Metro 2033 Is Preparing For Departure

By John Walker on March 15th, 2010 at 11:33 pm.

If only someone would make a shooter where you attacked with wistful glances.

Metro 2033 is out at the end of this week. Who knew March was the month for games? Dragon Age: Awakening, this, Just Cause 2… It’s like it’s November or something. So to celebrate its arrival there is of course a launch trailer, which in this case acts as a sort of best-of compilation of clips, finally reaching some in-game footage toward the end. Shooting! Monsters carrying off cars! A man having a look inside a drawer! I’m really not sure how that bit got in there, but it’s clear that the whole thing was built to match the tune, John Murphy’s In The House In A Heartbeat, familiar from 28 Days Later.

Looking forward to it?

, , .

1. AVarotsis says:

I have a hunch people might be disappointed by this. I don’t know, other than the setting, I haven’t seen anything that really fills me with confidence in it being anything else than Doom 3 in Russia.

• HexagonalBolts says:

Got exactly the same hunch, predicting a 6/10 or maybe 7/10, but the setting has so much potential I hope I’m wrong. I remember reading that the campaign was only 6 hours long and it has no multiplayer (not that all games should have multiplayer, just that ones with a campaign that is only 6 hours long should)…

• Mman says:

“predicting a 6/10 or maybe 7/10″

Every review so far has been an 8 or 9 so this has already been proven otherwise.

2. Bowlby says:

‘In the House – In a Heartbeat’ is today’s ‘Lux Aeterna’. Sick of hearing it.
    I am curious about 2033, though. Awaiting the reviews with guarded anticipation.

• u335 says:

Seconded. At least it isn’t ‘O Fortuna’.

Where do these songs go when it’s finally time for them to die? Car commercials?

• The Dark One says:

Car commercials? I wish. Molson launched a new ‘Rah Rah Let’s All Feel Nationalistic About Our Beer’ campaign using Lux Aeterna for the Olympics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aQkrV3ppAw (if you dare)

• HexagonalBolts says:

Lux Aeterna is the musical equivalent of comic sans, or using papyrus to convey a middle eastern theme.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Huh, never heard that song before. Lux Aeterna, on the other hand..

• DarthBenedict says:

@Bowlby

Playing lux aetererna (or O Fortuna, for that matter) on your mp3 play while doing incredibly mundane things is pretty funny. It makes waiting at the traffic lights seem monumental.

• jsutcliffe says:

Wow. I had no idea Clint Mansell (Lux Aeterna composer) was the singer from PWEI. That’s quite a shift.

• neems says:

I had no idea that Lux Aeterna was written by Clint Mansell… some of his soundtrack stuff really is very good. PWEI, on the other hand, are my favourite band ever (with the possible exception of The Pixies).

3. Wulf says:

I’m mildly intrigued by this but I can’t seem to muster any more of a fascination than that, I worry that this might be one of those games that’ll pass me by in the night and that I won’t be lucky enough to realise how great it is until much later.

What’s very much putting me off is the checkpoint system, because I’ve never seen a game in which they’ve worked, and often they lead to replaying segments of the game that one shouldn’t have to. If the checkpoint system resulted in vastly different gameplay from the checkpoint onward every time, that’s fine, but I can’t see that being the case. I fear that the checkpoint will just result in having to replay bits of the game I can do to get to bits I can’t. This is something that Mass Effect 2 got right: Allow quicksaving at all times except for active combat scenarios. So I can save between fights, and then bounce back to bits I’ve failed on in a VVVVVV sort of way. Not that I did fail a lot in Mass Effect 2, but I appreciated that on the occasions I did, I didn’t have to redo entire segments of the game, it’s nice to have that in place.

Almost everything else about this does have my attention, except that. :/ And that’s something that could ruin a game for me. So I’ll be watching reviews of this one with interest.

4. jti says:

This might be good. Thumbs up!

5. Mario Figueiredo says:

I still get the occasional goose bumps hearing that tune. I was lucky I guess, as I had absolutely 0 exposure to 28 Days Later before I watched the film for the first time. The whole movie was a tour de force and that tune, placed in strategic parts of the movie, will forever be associated with it. I had an awesome theater experience like I didn’t have for quite some time.

As for this game… I’m crossing my fingers for it being it too a tour de force. But am not very confident. Will wait and see before I make my decision.

• disperse says:

Same here. Saw 28 Days Later in the theater with next to no expectations about it and loved it. The music brought all that back. It is a shame if it is being overused.

6. jsutcliffe says:

That trailer sold me on the game.

7. Mistabashi says:

Did no-one notice the DRAGONS?!

