I Ship Ships: Ironclads: Schleswig War 1864

By Kieron Gillen on March 23rd, 2010 at 3:19 pm.

Ba Ba Black Sheep, we have stolen your wool AND TURNED IT INTO A 1000FT COLUMN.

Totem games just won’t leave those ships alone. Following last year’s Ironclads: High Seas, here’s a demo for their new Ironclads: Schleswig War 1864. I think I can speak for RPS as a whole that we’ve been waiting for a game based on the Schleswig War since our formation in 1873. Who could resist a game where the – er – ships – er – did that… thing? Anyway – what does the new demo offer? Well, it’s about 100Mb bigger than the last, so you can imagine about 100Mb more stuff. Hurrah! The full game can be bought for eighteen euros from their site and some footage follows. Admittedly, footage of the previous Iron Clads: High Seas because there’s no Schleswig footage online yet. Man!

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Flameberge says:

I’m liking the fact you managed to tag it with ‘ronclads’. I wonder what Ron thinks about being used as cladding?

2. Electric Dragon says:

1864 would of course be the Second Schleswig War (/hastily closes Wikipedia tabs).

As Lord Palmerston is reputed to have said: “Only three people have ever really understood the Schleswig-Holstein business – the Prince Consort, who is dead – a German professor, who has gone mad – and I, who have forgotten all about it.”

3. Wisq says:

Wait, those long lines of ships … they’re firing at each other? At point blank range? And missing?
    Having been playing modern-naval-warfare-simulation Dangerous Waters these past few days, where everything occurs at insane modern distances, I just naturally assumed both lines were the same side, firing at some faraway opponent to the right. Which didn’t make for a terribly exciting video, really. :)

4. Flop says:

You guys need to get out more. First you tell me you don’t know what handball is, and now it’s the Schleswig War of 1864.

5. Pijama says:

2nd Schleswig War with a naval focus?

So that would be the mighty PRUSSIAN NAVY versus the Danes? wtf?

It’s like a Yankee cricket team playing against a team from Kazakhstan for the Ashes. Un-fucking-believable.

6. Flop says:

The Danish navy was superior to the Prussian at the time. The Danish army wasn’t…

7. neolith says:

Seems a little funny to me to do a naval simulation for a war where the more important fights have not taken place at sea… but other than that – yay, a game set in my home town! :D

8. Jonas says:

WHAT!? A game about a Danish war!? Now I’ve seen it all.

I recall reading that one of the major reasons Denmark lost that war was because our most awesome battleship suffered from a bit of a communications breakdown, which meant the captain was under the impression the pivotal battle was already lost, so he failed to come to the army’s aid because he didn’t want to risk his fancy ship.

That was more of less the point where we as a nation just gave up on proper war and stopped taking ourselves seriously as a military power. And not a moment too soon IMHO.

9. Zomby says:

That’s some seriously exciting footage there!

10. Gaytard Fondue says:

A video game with my hometown in it’s name? This is seriously f’ed up

btw, “Up ewig ungedeelt”!

Comment on this story