Rock, Paper, Shotgun Invades Steam

By John Walker on March 25th, 2010 at 8:29 pm.

Recurecursivesive.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Earth’s leading PC gaming site, is now appearing inside Steam. After having to go into our engine rooms and hit absolutely every single thing with a rusty spanner, we now have managed to bash and bend the thing so that it fits neatly into Steam’s news feeds. You’ll see our every update from within the Steam Beta (which appears to be working again now after a bit of a blip in the last 24 hours) if you head to the NEWS tab, and then find us in the column on the right. Or this link shows you the same on their site. And if we ever remember to capitalise our tags correctly, you should also see Steam game related news from our site appearing in Valve’s main news feed, and attached to the games themselves.

This would have been absolutely impossible without the help and genius of Jonathan Sutcliffe, who is our new all-time hero. We also owe special thanks to Phillip Wells for earlier support, and a giant thank you to Valve’s own John McCaskey for extraordinary patience in the face of our technical stupidity.

You can be assured that this does not change anything in regards to our content. If Valve starts killing baby seals, there will be the special thrill of seeing “VALVE MURDER BABY SEALS, NEWELL SEEN COVERED IN THEIR INNOCENT BLOOD” inside Steam’s own walls. It’s purely an RSS feed of our site in there – you’ll see us alongside Kotaku in that list.

You’ll still need to click through to our own magical site to read full stories, as is only good and proper. That’s how we make money so you can enjoy our lovely work. Other ways you can support us should you want to, by the way, include subscribing. Subscribers get awesome secret competitions, special offers, access to betas before we offer them on the main site, and a behind-the-scenes newsletter whenever I remember to write one. It’s the best cool gang.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Michael says:

Grats guys! I’m pretty new to RPS but I love it. Hope this gets you some more exposure and some more ad revenue.

2. Jockie says:

Very nice. Sadly last time I tried the Steam Beta all my overlays stopped working and there was missing text everywhere.

As far as gangs go RPS subs is closer to the The Warriors (cool) than Gary Glitters (not so cool)

• MuscleHorse says:

Jockie: That was an issue with an early version of the Beta and DirectX10/11. However, it’s getting updated on a semi-daily basis and has been quite smooth for some time now.

• Jockie says:

Ah cheers, I liked the design and was reluctant to revert but the in game friends list was completely broken, will have to grab it again.

3. Vinraith says:

It does indeed seem to be displaying fine in the Steam beta, formatting looks quite good. I don’t see any reason to open Steam to read game news, of course, but for those that do I suppose this is a nice feature. It’s hard to argue with anything that increases RPS’s visibility, after all.

• Surgeon says:

Yep same here. I’ll probably just stick to the tried and tested browser method.
      But it’s a great way of increasing the exposure of RPS.

Congrats gents!

4. Vadermath says:

I really hope we’ll be seeing pics of Newell covered in baby seal blood in the near future.

5. Linfosoma says:

First of all, congratulations; second, your page looks way better with their layout :D

• the wiseass says:

It doesn’t. I really really dislike white text on black background as my eyes can’t read it very well. So I’m still rooting for the RPS layout, go go go!

6. Alexander Norris says:

Now a whole new crowd of people can be exposed to the world’s most terrible puns.

(Hopefully, all the words scare the idiots away.)

7. Feste says:

It looks quite nice actually, amid the greys of the new UI. Very similar to the website actually, is the impetus behind the new beta? So that they can fall into line with our RPS Overlords?

Now I can read John’s reposts while playing Supreme Commander. Yay!

8. Mitheor says:

Nice.

I´m loving Steam as much as RPS so YAY!

9. Falsus says:

RPS == Rock, Paper, Steam?! I am confus!

10. James G says:

Congratulations. I shall now proceed to convert from RPS fanboy, to RPS hater and will define this as the moment you ‘Jumped the Shark.’ Nothing personal you understand, but in your transition to gaining greater success, someone needs to fill the embittered fan role. Don’t worry, I’ll continue to subscribe and to read the site daily, but my constant knockings of how you have ‘sold out’ will be used to shore up my own intellectual inferiority complex.*

* May all be a lie. This place is great.

