The Din Crowd: Din’s Curse Demo

By Kieron Gillen on March 19th, 2010 at 10:28 am.

Dinner-Dinner-dinner-dinner BATMAN!

I’ve been meaning to play my preview code of this for a while, but have been pre-empted by its demo release. Since it’s the new game by Soldak – behind the ever-brilliant Depths Of Peril – I have high hopes for its Action-RPG multiplayer-includingness. It seems to be built on the ideological chassis of Depths of Peril’s dynamic approach, with 141 class combinations and a world that’s generated for each single game, from monsters to quests and… oh, you get the idea. I’m downloading now to have a crack, but you can join me or pre-order the full game for twenty dollars (which gives you access to the current Betas.) Some player-recorded Beta footage follows…

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Gladman says:

I’ll have a bash

2. Javier-de-Ass says:

love it. takes a couple of games to get into it

3. Oyvind says:

“have a crack” — quite fitting choice of words there.

4. ISPARTA says:

love it. takes a couple of games to get into it

5. Telperion says:

I’ll take Diablo 2 (with expansion pack) or Torchlight any day over this.
    It also sounds really stupid – especially annoying are the constant wheezing / whining that the monsters make.

• Kieron Gillen says:

Teleperion: It’s basically what you gain for what you lose. This is doing a lot of stuff which neither of those brilliant games is even thinking of trying.

KG

• Nick says:

Is Torchlight *really* a brilliant game? I thought it was quite depressing just how bland and repetetive they managed to make a Diablo clone, outside of the pretty colours.

Arathain says:

I think Torchlight is brilliant. I think a lot of us really enjoyed it.

• JuJuCam says:

I enjoyed Torchlight until the point that I didn’t enjoy it and haven’t enjoyed it since. I’m kinda conflicted about the whole click-fest ARPG thing… I like them but I just can’t bring myself to get very far with them. Fact is if Progress Quest was graphical I probably wouldn’t play any other game…

• Wulf says:

I enjoyed Torchlight and thought it was a gem of a game, but the thing with Torchlight is that it’s best played with mods, as many PC games in the past have been. There are mods which add new content, classes, quests, mechanics, and much, much more to the game. Even better is that there are new mods and updates for exiting mods being released daily, it has an incredible modding community.

One thing I’m really looking forward to is the steampunk Decimator Golem. Check out the videos for that, really, do. Yes, it’s a Warjack, but a Warjack rather brilliantly implemented via Torchlight’s gameplay mechanics, it’s truly inspiring stuff, and there’s lots like that out there. Once you get a bit bored of the content that’s there, get into the mods and I promise you, you won’t be disappointed, it really does add stuff that you wouldn’t have otherwise expected to see in Torchlight. I’m especially fond of the puzzle dungeons.

Finally (because I find this grating), it’s not a bloody Diablo clone, get yer facts straight! These guys are a large part of Blizzard North, you know, the Diablo people, the real Diablo people. The Blizzard types that are working on Diablo III? Not the Diablo people. Runic yes, Runic are. And therefore Torchlight is a spiritual sequel and successor to Diablo. They’ve got a bigger and better Torchlight in the works, too, sort of an action MMO dealie that I’m very curious about.

• pcgneurotic says:

Torchlight is moddable? Awesome, I had no idea.

• Feste says:

I thought Torchlight was a fun little game. I never quite reached the zen-trance that others have talked about, but it kept me busy until Desktop Dungeon came along to swallow my life whole.

6. alseT says:

While Depths of Peril left me a bit underwhelmed, Kivi’s Underworld was very addictive and fun. More of that and in multiplayer gets a thumbs up from me.

• alseT says:

Also I hop they make enough money to change their engine because it looks really dated, but that’s secondary to the gameplay.

7. JuJuCam says:

This video doesn’t seem to be making any attempt to sell any of the game’s unique features, at least in the first minute that I could bear to watch it for, which is a shame as having played Depths of Peril I know there is undoubtably incredible gameplay to be found here. Downloading demo now, thoughts soon.

