Bad Company 2 Ultro-Spoof Win

By John Walker on March 17th, 2010 at 12:03 pm.

Bravo.

Okay, this is absolutely brilliant. My affections are always available for the high price of a really good gag, and EA/DICE just bought mine for Bad Company 2 with their fantastic spoof of Modern Warfare 2’s painfully awkward Fight Against Grenade Spam video. The original video featured heroic Phillies (baseball) pitcher Cole Hamel presenting a PSA-style advert about the problems of grenade spamming in Modern Warfare. It was a cute idea, made hideous by the astonishingly ill-advised decision to use the acronym “FAGS” – as if there isn’t enough of that word being screamed over Xbox Live already. With a deft touch, DICE continue their PR assault on Activision’s cash-cow (following on from their announcement they’d be releasing free Bad Company 2 DLC on the same day MW2’s first DLC map pack appears) with this piss-take. See both below.

Okay, so here’s the original. Be warned, it features the fine Mr Hamel saying some naughty swears:

So what makes DICE’s spoof so brilliant is not just that it pokes fun at the original, but simultaneously steals the original’s idea for itself. That’s some fine renegade marketing. They even fix the acronym horror in a way that should make all at Activision put their faces in their palms. It’s also very funny, even though it features a Yankees pitcher. (I feel like I should be posting this later when the Americans are up – I’m really wasting a lot of effort annoying idiot Yankees fans at this time of day. See, even CC Sabathia is too embarrassed to wear a real Yankees hat, or even say his team’s name. In fact, he even implies he’s a Mets pitcher, to my ears.) Here it is:

It should probably be added, sadly, that as PC Gamer reports, today might not be too good a day for Bad Company 2, with the new patch apparently introducing new serious bugs.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

HermitUK says:

Do love it when DICE put out these videos. There were a bunch of similar spoofs for the original Bad Company over on the consoles (One making fun of the Gears of War Mad World ad, another loosely aimed at Rainbow Six, and a third with Solid Snake hiding in a barrel).

2. Jakkar says:

That brought grins.

3. Silverfish says:

I got plenty of kills grenade spamming in the BC2 beta, especially since you have an unlimited amount if you’re the soldier class.

• [21CW] 2000AD says:

Seconded. If I ever found the genius that not only kept the noob tube in the game but effectively gave it infinate ammo ….. bad things will happen.

Would also like to chat to the guy that thought it was a good idea to bind “pick up kit” and “Dis/arm charge” to the same button, the amount of times I’ve tried to stop a bomb going off only to pick up someone elses kit …..

• Nick says:

Its slightly bugged but if you just hold the button down in range you will still disarm, even if the disarm thing doesn’t appear (It can vanish and reappear if you are moving round it whenmdisarming too, but it is still disarming).

The worst one is if there is a mounted gun near the Mcom and you manage to get into that instead =(

4. sexyresults says:

The server browser might have problems, but hey, at least we have dedicated servers.

• Tei says:

Mostly…
      Have you tried to create a dedicated server on your computer for LAN playing.

• Arthur Barnhouse says:

It’s really sad that we’re at the point where we have to chose between peer hosting and dedicated servers where you have to rent server space. It helps that Bad Company 2 is a better game than Modern Warfare (at least MW1, I haven’t played 2 yet). The only reason I hope EA succeeds is so that groups like Activision see Dedicated Servers are a necessity on the PC, not an option. Beyond that, it’s a huge pain in the ass.

• sexyresults says:

Nope I haven’t lanned for years, but I do enjoy playing on my ISP servers so nothing counts to my download/upload limit

5. Clovis says:

I guess all the “Meet the X” Valve videos have spoiled me. I found these equally lame.

HermitUK says:

Oh, also, while hand grenades aren’t the biggest threat in the BC2 world, the underslung grenade launchers in BC2 are easily as rage inducing as they were in MW2.

• Fatrat says:

Oh man, +1 to that. I play medic and whenever i’m killed by an assault troop it’s 80%+ of the time due to him popping off a grenade. Can’t people aim and shoot bullets anymore?

I even had one guy shoot one at me at melee range. Killed me and didn’t explode so he just wandered off unharmed. FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!1

• Flameberge says:

Yup. That stuff started in BF2 and hasn’t gone away, no game has managed to make actually shooting bullets the way to kill people.

• Nick says:

Er, they patched BF2 to make nube tubing a hell of a lot less of a problem, it got stupid and they fixed it. now its stupid again.

It helped that the assault rifles in BF2 were worth a damn in bullet firing mode though.

7. M says:

Also worth pointing out – the actual game is better too.

8. Flaringo says:

“Competing games in this particular genre”.

9. poop says:

a welll known pitcher from the new york metropolitan area got a chuckle out of me

10. wokjraslnfsa says:

OHHHHHHH MMAAAANNN.
    SHIT JUST GOT REAL

11. squirrel says:

“new patch apparently introducing new serious bugs”

Oh my god!! I happened to updated yesterday! I have the disc so I can always reinstall (thanks EA for listening to us to not adopting some damned DRM), but the installation process was painfully long and I really dont want to go over it again.

