More Free Time For Cheap Champs

By Jim Rossignol on March 20th, 2010 at 8:32 am.

Cryptic, they say:

Free access to Champions Online begins Friday March 26, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. PDT and ends Monday March 29, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. PDT.

This latest round of free time can be made use of by signing up on their site, from where you can also preload the client for the free event, should you be so inclined.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. BobJustBob says:

What a weak trial. You won’t have time to do anything. Shouldn’t they be begging people at this point? Offering, say, a two-week free trial and half off the first month for new and lapsed accounts?

2. DMJ says:

Actually the length of trial sounds about right. I’d get bored of the character creator after a weekend.

Wait, there’s more to the game than “jaw size” sliders?

3. malkav11 says:

Hmm. I don’t begrudge them free weekends, but it should be in addition to having a regular 14-day trial available. I want to try games on -my- schedule, for more than a day or two.

Hodge says:

Can’t argue with that screen shot.

5. DJ Phantoon says:

I’d like to love the game, I really would, but it probably still doesn’t have enough content. Suffers from the same problem Tabula Rasa did.

6. Wulf says:

This was a fine game in beta, even in the open beta, but after that Roper really got his hooks into it and started messing around. The worst part of it was that they made the balance so that 3 weeks/one month’s worth of content turned into three months of content, but making some grinding necessary and reducing the power of the heroes massively.

There are only two ways to heal Champions:

1. Kick Roper off the team and restore the power statistics that were in place in the open beta.
    2. Use a server emulator which is compatible with the open beta client.

The free Vibora Bay expansion sounds interesting though, if they finally start adding free content and restoring the power levels of the heroes, then that game could be salvaged. I think the best way to show that that’s underway though is to boot the man who was largely responsible for the changes that took it downhill. :/

• Zyrusticae says:

I’m wondering what kind of insider information you got that allowed you to determine that Roper was the sole instigator of the launch-day rebalancing patch.

Or that he even had that much power in the first place, for that matter.

Personally, I’m having massive fun with the game as it is. The change was entirely necessary – the game was just too much EZ-mode in OB (and in CB, for that matter), allowing every gimped build in existence to push to 40 while builds that actually had thought put into them just steamrolled all the content (including GROUP content, which is obviously a huge problem).

Besides, they’ve been rebalancing things in the months since launch, and there aren’t quite so many “traps” as there used to be. Open missions and patrol missions give more XP, there’s more missions in general, and besides which you can level to 40 entirely through PvP (my favorite method, personally). Not too shabby, really.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Argh, angry bot ate my post.

Look, I disagree. You SHOULD be able to get to max level with any “build” because the idea is that it’s open ended as to what powers you can take. Granted, people that can be bothered to do math on such a bizarrely arcane system (why is ego its own stat?) will end up with better characters, but I’d rather just pick things that are fun and not be gimped because of it.

Sidenote: Shouldn’t they be allowing people to patch NOW, rather than on the day the re-trial opens?

ilurker says:

According to wiki it looks like Roper stepped down a few days ago. There’s a notice on the site welcoming a new person to his position.

• Zyrusticae says:

Thing is, you have to actively and knowingly work towards something that obviously doesn’t work (multiple powers with overlapping roles, i.e. a bunch of AoE attacks, no self-buffs, passives, or heals of any kind, etc.) to really make a gimped (and I mean truly gimped) character in CO. You can be successful with a single attack (yes, just one) if you just know where to put your advantage points (i.e. on that single attack ASAP) and to pick up a passive of some kind. Not much of a learning curve there, and please forgive me if I lack any sympathy for folks who can’t figure out something that simple.

All of my characters have been concept characters, and they’ve all worked out just fine simply because I have a basic working knowledge of the game’s systems. There’s a difference between making “fun” builds and making “stupid” ones…

7. steveballmer says:

I’m there baby!

8. FluffyM says:

Surprised it’s not free2play yet tbh.

9. Torgen says:

I’m downloading through Steam. I know of only one friend who liked it, but figure I’ll mess around with the character creator while eating birthday cake next weekend :)

10. Torgen says:

Well, I’m using my old forum account, like they said, but it won’t let me connect. And not being a paying subscriber, I can’t even access the support forum to report my problem

11. rockinrickowen says:

Champions Online has pretty much redeemed itself. Communication has improved dramatically; most, if not all, of the bugs have been removed; Roper’s gone; VIBORA BAY IS FANTASTIC; melee has finally been de-nerffed, and the pvp guys are enjoying themselves once again.

WHAT’S LEFT: Cryptic has vowed to be adding content every month, albeit not as sizable as the Vibora Bay package. One legitimate complaint that VB didn’t address was the lack of content on the lower levels. By lack of content, I mean that although there are plenty of missions to do without grinding, you have to repeat those missions when you’re leveling up a different character.

But still, major major major improvements, and CO is still the greatest MMO in terms of gameplay—fast, fast, fast action.