8. H says:

Kieron, what’s with that ridiculous line of icons flashing in the bottom right of the game window?

H

• JuJuCam says:

Firstly it’s not KG’s recording, and secondly obviously the players who did record it had played before and didn’t feel the need to click through every help icon the game helpfully presented to them. The real question is why didn’t they see fit to simply turn off the help system?

9. Danny says:

Can’t really check right now, but does the demo support MP as well?

• JuJuCam says:

Doesn’t seem to, unfortunately, although it’s a fairly open demo besides that. I’ve only played about 10 minutes of it before it crashed but it doesn’t seem to lack any early level content that I can tell. Not really sure in what way it is limited, but again I didn’t get very far.

• JuJuCam says:

Turns out it’s capped at level 5 of your character and apparently level 7 of the dungeon. Plenty of time to get used to the gameplay and with many many character creation possibilities it’s not bad for 100megs to download and about 10 – 15 minutes to try.

10. Aganazer says:

That is a very old video from early beta. The interface was cleaned up a bit since then. They player in that video must have been new. They are clearly in the first dungeon and have no special skills yet. Those blinking “?” are help topics that they didn’t know how to turn off. Kinda silly really since all they had to do was click one and press the “Turn off help” button.

Its the kind of game that takes more than a first impression to appreciate. The random nature of the game is not immediately apparent. Each town is different. There are not only map tilesets and quests that change, but town modifiers as well that can be really cool. A town may be extra dark, have lots of earthquakes, undead problems, may be cursed, and the list could go on and on. It brings randomization to a level that even roguelikes haven’t achieved.

11. Huw says:

I haven’t actually tried this yet, but I can say that Depths of Peril is a *fantastic* game and I fully expect Din’s Curse to be even better. Grab the demo. Now!

12. Lucas says:

Torchlight is far from brilliant and it has terrible difficulty balance. I regret spending my $10 and 30 hours on it.

• Rinox says:

I can’t tell if you’re being ironic or not. :-)

• Wulf says:

I’m detecting irony, since you can figure out what Torchlight is going to be like after the first five hours, and you certainly wouldn’t play for 30~ hours unless you really liked what those first few hours gave you.

13. HYPERPOWERi says:

Loved the demo to bits. It’s just more than Diablo. There’s a lot of interactivity in the dungeons — you can quickly clear up a room of mobs by destroying a support pillar and collapsing a part of the ceiling for example. There are barrels of alcohol that can be destroyed and will leave a puddle of booze. The stuff is flammable. There’s gas leaks in the walls, explosive barrels, all ways of slimming mob hordes to gibs pretty effectively, as opposed to just being a gimmick.

There’s also a time factor in quests and town. Wandering merchants will come to the hub and stick around for some time. Most of them are specialised — I had a dagger merchant pass through the town for example. Quests change with the passage of time too. If you take too long getting around to a quest, it’ll likely become more difficult to accomplish. I remember ignoring a kill the named mob quest for too long. At some stage a message popped up saying that he’s begun building a defensive totem.

Another facet of awesome is the variety of classes. I’m a bona fide taffer with stealth and lock picking skills.

Give this a go!

• JuJuCam says:

The monsters seem to have issues with one another, too, constantly fighting each other. At one point a message popped telling me that a monster had changed class – effectively levelled himself up by fighting monsters. Pretty neat.

• Aganazer says:

That is just scratching the surface. Even after completing 30+ towns now, I am still finding new events, new situations, new surprises all the time. The crazy events combined with the tried and true diablo-style hack’n’slash and multiplayer with my wife has made for some compelling gameplay.

BTW, no one has mentioned the awesome user license. All family members in one house can play the game coop together with just one game purchase. Its perfect for married couples and families that play games together. The LAN multiplayer works real smooth to.

