Really Scrape The Sky: Majesty 2: Kingmaker

By Kieron Gillen on March 26th, 2010 at 4:30 pm.

The sexiest thing about orcs are their tusks. I could just lick them all day. Sexy licky orc tooth.

I ended up not actually playing any more of Majesty 2 after its pre-release code, but Alec didn’t find its city-management totally revolting. Or at least it didn’t increase the amount of dark woe in his black heart more than was there before he started playing, leading him to descend into his special dank pit, to carve gargoyles of all those who raise his ire. Which translates to “Quite Good” or “7/10, probably” in most people’s scales. Anyway, its expansion is out now. Its top-level features are a new campaign, a randomise feature to add to a mission’s replayability and more mod support. Full details and purchase options on its site and the launch trailer can be found below. Any big Majesty 2 fans in the house? By which I mean, website comments thread.

And now this has got me listening to early nineties indie-nobodies Kingmaker.

I’m too easily impressionable, me. No-one try and sell me any magic beans. I need this cow. My mum will kill me if you make me give it awa…

Okay. Beans! Magic beans!

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Bakaneko says:

Hmm… I bought it the original on Steam and this isn’t being listed as an option.

Ah well, I enjoyed the game OK, but I can miss the expansion, I suppose. The random generator would have been nice though.

2. Warspawn says:

I just saw that it was available on Stardock Impulse, I added my retail box registration to it and it worked just fine to get the expansion.

I’ve always enjoyed the Majesty series. The editor should help to make the game last a long time.

3. DanPryce says:

It’s nice to know that traditional expansion packs are still being released in this age of DLC.

4. LintMan says:

I didn’t really care for Majesty 2. The premise is appealing, but it would have worked better for me with more city-building and less direct dealing with the heroes (ie: not having to buy them from the guilds, constantly put incentive markers everywhere to get them to do anything, resurrect them yourself, etc). Having to micro-manage them *indirectly* just made it annoying. If they were much more autonomous and my job was to primarily build the infrastructure to attract the heroes I needed and support them, that would have been much better – something a little more like Sim City and a little less like an RTS. As it was, Majesty 2 played like a weak RTS that didn’t give you direct control over your units.

5. Gotem says:

I liked a lot the original majesty.
    I bought Majesty 2 when it was at $10 USD on impulse. It’s very similar to the original so that’s a good thing in my book. But what is ruining it for me is frequent freezes.
    Browsing on their forums I’m not alone on that, and I’ve tried the sugestions of lowering the details and everything.
    Right now what I have to do is save the game every minute or so.

For me there is no worse thing in a game than forcing the player to repeat an already played part.

Anyone with better luck than me?

• LintMan says:

I had horrible freeze-up problems, also. (Which didn’t help me like the game ay better).

I thought I was the only one since there wasn’t a peep about in on the Paradox forums. So I finally posted a message there asking about it and was told I had to register the game to see the (hidden) tech support forum. So I registered, found the forum and it turned out a ton of people had the same problem. This sort of cheesed me off because I sometimes check out the a game’s forums looking for problems with a game before buying it, and for them to hide the forum from even viewing permission until after you buy the game seems a bit deceptive.

6. SpinalJack says:

That was one of the worst trailers I’ve seen

7. Heliocentric says:

So, anyone who got it on steam can get bent then?

8. Calabi says:

Its worth it just for the Arnie impression.

9. Teachable Moment says:

+1 for early-90s indie reference in title.

10. Vinraith says:

I adored the original Majesty games, but I’m having a hard time getting into Majesty 2. It’s hard to put my finger on why, exactly, but a lot of the original’s charm seems to be missing. Absent that, the frustration seems to outweigh the fun. It’s a damn shame, too, developers/publishers that are still putting out real expansion packs deserve support.

11. JimmyJames says:

I stopped playing Majesty 2 pretty soon after I bought it as my saved games kept getting corrupted. After the 2nd time NEARLY getting to the end of the campaigns, and without a random map system in place, I just said screw it and uninstalled.