• Psychopomp says:

They sold out long before you ever even heard their name. They sold their souls to make a PC blog.

• Fumarole says:

Who among the hivemind is the Hooker with a Penis, then?

11. Pace says:

Slightly off topic, but it’d be nice if there was a way to purchase a years subscription (or whatever) all at once for those of us who don’t care for the slow drip-feed method. Just a thought.

12. goodgimp says:

Sellouts! I remember when Rock, Paper, Shotgun was all rock ‘n roll and shit.

(P.S. – huge congrats to you all!)

• kalidanthepalidan says:

For serious! RPS used to be all punk rock and what not. Now their just laying at the feet of the man, doing his bidding. The man in this case being Gabe Newell. And his bidding being “tell people we make awesome games!” and “Say witty things!”

• JohnArr says:

I remember when http://www.rockpapershotgun.com just resolved to corn fields, far as the eye could see.

• sinister agent says:

Well, one out of three’s not bad, eh?

13. laikapants says:

(Very) Slightly surreal* commenting on this post via Steam.

Good on you, RPS folk!

*Okay it isn’t at all.

14. fearian says:

WHY ARE YOU NOT SHOWING A SCREENSHOT OF THIS ARTICLE IN STEAM?!?!

You could keep on taking the screenshot and sticking it in the article until you had a seemingly endless recursive effect.

SHAME ON YOU RPS. THIS IS A RED LETTER DAY.

and you’re ruining it. :<

15. Earl_of_Josh says:

First, this is totally awesome. RPS is a gift, and the world needs to experience it. Second, my condolences to whoever filters the L33T COMMENTORZZZ. Hopefully the new influx of folks will get the picture about how this site works in short order.

16. A Rather Well-Endowed, Angry, Woman says:

SELL OUTS! RPS ARE SELL OUTS!

WHY NOT USE IMPULSE?! HUH?

VALVe = Nazis
    Steam = Concentration Camps

Don’t like my comparisons? Well to hell with you because you’re all sheeple and I have seen the truth! Enjoy your Left 4 Dead 3 you sheep.

17. Torgen says:

No one has asked the most important question: If I read RPS through Steam, are you blokes compensated in any way? Or should I continue reading at the RPS Mothership URL so you get eyes on your banner ads?

• John Walker says:

To read the full stories you’ll have to do so via our site. So we get compensated that way.

• Feste says:

Are you sure about that? I can click a ‘more’ button and I seem to be able to see the entire story, comments and all.

• John Walker says:

Yup – that’s our site being rendered through Steam’s in-built browser.

• Feste says:

Ah, right sorry. I misunderstood what you meant about coming to your site. It does look good in Steam.

• Thermal Ions says:

Nice, I can safely read browse RPS via Steam with a clear conscience then.

Unfortunately, if I try to read a story in the Steam browser (using the more button) I get a flickering page load and an error “unable to load page, unsupported page format”. While clicking away the message allows the page to be viewed I note that the top banner ad isn’t displaying – so maybe it’s the issue.

18. Heliosicle says:

Congrats! You guys are certainly going up in the world.

On slightly ontopic note, is anyone actually running the UI beta? It wasnt working this morning for me, and I edited the shortcut to turn it back to the old version, but now I can’t change it back to the beta at all, it’ll just start, get to 27% updated and revert to the old version :/

• Heliosicle says:

Turns out it was steam being cranky, clicking cancel as it updated and opening steam again made it work.

• Don says:

Steam flaked out in some fashion yesterday. The UI came up and I could get into L4D but joining games didn’t work.Oddly lobbies did but when I started a game from one it ran locally instead of on a dedicated server which didn’t please the other 3 players as I had a ping of 4 whilst theirs was ~1500.

