made the imaginary game that I thought was going to exist.

But InXile has a crap track record so far, with Bard’s Tale XBox and Line Rider DS under their belt. And this is another damn UE3 game. And it looks like Gears of Fantasy Wars. So I guess my expectations have no where to go but up.

7. Jesse says:

I don’t want to sentence a group of people from Interplay (apparently there are several of them in inXile – ‘in exile’ from Interplay, I guess?) to making Interplay-like games for eternity, just because Interplay made some of the greatest games of all time. But I can’t help but feel disappointed that talents that were potentially used to make great roleplaying games are now being used on a gorey grimdark grey-and-brown-fest like this seems to want to be. I can’t wait to hear what music they’ll use for the trailers. I hope they don’t consider Marilyn Manson as too ‘done’ or ‘taken’, there are lots of gems in his back-catalog we can still exploit.

I don’t want to be unfair. It might be a fun game. But I read the Eurogamer preview and they’re talking in Gears of War-style marketing speak, and aesthetically that’s such a dead end. We already have confirmation that the elf woman wears skimpy clothes and the pouches on her belt somehow frame her taut little rear in the required lascivious manner. Fantastic! I love playing co-op with my brother where I get to play a brick of meat and admire his character’s well-oiled, hopefully physics-enabled T&A while both our characters exchange thinly-veiled sexual banter, that doesn’t make us feel uncomfortable at all! In fact it gives us tremendous erections, which is of course the reason for having female characters in video games, so all’s clear there!

I will not buy this and I hope it fails horribly and is roundly mocked and panned. ARGH SO BITTER. I don’t know, for some reason I just can’t stomach another scantily-attired elven sex object in a game today…

8. Alphabet says:

Oh just make something as good as Morrowind again and stop with the Dark Age of the Tutorial Opening to Oblivion already.

9. Jim Rossignol says:

If everyone chips in a fiver we can probably hire a studio to make a decent CRPG.

• Krikey! says:

I’ll chip in more than that if RPS can convince Brian Fargo to re-group with Chris Avellone, Chris Taylor (no not that other Chris Taylor), Tim Cain, Feargus Urquhart and all the other geniuses whom I’ve failed to mention, and make the #1 Game Of All Time.

• Nick says:

In. I’ll just need your account details.

• Alphabet says:

I have spent the last week of my life lost in Avernum 6, thanks (I think?) to RPS, who drew it to my attention. It’s great, if you can overlook the graphics, which look terrible at first but are in fact merely functional. Basically it’s like a cross between Baldur’s Gate 2 and the old p&p D&D modules like Against The Giants. It has a good magic system, and once you get used to reading chunks of text again, really good story-telling that has some great thematic underpinning – a food crisis in time of war is pretty serious when you think about it. And there are one or two quests that are just magnificent. It cost less than £20, there’s an extensive demo, it downloads in minutes. But don’t do it, people, it’s like crack. My plan is to avoid their website until some big game disappoints me, then I’ll try Avernum 5 when that’s been remade in the new engine. (Despite being the last in a hexalogy, the writing and mise-en-scene are evocative enough to clue you in to what you need to know about the previous games without ruining them). It’s really great fun and amazing that it’s the work of one man, who Bioware should immediately hire.

• Fumarole says:

They already did make that one.

• Jesse says:

I said this in the Avernum 6 post, but again, the only problem with Avernum games is that I played them too much and had a hard time stopping. A three-hour session wasn’t enough. And the games are so long you could potentially have, I don’t know, 30 three-hour sessions with one game. I lost a month to Avernum 3 and decided I had to quit, cold turkey. I wasn’t even near the ending yet.

If I had the willpower to enjoy the games in moderation… But no! I promised my wife I wouldn’t go back down that slippery slope. Not, at least, until I have nothing else to play for a couple months.

10. Shadow Aspect says:

Sign me up!

11. yhancik says:

“Taking control of either E’lara, a ranged weapon expert, or Caddoc, a master swordsman”

What, is that a two persons third-person co-op action game ?

(which is fine by me, I play most of my mp games with one friend or two… but still it sounds kind of strange)

• Stromko says:

The first thing that strikes me is that it’s another 2-player co op game, and that seems like a dead end to me. If you’re going to make a co-op game, why not three or four? Borderlands, Left 4 Dead and so on are pretty good with two, but much better with three or four.

Also seems a bit lazy to have a fantasy game and only cater to the warrior and archer archetypes. Those wouldn’t necessarily even be different characters in most fantasy settings, if you can string a bow you can heft an axe.

12. PeopleLikeFrank says:

“dark and gritty…”

NO WAI

• Chris D says:

I gave a little sigh when I read those words

• Jeremy says:

Yeah, I mean, it really is hard to take people seriously when they say stuff like that, as if every game isn’t doing that. Doesn’t mean the game can’t be good, it just means they’re tools if they think that separates them from the pack.

13. Master Builder says:

I wish they’d get on with the Wasteland sequel they said they were making (Wasteland being the spiritual predecessor of Fallout).

As for this, unforunately I’m feeling distinct DO NOT WANTAGE.

