Battlefield 1943: Coming To PC Before 2043

By Alec Meer on March 29th, 2010 at 10:18 pm.

I have to say I’d written off the last Battlefield game, 1942 sorta-remake 1943, ever arriving on PC. Its console version was yonky-donkeys ago now, and PC gamers at large currently seem very happily ensconced in Battlefield Bad Company 2 anyway. Plus BF3 is also in the not-too-distant pipeline. Too many fields spoil the battle, as the saying never goes. Regardless, DICE have just confirmed that the PC version of 1943 isn’t far off. You can follow that link if you like, but you’ll have to do that agegate crap only to read the following in a slightly different font, so I wouldn’t bother. “Soon our PC fans will also be able to get in on the action that Xbox 360 and PS3 users have been enjoying since July 2009.” So there you go. Only a year late. Footage of the console version below, in case you’re unfamiliar with it.

Watching a video of a game set on a tropical island is a little underwhelming after that Just Cause 2 post, isn’t it? Entirely unintentional cruelty, I assure you.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Hmm says:

I doubt it’ll be popular. Everyone is busy with BC2, can’t imagine those who bought it switching to 1943.

2. Heliosicle says:

I have it on console, its ok I spose, massively streamlined though, unlimited ammo for everything, extremely simple vehicles etc.

I spose it is just a quick downloadable title.

I wonder, did the WW2 level in BFBC2 come before or after they had the idea to bring this out? They obviously just transferred the resources from one to the other.

3. Smurfy says:

Pointing out that “Xbox 360 and PS3 users have been enjoying [it] since July 2009″ seems a bit rude :(

4. Mac says:

I don’t see the point in launching this on PC so late after the console version – BFBC2 is out now and i’m having a lot of fun, but I won’t buy another BF game until BF3 is launched.

If they had released this last year I would have definately bought it … shame really.

5. Lambchops says:

Alec what is this new fangled extra dimension you keep showing us in your posts?
    Although I have to say I’m eagerly anticipating Jim posting about a game that bends the very fabric of time itself . . .

6. Doctor Doc says:

So it’s like the 1942 demo only like BC2 only 3x as dumbed down, sorry, streamlined and with only a handful of players unlike the many years old original.

They also just confirmed that 1943 is now a unsupported product, the promised DLCs will never come. This is really starting to sound like a great deal!

7. dishwasherlove says:

I was hoping they would link it in as cheap DLC for BC2 in order to not segment the community. Of course that was asking a bit too much from DICE.

8. Tzarkahn says:

This looks silly.

Go play BF 2 on Wake Island

or

Bad Company 2
    Why bother with a silly stripped down BF or a fleshed out heroes.

9. Warduke says:

Wow, I can’t believe this is finally going to see the light of day. People have been pleading for months on the BF1943 forum for any news of the pc version with absolutely no response from anyone at EA. The general consensus was that it was scrapped in lieu of BC2. Most reports of this game on Google date back to early/mid 2009. Not exactly a strong endorsement of this game by EA.

10. armlesscorps says:

I’m looking forward to this. To those saying its simple, well its the classic gameplay of the really old battlefield games, so its timeless gameplay that works. I have it on console , and despite only playing it for a short while ( because of the tiny tv i was playing it on) it seemed to have brought back the great gameplay of 1943. Looking forwards to this. Seen as BC2 is unplayable for me I need some BF to play.

11. Jimbo says:

Can’t wait!

Oh, guess I can.

12. rocketman71 says:

Dedis?. If it isn’t going to have LAN and public dedis, don’t bother, EA.

13. the wiseass says:

Can’t relate to all the negativity here. I’m still looking forward to this. BC2 didn’t really scratch my itch for a real Battlefield. I guess this one won’t either but playing “wake island” still has that nostalgia factor that I cannot resist. So I hope this won’t be too watered down.

But no matter what, I’ll be playing this while looking forward to BF3…

14. Miker says:

Hmm, I just picked up Bad Company 2 for $20 this weekend, so I don’t think I’ll really jump at 1943 for $15, not unless they add in a lot of new stuff in the port to PC.

15. Chizu says:

Hot boat on boat action at the start of that vid.

16. Kevbo says:

The only reason anyone should even look at this game is if BC2 doesn’t play for them…. However if BC2 doesn’t play for you then the chances are probably high that this game will also give you problems. If you thought BC2 was ‘consolized’ wait til you play this streamlined made accessible for all mod/game. Can’t believe they wasted any of their PC team’s talent on this, should’ve put them all to work on BF3 which better be made FOR the PC and not some craptastic port…… sigh

17. Web Cole says:

The video has made me NOT want to play it.