And earlier today I couldn’t connect to Steam at all which gave me chance to try offline mode. The top tip I picked up in a forum the other day is to turn off/yank the cable to your router if your’re going through one. Apparently being connected to a router convinces the client that the internet must be out there somewhere even if there’s a disconnect locally or at the Steam side. Which is why it takes so long to get round to offline mode. This worked like a charm, router on Steam sat there telling me the Steam service was not available, router off and it immediately offered to go into offline mode.

19. Phillip Wells says:

Sorry I wasn’t able to be more help, but glad to hear you found someone to work the necessary magic in the end.

20. Stense says:

By golly you are right. Its been all a steamified and such.

Marvellous.

21. tekDragon says:

Excellent news…

Now can we request a recurring series about how it’s ludicrous for games on steam to have additional DRM at all…? Please?

22. Pew says:

Fancy! Congratulations are in order!

23. MadTinkerer says:

Valve = American, RPS = British. Reminds me a bit of the Allies teaming up in WW2. Now we just need an RPS story on a Russian developer to appear in the Steam news feed to complete the reunion. Or something like that.

• Tei says:

Ubisoft is french.

• Bret says:

So, we should resume the DRM==Hitler discussions, then. Noted.

• Malibu Stacey says:

There’s a Wot I Think for Metro 2033 posted after this & it won’t be long before we get more S.T.A.L.K.E.R. posts here. Now we need some ANZAC related posts & the circle will be complete.

24. mcwizardry says:

Congratulations!

25. Thants says:

Neat. I’m not entirely sure why I’d want to use Steam for this, though. It’s an RSS client that can only read four specific sites.

26. Beavis says:

steam is irrelevant to gaming

you wasted your time imo

• Feste says:

It’s nice to see RPS supporting Steam while the platform is in its infancy. Hopefully it will grow up big and strong into a nice, well-mannered monopoly.

• 12kill4 says:

Hip hip for the benevolent Dictator!

27. makr says:

But it’s still not recursive enough! http://imgur.com/K73He.jpg

28. Ginger Yellow says:

Really? A Steam feed so soon after the redesign? THIS IS NOT ENOUGH CONTENT FOR A FULL PRICED POST. It could have been included as free content in the original redesign if you ask me. I will not be buying RPS 2. Also, where is Episode 3?

29. Azradesh says:

Recursive…

30. rocketman71 says:

So, speaking of Steam: Valve finished the L4D2 sale 5 hours earlier than they promised, and now are editing the news items and deleting the “until Thursday at 4 PM PDT”.
    Not very classy, Valve. I expected more of you.
    PS.- Also they’re answering from support saying

Unfortunately the sale price for this title has been reverted to its original price.
    Our billing system is automated we have no method available to “rollback” a sale price once that sale has expired.
    This means we will be unable to extend the previously discounted prices for these items.

So, also inept. Just great.
    PPS.- Damn you useless cite tag, and damn having to edit from the forum and losing half the line breaks :/

• Rosti says:

@rocketman71 – Going to chime in on this briefly – I got caught out by this one. Just about managed to band together 3 commitments for a 4 pack (plus myself, obviously!) and logged on at what Google told me was 12:03pm PDT to grab the joy and… nothing!

At the time, L4D2′s page was proudly boasting “0% off”, which stung a little. Now, I’m actually not upset by that in itself, but when someone at Valve has gone to the trouble of editing the news posts to remove the reference to 4pm PDT and *not* issued any kind of apology? Like you said, not classy at all.

As others have pointed out, there’s a few UK retailers offering it at £15, so it’s only an extra £3.75, but that’d get me Torchlight this weekend. Y’know, if I didn’t already have it…

• DarkNoghri says:

I seem to recall that inserting break tags from the forums still worked. And is the non-forum edit button broken again?

Edit:Yes, yes it is.

31. JuJuCam says:

I was into them before the Steam Age, their earlier stuff was better of course, but I don’t begrudge them for selling out. I mean, I’d do it. <3

32. Carra says:

It’s the British Invasion all over again!