I’ve become steadily less interested in this game the more I’ve seen/heard of it, now I’m probably not even going to bother reading the reviews. It’s a shame, because I remember when their website first went up (very early on in development) there was talk of revolutionary AI and large, immersive environments. I don’t think they were signed-up with THQ at that time, so that may go some way to explaining how it seems to have turned out; I’m rather dissappointed at the lack of anything new or unconventional on display.

8. Dain says:

It may be a bog-standard FPS, but it at least looks pretty stylish and a change from the normal super soldier/space marine setting.

• Wang Tang says:

A change to the really new post-apocalypse world setting like, ehrm, used in Stalker, Fallout, etc…

• Demon Beaver says:

It might be a guilty pleasure, but I really enjoy those triple-A games with lots of scripted cinematics (well, except for MW2, which went way too far with it). While STALKER and Fallout 3 were terrific, I’m looking forward to a polished shooter set in that environment, especially if it takes horror over bleakness. I really liked the atmosphere of the trailer.
      Also, from the bit where the player character picks up some secret file from a cabinet (though we all know what will be written in that file, don’t we?), that he doesn’t suffer from Gordon Freeman-ish mutism and disconnection.
      I hope I’m right, I tend to be very optimistic…

9. Inanimotioon says:

Hmm…not too excited about this game.
    I do enjoy that song though.

While it might be overplayed, I havn’t been listening to the places that overyplay it so it doesn’t really bother me.

10. Wooly says:

2033 Days Later!

11. Thiefsie says:

Only thing about that vid that piques my interest is being very high up in the sky and falling off the ladder or whatever… could be a fun set-piece? The rest is pretty ordinary and I must say I prefer the STALKER type of enemy rather than gargoyle/fantasy dragon lookalikes.

12. Tenorek says:

I am actually quite interested in playing this game. Many of the scripted sequences seem to suggest it might have a strong narrative to it. However, I’m probably going to wait till it goes on a pretty good sale on steam before buying it as I can’t afford to buy it with all the other games coming out right now. Not to mention I probably won’t have the time to play it. someday I will play it though, hopefully before the name becomes ironic.

13. Moonracer says:

Another victim of “the year of too many good games” for me I’m afraid. It looks like something I’d enjoy but I don’t see myself having the time and energy to get to it. The underground city looks lovely though; very crowded and lively. I hope it is more than a cutscene.

14. Orly says:

There is nothing wrong with a linear shooter if it’s well executed, stylish, and has a decent plot. The half life games are linear shooters, and they turned out alright.

It looks interesting, and could well be a very entertaining way to spend a few hours. It’s certainly got more promise than MW:2 had ( I realise not many of us liked that around here, but I think the point stands).

It’s also eastern european, and no one does bleak fatalism and post apocalyptic settings quite like them. Who cares if it’s original; it could be a blast.

tomeoftom says:

The fact that the “2009 Complete” Stalker mod adds this very song to a PA broadcast in-game amuses me greatly.

16. Muzman says:

Any talk of a demo for this? I like the sound of it, linearity caveats taken on board, but I’m a tad overcommitted at the moment.
    (getting pretty heavily promoted over here. Big displays at EB etc)

solipsistnation says:

It’s already out on Steam in the US, a day earlier than they said!

Of course, it’s going to take long enough to download that it’ll actually be the 16th, the promised release date, by the time I can actually play it, if I wanted to stay up until 4 or 5 in the morning to do so.

18. Zerotonine says:

I have some decent impressions about this game, it will be more focused and linear than, say, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. – but still delightfully Russian. I think I’ll wait for some reviews to come out to give me an idea on whether this is a game for me.

• Demon Beaver says:

I hear the first three levels in the game are named “Very Russian”, “Even More Russian” and “As Russian As It Gets”.

• l1ddl3monkey says:

There’s a mid level called “This motherfucker is some serious Russian shit right here”.

And don’t forget the final boss level which is called “In Russia, Game Ends You”

I didn’t bring a coat…

19. Gabbo says:

A shooter from Eastern Europe? Other than worrying about the engine being unoptimized, I look forward to just about all of them.

20. Grunt says:

I know nothing about this game and have no opinion.

• StarDrowned says:

Thanks for the update, I was really curious about your stance on this one.

Love the setting, and I have a thing for Eastern European games, so I’m keeping a close eye on this one. Early reviews have been surprisingly good, I saw a couple of 9′s in my brief search. Promising so far.

21. Huggster says:

The reviews I read were very positive, very much a PC game, very much sneak sneak rather than bang bang if you want to. Not dumbed down for consoles, so similar to STALKER. I think some of the same team made it. They say most in common with HL2.

22. Christovski says:

I’d advise against seeing 28 Weeks Later then. They use every goddamn opportunity to use that song.

