More Of A Magicka

By Jim Rossignol on March 17th, 2010 at 8:39 am.

Arrowhead Games – whoa, a strange “arrowhead” theme – showed off their isometric multiplayer Diablo-like action adventure Magicka at GDC, and so we’ve snaffled the video to post below. It’s looking like a fun time: you play as wizards and you can combine and mix spell powers to suit your tastes. There’s some really lovely detail on the monsters and environments, too. Also, it does seem to have a sense of humour and has friendly fire on all the time, for comedy happenings. The game will be out Q3/Q4 2010. Go take a look.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. robrob says:

Of Steamworks and Arcanum Obscura

2. Vinraith says:

This one looks promising. I’m hoping it will play well with less than four players. That’s the curse of games designed for co-op, sometimes they’re so preoccupied optimizing the experience for X number of players they end up neglecting smaller numbers and single player.

3. terry says:

Neat concept. I’ve often wondered what NPCs would say to their predicament if they became self-aware and suffered crushing existential issues related to their lacklustre AI routines, criticised your ridiculous glowing vorpal trousers, and discussed pathfinding issues amongst themselves. Someone should make a sarcastic Oblivion overhaul or something, I would play the shit out of that.

4. Magic H8 Ball says:

robrob said:
    Of Steamworks and Arcanum Obscura

Exactly what I thought when I read the title. Whoa dude! Arcanum (spiritual) sequel! I don’t know whether to be disappointed(because Arcanum was pretty much last “real” RPG) or happy(because they would completely fuck it up anyway).

5. Ninja Dodo says:

Really liking the spell combinations.

6. pkt-zer0 says:

Every time they mention “accidentally” killing your friends, I am reminded of Wizard of Wor. Good times.

7. BooleanBob says:

Not sure why, but the phrase ‘generic fantasy kingdom’ evokes such a feeling of revulsion in me that a play-it-straight parody such as this suffers immediate backlash. But then, the trailer does come across as trying a little too hard. Maybe I’m just a big grump.

Game looks good though. Wizards have the best tactical fare in these sorts of games, as long as you get the balance right. You want the feeling that your constant destructive power is blowing enemies away just before they reach pointy-stick-thrusting range, as opposed to, say, WoW magery, which was the same thing but also with endless running away and enormous health bars to chip away at :(

Schaulustiger says:

This looks really promising, especially with the coop mode. Controls look a bit odd, though, I wonder how they work.

9. TooNu says:

It looks fun :) and from sweden to! probably Stockholm…helvete >_<

10. Cinnamon says:

If the official full name was “Magicka: It’s An Adventure Of Some Sort” then I would seriously consider buying it despite it not really being a genre I’m that interested in. I feel that at the moment the level of parody and humor in Dethspank is going to be on another level.

11. Andy says:

While I appreciate the humour in this title, I can’t help but be a little disappointed that it’s only wizards. The depth of variation in the characters was one of the things that made Torchlight and Diablo so replayable.
    Runic Games proved with Torchlight that people can develop in this genre just as well as Blizzard can but I fear that I might be done with dungeon crawlers for a while after Torchlight and despite Diablo 3 probably being years away I expect it to be my next one.

12. Bhazor says:

I’ll come right out and say that this looks more fun than Diabo 3.

Vitamin Powered says:

Anyone else getting a frozen GT “Loading your movie…” screen?

I’ll try rebooting Chrome in a minute or two, see if that makes a difference.

Astatine says:

Ooh, interesting.

I’ve been chasing after a good co-op hack-and-slash RPG to play at LAN parties for a long time. Diablo 3 isn’t out; Diablo 1 and 2 are too old, people complain about the graphics :) Torchlight would be perfect but doesn’t have any multiplayer support; Titan Quest has a broken experience allocation system that means that the better players end up several levels ahead almost instantly and stay there; we played Dungeon Siege a few times and liked it but lost our saves between parties and got bored of the intro.

Weirdly, the best right now might be Borderlands, even though it has guns rather than swords.

• Aganazer says:

You might want to look up Din’s Curse. It sounds perfect for your LAN party needs. :)

Its pretty much Torchlight, except with loads of cool interaction, dynamic quests, multiplayer coop, and slightly worse graphics, animation, and sound.

• Nox says:

Seconding the Din’s Curse recommendation. It’s not yet out of beta, but pre-purchasing gets you in and garners you a moderate discount, too, if Soldak prices the game as it did the original title in the series (Depths of Peril).

Torchlight will likely have spoiled you–both in graphics and audio–but the gameplay in Din’s Curse is far superior and infinitely more replayable. It’s a great deal more roguelike than any Diabloesque game I’ve played.

I hope it sells like hotcakes so that Steven Peeler (the designer) can invest the cash in a huge overhaul of the engine. Three games in, it’s still serviceable, but it also needs to be competitive. I know many people who have dismissed it based on its visuals. Then again, look at the Avernum games. Or rather, don’t. Play them without looking at them, if possible, since there’s an amazing amount of entertainment to be had if we all agree that graphics aren’t everything. I’ll admit that I sometimes struggle with this concept until something comes along that’s superior to most everything else out there.

Which is the case with Din’s Curse.

Also, Magicka looks awesome. I’m a whore for co-op games, especially when it features the ability to accidentally off your comrades. Wizard of War, mentioned earlier, was a good example, as was the original arcade Mario Bros. My friends and I called it Mario Rivals, since we basically threw cooperation out the window and did our best to get each other killed. Same with the C64 version of Castles of Dr. Creep and a handful of other games on the tips of my fingers that encouraged working together but were actually more fun when being spiteful. Or more funny, at least.

15. M.P. says:

Is anyone else having problems with viewing embedded gametrailers.com videos on RPS lately?

16. 7hm says:

Reminds me of NOX more than anything. Or at least the magicy part of NOX. Looks interesting.

17. EaterOfCheese says:

Videos not loading for me :(

18. Stefan says:

Yep, looks a bit like Nox, which is a good thing. I hope this “multiplatform” thing means Linux too.