33. FiX says:

Ding! Congratulations people, always good to see those championing PC gaming get some well-deserved recognition from outlets like steam. Keep up the good work

34. IcyBee says:

@rocketman71

If you’re in the UK, head over to amazon.co.uk or gameplay.co.uk. They’ve been selling L4D2 for £15 for a while now.

It takes a few days longer, but you get a shiny disc and save on any download quota your ISP might impose.

35. Bret says:

Congratulations to the #1 PC gaming site on Earth.

It’s nice to see that, when Gabe inevitably unleashes the Strider hordes and turns the planet into a dystopian nightmare, the right folks will live in luxury while everyone else toils in the salt mines.

36. boldoran says:

So there is an RSS Reader that can be pointed to any Site in the new Steam client? Since you are announcing it it is probably something more exclusive. If so you should start handing out user ids to your currently registred users so that we people with low digit ids can make fun of the new kids that only found out about RPS through Steam.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

@boldoran – If you’ve registered on the fora, you’ll already have a user id. Mine is 1760, which was a good year.

37. Dan says:

You guys are going to be the first with your backs against the wall when the revolution comes.

38. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Oooh, nifty.

Although the in-Steam-browser still performs quite poorly, and stupidly does not have an editable address bar — which would be quite handy to use from the in-game overlay, for like, looking up news and game hints or whatever.

But nice work on being the second non-Valve feed to enter the Steam age.

• Malibu Stacey says:

That’s annoying if they’ve removed it in the new UI. I liked the way I could pop the overlay up & browse RPS while I waited for a slot to open on my regular pub TF2 servers simply by typing the URL into the community page. Was hoping the new UI when it goes fully fledged rather than beta would allow even more tomfoolery of that ilk with its newfangled browsing widgets & what not.

39. invisiblejesus says:

The guy who started writing this post was about to make a joke about boycotting RPS. I hit him with a crowbar. You’re welcome.

40. x25killa says:

I like Steam and I like RPS.

They are together now…

41. Leesping says:

Man, this is precisely the problem with RPS these days…

They swan around with their fancy new designs flaunting their perky well-formed articles, jiggling flirtatiously in these suggestive low-cut Steam dresses and totally lead you on. But when you sit outside their bedroom windows taking pictures from the bushes all of a sudden you’re made out to be some dangerously perverted criminal, and before you know it a stern-faced judge with a sense of humour failure is ordering you to stay 50 megabytes away at all times. :(

Seriously though, this is pretty fucking awesome RPS. I love you all this much: <3

42. kyynis says:

SUP DAWG WE HERD YO LIKE GAME BLOGS SO WE

I’m terribly sorry. I’ll be ending myself just behind the corner.

43. Mungrul says:

Great for the added exposure you guys’ll get, but it won’t stop me having you permanently tabbed in Firefox at both work & home.
    And as a reader, it ain’t gonna replace my beloved Google Reader.

44. The Dark One says:

I see you still haven’t switched to using img title instead of alt text, though. :v

45. Rob says:

Well done boys!!

46. Voice of the Majority says:

Hmmm, I see a not so distant future where I will have to log into steam if I want to check the weather.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Yes because web browsers will all dissapear after the great web browser epidemic of 2017 & all web content will have to be delivered via RSS feed through your internet tubes from that day forth.
      There will be rumours (on the internets) of something known as NCSA Mosaic which allows people to break free from the shackles of RSS feed oppression but it will be an underground movement spreading this code, kept hidden away from the eyes of the tyrannical RSS regime & used with fear under cover of darkness.

47. TooNu says:

Congratulations are in order :) good job!

48. Pod says:

So does this mean we’ve have a complete infux of rabid spacks and angrier internet men?
    Have the commen threads been doomed to hell? Could they even get worse than this very post!?!

• Malibu Stacey says:

You meant worse than it already is at present in the current situation right here & now?

• Thermal Ions says:

@Pod: No, that would only be if the feed formed part of the Steam forum.

49. mod the world says:

Congrats, seems like those 20 stories about Portal 2 paid off!