This Sporting Mod: TF2’s Great Class Dash

By Alec Meer on March 19th, 2010 at 6:21 pm.

If you thought our second Canabalt-like game of the day had little hope of competing with a game about a robot unicorn. You’d be wrong. But if you thought our second Canabalt-like game of the day had little hope of competing with a game with an Erasure soundtrack, you’d be right. The Great Class Dash may stumble on the music front, but it’s an ace little puzzle-platformer, and it’s also the prettiest Team Fortress 2 – for which it is a mod – has ever been.

Out goes the high-speed shooting’s gone, in comes high-speed problem solving. Your character auto-runs to the right at all times, and as in Canabalt et al it’s your job to steer him out of the way of deadly obstacles. Jump, Scout! Wait, no! Switch to the Heavy and smash through that wall instead. No, wait! Become a Sniper to scare away that scary snake. Wait, no! Jump, Scout!

The key challenge is remember which key transforms you to which class so that you can deal with whatever fail condition is impending, and increasingly to immediately switch to another class afterwards. It’s very cute, and very pretty – and also a very early build, which is why the jumping’s a bit off and characters occasionally get stuck in the floor. It’s a lovely demonstration of how excellent the TF2 artstyle and universe is, and it’s yours for 70-odd megawotsits.

If you can’t wait, it looks like this:

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. skinlo says:

On a similarish note, a new TF2 update was released yesterday, containing community made stuff.

2. The Hammer says:

Very nice idea. I loved Trine’s gameplay mechanic, of which this seems to taken inspiration from. Though are all the classes represented, because if so that’s bound to get overwhelming! I’d get a headache just managing them all.

3. Inigo says:

You reminded me of this:
    (Does not contain unicorn penis)

4. mcwizardry says:

That’s quite a clever mod, although understably a little buggy.

5. Casimir's Blake says:

I should hope that’s a Godley & Creme reference…

6. DMcCool says:

I’m all out of megawotsits. Do they accept hyperquavers?

Thats all I got.

7. Mad Doc MacRae says:

Oo, this looks good. I’ll DL it either when I go back to better internet at university or when it’s farther along in development.

8. ZIGS says:

The music reminded me of No One Lives Forever

9. Man Raised By Puffins says:

Lovely idea, but it’s just too glitchy at the moment to be properly playable. Certainly one to keep an eye on though.

@ ZIGS: It’s the music from Meet The Demoman.

10. Tei says:

I think a interface like a circle that shows wen you press teh button, and select choicing what part of the roulette pick, could be better to this than a keyboard.

11. Tyshalle says:

It’s a bit crazy. I don’t know if all the classes are represented, but six definitely are. Scout, Heavy, Sniper, Pyro, Medic and Spy. I made it through 3.5 of the 4 or 5 levels included, but once you have to start with the rapid-fire juggling between six classes, where you literally might switch 3 classes in 4 seconds or less, but if you do it too fast the game will glitch and you’ll have to shut down the whole thing and restart it all over again, well, I sort of gave up on it. Pretty neat though.

12. westyfield says:

The head-bopping snake at the end made me particularly happy.

13. TheSombreroKid says:

too buggy to actually get through, but very nice, i can see this taking off.

14. Urthman says:

I haven’t ever bothered to download and install my Orange Box TF2 because I am a misanthrope. But I would absolutely download the 17 Gigaquavers of TF2 just to play this cool little thing.

Can we please have Trine-platformer be one of the major game genres now? I’d accept that new Lara Croft game if it’s sufficiently awesome. And maybe the Bionic Commando remake. I still need to try that.