18. Javier-de-Ass says:

gamersgate has had the date for it as 5th of may since quite a while ago. last year style. they should really just make it into a downloadable module for bc2, like a reskin that would integrate completely into bc2. although there are already old weapons and that in bc2 I guess heh, make it a map pack

19. wazups2x says:

This was something that should have been released before BF:BC2. Now it’s just pointless to buy it.

20. Oak says:

Hey, dude, look out behind you.

21. Senethro says:

If its released at a sensible price, I’ll buy it. By sensible I mean £9.99. Otherwise they can forget it.

22. ElArabDeMagnifico says:

I bet they know that no one gives a shit about this anymore, but they are probably just releasing it on PC just to stick to their word.

Its a waste of time, effort, and money now though. The only “demographic” I see for this now, is the “my PC can’t run Bad Company 2″ crowd.

23. Arthur Barnhouse says:

I’ll go ahead and defend 1943 for a few reasons. The first is that the maps are slightly smaller than the BC2 maps. Squad play is really great in BC2, but with the squads being forced to spread so far across the map, it makes it impossible to build real defenses. On a map like Wake or Guadalcanal, entrenching yourself into three flags is practical, and there is a reasonable chance of getting to a flag that is being lost from one of the other flag spawn points.

The second is the infinite ammo supplies make it a faster paced game. One of the problems I’ve constantly run into on BC2 is running out of ammo as a medic or as recon. Then I have to wander around with a pistol until I can find an ammo crate. Plus, the recharge time on the rifle grenades and recoilless rifle stop people from being overly spammy.

Third is that it’s a lot more fun to just jump into and play. No fussing with your loadout, no trying to decide if this map is better to with a shotgun. Would you like an M1, a Thompson, or a sniper rifle? Choose the one you like and you’re off to the races. I’m not saying that the loadouts in BC2 are bad, but sometimes you just want to play a simpler game.

Fourth is the home bases. Camping home bases in BC2 has been a real problem, particularly with tanks rolling into the middle of them and just mowing people down as they spawn in. I do not participate in these activities, but it appears the other team is getting points. In 1943, you get no points for kills in the enemy base. Plus two of the three maps have aircraft carriers as the starting spawn, which has boats which which to access all the flags on the island, planes to be able to get into dogfights quickly, and AA guns to take down pesky strafing.

Fifth, and this is more an aesthetic judgement, the aerial bombings are way cooler to watch.

Sixth, and this is just me being a jerk, I really miss using C4 to mine the area around the flag and then blow up jeeps that drive up to them for capturing. People seem to just not do that in Bad Company 2.

24. Tony M says:

As much as I enjoy BC2, 1942 is still my favorite of the BF series, and therefore my favorite multiplayer shooter of all time. Playing it with updated graphics would be fun, wish they had all the maps.

25. Tei says:

In this age of strategy games withouth strategy, a battlefield game for the instasatisfaction crowd …kind of make sense. Maybe not for these that have played the real thing.

I am reading this just after reading Algernon Blackwood classic terror tale, “The Wendigo”, so I can imagine the instaguy playing this and shouting “my feets are on fire, I am running, taking a flag, taking a flag, taking a flag, my kill / death ratio is better, I die , I die, I run, I run, my legs are on fire, I run, I run”.

I have to make a effort to have a “inclusive view of gaming” where all type of games are cool, and good for some people. But this is somewhat like my old friend, but not really my old friend, but a wendigo under his skin.

26. zaglis says:

This would be an amazing no brainer-instabuy 5-7$ game. But at 15$? Yeah, Ill just save up and buy BC2

27. Joseph says:

Any BFBC2 players watching this with extreme deva vu? I’m disappointed they use the exact same models… all copy pasted from/into BFBC2:

sandbags
    two fence types
    poles
    tables and chairs
    guard towers
    3 of the tree and shrub types
    houses
    barrels
    explosive containers
    pallets

No reason for me to buy this part from more maps.

• Joseph says:

And different weapon feel… but yeah i guess those 2 things make the game neway. Jus boring seeing the same old stuff all over again.

28. Manface says:

Am I the only one who HATED the US v. Japan maps in BF42? The only one that was any good was Midway Island and that was because it was a total cluster fuck, but Wake was boring, Iwo Jima was never fun, and Guadalcanal was just horrible.

My personal preferences would have been Berlin, El Alamein, and Omaha.

29. Guy Cole says:

What, is it a zombie shooter? The guy in the picture looks seriously ill. Or undead. You’d think roaming around Pacific islands would have given him a tan or something…

30. roryok says:

This that the guy off MAD Magazine?