Vandelay says:

I would advice you do watch 28 Weeks Later, because it is very good. When I first saw it, I actually preferred it to 28 Days Later. Before everyone yells at me though, it was because I saw it at the cinema, whereas I only saw the original on DVD. Watching the sequel on DVD later on, I realised how much it lost in the transition, which I assume is the same with the first film.

And I haven’t really heard this song in too many other places, so it still lets me know that whatever it is being played over is truly epic.

AndrewC says:

YELLINGYELLINGYELLING!

• IvanHoeHo says:

But almost everyone in 28 Weeks Later suffer from the Too Stupid To Live syndrome, whereas only the soldiers suffer from it in the first one. That alone make me unable to watch it in anything more than 5 minute stretches, like most other horror movies. Also, I watched the first one by accident, so that helps with impressions a bit.

23. Web Cole says:

Guess I blanked out for a few seconds, I totally missed the drawer. Damn!

24. Magic H8 Ball says:

Nazis? Dragons? Quick time events?

I think I’ll replay Cryostasis instead.

25. Carra says:

The review I read in my games magazine looked promising. A fun shooter which relies heavily on scripting (think CoD).

26. Major Disaster says:

Jim has a (traitor) 360 review out on Eurogamer.

Sound pretty positive and like should be a even better experience on the PC.

27. Toyoch says:

Since it unlocked tomorrow night in Germany I got the chance to play a bit. Loads of fun, put me in the same mood as Stalker did, very atmospheric. Yes, it’s a linear shooter, no free-roaming possible. But the scripting is good and it’s also quite close to the book (to anyone who cares about this)
    It also runs pretty damn fast on my ancient nVidia 8800GT with settings at “High” and DX10 enabled.
    Also I’ve encountered no bugs so far, which is quite uncommon for an eastern game.

28. Other Steve says:

I’ve preordered this and didn’t really expect any problems but now?

…Damn.
    A conundrum has arisen.

My copy of the book arrived this morning.

To read or not to read.
    That is the question.

[edit: damn you captcha!]

29. l1ddl3monkey says:

I’m reading the book the game is based on at the minute; it’s good. And I love this piece of music…

I have so many unfinished games at the minute…one more won’t hurt, surely?

30. Chris Fox says:

Oh, the books out? Well… I guess I can afford that at least.

Damnedable games industry being just too darned good for a student budget.

31. Segal says:

Just’ve read Jim Rossignol review on Eurogamer. I haven’t played the game, so I cannot say anything about review except it was well-written, but one phrase striked me:

“Some of the games we’re now seeing come out of Russia – S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Cryostasis, Metro 2033″

Man, all those games were made in Ukraine.

It’s quite abusive to hear this for Ukrainian gamers, you know. It’s like you’d read on some US website something along: “French did quite a good job with Fable series” or “Spectrum, great invention of Ireland”.

Check you facts, really :)

32. Lord_Mordja says:

Wow, pessimism ahoy…

Guys, get this game. It’s fantastic, and nothing like STALKER. The only similarities are the fact that it’s in an Eastern European country and that it’s post-apoc. So if you’re looking for an open world game you’ll be disappointed. If you want a mostly linear game like HL2 that absolutely exudes atmosphere than we have one hell of a winner.

33. V. Tchitcherine. says:

Holy fuck gentlemen, I love S.T.A.L.K.E.R., System Shock 2, Half-Life 2 and Deus Ex and this FPS is up there with the greats, the atmosphere, detail, gun play, mechanics are all sensational. I can understand the cynicism of an unknown but this is one of the best games I’ve played and the first in ages that I’ve actually marvelled at in conveying a stunning and immersive experience.

Also the game is less linear than it is made out to be, whilst there is often only one way to go, it never feels too contrived and there is a great degree of freedom in regards to how silently or recklessly you approach a situation, the sensation of finally getting night-vision and hurling a knife into the last of three passing sentries to loot his ammo is unrivalled. Or in the beautiful sun of the surface, sound of your breath in the gas mask, cracks in the glass, wind kicking up small particles, looking at the now alien world that was Moscow. The settlements you visit are teeming with life, details, characters, conversations and all sorts of mesmerising little events.

For me there are only really trifling issues that don’t deserve mention or will be fixed -such as the wide-screen bug- but mostly I fear that this experience will end soon. I do implore everyone to purchase this game as the developers deserve your support for such a debut.

34. jsutcliffe says:

I want to take the plunge, I really do, but I need to see either a demo or some benchmarks to assess whether my PC is up to it.

35. l1ddl3monkey says:

Waiting…

solipsistnation says:

jsutcliffe said:

Mine is a dual-core 3.0GHz thingy with 4GB RAM (yeah, I know I can’t use it all with 32-bit XP, but for the future, I guess) and an nvidia geforce 9600GT. It runs just fine at 1680×1050 with settings somewhere between medium and high.