More Things In Heaven And Earth: Hamlet

By Kieron Gillen on March 22nd, 2010 at 5:30 pm.

I wanted to do the header as something like 'can't make a hamlet without breaking a few eggs' which wouldn't fit. Man!

It’s an indie adventure based on Hamlet and out April 8th. That would probably be enough to justify a quick post. When the full title is “Hamlet or last game without MMORPG elements, shaders and product placement”… well, we’re only human. More info on their site, and footage follows…

Thanks to Jack de Quidt for the heads up.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. RLacey says:

“Based on” being quite a loose term, then.

Still, looks interesting to me…

2. GetOutOfHereStalker says:

well the full title pisses me off so im buying this one

3. DMcCool says:

You could actually make quite a comelling game out of Hamlet.

This doesn’t really look like it, does it? Still, er, great for the people that like that sort of puzzle game.

Also, is that really the best Hamlet pun we can come up with? Shakepeare is a pun goldmine.

4. stahlwerk says:

What’s so wrong about using shaders?

5. slngk says:

Obligatory Hamlet-as-text-adventure link:

6. HexagonalBolts says:

Ha, not quite how I imagined… well… any of the characters… And I don’t remember a giant octopus?

• skizelo says:

They gave Hamlet muscles? Fortinbras, sure; Laertes, sure; but a swashbuckling Hamlet just seems mental.
      Also, the play would be far superior if Hamlet was delivered back to Denmark by an octopus.

7. Brulleks says:

Oh dear. I read that as MILF2000′s Hamlet…

8. Kast says:

Uh, no thanks, I don’t think so.

9. robrob says:

Does anyone remember that example game that came with that ancient Game Maker thingy with a devil throwing pies at Romeo as he tried to rescue Juliet? I’m guessingthis continues that fine legacy of ‘based on’.

10. MWoody says:

I’d prefer a game based on Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead myself. The play/film already has game-y elements, most notably two characters drawn to an inevitable conclusion, and their struggle to break from said path. Any gamer who has ever pushed against an invisible wall, gazing longingly at the beautifully rendered but ultimately unreachable scenery just beyond, knows at least partially the sentiment it describes.

• Velvet Fist, Iron Glove says:

@MWoody Ha! I’d never thought of games before while watching it. Now I’m imaging Gordon Freeman, standing before Nihilanth, thinking, “there must have been a moment at the beginning, where I could have said no. Somehow I missed it. Well, I’ll know better next time.”

• Robomutt says:

Well the hero dude in this isn’t Hamlet is it? So already it’s like Rosencrantz and Gildenstern. Or is it Gildenstern and Rosencrantz? I actually watched RAGAD really recently. (Was in the mood for it having only just got round to watching the David Tennant RSC Hamlet).

Also, I watched it with my AmbX lights so it IS related to PC gaming so there :P

11. KLind says:

I will play this.

12. Wulf says:

Do you know what Internet people take too seriously?

Everything.

Me? I’m all for this! Bring on whatever oddities and serve up whatever peculiarities you have, Hamlet-Game-That-Is-Not-Entirely-About-Hamlet-At-All-Really-But-Is-All-The-More-Bloody-Hilarious-For-It-Anyway, serve them up with a side order of disturbing too, for I am not afraid and I will stand fast against your good humour! Or something!

13. Switchbreak says:

“The Adventures of Bob & Doug McKenzie: Strange Brew” is still the best Hamlet adaptation of all time.

14. Jugglenaut says:

I will totally play this. I’ve got such a large love of all humorous relations to Hamlet.

15. BonusWavePilot says:

@MWoody: You will note the mental fortitude with which I am resisting turning this comments thread into a game of questions…

Must….. not…..

16. unit335 says:

This reminds me of a game I played last year called: “Rigoletto: or the Interactive Opera Adventure Practically Unenjoyable by Those Who Prefer the Australian Muscat”

17. Dawn says:

Re Hamlet

Maybe I’m thick (and it has been said) but what do I need to do to open the padlock underwater? I assume it’s 3 smiley faces but is there a straightforward way to do it? Please help as my poor old brain is suffering

Comment on this story