• M says:

It’s the best DICE has been with patching, so expect a fix in a day or two.

drewski says:

Made me grin.

13. Bowlby says:

Whoever puts out these videos is doing an excellent job. I saw this particular promo yesterday, but, watching it again, it’s still pure win.

“… but in Battlefield Bad Company 2, grenade spam isn’t going to prove quite as effective as one might find in competing games of this particular genre…”

My favourite line, well-written, voiced perfectly. :D

14. Magic H8 Ball says:

“My affections are always available for the high price of a really good gag”
    What a coincidence, I for one go for the movies which were directed by people with hot wives. Since you know, a guy with a chick like that can’t make a bad movie eh? Eh?

15. Kanamit says:

Hey! I’m a Yankees fan (though only to piss off Red Sox fans. I really couldn’t care less about baseball)! I guess I should be annoyed.

• Corporate Dog says:

If you’re a Yankees fan who doesn’t care about baseball, then that makes you a FRAG.

16. Wizlah says:

The cole hamels (S, mr. walker, his name ends in an S, as YOU SHOULD WELL KNOW) appearance is doubly amusing since any self-respecting Phillies fan will tell you he’s the most likely to be grenade spamming, what with him being a big ol’ pussy himself, all stylin’ and hollywood and marriage and giving up homeruns and so forth.

the domination of the yankees in a marketing campaign rubs further salt in the wounds of last years WS loss. I hate it when the other team are just better than you. And now, even worse, the phils are associated with activision.

• Inigo says:

Ha. ha! I have no idea what you’re saying!
      Oh, you America-men and your “Based-balls”.

• Don W says:

As a Mets fan, I…..ahhh, forget it….

• DJ Phantoon says:

I live in America and I can’t understand what he’s saying.

Football is our national sport anyways. Does need a name change though.

Also, how does John know the difference between baseball team types?

• Stromko says:

Our national sport should be robot fighting. Unfortunately, I think it’s more likely to be NASCAR. There needs to be more explosions and torn metal in robot fighting, that’s its only chance.

17. Film11 says:

Can’t say I’ve been suffering from the problems reported in these places.

Even in the PCG article, the waits of 50+ seconds for the server browser never happened to me, post or pre-patch.

• Tei says:

Film11:

It could be you live in the same city / ISP than the dataservers. Most people get a +10s delay for everything, opening (that run a lame default search), searching (obvious), favorites (lame, but understandable) and history (absolutelly idiotic to get the delay here).

• Nick says:

Well, I guess thats ok then, crisis over.

Flimgoblin says:

if you cancel the server browser you get a list of servers it’s got data from so far, if you then do a narrower search (e.g. not full or name containing ‘UK’) you can get a reasonable response time.

Far from ideal, just a tip if you’re having trouble

18. Merli says:

Funny, especially funny since I can remember two games of DICE which had the biggest problem with grenade spamming in my gaming history.
    Not a surprise though when people have a infinite amount of grenades thanks to a ammo box.

• suibhne says:

It’s really not a big problem in BC2, thankfully. Nades are refilled by ammo boxes at a much slower pace than ammo, and they don’t have a large blast radius; you can be 15 feet away in the same room and take only minor damage. 40mm nades, on the other hand…those are much more of a real balance issue.

• Andrew Dunn says:

The problem with the 40mm grenades isn’t that they’re being spammed, it’s that they’re far too effective against single targets, even at close range. You’re guaranteed a kill if you hit someone two feet in front of you with the 40mm grenade even though it doesn’t arm. This essentially makes the 40mm shotgun attachment – which replaces the grenade launcher – useless.

• Fumarole says:

The concept of balance in a modern day shooter is quite amusing.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Fumarole:

TF2. It is modern.

I rest my case.

• shalrath says:

Balance has sucked for ages, but honestly, you can’t even compare M203 spam in Modern Warfare to BC2. BC2 it’s annoying, MW2 it’s REQUIRED to win. I’ve never died in the opening 5 seconds to an M203 in BC2. In MW, it was a constant occurrence.

• Fumarole says:

TF2 is pure fantasy, not modern at all in the manner Bad Company and Modern Warfare attempt.

19. int says:

Is it just me or is that soldier with glasses very Woody Allen-esque?

20. Maskatron says:

New patch improves CTDs in MP games for me, but now causes one every time I try to load my SP save, damnit.

21. Telperion says:

This gave me a few good belly laughs.
    Definitely the best stuff I have seen today, so far.
    Good stuff!

22. Spiny says:

I like it at the end of one rush map, it says something like “That’s the port taken, now the road to Washington” :)

Heh another in game dig :)

23. Stromko says:

I’m definitely buying this when it’s sufficiently patched, even though I’ve a distrust of EA and DICE for screwing up BF2.

24. Andrew W says:

Screw the Yankees but serious love for C.C. for doing this commercial.

@Mr. Walker

As for why he didn’t have an actual Yankees hat on and said “A certain team in the New York Metropolitan Area” that was probably Yankee ownership decision. The Yanks are very touchy about commercialization and such, and they like to say they stick by baseball’s core values. They don’t want their holy name tarnished by such new age hooligans as video gamers.

Oh and go Sox. The red variety.