• sfury says:

Same here. When I heard rumors they’re working with Bethesda, I was sure it is the Wasteland sequel and they would be tying it somehow to Fallout, but I guess I was DEAD wrong. :(

What they announced isn’t very exciting for me.

14. Resin says:

Dark and gritty elf in revealing spandex armor…..sigh, indeed.
    There are some appealing aspects to what their saying…..more interesting co-op stuff…..but….It just seems like its so much uninspired more of the same, completely safe, rehashing of the same old themes.

15. Grunt says:

“Apparently the game allows players to pull off “gruesome co-op kill moves,” which sounds like a thing that would happen in a videogame”

Or in a supermarket if your imagination is twisted enough.

16. Dain says:

I dream of a world where game developers can see the word “Fantasy” without immediately diving into the land of enormous spiked shoulderpads and chainmail bikinis. Fantasy art design doesn’t have to be utterly ridiculous..

17. mcnubbins says:

Grunt said:

Or in a supermarket if your imagination is twisted enough.

Or in a supermarket in a video game.

Or in a video game in a supermarket.

Or in a video game ANYWHERE, perhaps on YOUR computer RIGHT NOW!

18. Sagan says:

I don’t understand why this game is getting made. It seems so… mediocre. There is nothing smart about it and it doesn’t understand why people play fantasy games.
    This developer’s last game got canceled (HEI$T) and the game before that was supposed to be only average. (Bard’s Tale) Also Bethesda’s publishing side has made bad decisions in recent years, with WET and Rogue Warrior.

I don’t see how this could possibly be a success.

• Jesse says:

Guys, wait! What if they’re just publishing rubbish games to make a quick buck in order to raise money for a decent Morrowind remake/sequel? With more books and mythology?

THIS GAME NEEDS TO SELL MANY COPIES I SUPPORT IT 100% NAKED ELFS CO-OP KILL MOVES COVER SYSTEM GRITTY GRITTY YES

19. Helm says:

is this like Hunter Hunted?

I remember stuff.

20. WilPal says:

Sounds great.

GIVE IT TO ME.

21. shalrath says:

So, 3rd person Left.. 2 dead? I dunno, the description seems to be ‘kill zombies, but with MAGIC.’

Or, I guess there are older games than Left 4 Dead that it might be ‘referencing,’ but it seems oddly timed to me.

22. Nimdok says:

Yeah, this is definitely another cash-game for InXile; Bethesda is thinking this’ll round out their catalogue, while Fargo’s going “Project money good”. InXile has a handful of these going, Hei$t, Line Rider, and a few others are all ways to make some coin for theri real projects, which right now is an ‘unnamed post-apocalyptic computer RPG” which was announced sometime after they were given the rights to the title “Wasteland” by the parent company of Yu-Gi-Oh (long story, that one…) who had bought it for a chapter of their card game…

That’s right. Given. Fargo goes “May I?” and they go “OK.”

23. Tei says:

I think Gauntlet influence to gaming was minor. Mostly because at that date the 4 players thing looked like a gimmick. It was not a gimmick, but that era was naive and a bit stupid. Anyway the game lacked these RPG character progression we love from today rpg’s.

I think it was the Roguelikes and MUD’s that supported the bigger part of the influence. Lots of systems and ideas where tested on these games. But that is not important, the important thing is that lot of people got adicted to the idea of progression on games, like most RPG’s do. I think most of these people that created graphic RPG’s, where already addicted to playing RPG games on a computer.

24. Shazbut says:

Aside from the co-op element, the name of this game and Bethesda’s description of it combine to produce one of the most epoch-shatteringly generic things I’ve ever heard of anyone making. I feel like I’ve been shot in the face with a bullet made of purest nothing.

25. pcgneurotic says:

There are now two Dungeoneers I’ve lost track of over the last few years, both of which were previewd in PCG 2-3 years back (iirc):

1) A sort of underground Goblin city that had lots of physics in it – swing your sword in a small room, and it actually knocks the furniture over etc.

2) A DK-style dungeon management thing for the 000′s. I don’t think it’s Overlord; I’m pretty sure it was something else entirely.

Anyone?

• Spoon says:

The first one sounds like Dungeon Hero. I think it was canceled as it was supposed to come out last year and there has been no press on it. No clue on the second.

26. Evernight says:

Bethesda needs to stop publishing and get their asses moving on developing TES V.

• Vinraith says:

@Evernight

I trust that it’s already in development, and that these lukewarm publishing ventures are an attempt to maintain a revenue stream while they work on it.

• Subject 706 says:

*Cynic mode* Considering how TES V will probably make even Oblivion look fresh and original, not to mention how it will be even more streamlined, I wouldn’t hold my hopes high. No sirrah, I would not. *End cynic mode*

27. tssk says:

Everyone seems to have forgotten the remake (or rather reimaging) of The Bard’s Tale under this mob. Some fantastic bits of humour let down only by an awful tower grind at the end.

The songs were fantastic (an ode to beer being a nice stand out) and I loved that no matter how much you tried to put things right you constantly made things worse.

28. EaterOfCheese says: