Why, It’s The Future Wars Demo

By Jim Rossignol on March 20th, 2010 at 8:23 am.

German developers Radon Labs have turned their attention from RPGs to turn-based Battle Isle type strategy, with their new game Future Wars. Assuming your weekend isn’t already crammed full of pre-ordained game action then you might want to check out the first five levels of the game, here. It’s a mere 325mb of demo.

, .

1. ThatBigChicken says:

Played the first 3 missions. Boring setting, boring units, almost no tactics involved. Spend those precious weekend minutes on something else people.

• Feste says:

But it’s pretty! And with sea the colour of… actually I’m not sure if that’s even water, it looks like the stippling on a ceiling. In the future all wars are on the ceiling!

2. rosamez says:

Is it only me who thought about the adventure game Future Wars for a split second?

• l1ddl3monkey says:

No, I also thought of Future Wars. Mainly in a “Future Wars was a lot better than this” sort of way.

3. supertonic says:

Nope, I also thought of the old Delphine adventure game. Their games were f*cking awesome (though also f*cking hard).

4. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

I immediatly thought of Advanced Wars, and amnow going to track down my game and play some of it.

5. Phydaux says:

Technical competence is a big thing for me when I buy/play a game. I should have known from the installer falling over that this was going to be a shit game. It didn’t trigger the UAC for what ever reason, so it couldn’t write any files to Program Files.

I decided to load it up anyway. It doesn’t auto-detect my monitor resolution (not a massive issue but if your going to insist on fullscreen you’d better match my monitor/desktop resolution). The intro titles flip if you cancel through them and I also managed to crash the game in the profile creation screen, and you can too: Just click New Profile and then press the Home key or move the cursor to the start of the text box then press any letter. Insta-crash.

Moving to the actual game, the dialogue at the start is terrible, maybe just too American for me. “douche” seriously, oh well. Pity I didn’t get to read all the dialogue because some of my clicks counted as double or triple clicks and the message boxes just flashed up and away.

I can’t just end my turn when I’m done, I have to go through each unit and set it to stay put. Uuuurgh.. Maybe there is more game past the first level but it’s thrown up so many walls to stop me playing I’m going to take it’s advice and just leave it alone.

What a waste of time and bandwidth.

6. Igor Hardy says:

Why name another game Future Wars? This will only lead to confusion.

• Clovis says:

Because only old AG nerds know about the other one. Causing confusion for that niche will hardly impact sales or anything.

They might as well release a shooter called Grim Fandango. Or maybe that should be an “action adventure” like Uncharted 2. “Day of the Tentacle” as a JRPG. Oh wait, that’s a terrible idea …

7. Koozer says:

When I first saw the picture I thought “Advance Wars.” Then I read the title and thought “Advance Wars.” Then I played the demo and thought “Advance Wars.”

This is Advance Wars. But rubbish.

• mcnubbins says:

That’s interesting! I’ve never played a rubbish Advance Wars, but somehow these guys made one? Someone should give them an award!

• Heliocentric says:

I played a hobbyist translated rom of the gameboy famicon/advance wars games. The story had been filled with racial slurs, the graphics looked like they were crapped out by a calculator, but the gameplay was still relivent.

If its crap, its not like advance wars, not at all.

8. Cinnamon says:

Is there some sort of small turn based strategy boom going on? It just seems like I’m being spoiled for choice recently after a dry period.

9. Lucas says:

It’s a pretty and colorful screen shot. I watched a Red Dead Redemption trailer yesterday, and the lack of colors stuck out like a sore thumb. Just Cause 2 puts it to shame.

• Eight Rooks says:

Funny, I watched the same trailer and saw plenty of them. You might want to see a medical professional about that.

In other news, I swear to God if I could remove one idiot belief from the videogames fan community there’s a very good chance it would be the poisonous nonsense that, say, any other blues than #0000FF and #00FFFF simply do not exist.

10. Tull. says:

Does it have little combat animations from like Advance Wars? Loved those.

11. Mad Doc MacRae says:

They managed to make an Advance Wars clone unintuitive and unfun, and included characters and dialogue that makes Advance Wars look like Scorsese. Even Days of Ruin.

12. Luchian says:

Ahh, I remember Future Wars. One of the two games that got me to buy a PC in the first place. The other one was Stunt Island. Not the best adventure game out there, but it certainly had a unique charm and it still has a place in my collection today. Actually wouldn’t mind a sequel to that… this game however, not interested at all.

13. SheffieldSteel says:

In the future, all farms will grow square vats of acid. At least, judging by the colours in the screen shot.

How is it apart from the graphics being a bit odd?

14. jsutcliffe says:

Bah, “turn-based Battle Isle type strategy” says YES but these comments say NO. It’s a shame — I’d love the Battle Isle/History Line game style to make a comeback.

15. Zinaa says:

well, I think it will be more tactical playing against another player. especially in situations when both sides are evened. From what i’ve learned from the demo you really need to take care of every single unit. Speed is essential. Losing to much ground may end up in total defeat, because it (as far as I learned) takes way to long to reinforce your army at the front. Holding specific locations could also give you some advantages. Units cannot be stapled on one place, so if you hold a small one-field passage to your city the enemy have to move his units one by one through there, so you can take him out one by one even if you are totally outnumbered. Well, so I believe there IS tactic in this game, depending on the AIs level or how good your human enemy plays ;)

16. PDFok file says:

Thanks! What I dislike about this game it’s that for starters, there aren’t any commander abilities or super weapons to help liven up gameplay. Without that, there main character lacks a strong sense of identity, and it’s difficult to care about anything that goes on in the story.((