Think I’m going to give this a whirl, but the above comments with freezing issues are a little troubling. Have the savegame issues been handled in patches by now?

• Gotem says:

Never had any problem with the savegames, and believe me I have to save a lot.
      I’ve noticed there is a new patch from last week, going to try it tonight and see if the freezes are gone.
      They are the ‘reboot computer’ nasty kind

Carra says:

I absolutely loved the original Majesty. It’s a game I get out every year and play all over again. The random scenarios makes sure it replayable.

As for Majesty 2? I finished the game but after that there’s nothing to see. The heroes themselves also didn’t have enough flair. It was more fun with fewer but more unique classes. Fun game but nothing great.

13. Ken McKenzie says:

Yes, an early 90s Indie reference is absolutely the last thing I’d expect from Keiron.

Mind you, if someone offers you a feed line, it is very rude indeed not to take it.

I really ought to like this game, and if I can ever extract myself from under this huge rock marked ‘Addiction to Europa Universalis 3′, then I will give it a go. However, that sure is a heavy rock.

14. Jimbo says:

Majesty 2 is excellent… for precisely one level. Everything after that is essentially just a repeat – there’s really not a great deal to be had out of the full game that you can’t just get from the demo.

I have no idea if this was there intention, but it’ works pretty well as a commentary on MMOs and MMO players.

15. goodgimp says:

Paradox is intentionally moving Majesty 2 towards an “RTS” game rather than a “SIM” game and I think it suffers because of it. It has none of the appeal of the original and as far as RTS goes it pales in comparison to the competition out there. I think they made a big mistake with the direction they took the franchise.

Also, it should be important to note that the randomization feature they tout is available on vanilla Majesty 2 via a patch.

• Vinraith says:

@goodgimp

Paradox is just the publisher, 1C’s the developer, so if anyone’s “moving it towards an RTS” it’d be them.

And yes, they were kind enough to patch several of the new features from the expansion into the original game as a bonus for existing customers. That’s a good thing.

• goodgimp says:

@Vinraith: Yes and no. Paradox is the publisher, but it goes beyond the typical Dev / Publisher relationship. Paradox is funding the title but contracting the dev work out to 1C. Design decisions are being made by Paradox, that’s why I lay the “More-RTS-Less-Sim” decision at their feet.

• Vinraith says:

@goodgimp

Ah, I didn’t know that. Are they doing that a lot these days?

• Cinnamon says:

There was way too much memorization and “uber micro” style clicking going on in Majesty 2 but it sort of worked as a sequel anyway. I played it all the way through at least but the idea of an expansion with more challenge levels like the last four or so in the single player does not appeal to me. At all.

16. hydra9 says:

I saw Majesty 2 for £4.99 in GAME the other day. I was tempted but, thanks to this informative comments thread, I now feel I made the right decision in leaving it on the shelf.

17. jti says:

Does anyone know if the new campaing is better than the original? I mean that it’s not based on some dragon or rat destroying your stuff early in the mission and after you deal with that it’s all about grinding the monster lairs down.

Majesty 2 in itself was a fine game, but the campaing desing was way off. Maybe it’s too much to hope, that the expansion would correct this?

18. Frye says:

I thought Majesty 2 was well worth the 10 euros i paid for it. Despite its flaws it was different from other games and nice to sometimes sit back and watch what’s going on in the world. Sometimes the odds were impossible to beat and it was best to just restart the level and hope for more luck. But i finished it and enjoyed it.

19. Jason says:

Kingmaker were terrible. “Eat Yourself Whole” was a double bummer for me because I went a weekend without beer due to spending my last cash on that album.

• Cinnamon says:

The best think that I can say about Kingmaker is that they were not Shed Seven.

20. Psychopomp says:

You’re only fueling the inevitable slashfic, when you use alt-text like that

21. ghdshop says:

Thanks very much for sharing.
    Ghd hair straighteners are popular around the world for the superior quality and great performance. ghd iv styler are popular till now because of the high quality and world famous brand. Ghd straighteners must be a good assistance if you want to change your hair style.