• HYPERPOWERi says:

If you have an active kill-unique-mob quest and take your time with it, the mob will end up sending an assassin into town. The assassin will likely kill off the merchants if you don’t stop him. You get offered quests to escort new merchants into town. Freaking awesome.

14. Eric says:

As a big fan of Depths of Peril, I picked this up on pre-order a few weeks ago and have been really digging the beta. It gets patched almost constantly, and is getting pretty close to release if the version numbers are any indication (obviously, having a demo out there is a good hint, too).

The “wandering hero” concept is a pretty cool one, never done quite this way as far as I can recall. Soldak’s games always seem to have a “hook” – Depths of Peril’s hook was that you were in competition with other heroes for prestige and influence in the town you were saving; the hook of Din’s Curse is that each new town, its dungeon and its quests are dynamically generated, but your character stays constant between them, so you have an evolving hero always tackling new challenges in new places. I like the idea.

It doesn’t have the flash or polish something like Diablo 3 will, no, but it’s trying something different and $20 was IMO a pretty good price for it. Don’t regret my purchase at all.

15. Torgen says:

Downloaded and just saved the first town. Blew a quest because I didn’t get down to level 5 of the dungeon in time (darn my completionist nature!) Gonna pick this up when it comes out, and try to get some friends to do the same.

16. Aaron says:

i really wish they would get the full game up on Steam in time for release. i know they want to sell it themselves through their own website, but places like Steam/Impulse/D2D/Gamersgate would really help sell this game like hotcakes.
    i just prefer Steam because it makes licensing easy and the auto-updating of patches is awesome. plus i tend to lose track of all my old indie games i bought over the years.

17. FancyPants says:

I liked Depths of Peril a lot but the thing that made it unique from other ARPG’s (the diplomacy system between clans) annoyed me sometimes when I wasn’t in the mood for it.

I hope this demo release means the final version is ready to go…I prefer not to play betas regardless of how polished or near release they are since they always seem to sour my expectations and ruin the finished product (I’m weird like that, I know…)

18. Markoff Chaney says:

Cheers for the heads up. Fantastic stuff. Spent a few hours on the demo alone. Pre-ordering the game now. Kivi’s was nice, but not quite random enough for me. This, on the other hand, is like everything I wanted from Torchlight. Not saying Torchlight is bad, but, for all its randomness, it’s rather static to some degrees.

Let’s query some of the awesomeness I’ve hit upon so far: Feuding monster factions that will fight each other, giving you some breathing room until they have a truce, then will attack your town? Timed quests impossible to accomplish because sometimes /random rolls you a 1 and you botch? LAN play for the wife and myself with a singular license/purchase? Bosses that can be killed by other bosses? Bosses who can build defensive structures and level up if you take too long to get to them? Customizable and creatable classes? No DRM? Small development group I can support with my dollars? SOLD! Thanks again for the heads up.

19. Lucas says:

No irony intended. I have a completionist streak, and it’s a lot like being punished for making poor purchasing decisions. I’m also right at the end of the game but will have to grind a few hours to be able to survive the final few floors (played on hard, it’s still too easy until the difficulty spikes crazily).

• Lucas says:

Curse the failing reply button. I was still talking about Torchlight.

Depths of Peril is still on my “to try” list, and Din’s Curse sounds very interesting.

20. Mudpig says:

Would have played it, but I can’t make it run on Windows 7 – shame that!

21. Fiatil says:

Runs just fine on 7 for me.

22. John Peat says:

Just wanted to say thanks for highlighting this and DoP to me -I’d somehow missed these gems before.

DoP, in particular, is an AMAZING game – the world has more life than any other action RPG I’ve played, it makes Torchlight (a game I otherwise love) feel very repetitive and boring by comparison.

More love needed for these games!!

23. JimmyJames says:

I liked Depths of Peril and just pre-ordered this yesterday–I’m enjoying the beta a lot. Thanks for the heads up.

24. Steven Peeler says:

Thanks for all of the kind words everyone!